It's MillerTime Entertainment Room! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 54Likes

post #1 of 62 Old 07-10-2017, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 52
It's MillerTime Entertainment Room!

Wow I am so excited to get this project started! I am roughly 2-3 weeks away from perimeter beginning in the MillerTime Basement Project v2017. This is the first house where I have been able to finish the basement without any demo of existing. I work in the construction industry as a consultant for large commercial projects and have had zero luck getting my framers to jump on my current build all summer until now. Labor shortage in Des Moines, IA has made it tough. The additional waiting time has allowed me to fine tune my low voltage plans and obviously think of more ways to blow my budget haha.

I am starting this thread to track my build and also look to everyone for all the knowledge from this forum.

Goals:
Room size is roughly 18'W x 25'D x 9'-0"H (open to back bar room and open to wine room)
7.2.4 system day 1
Prefer Inwall speakers (really like Triad) but up for suggestion based on my layout for other options than inwall (need to make a decision quick to confirm 2x6 or 2x4 walls for fur out)
This will NOT be a sealed theater room as we like to entertain and will be using this mostly for movie/gaming for bar lounge area
I am considering installing a wall at the "wine room" area to the main room. I will also be RC/Hat channel on ceiling and mineral wool in all trusses and walls for the entire 1600 SF basement remodel.
Fish tank idea under the stair is the 1st thing to be deleted from our budget since I would rather spend the $ on sound for the room
Acoustically Transparent screen (would like to max out my screen size but haven't researched enough on projector throw distances and aspect ratios), would like idea on what people think are good projectors. Would also like to do 4k since I will be getting the next xbox one x in November.

Please let me know any thoughts or suggestions as I have about 2-3 weeks like I said above before the framing mobilize to tweak my plan. I am also interested in AVR or Processor + Amp setup people use. Thanks in advance for everyone's time in commenting!

IT'S MILLERTIME!

Ladeback likes this.

Last edited by MillerTimeISU; 07-15-2017 at 01:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 Old 07-12-2017, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I love the layout, your space is somewhat similar to mine which was just built.

The only thing I would feel comfortable commenting on is projectors as I researched that extensively. I would go with a JVC 520 or 620 if money isn't a concern and it will be a dark theater. JVC has the best black levels but is only taken advantage of if the room is dark. If ambient light will be present often, save yourself some money and just get a Epson 5040.

I wouldn't touch a Sony.

I went 133" screen and I sit about 12 feet away, I think the size is perfect.

Also, save some money for acoustical treatments, they can add quick unless you are making them yourself.
MillerTimeISU likes this.

Last edited by HTMatrix; 07-12-2017 at 03:53 PM.
post #3 of 62 Old 07-12-2017, 04:23 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 112
You have some good ideas to start from here. Triads are great speakers if you can find and installer who won't gouge you on the price. As you are building from scratch, you may also want to consider doing a more in-depth look at the theater space as it will have the most detail. For example, having acoustic treatment on the walls and back wall (behind the screen) will control a lot of the sound issues associated with most rooms. Seating distance in relation to screen size, and number of rows (25 feet is a long ways for just one row) are more examples of the same level of detail. As for projector, true 4K comes in the form of lasers and at a great cost. This is why most projector owners who want true 4K are just sticking with 1080P for now until prices come down to earth. The JVCs and Sony do give some of the nicest cinematic pictures, but you should see it for yourself before you decide. DPI also makes some killer projectors and most of these (Sony, JVC, DPI) can be had on the used market for a fraction of their cost new. As you have mentioned, you have to look at the specs also to determine how big of a picture each can project; keeping in mind that seating distance and viewing angle will play an important role. Once you have the projector picked out and purchased, then bring in several large samples of the screens you like and throw an image onto them (mounted side by side) and decide which one you like the most. Electrical wiring into the basement will also be important depending on the type of gear you intend on putting into the space and how many and type of dedicated circuits you will need. Finally, why not have sliding door into the theater space? You could then enjoy the best of both worlds for movies and ballgames.

