Golden Triangle Theater - Redo - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 29Likes

post #61 of 76 Old 03-28-2017, 09:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 729
I had the pleasure of visiting another forum member's theater last year. He built a large curved screen, first using spandex, then later changed to Center Stage XD. Not sure that the curve made any difference once the movie started, but it was certainly an impressive addition to the theater all the same.

Here is a link to BlasterMaster's build thread.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-di...ed-screen.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 76 Old 03-29-2017, 01:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 765
I'll chime in since my screen build thread got posted. I'm going to first of all say right now that I'm a big proponent of 2.35:1 screens for the simple personal belief that a movie like LOTR should be bigger than a movie like Wedding Crashers. Both great films, I'm not judging.

At the end of the day, the screen choice should really be chosen based on the room. I would never choose a screen to accommodate those in the second row - choose the screen where you, the owner, are going to sit the vast majority of the time. Others won't even care or notice any shortcomings that you may notice based on where they sit (from an audio OR visual perspective). Go with the biggest you can based on where you sit. For me, that has always been 2X the screen height. So, if you are sitting 100" away from the screen, go as big as 50". Screen height is the limiting factor here based on our vision, not width. So, if your maximum height is 50 inches, for example, see if you can fit a 2.35:1 screen into that space. If you can, you should definitely do it. Because you're not losing anything anyway - you are still limited by height, so your 16:9 image shouldn't be any bigger anyway - you'll just have pillar boxes on the left and right hand sides vs. letterboxes on the top and bottom. Our peripheral vision can handle the extra width but not the height.

Screen Innovations website has a calculator that will show you what your screen size should be based on your seating distance. If you switch between 16:9 and 2.35:1 you'll see what I'm talking about. Of course, if you're width limited my case is moot.

http://www.screeninnovations.com/too...ting-distance/

As far as the curved screen goes, I'm still enamored with it but I'm also using an anamorphic lens so I suppose I have a legitimate reason to use it. The benefit to having one sans lens is that it really does look cool and it also significantly reduces the light reflections off the side walls (especially important if you have a narrow room) increasing perceived contrast. YMMV.
post #63 of 76 Old 03-29-2017, 03:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Thanks for chiming in guys. I definitely would like a curved screen but, there are cost issues that go with that, plus I'm not real sure I'm going to like it, all the time. I don't just watch movies. Right now, there's a lot of movies being watched because I just upgraded to 4K. But the NBA Playoffs are coming soon and I'll be in there probably every night, then Game of Thrones, then the NFL, then there's Netflix and all that streaming stuff. So, I don't know if a curved screen is really what I'm wanting. It will be great for Game of Thrones, but for the NBA? I don't know. It may be too gimmicky for me. 16:9, however, is definitely happening. I'm limited in my room by 2 factors: room width, and more importantly, throw distance. 10 ft wide is going to max out the width because when all is said and done, the projector will be at about 14' throw from the screen. I may be able to squeeze another few inches but I don't think it will be necessary. The screen's frame will be only a few inches from the wall if I go 120" wide so I think I'm maxed out. And like Brolicbeast said, I can always mask down to 2.40. Masking down from 2.40 to 16:9 is just not what I am wanting to do. The 16:9 image would be smaller than what I have now and I think that's about 50-60% of our viewing. With a 16:9 screen, I am still getting the maximum width for every aspect ratio. Granroth expains this really well in an earlier post in this thread.

So, I'm still pondering whether or not to go curved. Like TMcG said, there's no real benefit other than it looks cool. But it's a big jump in money so there's that. I'm trying to avoid regrets this time around so I hope I'm glad I have plenty of time for you guys to help me make a decision.
TMcG likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 76 Old 03-30-2017, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I watched Planet Earth II for a little bit last night and the color space changed back to 709. I ejected and loaded the disc again and then it went 2020 but it was still SDR. It didn't force the projector into HDR mode. The picture was great but I'm assuming this has to be a cable issue. Any thoughts? I have everything set to Auto on the source and the PJ. This is the first time that I've had an issue since I got this new Sony player and I've watched multiple discs.

