Forum Jump: 
 523Likes

post #361 of 443 Old 12-18-2017, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Is your equipment room behind your screen wall? Any trouble transmitting signal to the projector yet? Further, did you use standard hdmi cables for that longer run? I might have missed it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 443 Old 12-18-2017, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by kohlgren View Post
wow! amazing 'the force theater' project. nice work, no exceptional work

now if i can only get back the last 4 hours it took to go thru this whole thread [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.avsforum.com/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
Lol I hear you as I've sunk a great many hours into various threads as well glad you enjoyed this one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma722 View Post
Is your equipment room behind your screen wall? Any trouble transmitting signal to the projector yet? Further, did you use standard hdmi cables for that longer run? I might have missed it.
Nope! Take a look at (I believe) the previous page where I posted a few pics of my equipment rack. You'll see that is all located in an A/V closet just outside of the theater. I have 2 conduits that were run from the A/V closet. One goes to the projector box and the other to behind the screen.

The HDMI cables for projector and OPPO are Ruipro due to the longer length for best quality and have 1 Monoprice HDMI (forgot off top of my head which one) going to PS4 Pro and then 2 Dynex ones for aux HDMIs.

Regarding getting signal to my gear, I use Savant for my home automation so is all controlled via WiFi. Thankfully no signal issues there!
post #363 of 443 Old 12-19-2017, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi1982 View Post
The HDMI cables for projector and OPPO are Ruipro due to the longer length for best quality and have 1 Monoprice HDMI (forgot off top of my head which one) going to PS4 Pro and then 2 Dynex ones for aux HDMIs.
i have a 25 foot hdmi cable between the avr and tv. it worked fine until it didn't
the reason i bring this up is that i ordered 2 more to keep a spare 25 foot cable around
long hdmi cable are only available by mail order, even if i could find one locally it would have cost me bucu bucks

Quote:
no exceptional work
my bad, i missed a comma that should have been ''no, exceptional work'' but i think you got my point

science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #364 of 443 Old 12-19-2017, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohlgren View Post
i have a 25 foot hdmi cable between the avr and tv. it worked fine until it didn't
the reason i bring this up is that i ordered 2 more to keep a spare 25 foot cable around
long hdmi cable are only available by mail order, even if i could find one locally it would have cost me bucu bucks

my bad, i missed a comma that should have been ''no, exceptional work'' but i think you got my point
LOL yep I got ya. I really hope neither of my ruipros go out because, at least getting the one from the stage through the conduit to the A/V rack, will be a nightmare with how tight everything is with all the cabling!
post #365 of 443 Old 12-20-2017, 02:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Impressive... Most impressive.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk
jedi1982 likes this.
post #366 of 443 Old 12-20-2017, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argent65 View Post
Impressive... Most impressive.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk
The complete quote! Thank you
post #367 of 443 Old 12-20-2017, 07:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Awesome theater!!! I am sure Darth Vader approves
jedi1982 likes this.
post #368 of 443 Old 12-20-2017, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gondey99 View Post
Awesome theater!!! I am sure Darth Vader approves
Thank you!
post #369 of 443 Old 12-20-2017, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Wow! this is what happens when I leave the forums for way too long, and amazing build pops up.

A friend told me the other day, and I quote "You REALLY need to go check out the Build section on AVS again". I was a little confused but told him ummmmmmm okay, when I get some down time been busy, why? what is it? he walked away. The top of the list was... Force Theater...........ooooOOOh yeah! That must have been what he was referencing I would like. Sweeeeeet build man, I could go on and on about how cool this build is. I am sure if I think about it some more I could think of things I would add. But for now I would just say, enjoy it . This is usually the part when I would make some StarWars reference or quote but I am just speechless after seeing all of this build...... I got nothing
jedi1982 likes this.
post #370 of 443 Old 12-20-2017, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamest View Post
Wow! this is what happens when I leave the forums for way too long, and amazing build pops up.

A friend told me the other day, and I quote "You REALLY need to go check out the Build section on AVS again". I was a little confused but told him ummmmmmm okay, when I get some down time been busy, why? what is it? he walked away. The top of the list was... Force Theater...........ooooOOOh yeah! That must have been what he was referencing I would like. Sweeeeeet build man, I could go on and on about how cool this build is. I am sure if I think about it some more I could think of things I would add. But for now I would just say, enjoy it . This is usually the part when I would make some StarWars reference or quote but I am just speechless after seeing all of this build...... I got nothing
haha that's the way our little guy and I felt when we saw the Star Wars characters in person at Disney last year...normally we talk a lot, but at that moment, speechless

Appreciate it!
post #371 of 443 Old 01-02-2018, 10:11 PM
d_c
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 233 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked: 1554
post #372 of 443 Old 01-03-2018, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked: 729
Quote:
I now present to you the fully armed and operational battlesta...er...Force Theater!!!
Spectacular! Congratulations on completing such an impressive build.
I'm sure you and your family will enjoy countless hours exploring other worlds and saving the galaxy.
jedi1982 likes this.
post #373 of 443 Old 01-03-2018, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post
Spectacular! Congratulations on completing such an impressive build.
I'm sure you and your family will enjoy countless hours exploring other worlds and saving the galaxy.
Thank you sir! We were able to get in plenty of time over Christmas break with movie watching and video game play I must say that playing Star Wars: Battlefront 2 in HDR in there is simply AWESOME!!

