523Likes

post #301 of 443 Old 11-19-2017, 02:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi1982 View Post
Absolutely it was! And sounds freaking amazing! @SierraMikeBravo did a fantastic job of turning the room into a true theater! Heck, sounds better than a LOT of theaters actually lol

Will post pre/post calibration screens soon
Sweet glad it all worked out!

Funny story, was getting a new basement fridge delivered yesterday, delivery guy says cool man cave. My house is in a bit of disarray due to construction but I show him the lowest level with in progress theater, etc. He says wow cool, I met this guy the other day, coolest thing ever, he had a full theme theater, Star Wars, set up some theater chairs for him.

Light bulb moment, huh, yeah I think I know who that might be...funny coincidence.
jedi1982 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 443 Old 11-19-2017, 04:22 PM

Soundproofing

How’s the soundproofing? I remember seeing you talked to Ted White and used IB-3 clips some places. Did you use IB-1 or whisper clips for the rest?
post #303 of 443 Old 11-19-2017, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgo10000 View Post
How’s the soundproofing? I remember seeing you talked to Ted White and used IB-3 clips some places. Did you use IB-1 or whisper clips for the rest?
Yes he used clips and channel on the ceiling, soffit and walls. Check out page 3 starting on post #65 and on pown the page.
jedi1982 likes this.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #304 of 443 Old 11-19-2017, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViciousDelicious View Post
Amazing thread and awesome awe inspiring looking threater!

I haven't heard a lot about Triad speakers myself but really looking forward to your impressions when it's all hooked!
You're going with a 2 sub configuration here, right? Any base trapping to even out the modes or is the idea that with the room in room build the modes won't be as much of an issue?
So far I'm very impressed with the entire setup! Post calibration gave me geek laughs last night

Yes I have dual Rythmik FV15HP subs and the riser acts as one big bass trap, plus the room dimensions and overall build were designed to minimize (or eliminate) any nulls.
post #305 of 443 Old 11-19-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
Yes he used clips and channel on the ceiling, soffit and walls. Check out page 3 starting on post #65 and on pown the page.
I have previously read this thread probably 3 times all the way through and scanned it again to make sure I was asking questions that hadn’t been answered before I posted. It was lost on you but cool.

The point was, how well did the soundproofing work and the specifics of what he used? Neither of which are currently available in the thread.
post #306 of 443 Old 11-20-2017, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgo10000 View Post
I have previously read this thread probably 3 times all the way through and scanned it again to make sure I was asking questions that hadn’t been answered before I posted. It was lost on you but cool.

The point was, how well did the soundproofing work and the specifics of what he used? Neither of which are currently available in the thread.
Ah, got it! It worked very well. I'll post screenshots later of pre/post calibration results. Got it pretty flat. The projector got as good as could for the unit for both SD and HDR. While the graph on those won't look absolutely pristine, it's the limitations of the projector itself. However, the image still looks fantastic and had a chance to play some Star Wars: Battlefront 2 last night in HDR on my PS4 Pro lol

To answer your specific question though, I'm not sure what my final STC wound up being, but when you close that door, you can't hear any outside noise unless someone yells really loud. Also, when you're outside the room, the only time you really hear / feel anything is playing at reference levels in crazy explosive scenes. My true reference volume is 87.5 db on my receiver and can hardly ever see me playing at that as it's loud!! I typically have played it between 70-75 on receiver and can't really hear anything outside the door in the adjacent rooms.

Last edited by jedi1982; 11-20-2017 at 07:59 AM.
post #307 of 443 Old 11-20-2017, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
For that size of the room I would personally go with at least 4 subs Having room dimensions perfect (golden ratio?) to not have to deal with modes is amazing, in my given room we have to work a bit on the 25-30 range to not get a suck out. A good acoustician can get it really good though, just needs to know how treat the room.

I heard battlefront has amazing sound. Are you running it in Atmos?
post #308 of 443 Old 11-20-2017, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViciousDelicious View Post
For that size of the room I would personally go with at least 4 subs Having room dimensions perfect (golden ratio?) to not have to deal with modes is amazing, in my given room we have to work a bit on the 25-30 range to not get a suck out. A good acoustician can get it really good though, just needs to know how treat the room.