I've contacted lovingdvd about Celerity. Brolicbeast said Ethereal has a 50 footer that passed the test for him and then the Sound and Vision article said Bluejeans Cable has a cable that may work. One thing is for sure, the Monoprice Luxe Series is a no go at 40 feet.
post #65 of 76 Old 03-30-2017, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1614 Post(s)
Liked: 1804
Ethereal may do the job today but there is a significant jump in maximum bandwidth specification with HDMI 2.1. Very significant jump as a matter of fact. I believe only the Celerity optical has the additional bandwidth capability / headroom to handle the new standard.

I've said it and lovingDVD has said it....just buy the Celerity and be done with it. As the Chinese Proverb goes: "When you buy quality, you only cry once".
JVoth likes this.
post #66 of 76 Old 03-30-2017, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

PM was sent to lovingdvd.

I'm assuming you prefer a flat screen? I'm assuming it's not a cost factor for you so is it just the same concern that I have or what's the deal? Too Gimmicky? Is that a word?
post #67 of 76 Old 03-30-2017, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Just for everyone's information, a custom gain 120" wide screen from Severtson is under $2000. I think that might be kinda cool to have an acoustically transparent screen that has 1.5-2.4 gain. Especially if the viewing angle isn't too wide like mine. Maybe some of you engineering nerds can speak on this, but I still say, NEAT-O!
post #68 of 76 Old 03-30-2017, 09:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sometimes home theater can be more exciting than meeting Pat Sajak. The anticipation and possibilities can make you lose your mind.

JVoth likes this.
post #69 of 76 Old 03-31-2017, 04:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Go flat. Your projector lens is expecting flat. A curved screen with a 50' or 40' radius brings you almost no benefit at your screen size and seating distance. The radius is too gentle to have the angle of reflection equal the angle of incidence when the expectation is light will be reflected back to your seating position. Realistically, you'd need to have a much tighter radius curve truly limit the amount of light splashing on the walls. Save the money, installation complications and preserve your projector's performance by going flat. Anecdotally, I was involved with Kris Barber's recent theater upgrade plan and lobbied hard to go flat. Kris had curved and wanted to keep the curved and keep with Dennis' advice to stay with curved and a 2-way masking system, but Kris couldn't because he also wanted a four-way masking system. He was really bummed and only reluctantly went with the flat. The moment his lights went out for the first time he was like "Curve schmurve". Side wall reflections were not an issue and the cool factor is not lost.

Go with zero gain. Assuming 0.96 gain for the Seymour Center Stage XD screen material, I was showing nearly 26 ft. lamberts at your screen size and throw distance with that Epson projector. Gain screens are NOT needed in a fully light controlled environment when you already have plenty of light output. Gain will introduce undesirable picture anomalies (sparklies, poorer black levels, hot spotting) without any reason to have a high gain screen.

I would narrow my screen search to Seymour (Enlightor 4K or Center Stage XD) or Falcon (Vision Horizon). Given the choice, I'd seriously consider the Seymour screen with the standard Enlightor 4K material.
JVoth likes this.
post #70 of 76 Old 04-09-2017, 05:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked: 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
Ethereal may do the job today but there is a significant jump in maximum bandwidth specification with HDMI 2.1. Very significant jump as a matter of fact. I believe only the Celerity optical has the additional bandwidth capability / headroom to handle the new standard.

I've said it and lovingDVD has said it....just buy the Celerity and be done with it. As the Chinese Proverb goes: "When you buy quality, you only cry once".

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVoth View Post
I watched Planet Earth II for a little bit last night and the color space changed back to 709. I ejected and loaded the disc again and then it went 2020 but it was still SDR. It didn't force the projector into HDR mode. The picture was great but I'm assuming this has to be a cable issue. Any thoughts? I have everything set to Auto on the source and the PJ. This is the first time that I've had an issue since I got this new Sony player and I've watched multiple discs.

I've contacted lovingdvd about Celerity. Brolicbeast said Ethereal has a 50 footer that passed the test for him and then the Sound and Vision article said Bluejeans Cable has a cable that may work. One thing is for sure, the Monoprice Luxe Series is a no go at 40 feet.