Take your time and do a lot more research before you begin actual construction into the space. You'll be happier in the long-run and will inoculate yourself better against the upgradeitis bug that seems to go around once you finish.
LydMekk and MillerTimeISU like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 62 Old 07-12-2017, 05:49 PM

Where do you plan to locate your equipment rack?

It's purely personal preference, everybody I talked to recommended that it was hidden. I knew in the back of my mind that I like to tinker and that probably wasn't the best idea. Mine is hidden under the stairs and I hate it. I wish I would have went with my original idea which was building into the wall under the stairs and then hiding it behind a picture with brackets that allow the picture to slide across the wall when you want to access the equipment.
post #5 of 62 Old 07-13-2017, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMatrix View Post
Where do you plan to locate your equipment rack?

It's purely personal preference, everybody I talked to recommended that it was hidden. I knew in the back of my mind that I like to tinker and that probably wasn't the best idea. Mine is hidden under the stairs and I hate it. I wish I would have went with my original idea which was building into the wall under the stairs and then hiding it behind a picture with brackets that allow the picture to slide across the wall when you want to access the equipment.
Yep I have access to under the stairs and plan to build it in this room since it is open and have plenty of space.
post #6 of 62 Old 07-14-2017, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1415 Post(s)
Liked: 522
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jish9 View Post
You have some good ideas to start from here. Triads are great speakers if you can find and installer who won't gouge you on the price. As you are building from scratch, you may also want to consider doing a more in-depth look at the theater space as it will have the most detail. For example, having acoustic treatment on the walls and back wall (behind the screen) will control a lot of the sound issues associated with most rooms. Seating distance in relation to screen size, and number of rows (25 feet is a long ways for just one row) are more examples of the same level of detail. As for projector, true 4K comes in the form of lasers and at a great cost. This is why most projector owners who want true 4K are just sticking with 1080P for now until prices come down to earth. The JVCs and Sony do give some of the nicest cinematic pictures, but you should see it for yourself before you decide. DPI also makes some killer projectors and most of these (Sony, JVC, DPI) can be had on the used market for a fraction of their cost new. As you have mentioned, you have to look at the specs also to determine how big of a picture each can project; keeping in mind that seating distance and viewing angle will play an important role. Once you have the projector picked out and purchased, then bring in several large samples of the screens you like and throw an image onto them (mounted side by side) and decide which one you like the most. Electrical wiring into the basement will also be important depending on the type of gear you intend on putting into the space and how many and type of dedicated circuits you will need. Finally, why not have sliding door into the theater space? You could then enjoy the best of both worlds for movies and ballgames.

Take your time and do a lot more research before you begin actual construction into the space. You'll be happier in the long-run and will inoculate yourself better against the upgradeitis bug that seems to go around once you finish.

I agree that about just going with 1080p for now and wait for 4K to come down. I just purchased an Epson 2040 during Amazon's Prime days for a great price at around $500, but there are other great options as well. I also like the idea of adding another row of seats if you can.

@Jish9 , you are the first one on here to to recommend a sliding door between rooms and that is what I want to do in my build. I was first thinking barn doors, but may do a pocket door instead. My wife wants access from our future game room to the theater for when we entertain, but we don't do that much. I guess if I build it the neighbors will want to come over more and it will get used more.

@millertime USA, nice design and it is lot nicer to start with a clean slate instead of having to demo things. Can you add a second row of seats. What is that you are putting behind the row of seats in the theater? Are you going to go with a fixed screen I take it? With a room that size you could go with a big screen. Are you going with 16:9 or 2.35:1? You did right in posting in the IA Meet thread, they should of a lot of good help as well. I suggest taking your time and get most everything decided before you get going. Looks like you have a good plan to start with. My basement is unfinished and I have built some walls, but am not thinking I want to go bigger maybe.

Welcome to the forum,

Doug

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #7 of 62 Old 07-15-2017, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

@Ladeback thanks for the insight. I am tossing around the idea of a 150" acoustically transparent + ambient light rejection screen to help with times when this room will be used for entertaining family and friends with controlled lighting on. Not 100% on the aspect ration but leaning towards 2.35:1. I really like cinemascope screens but nervous about all my 16:9 live TV content and Xbox One gaming content with vertical bars.

