Official Rhizzle Cinema build thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #61 of 82 Old 04-23-2018, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I finally grabbed a few overall progress pictures from the room.

Also, this weekend we finished getting all of the huge wall frames sanded, painted, and ready for fabric. They are now stacked in the garage.

The room is really looking like something now. Man this has been a long time coming.

Side note, we've been trying to nail down flooring. We want to redo the carpet in the entire basement which including the new theatre room will be about 900 sq ft of coverage.

What is in the rest of the basement now is a rough thin berber carpet What we like so far is a pattern by the brand royalty thats 100% nylon. Apparently Royalty has been bought by Dixie Home and now sells the pattern under there name but the colors look less desirable.

We also found a Mohawk called Horizon series called Natural Artistry. Similar pattern, less bold, but more color choices.
Then it dawned on me that we could have an issue with carpet and padding on a basement slab.

The current finished part of the basement is carpeted, but no padding. No smell, and it feels like a very dry basement. Its a walkout basement, that even on the front side is probably only half below grade. At the back you take 1 step up on the inside to reach the back door.
We've been there 2 years and seen no signs of any moisture issue at all. Just nervous because this whole carpet package is looking like it'll cost over $6000.

We've so far been told by a local immigrant installer that he needs 1300 sqft due to matching the patterns up and the odd shapes of the spaces, and at 30 a yard plus install, it adds up fast.

A local shop is coming by tomorrow to measure out the space and quote it all.

I am not planning to do dricor, and I do not think an impermeable underlayment is a good idea as any moisture that does come through would be trapped.
I'm wondering if we should go with a padding that lets moisture through but doesnt absorb intot he pad fibers, no padding, or go with a fake wood type flooring that lets the moisture escape.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7603.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	816.1 KB
ID:	2394406   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7604.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	784.3 KB
ID:	2394408   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7605.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	949.4 KB
ID:	2394410  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 82 Old 05-07-2018, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

So I have the projector box built At this stage its actually painted black and now wrapped in black fabric.
THe way it works is the bottom main part screws to posts I dropped from the ceiling, and then the two sides slide in from the left and right against the ceiling.

Its large, but looks decent I think.

I did not do a ducted design thats totally sealed. I did effort a bit of a baffle design. Notice the intake on the left side, I built it so the air pulls around that baffle blind corner, and in from the center rear. Should knock down intake noise.

I did NOT however baffle the exhaust as I didnt want tog et a heat buildup inside the box area so I pretty much let that shoot straight out the front at an angle to the right (its natural direction).

I'll add a photo of the finished fabric box on the ceiling. Its ready for the projector to slide in and hook up the wires.

Also we have finished wrapping all of the huge grey fabric panels for the walls between columns. It really wasnt bad.

Now we have to wrap the 7 red column panels, and then I'll be ready to build the equipment rack which will free stand behind the screen. It'll be accessed by removing a small black fabric panel for inserting a DVD or something.

In the future I'm going to cut an access door in the adjacent room with a glass door on it, so you'll open that door and reach into the rack from the next room. That will probe be a year out before I do that.

I'm s close now to hooking up equipment and watching something I can taste it. My speed has picked up and I'm working down there most of the weekend in an effort to push to the finish.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7616.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	874.9 KB
ID:	2399890   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7612.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	904.1 KB
ID:	2399892   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7613.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	921.3 KB
ID:	2399894   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7620.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	1,010.9 KB
ID:	2399896  
post #63 of 82 Old 09-12-2018, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, I thought I came back and updated photos in this thread months ago. I changed jobs in June and took a little time to get the theatre finished up, well 98% finished. I'm tired of working on it, and need to enjoy it, so its done for prob a year till I get bored and touch a couple small details.

Here are the photos!!! enjoy and would love your feedback!

The room with the fridge is one of the playrooms leading into the theatre.
We painted the entire basement.

We're using some furniture we already had for now till we are prepared and able to buy proper seating for the theatre.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7757.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	702.8 KB
ID:	2454494   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7758.JPG
Size:	424.1 KB
ID:	2454496   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7759.JPG
Size:	746.3 KB
ID:	2454498   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7761.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	613.8 KB
ID:	2454502   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7760.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	729.5 KB
ID:	2454504  

Name:	IMG_7762.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	820.0 KB
ID:	2454506   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7764.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	787.2 KB
ID:	2454508   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7763.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	856.5 KB
ID:	2454510   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7765.JPG
Size:	757.3 KB
ID:	2454512  
OJ Bartley likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 82 Old 09-13-2018, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

nothing?