Hey guys, so I have a Celerity Fiber Optic cable and the Ethereal MHX+HDM-GA1 combination BOTH running to my projector from my Lumagen Pro. MHX is connected to Input 1, Celerity is connected to Input 2.

I have heavily tested (both cables into input 1 for testing), and both cables are essentially equal in performance. Very reliable, but I will say that Celerity has stated that their 48gps cable is due out later this year. The existing cable will not handle the full 48gps, so as always, run conduit for future swap outs!

But yeah--can't go wrong with either one. The Celerity is cooler, conceptually: however, it wasn't as "plug and play" as the MHX was. The MHX has a powered accelerator (HDM-GA1)at one end, as opposed to Celerity requiring power on both ends, but the Celerity is better priced--especially if you know who to get in contact with...and it sounds like you do--the lover of a certain legacy disc format ;-)

I have both hooked up to the JVC RS520, so if there are any content torture tests you'd like me to run on one of both cables, HDR or otherwise, let me know and I'll run them. Odds are, we own all the same discs....because we're crazy about this stuff!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
JVoth likes this.
post #71 of 76 Old 04-29-2017, 05:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Been awfully quiet around these parts? S'up??
post #72 of 76 Old 05-01-2017, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
Been awfully quiet around these parts? S'up??
Oh man I know. I've actually had to be patient on the home theater front lately which is not something I'm used to. My youngest is about to go to UT in Austin this summer and we're kind of focused on that. He got accepted into the engineering program (yes I'm bragging) and there are minimum laptop requirements, gotta have stuff for his dorm room, etc. etc.

I guess my life is kinda at the opposite end of where your's is even though we're probably close to the same age. I'm 38 and I'm telling you, it is surreal having a 20 year old and another one that's going to be 18 this month. It is also crippling financially at times. Time to ween both of them.

I just realized that it sounds super trailer trashy when I tell people how old I am, and then how old my kids are. But I promise I live in a single family home and I don't do meth nor do I drive a single cab 80's model Chevy with mine and my wife's names on the back windshield.
BrolicBeast likes this.
post #73 of 76 Old 06-11-2019, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Any updates on this rebuild now since it is 2 years later? Very interested to see how it ended up turning out
post #74 of 76 Old 06-11-2019, 09:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedvadude View Post
Any updates on this rebuild now since it is 2 years later? Very interested to see how it ended up turning out
JVoth has not posted in almost 2 years. I would say he is taking care of the important things in life (kids and their very expensive educations).
Hopefully one day he will return to finish the theater.

So many threads grind to a halt mid-build and long time members regularly drift off into the silence of other hobbies.

Though there is still lots of activity on AVS I can't help but feel that the level of participation, anticipation, and aspiration is a fraction of the past.
Good to see new members sign up and contribute. Enjoy the forums.
mixedvadude likes this.
post #75 of 76 Old 06-12-2019, 04:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post
JVoth has not posted in almost 2 years. I would say he is taking care of the important things in life (kids and their very expensive educations).

Hopefully one day he will return to finish the theater.

So many threads grind to a halt mid-build and long time members regularly drift off into the silence of other hobbies.

Though there is still lots of activity on AVS I can't help but feel that the level of participation, anticipation, and aspiration is a fraction of the past.

Good to see new members sign up and contribute. Enjoy the forums.
Yeah I saw in his previous posts he said he had kids starting college.

And thanks, I've known about the forums forever but just recently decided to join in. Just bought a house with builder grade media room, so I've slowly started to ease into this hobby with what will be my first home theater space.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #76 of 76 Old 06-12-2019, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedvadude View Post
Yeah I saw in his previous posts he said he had kids starting college.

And thanks, I've known about the forums forever but just recently decided to join in. Just bought a house with builder grade media room, so I've slowly started to ease into this hobby with what will be my first home theater space.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Wow! I probably should have shut this thing down. Sorry guys. I sold the house a couple of years ago and we've been RV'in it and now renting. Got a contract on a new house and I guess I'll be starting a new thread soon. I'm still here. I'm only really following Tim's Stonewater thread and Brolic's gym thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page