I am not planning for the addition of either pocket doors or barn doors between the theater area and bar. I need to figure out what I want to do to close out the wine wall from the theater and I am concerned all my standing bass waves late a night will travel quickly upstairs to wake my wife haha. Anyone have experience with sliding barn doors, pocket doors or glass doors? Worried the hardware for sliding door will make a tons of vibration noise with the two subs I am planning in the room.

I am planning on having a cover soffit around the entire ceiling in the theater room. I want to hide the projector in this cavity. That would put is around 23'-0" from the screenwall. Ceilings are 9'-0", so with that should I be focusing on a 1080P projector that have higher lumens to be able to get the brightness I want when some soft lighting is present with the ambient light rejection screen? Or should I plan to move it closer? My projector budget is $3k-$6k not including the cost of Screen Innovations Slate AT 1.2. Obviously I would like input from anyone. I haven't pulled the trigger on the equipment as my framing is schedule to start hopefully next week.

The critical items I need to purchase this weekend are massive spools of ethernet cable and speaker wire. Please let me know what what gauge or speaker wire is standard for 7.2.4 systems. Really want to lock down my AVR vs PreAmp+Processor. I will have two additional TV (Bar wall and cabinet wall in bar lounge area) and would like to be able to send separate video signals to those TV's or be able to mirror what is on the projector.

Wine wall racking and stone arrived to replicate the picture below and hue strip lights for numerous areas!!

Wine wall racking and stone arrived to replicate the picture above and hue strip lights for numerous areas!!

Bar and lounge millwork have arrived!! The Koslin Obsidian color turned out real nice.

Bar and lounge millwork have arrived!! The Koslin Obsidian color turned out real nice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	2245809   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	2245817   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	2245825   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	2245833   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	2245841  

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	2245849   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	2245857  

Last edited by MillerTimeISU; 07-19-2017 at 08:20 AM.
post #8 of 62 Old 07-15-2017, 11:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTimeISU View Post
@Ladeback thanks for the insight. I am tossing around the idea of a 150" acoustically transparent + ambient light rejection screen to help with times when this room will be used for entertaining family and friends with controlled lighting on. Not 100% on the aspect ration but leaning towards 2.35:1. I really like cinemascope screens but nervous about all my 16:9 live TV content and Xbox One gaming content with vertical bars.

I am not planning for the addition of either pocket doors or barn doors between the theater area and bar. I need to figure out what I want to do to close out the wine wall from the theater and I am concerned all my standing bass waves late a night will travel quickly upstairs to wake my wife haha. Anyone have experience with sliding barn doors, pocket doors or glass doors? Worried the hardware for sliding door will make a tons of vibration noise with the two subs I am planning in the room.

I am planning on having a cover soffit around the entire ceiling in the theater room. I want to hide the projector in this cavity. That would put is around 23'-0" from the screenwall. Ceilings are 9'-0", so with that should I be focusing on a 1080P projector that have higher lumens to be able to get the brightness I want when some soft lighting is present with the ambient light rejection screen? Or should I plan to move it closer? My projector budget is $3k-$6k not including the cost of Screen Innovations Slate AT 1.2. Obviously I would like input from anyone. I haven't pulled the trigger on the equipment as my framing is schedule to start hopefully next week.

The critical items I need to purchase this weekend are massive spools of ethernet cable and speaker wire. Please let me know what what gauge or speaker wire is standard for 7.2.4 systems. Really want to lock down my AVR vs PreAmp+Processor. I will have two additional TV (Bar wall and cabinet wall in bar lounge area) and would like to be able to send separate video signals to those TV's or be able to mirror what is on the projector.

Wine wall racking and stone arrived to replicate the picture below and hue strip lights for numerous areas!!

Wine wall racking and stone arrived to replicate the picture above and hue strip lights for numerous areas!!

What happened to all your pictures, that's since they are attachments in the forum?