I'm starting to look at dedicated seating for the room.

I actually like to cozy feel of the swivel recliner I have in there. The back sofa is just all we had right now. I hate that red chaise but its a seat for the time being.

As far as permanent seating, I'm torn between going full on comfortable theatre electric recliners, and something hybrid between sofa and recliners and theater seats.

Option A. A set of rear theatre seats, can fit 4 across. I have a 7ft deep rear riser, and a max wall to wall of 128". Would be best to stay under 125" to make sure I can get it in place.
Pondering if I should consider 4 seats divided by armrests with cup holders, or an arrangement with a middle love seat or one where its two love seat arrangements with a middle divided armrest. Gives some flexibility to laydown across the love seat(s) area.

Main row a 3 seat theatre row each seat divided by armrests. The riser here is 7 ft deep and 106" wide.

Option B, a rear row of some kind of modular ikea sectional where it'll be 120"+ wide and seat 4 or be able to lounge and lay down.

Main row: 2 recliners that swivel and rock, and so can turn to face the middle so one can look towards the backrow for conversation or board game purposes.

Option C One of the above mentioned rear row ideas

Main row: Something like the Seatcraft Rialto Flip Arm and do a left loveseat where the primary seat on the right is MY SPOT, and its like theatre seating, but I can flip the middle arm up and lounge on the sofa if I want to.

The front row is currently a bean bag type seat from Costco, that fabric grey one they sell for $99. Its mainly for overflow or kids. I could add seating down there, but for now I like that area as an open play space for the kids.

I'm thinking I'd like to spend under $4000, for the rear and main rows total, would like electric recline, and want to get 7 seats in there. 4&3.

thanks
post #65 of 82 Old 09-13-2018, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhizzlebop View Post
nothing?

I'm starting to look at dedicated seating for the room.

I actually like to cozy feel of the swivel recliner I have in there. The back sofa is just all we had right now. I hate that red chaise but its a seat for the time being.

As far as permanent seating, I'm torn between going full on comfortable theatre electric recliners, and something hybrid between sofa and recliners and theater seats.

Option A. A set of rear theatre seats, can fit 4 across. I have a 7ft deep rear riser, and a max wall to wall of 128". Would be best to stay under 125" to make sure I can get it in place.
Pondering if I should consider 4 seats divided by armrests with cup holders, or an arrangement with a middle love seat or one where its two love seat arrangements with a middle divided armrest. Gives some flexibility to laydown across the love seat(s) area.

Main row a 3 seat theatre row each seat divided by armrests. The riser here is 7 ft deep and 106" wide.

Option B, a rear row of some kind of modular ikea sectional where it'll be 120"+ wide and seat 4 or be able to lounge and lay down.

Main row: 2 recliners that swivel and rock, and so can turn to face the middle so one can look towards the backrow for conversation or board game purposes.

Option C One of the above mentioned rear row ideas

Main row: Something like the Seatcraft Rialto Flip Arm and do a left loveseat where the primary seat on the right is MY SPOT, and its like theatre seating, but I can flip the middle arm up and lounge on the sofa if I want to.

The front row is currently a bean bag type seat from Costco, that fabric grey one they sell for $99. Its mainly for overflow or kids. I could add seating down there, but for now I like that area as an open play space for the kids.

I'm thinking I'd like to spend under $4000, for the rear and main rows total, would like electric recline, and want to get 7 seats in there. 4&3.

thanks
I was thinking if I ever get my theater built it would be these upfront.

https://4seating.com/seatcraft-heavenly-modular-sofa

For the second row this.

https://4seating.com/seatcraft-my-wa...e-seating.html

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #66 of 82 Old 09-13-2018, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post

For the second row this.

That Heavenly is way too big for my space. two wedges and one armless wont fit my main row. Looks comfy though.

The Aspen looks nice, wish the arms would raise up on it for a more loungy experience.