I heard battlefront has amazing sound. Are you running it in Atmos?
Having a good designer/acoustician is definitely the way to go and am very glad I decided to use @SierraMikeBravo and is one of the best decisions I made with this build! He was at my house for about a total of 16 hours dialing in everything correctly
freestylr likes this.
post #309 of 443 Old 11-20-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Ah, got it! It worked very well. I'll post screenshots later of pre/post calibration results. Got it pretty flat. The projector got as good as could for the unit for both SD and HDR. While the graph on those won't look absolutely pristine, it's the limitations of the projector itself. However, the image still looks fantastic and had a chance to play some Star Wars: Battlefront 2 last night in HDR on my PS4 Pro lol

To answer your specific question though, I'm not sure what my final STC wound up being, but when you close that door, you can't hear any outside noise unless someone yells really loud. Also, when you're outside the room, the only time you really hear / feel anything is playing at reference levels in crazy explosive scenes. My true reference volume is 87.5 db on my receiver and can hardly ever see me playing at that as it's loud!! I typically have played it between 70-75 on receiver and can't really hear anything outside the door in the adjacent rooms.
Thanks.

Battlefront 2 in HDR, wow, awesome.
jedi1982 likes this.
post #310 of 443 Old 11-21-2017, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thought I'd post some updated pics now as the lighting and steps were all corrected last week. My plan over the weekend is to get the columns and area beneath the stage wrapped with fabric. Then next week will try to get the black plexiglass that will cover the projector box cut and should then be complete!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	red.jpg
Views:	1601
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	2319178   Click image for larger version

Name:	white.jpg
Views:	1604
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	2319180   Click image for larger version

Name:	stage.jpg
Views:	1601
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	2319182  
post #311 of 443 Old 11-23-2017, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ok I have some information to share regarding the calibration. First off, let me start by saying that if you are going to be doing a dedicated home theater build, calibrating it is an absolute MUST! I thought the equipment sounded good before...holy cow what a difference after calibration! There are items in the audio track that I have never heard before.

For my system, @SierraMikeBravo calibrated the LCR + dual subs. We can't find the pre-calibration graph for audio but have the post-calibration results.

As you can see, we got a pretty flat response and can tell you from what I remember about the pre-calibration, the pre wasn't TOO terrible but had noticeable peaks and valleys. Playing through several songs on Shawn's demo disc, you could definitely hear the difference with no calibration and then hitting a button to enable the calibrated results. The calibration took out a lot of the "noise" and garbled-ness (best way I can describe it lol). Keep in mind, prior to calibration, I thought the track sounded great but after the calibration, hearing the difference was night and day as was much cleaner and defined.

Like I mentioned above, post-calibration, I'm now able to hear details in the audio track in movies that I didn't necessarily hear before. The experience is very cool

The video calibration was a bit tougher to dial in. The limitations are really with the projector itself. For a $2,500 projector though, the out of box settings aren't too bad and after calibration of both the SDR and HDR, the results are as good as they can get. Green was the problem child though. I do have the 2 settings saved to memory (SD and HDR) and gotta say, playing Star Wars: Battlefront 2 in HDR is very cool lol

*edit* will have to repost video results as something went wrong with the files
Ladeback likes this.

Last edited by jedi1982; 11-23-2017 at 08:54 AM.
post #312 of 443 Old 11-24-2017, 07:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2094 Post(s)
Liked: 2980
WOW, and WOW

You have achieve so much work, since you and I talk through these thread.
Very well done and so impressive!!!

Since it as been so long, I skim through the last few pages, and went to see the finish product
Around page 4, you had a hard wood floor, on the final page it is carpet (my first choice).
Did you change your mind, or the carpet was lay over the hard wood floor, if so why?

Either way, very well done and enjoy
Will also post on the Aperion thread about your question!

Ray
jedi1982 likes this.
post #313 of 443 Old 11-24-2017, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
WOW, and WOW

You have achieve so much work, since you and I talk through these thread.
Very well done and so impressive!!!

Since it as been so long, I skim through the last few pages, and went to see the finish product
Around page 4, you had a hard wood floor, on the final page it is carpet (my first choice).
Did you change your mind, or the carpet was lay over the hard wood floor, if so why?

Either way, very well done and enjoy
Will also post on the Aperion thread about your question!