I am now looking to not do a barn door because of fear the hardware vibrating making noise. I am looking to having a entry hallway into my theater now. We don't have a lot of party's, but if I build the theater and game room that may change. Not sure on what do for doors other then solid doors probably sealed is all I know.

I watch most of my TV upstairs,but like watching football on my big screen downstairs. They make masking panels so the black bars aren't see so noticable. If I get a scope screening would probably do that.

You have a big budget for a projector. If I had that I would look at Epson 5040, 6040 in the 2ks to 3ks, the JVC-420 to 520 in the 3ks to 4ks or the JVC-600 in the 6ks. The 600 is awesome. These are all Faux 4K, but really nice.

As for speaker wire it is kind of based on how long your runs are. I was looking at using 14ga since most my runs are under 100', but you could 12 if you think you need it. Just my 2cents.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
post #9 of 62 Old 07-16-2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:

I bought a screen innovations zero edge 133" slate 1.2 gain screen for mine, SI Screens are nice. I was in middle of a home build and I just didnt have the time to devote to researching. My only issue with it is I'm not sure the cost and value correlate well. If I could go back in time, I would have looked at some cheaper options.

As far as AVR, I just bought a Denon AVR-X4300H. It's easy to use and the Denon app for your phone or ipad is awesome. It has amp's for 9 channels but can process 11 channels.

Last edited by HTMatrix; 07-16-2017 at 08:07 AM.
post #10 of 62 Old 07-16-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
If I had that I would look at Epson 5040, 6040 in the 2ks to 3ks, the JVC-420 to 520 in the 3ks to 4ks or the JVC-600 in the 6ks. The 600 is awesome. These are all Faux 4K, but really nice.
+1
post #11 of 62 Old 07-17-2017, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
I haven't pulled the trigger on the equipment as my framing is schedule to start hopefully next week. Really want to lock down my AVR vs PreAmp+Processor. I will have two additional TV (Bar wall and cabinet wall in bar lounge area) and would like to be able to send separate video signals to those TV's or be able to mirror what is on the projector.
Something to think about before purchasing an AVR or Preamp/Amp would be to know what speakers you are getting. That way you can match up speaker sensitivity and amp power ratings properly. Really high sensitive speakers (high nineties and above like Klipsch or JTR) can get away with a lower powered amp (AVR) and still get plenty loud.

The Triads you heard at my place have a sensitivity of 91db and sounded thin when powered with the AVR I had at the time I purchased them. When I got a standalone amp that could properly power those speakers, the sound filled out and I was happy.

Food for thought!
post #12 of 62 Old 07-18-2017, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

4k60 4:4:4 600 MHZ HDMI Splitting Options?

What options existing to be able to send 4K60 4:4:4 600 MHZ to all three TV's from a single source in AV rack? Thinking Xbox One S/ soon X or Nvidia Shield, Chromecast Ultra, etc. Most high AV or Processors only appear to have (2) HDMI out.

*Note: 4K projector is being planned for the main room with couch shown in it.

Thanks in advance

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	2245801  

Theater build thread: It's MillerTime Build Progress!

Got Kids or need a Custom Yeti Mug???
Shark Tank Wife's company she owns
Lincoln&Lexi

Last edited by MillerTimeISU; 07-19-2017 at 08:18 AM.
post #13 of 62 Old 07-18-2017, 11:48 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
What options existing to be able to send 4K60 4:4:4 600 MHZ to all three TV's from a single source in AV rack? Thinking Xbox One S/ soon X or Nvidia Shield, Chromecast Ultra, etc. Most high AV or Processors only appear to have (2) HDMI out.

Thanks in advance

You are looking at a radiance pro with UHD capabilities if you want to maintain the best picture quality You can also look into a matrix switch from Monoprice but not sure if it can do UHD.
post #14 of 62 Old 07-19-2017, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks in advance

@MillerTimeISU , how are you attaching photos into the forum? for some reason I can not see them.

It doesn't appear to be Photobucket.

post #15 of 62 Old 07-19-2017, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
@MillerTimeISU , how are you attaching photos into the forum? for some reason I can not see them.