My back row is all the way against the rear of the theatre so not ideal for sound quality so my main row is the primary seating and is right midway of the room length. The front row is for kids or front overflow. Up front you're about 8-9ft off the 120" screen.
post #67 of 82 Old 09-13-2018, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
For the back row you could do these and be off the back some.

https://4seating.com/home-theater-se...er-seating.htm

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #68 of 82 Old 09-14-2018, 12:06 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Congratulations on the theater (and the new job)!! I really like the sliding barn doors. Good job! Must be very nice to finally enjoy the fruits of your labor.

I can see on the crip that you also bring the little one in there. We do that as well with our kids. They love cartoons on the big screen

What are the last 2% that's missing?

My Small Home Theater Build
JVC RS400 / 110" 2.40:1 Curved DIY AT Screen w. Masking / Prismasonic A-Lens / Marantz SR7011 / Emotiva XPA-5 / Behringer EP4000 / Oppo UDP-203 / PS4 Pro / Apple TV 4K / 7.2.2 Surround / DIY LCR's / 4xFI IB3 15" IB Sub
post #69 of 82 Old 09-14-2018, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

For the second row this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Chris View Post
Congratulations on the theater (and the new job)!! I really like the sliding barn doors. Good job! Must be very nice to finally enjoy the fruits of your labor.

I can see on the crip that you also bring the little one in there. We do that as well with our kids. They love cartoons on the big screen

What are the last 2% that's missing?
Thanks, yes our oldest is almost 3 and he loves Mickey on the big screen. Our first movie was one of the Cars movies because you cant enjoy anything in there if they are not entertained. LOL

Remaining items,
1. Make and install door handles on the sliding doors.
2. My buddy is building the small conventional swing door for the rear opening to the playroom, so when he finishes will install that. Will do a rigid handle with some kind of magnet closure on it.
3. All columns have an outlet in the bottom, but for some reason only 3 of those column outlets work. Gonna have to pull down fabric panels from columns and the soffit and chase wire to see where the power stops flowing around the columns.
4. I need to reinstall completely the riser lighting as it got messed up during carpet install so I just pulled it out and will redo it. Dreading this because those little LED connectors for slicing are the worst thing in the world to get to make good connections. I wish there was a better way to do it. Id about pay anything to avoid those little splicers, and I have no confidence they will maintain a good connection. When they were in there previously before carpet one day all sections would work the next one section wouldn't turn red, or wouldn't turn blue, or be off altogether. frustrating!
5. Need to install the LED lighting around the soffit tray.
6. Need to program the smart switches to my SMart things hub so I can control the lights from my phone or a tablet and create scenes.
7. First day in the theatre my son found a sharp object and stated jabbing the fabric walls cause it was fun to see the fabric push into the linacoustic. Luckily it didn't damage the fabric but I'm super cautious about where the beanbag seat is and what toys they have near the wall. In those front sections, I'm gonna pull the fabric panels down and replace the lionacoustic with some OC rigid board insulation so if a bean bag is leaning up on the wall, it wont stretch my fabric and push it into the linacoustic.
8. Need to install the floow speaker terminal cups for floor shakers.
9. Need to installa spacer on the rear floow outlets to bring the outlets up higher to carpet level and get a cover on em. its under the sofa now, so not dangerous but not covered either.
10. On the front screen wall fabric panels, Ineed to take one small panel 12x 6" and remove the staples on the 6" end, and trim about half an inch off that frame, spray paint and rewrap and staple fabric. After carpet those are too tall to install. Also will glue some magnets on the back so its a quick removal to access the DVD tray.
11. Get behind the screen and install the new samsung Bluray player I bought in August.

So, maybe more like 4%? Right now I'm just enjoying it and working on a couple more pressing outside projects like pressure washing and restaining my cedar fence. From what I gather from the neighbors it was installed about 8-9 years ago and has never been treated. A few boards are bowed several inches out, and many staples are pulling out, so need to run in a couple thousand screws, finish cleaning another 100 ft of it on one side, (230 ft x 2 sides originally) and then stain it as soon as my stain shows up in the mail.

Pondering best seating options but wont be till tax return time at minimum.
post #70 of 82 Old 09-14-2018, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
For the back row you could do these and be off the back some.

https://4seating.com/home-theater-se...er-seating.htm
I thought about those, but I really want maximum loungy seating.

Wish there were more reviews on those flip arm Rialto ones. Those look like the perfect solution, but the online ordering of something I've never sat in scares me.
Ladeback likes this.
post #71 of 82 Old 09-14-2018, 07:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Nice work!

I really like the colors and textures you used.