Ray
Thank you! I actually didn't post it as a question but was rather a statement knowing others might be wanting to know what I was using lol

Regarding the floor, it was always rubber on the concrete then OSB as was planning on doing nice pad + carpet and love the end result
post #314 of 443 Old 11-26-2017, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2094 Post(s)
Liked: 2980
Quote:
Thank you! I actually didn't post it as a question but was rather a statement knowing others might be wanting to know what I was using lol

Regarding the floor, it was always rubber on the concrete then OSB as was planning on doing nice pad + carpet and love the end result

This the result, of what happen when doing speed reading, trying to catch-up
From the picture, it look like hard wood floor, my bad

And Yes, the end result look Outstanding

Ray
jedi1982 likes this.
post #315 of 443 Old 11-28-2017, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Gotta pick up some kind of pnuematic or powered staple gun to finish installing the fabric track along columns and under screen. Should only take a few more hours worth of work to do that and install the fabric into the track.

I'm considering https://www.arrowfastener.com/tool/t50dcd/ but am wondering if anyone has used that before.

I also called the plastic place I had cut my plexiglass and they will be form fitting the black piece that will go on the front of the projector box and cutting the hole for the lens. When these 2 things are complete, the theater will be at 100%!
post #316 of 443 Old 11-28-2017, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 475
I have not seen that one but I did pick up this one for $34CAN https://www.arrowfastener.com/tool/pt50/

Very compact (smallest pneumatic stapler I?ve seen) and works very well for fabric.
post #317 of 443 Old 11-28-2017, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1614 Post(s)
Liked: 1809
Quote:
I also called the plastic place I had cut my plexiglass and they will be form fitting the black piece that will go on the front of the projector box and cutting the hole for the lens. When these 2 things are complete, the theater will be at 100%!

Wait....you’re installing Plexiglass in front of the projector lens?
post #318 of 443 Old 11-28-2017, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahuzz13 View Post
I have not seen that one but I did pick up this one for $34CAN https://www.arrowfastener.com/tool/pt50/

Very compact (smallest pneumatic stapler I?ve seen) and works very well for fabric.
Cool, will look into it. My only concern is, will it staple through the plastic fabric track into MDF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
Wait....you’re installing Plexiglass in front of the projector lens?
Yes, the projector box will have the black plexiglass covering but will have a 7.5" hole cut for the lens
post #319 of 443 Old 11-28-2017, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Then you definitely need a pneumatic one not an electric or battery operated. This one will do the trick but if you want to spend some money buy the Porta Cable Stapler if you are worried but I don?t think should worry it will do the job. It only does up to a 9/16 staple so not sure the length you need.
post #320 of 443 Old 11-28-2017, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I have a Stanley TRE500 that worked great on fabric acoustical panels...I was using 3/8" staples into poplar frames and it would drive them almost all the way in...used a small hammer to drive them flush...ended up going to a 5/16" staple and it worked a little better but still had to give them a little love tap to flush them up...key was to push and hold it down firmly and they would drive in flush...I figure this out about 10 staples from being done (after approx 1000 staples)...had I not been stapling upside down it would have given me more leverage...but the pressure is the key...

go with the pneumatic...that is one serious stapler...

Denon x4300H
Ascend Acoustics CMT 340 L/C/R with HTM 200 Surrounds
Rythmik LVX12
Oppo 203
(2) V.B.S.S w/ NX3000D
post #321 of 443 Old 11-28-2017, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggere View Post
I have a Stanley TRE500 that worked great on fabric acoustical panels...I was using 3/8" staples into poplar frames and it would drive them almost all the way in...used a small hammer to drive them flush...ended up going to a 5/16" staple and it worked a little better but still had to give them a little love tap to flush them up...key was to push and hold it down firmly and they would drive in flush...I figure this out about 10 staples from being done (after approx 1000 staples)...had I not been stapling upside down it would have given me more leverage...but the pressure is the key...

LOL oh man...that sounds like something that would happen to me right at completion and have a "D'Oh!" moment
post #322 of 443 Old 11-29-2017, 10:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Amazing work on this. The fabric panels you made are outstanding.

You used almost identical dimensions for your light panels as I did in my Lego theater

femi likes this.