+1
post #16 of 62 Old 07-19-2017, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I followed these steps??? The pictures show up in line on post when I view it??

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...mage-post.html

Lincoln&Lexi
post #17 of 62 Old 07-19-2017, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I use the yellow square like I have highlighted in the attachment or I just drag them in like I did the attachment. I have no problems this way.

I am not sure why I can't see the photos, I think I could when you first uploaded them, now I can't.

Edit: I can see the attachment in post 12, but nothing else. Not sure why I can't see these now. I need to check other threads.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Photo Upload.PNG
Views:	35
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	2246073  

Last edited by Ladeback; 07-19-2017 at 04:07 PM.
post #18 of 62 Old 07-22-2017, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Took a ton of time to clean out the basement for framing to start but its underway!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20155641_10100653764055464_7009447616942281401_n.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	2252753   Click image for larger version

Name:	20228321_10100653764145284_7709974344240249628_n.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	2252761   Click image for larger version

Name:	20228489_10100653764275024_5577833709169310698_n.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	2252769   Click image for larger version

Name:	20245469_10100653764035504_6103055267769145347_n.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	2252777   Click image for larger version

Name:	20246221_10100653764025524_8023557532850931766_n.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	2252785  

Name:	20258241_10100653764399774_4144078440440763412_n.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	2252793  
nickbuol and Ladeback like this.

Lincoln&Lexi
post #19 of 62 Old 07-22-2017, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked: 865
Check the strength of your beam in the picture looking down the stairs. You might be able to remove that 2x4 on the left completely. We were able to move a beam at the bottom of our stairs (I actually know a structural engineer, but was able to find similar information online). For whatever reason, the builder put a beam on the "right side" looking down the stairs, but had all of this duct work on the left. We were able to move that beam to the left side and box it in with the duct work. Looked cleaner. We also found out the load limits of that beam over the space from the outside basement wall, and were able to take down part of our wall at the bottom of the stairs to open it up more. It looks like you don't have the problem we had though. Looking down our stairs, there was a 3' x 3' "landing" that was framed in, finished, and had a door. That all was able to go, walls included, back to the stairs.

Anyway, point is that if you ask about it now, maybe it is something that you can do to eliminate that temp stud, without risking any structural issues.

Otherwise, it all looks like a great clean slate... I bet your basement has that nice "new construction" smell with all of the lumber... I love that smell...
post #20 of 62 Old 07-22-2017, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
Check the strength of your beam in the picture looking down the stairs. You might be able to remove that 2x4 on the left completely. We were able to move a beam at the bottom of our stairs (I actually know a structural engineer, but was able to find similar information online). For whatever reason, the builder put a beam on the "right side" looking down the stairs, but had all of this duct work on the left. We were able to move that beam to the left side and box it in with the duct work. Looked cleaner. We also found out the load limits of that beam over the space from the outside basement wall, and were able to take down part of our wall at the bottom of the stairs to open it up more. It looks like you don't have the problem we had though. Looking down our stairs, there was a 3' x 3' "landing" that was framed in, finished, and had a door. That all was able to go, walls included, back to the stairs.

Anyway, point is that if you ask about it now, maybe it is something that you can do to eliminate that temp stud, without risking any structural issues.

Otherwise, it all looks like a great clean slate... I bet your basement has that nice "new construction" smell with all of the lumber... I love that smell...
Yep that 2x4 at the stair landing is already demo'd. Took the pics yesterday prior to taking it out!. Walking all that lumber from the driveway to the basement in 100+ degree weather was brutal. As you can see from the pic below its is a long walk around the back to the window I ended up loading all the material through
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	11541020_10100258945380254_6751091639212607701_n.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	2252977  
nickbuol and Ladeback like this.

Lincoln&Lexi
post #21 of 62 Old 07-22-2017, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

When I did my whole basement (which included the current theater room) I ended up buying insulation and studs from Lowes (had the best pricing) and had it delivered. They have this 3 wheeled forklift that they use and they drove it down into my back yard and stacked everything just outside the basement door. I liked that option so much that I made sure to get my drywall delivered (into the house and into the rooms where I asked them to stack it - Ended up being better quality drywall and better prices going straight to a drywall retailer.)