How is noise control with those sliding doors? Are you abe to get any kind of seal?
post #72 of 82 Old 09-14-2018, 07:59 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Thanks, yes our oldest is almost 3 and he loves Mickey on the big screen. Our first movie was one of the Cars movies because you cant enjoy anything in there if they are not entertained. LOL
Haha it was the exact same movie we showed as the first one to our 3 year old son. He loved it! And it was a great excuse for the daddy to get the other two Cars movies on blu-ray

Quote:
7. First day in the theatre my son found a sharp object and stated jabbing the fabric walls cause it was fun to see the fabric push into the linacoustic. Luckily it didn't damage the fabric but I'm super cautious about where the beanbag seat is and what toys they have near the wall. In those front sections, I'm gonna pull the fabric panels down and replace the lionacoustic with some OC rigid board insulation so if a bean bag is leaning up on the wall, it wont stretch my fabric and push it into the linacoustic.
I've never really thought about that, but it makes good sense to have some extra "protection" on those lower fabric panels. Our youngest (<1 year) is definitely in the I-wanna-touch-everything-I-can-get-my-hands-on-age, and those lower fabric panels will most likely see quite a lot of fingers and other objects. Come to think of it, I better order a bit of extra fabric and keep it as a reserve, just in case

My Small Home Theater Build
JVC RS400 / 110" 2.40:1 Curved DIY AT Screen w. Masking / Prismasonic A-Lens / Marantz SR7011 / Emotiva XPA-5 / Behringer EP4000 / Oppo UDP-203 / PS4 Pro / Apple TV 4K / 7.2.2 Surround / DIY LCR's / 4xFI IB3 15" IB Sub
post #73 of 82 Old 09-15-2018, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked: 729
Looks like you have maximized the use of a narrow space with that wall to wall AT screen, nice.
I cringed reading about the hole poking in the wall panels. Thankfully no damage. My almost grown children are more likely to spill Jagermeister on my fabric than poke holes, but I will keep that in mind when the grandchildren start rolling in over the next few years.
I like your ceiling tiles and the barn door. I'm not much for light colors in a theater due to light control issues, but understand not wanting to build a complete black hole for a family space.

Thank you for documenting the build and coming back for an "almost complete" update. So often build threads trail off, either because the owner has lost interest or thinks that the forum has lost interest.
Sometimes wrapping it all up can be a tough slog, but well worth the effort.
I hope you and the family are enjoying the room.

Last edited by DavidK442; 09-15-2018 at 02:04 PM.
post #74 of 82 Old 09-15-2018, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Evazan View Post
Nice work!

I really like the colors and textures you used.

How is noise control with those sliding doors? Are you abe to get any kind of seal?
Thank you! We're USC Gamecock fans and this red was as close as I could get to garnet.

I was nervous about so much grey but I kept trying to find middle ground between me building a theatre room and my wanting a family room. I was nervous about things being too light and she was about too dark. The black ceiling was a tough sell but she admits it looks great now and adds a lot of detail. I also think it helps with high frequency diffusion but no data to back that up

My focus with Columns was to stay as shallow as possible since the room is so narrow.

Honestly we usually don't have the barn doors all the way closed. When it's on down here and I've been upstairs all I can usually hear is the sound of what seems like thunder. I knew those low frequencies would penetrate up because we didn't drywall the ceiling. I bought some rubber gasket trim for the edges of the barn doors but havnt stuck it on yet.

Color wise the walls, barn doors, carpet, soffit, and columns are all grey which was very scary that we were building an ugly room along the way but we've been thrilled at how it turned out.
Dr.Evazan likes this.
post #75 of 82 Old 09-15-2018, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Chris View Post
Haha it was the exact same movie we showed as the first one to our 3 year old son. He loved it! And it was a great excuse for the daddy to get the other two Cars movies on blu-ray

That's awesome. Seeing him with a huge smile watching "giant mickey" pretty much makes it all worth while.

I've never really thought about that, but it makes good sense to have some extra "protection" on those lower fabric panels. Our youngest (<1 year) is definitely in the I-wanna-touch-everything-I-can-get-my-hands-on-age, and those lower fabric panels will most likely see quite a lot of fingers and other objects. Come to think of it, I better order a bit of extra fabric and keep it as a reserve, just in case
Yea that first night I hear my son pushing something. After a few seconds realizing what he was doing, gasping, diving over and in the darkness seeing what looked like holes in my fabric! That was not a good moment. After I went hands on face down on the carpet in disbelief I gathered the strength to look closer and realized the fabric was just pushed into a linaccoustic hole Rubbed across and it disappeared. Elation!!