I usually use the Millennium Falcon / Tie Fighter chase scene from Jakku as a demo for folks but might also start using the Mines of Moria tomb fight scene from Fellowship of the Ring as was simply blown away. Although, my wife bought me the Harry Potter saga in 4k for Christmas and those movies are ones that I can actually hear very clearly the use of Atmos which is very cool
JPeezy13, DavidK442 and Ladeback like this.
post #374 of 443 Old 01-03-2018, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_c View Post
Awesome! KC January movie night at your place?
Hah! Will have to talk with the wife and see about clearing some time in 2018 for this but would be neat to have some folks from the K.C. area drive down for a movie night
chirpie and Ladeback like this.
post #375 of 443 Old 01-04-2018, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I forgot that a while back, there was a request to upload a pic of the house to show how it turned out

and here's what it looked like on Dec 23

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front.jpg
Views:	1040
Size:	460.5 KB
ID:	2340466   Click image for larger version

Name:	back.jpg
Views:	1038
Size:	582.0 KB
ID:	2340468   Click image for larger version

Name:	snow.jpg
Views:	1048
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	2340470  
post #376 of 443 Old 01-05-2018, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
I now present to you the fully armed and operational battlesta...er...Force Theater!!!
Beautiful theater. Well planned and executed. Congratulations!
jedi1982 likes this.

My in progress build thread: The Salt Mine
post #377 of 443 Old 01-05-2018, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStripe88 View Post
Beautiful theater. Well planned and executed. Congratulations!
Thank you!
post #378 of 443 Old 01-06-2018, 03:06 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Beautiful theater and beautiful house, Jedi - thanks for sharing!!!

How many hours have you clocked down there so far? A LOT would be my guess
jedi1982 likes this.

My Small Home Theater Build
JVC RS400 / 110" 2.40:1 Curved DIY AT Screen w. Masking / Prismasonic A-Lens / Marantz SR7011 / Emotiva XPA-5 / Behringer EP4000 / Oppo UDP-203 / PS4 Pro / Apple TV 4K / 7.2.2 Surround / DIY LCR's / 4xFI IB3 15" IB Sub
post #379 of 443 Old 01-06-2018, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Chris View Post
Beautiful theater and beautiful house, Jedi - thanks for sharing!!!

How many hours have you clocked down there so far? A LOT would be my guess
LOL that's something I need to check on but imagine about 2-4 a day over Christmas break Thankfully I didn't have to travel for my work for about 3 weeks, but that changes this week and will be on the road again almost every week. Been extremely fun playing Star Wars: Battlefront 2 down there as well as watching movies!
post #380 of 443 Old 01-21-2018, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

FINALLY!!!! Resolved my subwoofer ground loop issue that happened about 2 months ago. Will write more on this later but after many many hours of troubleshooting, it all came down to plugging in little cheater plugs to the end of my subwoofers. Thank GOODNESS this is now resolved lol

No more hum and when it's quiet, it's actually quiet!!
post #381 of 443 Old 01-22-2018, 05:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1342 Post(s)
Liked: 478
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
FINALLY!!!! Resolved my subwoofer ground loop issue that happened about 2 months ago. Will write more on this later but after many many hours of troubleshooting, it all came down to plugging in little cheater plugs to the end of my subwoofers. Thank GOODNESS this is now resolved lol

No more hum and when it's quiet, it's actually quiet!!
I take it it is a powered sub? I have 15" powered subs built into my towers and I have a ground plug adapter on on my left speaker and now I have a hum in my right. I need to get a ground plug for it now. I hope that will fix it or I will just have to turn up the volume more.

Glad you figured that out. Those hums can be fun to chase down.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #382 of 443 Old 01-22-2018, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
I take it it is a powered sub? I have 15" powered subs built into my towers and I have a ground plug adapter on on my left speaker and now I have a hum in my right. I need to get a ground plug for it now. I hope that will fix it or I will just have to turn up the volume more.

Glad you figured that out. Those hums can be fun to chase down.
Yeppers. My Rythmik FV15HP's are powered. Thus is the tale of the ground loop...