Just look at it this way, you got your "steps" in for the day, and some free-weight workout at the same time.
Ladeback and MillerTimeISU like this.
post #22 of 62 Old 07-27-2017, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Framing to wrap up tomorrow

Name:  20292835_10100658293149124_1129210544156336269_n.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  77.7 KB

Name:  20294367_10100658293164094_1984779466825486572_n.jpg
Views: 799
Size:  85.3 KB

Name:  20429874_10100658293124174_7427168479573458663_n.jpg
Views: 790
Size:  68.2 KB

Name:  20292796_10100658292944534_2779008866044117095_n.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  87.3 KB

Name:  20264878_10100658293029364_4831735092273850555_n.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  87.6 KB

Name:  20476085_10100658293019384_3996546437735779215_n.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  80.3 KB

Name:  20293139_10100656483261154_8953604961196839219_n.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  72.1 KB

Name:  20292934_10100658293099224_5899470242206128416_n.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  72.3 KB

Name:  20292640_10100658293218984_6100372877213223490_n.jpg
Views: 782
Size:  86.7 KB

Name:  as.JPG
Views: 793
Size:  146.1 KB

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 788
Size:  89.0 KB
Draden1 and Ladeback like this.

Lincoln&Lexi
post #23 of 62 Old 07-27-2017, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Sub'd!

If you haven't been formally invited to the Central Iowa Star Wars crawl...I'm hosting A New Hope in God's country, and I plan to be grilling and watching the Clones take on the Zips earlier in the day, if you're interested!

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #24 of 62 Old 08-07-2017, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Framing wrapped up today!! Plumbing for wet bar, bathroom, and aquarium finished up last weekend. Electricians got a good start on all the rough-ins and will finish this weekend. Due to my take location abd distance to main room I ended buying fiber HDMI cables for all three TV and putting two Cat6e terminations are all three locations. Also up sized my speaker cable to 12ga and roughing-in XLR outlets in all four corners for subs to plug into. Wanted to mount the projector in the soffit but throw distance was about 26' at lense so decided to add blocking in open truss bays at 18' abd 19'-6" so I have some flexibility. Fish tank arrives Friday, should be a chore to haul that thing down the stair or through the window.

Trying to understand if I need to run a 12v trigger cable to the projector or sub locations from the rack that will be roughly 35' away? Been so busy with these contractors that I didn't have time to figure out how to make sure I have everything roughed-in for communication back to the rack. Can I just purchase a high in remote control to do this or is there a way I can use an old Android tablet. Concerned about controller connectivity with xbox too from the rack location. Looking for some ideas that work

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Lincoln&Lexi
post #25 of 62 Old 08-08-2017, 06:56 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Sub woofers these days don’t use a 12v trigger to control them turning on or off, they most all have an auto turn on, which is simply based on when signal is fed to them from the receiver via rca cable. XLR is also not needed for most of subs today (with the exception of residential DIY setups), and rca is used in almost all residential subs. This will be the case for all of the subs I have owned as well as any jl audio and svs sub. For the run to the projector, I would also throw a USB in there as well. I made the mistake and had to do this later, so I could connect things like wireless keyboard dongle to end of that cable, to control computer. Since computer keyboard is Bluetooth and not wifi based it needs to be line of sight. Also was helpful when setting up MIC and using REW. Based on the number of walls you have between listening area and rack, I would say remote connectivity could be spotty with what I have experienced using my harmony pro elite. Might be worthwhile to swing into best buy, and atleast test it out (even if you return it and go another route) and you can always take it back once confirmed. What else am I missing guys?

Marantz SR5009, Onkyo 929, Behringer inuke 6000, (2) QSC RMX 850, RBH custom speaker bar, RBH 1212, RBH 831, RBH 821C, Epson 3500, 120' vapex screen, Klipsch RSW-15 subwoofer, Roku, PC, Xbox1, Paradigm Monitor v2, Behringer 3400 crossover
post #26 of 62 Old 08-08-2017, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Liked: 540
I would run XLR, as it's better at rejecting noise on long runs to your sub.