So yea I figure this rigid board will firm up a few of those high traffic bottom areas. Cudos to GOM on making some strong fabric. I would recommend some extra fabric. I have enough in case I needed to reward 2 more panels. While I was building they discontinued the sensa line. My black front wall is sensa but when I went to order the red I had to buy anchorage, and pretty sure the color is red delicious My grey fabric is FR701 nickel.

My stage is tiny but it does seem to keep the kids off as a natural barrier. If they kick a ball it hits the stage and bounces back so my black fabric goes virtually untouched.
post #76 of 82 Old 09-16-2018, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post
Looks like you have maximized the use of a narrow space with that wall to wall AT screen, nice.
I cringed reading about the hole poking in the wall panels. Thankfully no damage. My almost grown children are more likely to spill Jagermeister on my fabric than poke holes, but I will keep that in mind when the grandchildren start rolling in over the next few years.
I like your ceiling tiles and the barn door. I'm not much for light colors in a theater due to light control issues, but understand not wanting to build a complete black hole for a family space.

Thank you for documenting the build and coming back for an "almost complete" update. So often build threads trail off, either because the owner has lost interest or thinks that the forum has lost interest.
Sometimes wrapping it all up can be a tough slog, but well worth the effort.
I hope you and the family are enjoying the room.

Thanks for the compliments. Really tried hard to have columns but keep them shallow with in wall speakers built in behind the red fabric panel covers.

As I recall it was a Phillips screwdriver my son pushed into the wall panels. I just knew the fabric was destroyed. Amazingly it was not.

Just curious, what colors in my theatre would you call "light"? You talking about the carpet and wall grey? The screen light does reflect off the walls but we don't find it distracting. We are really happy with it.

The carpet is a Mohawk smart strand silk product with a weave pattern. We looked long and hard and considered cheaper options but ultimately decided to spend the money and make it nice and plush with a good padding underneath.
A couple stores quoted us 10k installed for the carpet to cover a total of about 800 sq ft including stairs (we did the whole basement which includes another room off the theatre). However those two stores quoted like 150 and 175 sq yards. I think they sucked at estimating the amount. Anyhow, that stuff is so stain resistant it's scary good. A spill on it just wipes off the fibers like it was never there.

I found another guy who does a lot of installs with several crews and he covered it with 133 yards and had about 6-8 ft of the roll left over. 6k flat so we took that deal. Did a great job.

All in I think I have about 18-19k in this theatre including all materials, hired labor(drywall carpet and electrical su panel connection) and my equipment including receiver Denon x4300, Polk towers and center, svs sub, HTD ceiling and wall speakers, and optima 3700 projector.

The screen was a silver something off amazon for about 300-400 as I recall

Oh....and 14 months of my labor.

The barn doors my buddy built for me for free but I bought all materials which were rustic fake old barn wood pine boards from lowes. They usuall ran $13 per board. One lowes put them on sale for 6.50-8 each and I used 20% off coupons and 10% off gift cards to pay around 4-5 per board. The barn door hardware came from aba hardware in Utah. Google them. Nice guys. Those doors are so heavy and thick that I wanted hardware capable of the weight hanging out there. Most hardware I saw said 100-120 lb per door and these I figure weigh prob 150+ each. They have a 3/4 sheet of plywood core in the middle of those boards. Oh just remembered I have slow close hardware I need to install on the rails to prevent any chance of a kid closing the door on their finger.

Last edited by Rhizzlebop; 09-16-2018 at 06:06 AM.
post #77 of 82 Old 09-16-2018, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter

So about these theatre seats, still trying to figure out good options. Anyone have experience with flip arm theatre seats that can double as a sofa I can lounge on.

One review I read said they were not for tall people I'm 6'3". And my wife is 5'10". but some people would complain about a gold bar being too heavy.
post #78 of 82 Old 09-16-2018, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just curious, what colors in my theatre would you call "light"? You talking about the carpet and wall grey? The screen light does reflect off the walls but we don't find it distracting. We are really happy with it.
Yes, the carpet, but as it extends to the rest of the basement the lighter color was obviously the way to go.
Guess I have been spending too much time in the Black Out thread, which is now 171 pages long.