It all began when the theater was being calibrated back in Nov. During the initial playback at reference level with only 2 channels active, the power source was tripped. Knowing right away that the theater would require more power, I called my electrician and he let me know he'd be on-site the following Mon (happened on a Sat).

After spending about an hour or so running the new outlets to the A/V closet, everything seemed to be going as planned! Then it began...

My front left tower had a nasty crackle sound to it. I immediately thought this was a ground loop issue. I had my electrician come back out and we tried many many different things, including making sure everything in
the house was run in parallel, to get the crackle resolved by no luck. Finally, as I had once before tried swapping out the RCA cable from my receiver to the miniDSP, I tried one more time as that would be considered "low hanging fruit". TA-DA! It fixed the front left tower!

However, in the process of doing whatever we did, my subwoofers now had that ominous, low hum sound. I believe unless you were listening for it, you likely wouldn't recognize it. But I knew it was there and would hear it every time I got through watching something. Once I called attention to it, anyone else in the room would then hear it. My electrician was out several more times and we tried many other things to try to isolate the problem.

Troubleshooting went on for several weeks when I had the time and really didn't put much effort into it now as I thought it I was stuck with it as tried so many things! I tried unplugging the HDMI's, RCA's all the equipment from the outlets to see what would make a difference. Nothing though.

My electrician stopped by again last week to look once again at the electrical because mind you, before the new outlets were installed, there was no hum. I know I have given the poor guy headaches trying to figure this out! We decided to call Rythmik to see if we might have overlooked something. Following their instruction of unplugging all HDMI cables (yet again after previous attempts) as cable boxes are a likely culprit, they also mentioned the cheater plugs (3 prong converter to 2 prong eliminating the ground) as the subs are grounded internally. As my electrician was in the room, he mentioned that he had just got done disconnecting the ground connection from those outlets the subs were plugged into which should've yielded the same exact result. Rythmik also mentioned to try a different audio cable.

After they said that, we turned the subs sideways to access the speaker cable and noticed if you were to slightly move the RCA cable, it would make a difference in sound and not in a good way! The humming would get louder. So went to Best Buy this past Sat to get another RCA cable that would reach from subwoofer to miniDSP/receiver. Swapped out the cables but no luck. At this point, I was really discouraged as I thought I really was stuck with the ground loop issue.

I kept going back to thinking it had to be something with that outlet that was installed because when I would unplug the LCR amps from outlets, that seemed to make a bit of a difference. As a last resort, I went to Lowes yesterday (Sun) and picked up a few cheater plugs. I thought, perhaps seeing if the ground issue might be with those outlets so tried plugging in the amps with the cheater plugs into those outlets. I couldn't believe it as it still didn't help!! I even tried running those amps through a power conditioner but nope, nothing as the hum was still there.

So there I sat pretty discouraged and was putting the cheater plugs back in the package to take them back to Lowes when I thought, you know I have them here and I know we disconnected the ground wires from the outlets and that didn't help, but might as well try putting these plugs on the ends of the subs and hook them in and see what happens. AND LO AND BEHOLD IT FIXED THE ISSUE!!!!!!
BrolicBeast likes this.
post #383 of 443 Old 01-25-2018, 09:11 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Wow, you’ve really gone through a lot to fix the issue. So glad to hear that you found a solution!
jedi1982 likes this.

My Small Home Theater Build
JVC RS400 / 110" 2.40:1 Curved DIY AT Screen w. Masking / Prismasonic A-Lens / Marantz SR7011 / Emotiva XPA-5 / Behringer EP4000 / Oppo UDP-203 / PS4 Pro / Apple TV 4K / 7.2.2 Surround / DIY LCR's / 4xFI IB3 15" IB Sub
post #384 of 443 Old 01-26-2018, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Chris View Post
Wow, you’ve really gone through a lot to fix the issue. So glad to hear that you found a solution!
Oh man, it was a PAIN and painful process to figure out! So glad to have found the fix
post #385 of 443 Old 02-01-2018, 06:22 PM
d_c
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 233 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked: 1554
post #386 of 443 Old 02-01-2018, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_c View Post
HTOTM! congrats!
Thank you!
post #387 of 443 Old 02-02-2018, 03:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Congrats to you for HTOTM!!! Well deserved!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jedi1982 likes this.
post #388 of 443 Old 02-02-2018, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahuzz13 View Post
Congrats to you for HTOTM!!! Well deserved!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Appreciate it!!
post #389 of 443 Old 02-02-2018, 07:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1342 Post(s)
Liked: 478
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Congrats as well on HTOTM! It's a great write up and well deserved to you, Big and Shawn.
jedi1982 likes this.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #390 of 443 Old 02-02-2018, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked: 4755
Congrats! Well deserved, one of the coolest theaters around!
jedi1982 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page