Anything your know you're using, run at least one extra, because you never know.

I ran 3 runs of CAT6, because you never know.

Run a couple triggers for your projector. Run another trigger from projector to screen wall, because you never know.

When you start to think "Ah, I don't need to run that," imagine yourself fishing line in a year, or tearing out drywall to rerun something, and spend the extra $20 on a cable now.

Because you never know.
Draden1 and MillerTimeISU like this.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #27 of 62 Old 08-08-2017, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
I would run XLR, as it's better at rejecting noise on long runs to your sub.

Anything your know you're using, run at least one extra, because you never know.

I ran 3 runs of CAT6, because you never know.

Run a couple triggers for your projector. Run another trigger from projector to screen wall, because you never know.

When you start to think "Ah, I don't need to run that," imagine yourself fishing line in a year, or tearing out drywall to rerun something, and spend the extra $20 on a cable now.

Because you never know.
That makes a lot of sense - most cables (other than these damn fiber HDMI cables are pretty cost effective)

Lincoln&Lexi
post #28 of 62 Old 10-24-2017, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

95% Complete - 10/24 Update

Still need to finish up the wine display wall and millwork around the bar TV to hold liquor bottles. Need to procure my acoustically transparent screen too.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	download_20170920_153711.jpg
Views:	647
Size:	418.1 KB
ID:	2304264   Click image for larger version

Name:	download_20170920_122852.jpg
Views:	658
Size:	484.4 KB
ID:	2304266   Click image for larger version

Name:	download_20170926_194538.jpg
Views:	656
Size:	238.4 KB
ID:	2304268   Click image for larger version

Name:	download_20170926_194542.jpg
Views:	657
Size:	256.8 KB
ID:	2304270   Click image for larger version

Name:	download_20171016_192912.jpg
Views:	653
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	2304272  

Name:	download_20171016_192917.jpg
Views:	679
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	2304274   Click image for larger version

Name:	download_20171016_192920.jpg
Views:	635
Size:	326.9 KB
ID:	2304276   Click image for larger version

Name:	download_20171016_192928.jpg
Views:	640
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	2304278   Click image for larger version

Name:	download_20171016_192939.jpg
Views:	648
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	2304280   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171014_160143.jpg
Views:	657
Size:	850.4 KB
ID:	2304282  

Name:	IMG_20171018_013627.jpg
Views:	697
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	2304284   Click image for larger version

Name:	download_20171024_163845.jpg
Views:	738
Size:	501.8 KB
ID:	2304286   Click image for larger version

Name:	download_20171024_163847.jpg
Views:	656
Size:	356.5 KB
ID:	2304288   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171018_013713.jpg
Views:	697
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	2304290   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171018_013926.jpg
Views:	640
Size:	896.7 KB
ID:	2304292  

Name:	download_20171024_163841.jpg
Views:	648
Size:	222.8 KB
ID:	2304294   Click image for larger version

Name:	download_20171016_192942.jpg
Views:	637
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	2304296   Click image for larger version

Name:	download_20171016_192945.jpg
Views:	631
Size:	288.7 KB
ID:	2304298   Click image for larger version

Name:	download_20170929_222650.jpg
Views:	751
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	2304300  
mpjmeyer and Ladeback like this.

Lincoln&Lexi
post #29 of 62 Old 10-24-2017, 09:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I love the super clean look. Not sure that your poor fishies will appreciate the audio when turned up, but otherwise a great looking set of spaces.
MillerTimeISU and GordonTV like this.
post #30 of 62 Old 10-25-2017, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Looks great, congrats! I saw the pics of the PB16's in boxes but I am curious, what speakers did you go with? I would love to see your gear list and maybe a pic or two of your equipment in relation to the rest of the room. Also, what screen are you leaning towards?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
entertainment cave , inwall speakers , theater construction , theater design

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page