Quote:
All in I think I have about 18-19k in this theatre including all materials, hired labor(drywall carpet and electrical su panel connection) and my equipment including receiver Denon x4300, Polk towers and center, svs sub, HTD ceiling and wall speakers, and optima 3700 projector.
The screen was a silver something off amazon for about 300-400 as I recall. Oh....and 14 months of my labor.
The average person would say $20k to "watch tv" is crazy but we know better. That is quite reasonable for the end product, especially considering many of the crazy builds out there.

Quote:
The barn doors my buddy built for me for free but I bought all materials which were rustic fake old barn wood pine boards from lowes. They usuall ran $13 per board. One lowes put them on sale for 6.50-8 each and I used 20% off coupons and 10% off gift cards to pay around 4-5 per board. The barn door hardware came from aba hardware in Utah. Google them. Nice guys. Those doors are so heavy and thick that I wanted hardware capable of the weight hanging out there. Most hardware I saw said 100-120 lb per door and these I figure weigh prob 150+ each. They have a 3/4 sheet of plywood core in the middle of those boards. Oh just remembered I have slow close hardware I need to install on the rails to prevent any chance of a kid closing the door on their finger.
Impressive. Yes, slow close hardware to keep little fingers from harm is a good idea.

Quote:
So about these theatre seats, still trying to figure out good options. Anyone have experience with flip arm theatre seats that can double as a sofa I can lounge on.
One review I read said they were not for tall people I'm 6'3". And my wife is 5'10". but some people would complain about a gold bar being too heavy.
My only experience is with a good quality reclining sofa and a cheap reclining sofa. They both lasted about the same amount of time and they were both terrible for laying down on. The kids could sleep there when they were younger, but I never did. Now falling asleep while reclined in the seat (usually mid-movie) is another matter.
post #79 of 82 Old 09-16-2018, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post
Yes, the carpet, but as it extends to the rest of the basement the lighter color was obviously the way to go.
Guess I have been spending too much time in the Black Out thread, which is now 171 pages long.

The average person would say $20k to "watch tv" is crazy but we know better. That is quite reasonable for the end product, especially considering many of the crazy builds out there.

Impressive. Yes, slow close hardware to keep little fingers from harm is a good idea.

My only experience is with a good quality reclining sofa and a cheap reclining sofa. They both lasted about the same amount of time and they were both terrible for laying down on. The kids could sleep there when they were younger, but I never did. Now falling asleep while reclined in the seat (usually mid-movie) is another matter.

Gotcha. Are you still planning yours, building currently, or just enjoying others progress?

I hope it actually adds value to our house. Been thinking about getting an appraisal done to see if I can get my PMI dropped off. I asked a realtor once what she thought the value bump might be and she spoke with her partner and said it would wildly depend on the appraiser since there are virtually no comps. She said maybe 10k, maybe 25k, maybe 40k. All over the place. I built it for the enjoyment but value would be a nice side effect. Issue is no one knows or can see all the effort behind the fabric and screen and put a proper value to that. If it added 20k I could get my PMI dropped and I do think in my opinion it has the wow factor necessary to do that.

Thanks. Still researching seating. Gonna be at least a few months maybe longer cause we are looking now into adding a screened porch to the back of the house so will prob consume our extra cash for another year.
post #80 of 82 Old 09-16-2018, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Gotcha. Are you still planning yours, building currently, or just enjoying others progress?

I hope it actually adds value to our house. Been thinking about getting an appraisal done to see if I can get my PMI dropped off. I asked a realtor once what she thought the value bump might be and she spoke with her partner and said it would wildly depend on the appraiser since there are virtually no comps. She said maybe 10k, maybe 25k, maybe 40k. All over the place. I built it for the enjoyment but value would be a nice side effect. Issue is no one knows or can see all the effort behind the fabric and screen and put a proper value to that. If it added 20k I could get my PMI dropped and I do think in my opinion it has the wow factor necessary to do that.