Commence Primary Ignition Theater. Anthem MRX 710 / Sony UBP-X700 / Sony VPL HW40Es / Dual SVS PB 1000s / Martin Logan 50XT (c), Lx16 (r/l), FX (sr/sl), Motion 4 (sbl/sbr)
post #323 of 443 Old 11-30-2017, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneeds View Post
Amazing work on this. The fabric panels you made are outstanding.

You used almost identical dimensions for your light panels as I did in my Lego theater

Nice!! My plans did call for additional detail above the panels like you have, but lost that room with the soffit drop. Love your room!
post #324 of 443 Old 11-30-2017, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1614 Post(s)
Liked: 1809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneeds View Post
Nice theater. And thanks for scratching my OCD itch with that sublime vacuum sweeper job!
bpassman likes this.
post #325 of 443 Old 12-02-2017, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Someone asked a while back to show my rack! I thought that was kind of a personal question, but hey, what they heck!

From the bottom up is:
-Outlaw 5000 (x2)
-Outlaw M2200 (x3)
-Autonomics 6 zone amplifier
-Denon X4300H
-Coolerguys dual 120mm temp controlled fans
-Mirage 2 stream audio server
-miniDSP 10x10HD
-Savant 8x8 video matrix
-Lorex security NVR
-ATT Uverse (x2) boxes + DVR
-Savant controller
-ATT modem
-ASUS AC1900 (ASUS AC-RP68U upstairs)
-Savant host
-Araknis 24 port switcher

And the madness behind what makes it all work...

Here's where it is located in proximity to the theater (door is shut)

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rack.jpg
Views:	1100
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	2324438   Click image for larger version

Name:	spaghetti.jpg
Views:	1093
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	2324440   Click image for larger version

Name:	entrance.jpg
Views:	1091
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	2324442  
post #326 of 443 Old 12-09-2017, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Got the front columns and side of the columns wrapped with fabric track/fabric last night and today! Each front facing column took me about an hour each and then the sides of the columns took about 30 min each. I would've had this done sooner but didn't have a pneumatic staple gun! Borrowed one to get the job done

Here's what it originally looked like up close after I installed the track

And then here's a front view with the right column already completed

and viola! Left side completed. The part where the track meets the side wall was a pain!

Here's a shot where I got the side of the column next to the screen completed as well. Looks great!

And the complete columns

Next up is to finish out the area beneath the screen. I hope to tackle this tomorrow and be done with it!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	track.jpg
Views:	922
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	2328372   Click image for larger version

Name:	both sides.jpg
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	2328374   Click image for larger version

Name:	finishedleft.jpg
Views:	925
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	2328376   Click image for larger version

Name:	completedright.jpg
Views:	925
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	2328378   Click image for larger version

Name:	frontcomplete.jpg
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	2328380  

post #327 of 443 Old 12-10-2017, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Are you using a HTPC? if so change the background to something like
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Executorbridge.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	2328884  
DavidinCT likes this.
post #328 of 443 Old 12-10-2017, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoridium View Post
lol sadly I'm not so can't do that. Great idea though!
post #329 of 443 Old 12-10-2017, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

ALL OF THE FABRIC TRACK AND FABRIC INSTALL IS COMPLETE!! I just have the center removable panel below the screen to finish up. It's framed and painted, just need to wrap and staple the fabric to it then install the velcro to secure it. Here's some pics of what I did installing the areas beneath the screen.

Not sure why this color/pic quality looks like the way it does, but at least you can see up close what I did...

And here's both sides ready to have the fabric installed

Then the final look

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	frame.jpg
Views:	867
Size:	308.4 KB
ID:	2328890   Click image for larger version

Name:	double.jpg
Views:	874
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	2328892   Click image for larger version

Name:	complete.jpg
Views:	869
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	2328894  
nathan_h, JPeezy13 and DavidK442 like this.
post #330 of 443 Old 12-11-2017, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoridium View Post

Nice picture, Maybe I should create a HTPC Windows Media Center theme.... Even though WMC has been killed by Microsoft, it still works perfect and is a nice front end for a theater as it's got TV, Movies, Music, and even streaming sources can be added...

To the OP, Love the theater design...it's coming out awesome !

-Dave

MCSE 2003
Windows Media Center specialist - MVP and Certified Home Theater specialist

Avid gamer and home theater junkie..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page