Thanks. Still researching seating. Gonna be at least a few months maybe longer cause we are looking now into adding a screened porch to the back of the house so will prob consume our extra cash for another year.
I have a small, inexpensive theater that was completed several years ago, though little upgrades keep sneaking in. (it is linked in my signature)
I have been contemplating theater 2.0 in a completely different space for some time, but seem to be getting lazier in my middle age so who knows.
Personally I do not think adding a theater to your house adds any value. If the basement was unfinished before and now as part of the theater, it is finished, then yes. I consider this a hobby with all money lost...like fishing...racing cars...or drinking. At least those are the other options I give my wife when she raises her eyebrows at the theater.
post #81 of 82 Old 11-27-2018, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Just to revive my build thread....
No further build progress has occurred, however I have decided to order some Belmont powered chairs from HTMarket.com

A row of 3 and a row of 4.

I am looking into some seat shakers now and would like advise and suggestions.

When I built the room I ran two speaker wires to EACH row of seating. My main row will have 3 chairs, back row will have 4.

My front riser is 9" high, 7ft by 8.5'. It butts directly against my high riser of 18" which is 7ft by 10.5ft wide.

I cannot get UNDER the front riser, as carpet has been installed in a permanent fashion around onto and over the risers.
I built an access under my high riser from the adjacent room whereas I can crawl under and possibly just reach the back edge of the low riser.

My options here are to install 2 shakers onto the back face of the low riser hidden underneath the the high riser, or just install some kind of shakers into the seats.

I understand from another post, that shakers on the HTdesign seats is tough.

I've read great things about the MQB-1 earthquakes, and at 160 each, I could buy a couple of these.

I don't know if these are big enough to shake the risers or not. My low riser has 4 ft touching the floor with rubber uboat isolators in contact with the concrete slab located about 1 ft off each corner. It is tied directly into the upper riser which contacts the floor in 6 locations, same Uboat isolators on the contact points.

I cannot afford 7 earthquakes in 7 seats. I'm also looking at the little Aura shakers at $40 each easily palatable.

However, i'm not sure how I would wire 3 shakers under 3 seats in a row unless I figure some way to run a third speakerwire, but even then thats gonna complicate the amp situation.

Also looking at the inuk1000dsp or the 3000dsp but don't really know much about amps. It needs to be QUIET since it sits in an open rack I built thats directly behind the end of my AT screen.

Help and suggestions appreciated.
post #82 of 82 Old 06-19-2019, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Just to revive my build thread....
No further build progress has occurred, however I have decided to order some Belmont powered chairs from HTMarket.com

A row of 3 and a row of 4.

I am looking into some seat shakers now and would like advise and suggestions.

When I built the room I ran two speaker wires to EACH row of seating. My main row will have 3 chairs, back row will have 4.

My front riser is 9" high, 7ft by 8.5'. It butts directly against my high riser of 18" which is 7ft by 10.5ft wide.

I cannot get UNDER the front riser, as carpet has been installed in a permanent fashion around onto and over the risers.
I built an access under my high riser from the adjacent room whereas I can crawl under and possibly just reach the back edge of the low riser.

My options here are to install 2 shakers onto the back face of the low riser hidden underneath the the high riser, or just install some kind of shakers into the seats.

I understand from another post, that shakers on the HTdesign seats is tough.

I've read great things about the MQB-1 earthquakes, and at 160 each, I could buy a couple of these.

I don't know if these are big enough to shake the risers or not. My low riser has 4 ft touching the floor with rubber uboat isolators in contact with the concrete slab located about 1 ft off each corner. It is tied directly into the upper riser which contacts the floor in 6 locations, same Uboat isolators on the contact points.

I cannot afford 7 earthquakes in 7 seats. I'm also looking at the little Aura shakers at $40 each easily palatable.

However, i'm not sure how I would wire 3 shakers under 3 seats in a row unless I figure some way to run a third speakerwire, but even then thats gonna complicate the amp situation.

Also looking at the inuk1000dsp or the 3000dsp but don't really know much about amps. It needs to be QUIET since it sits in an open rack I built thats directly behind the end of my AT screen.

Help and suggestions appreciated.
Nice thread, have enjoyed browsing it. I just read about this new "invention" that is literally going VIRAL on here, the BOSS, which may work well for your situation. Particularly the version attached inside chairs, or the version that is a 1.75" thick platform:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...y-theater.html

Since you haven't posted for about six months, you may have already found this...

Hardware and System engineer. Enjoy theaters, automation, media and the outdoors.
Love the hobby, but always have to remember to keep family first!
"The Escape Pod" - First Theater Build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page