It's most definitely summer in Houston again.... 95 degrees today. Despite that, the screen frame is now a thing.
After drilling pocket holes at the ends of all the vertical pieces, things went together pretty quickly. Here I'm working on the end piece at right, using a couple stop blocks to make positioning easier. All of the joints on the frame are glued and Kregged, except the French cleats and lower mounting tabs which were glued and shot with the brad gun.
Close-up of the French cleat situation. An internet once told me not to rip French cleats to a sharp point, so they seat better. The 45s are supposed to seat against each other - if there's debris, the point could bottom out on that and not allow proper seating.
First test fit in the room. I missed something with the placement of the left speaker - it interfered with the left side of the frame and ended up offsetting it about 3/4" to the left. You can see that I'm off a bit laterally from the blue tape marks. To deal with that, I added another vertical board to the right side of the frame (face to face, glued and brad nailed), increasing the width by 3/4" so the image can be properly centered. I'll hide this little error with the 2-1/2" border later on..
Brought the frame back outside, added the extra vertical to the right side, and cut a 1/2" roundover on the inside edge of the image opening. A sharp inside edge might show through the stretched fabric. I also sanded the entire frame with 80 and 150 on the DA - with extra attention paid to the right side to make sure that "extra" board won't telegraph through.
Back inside after the roundover and sanding. Instead of French cleats for the bottom, I added a couple tabs which are drilled and screwed to the stud, below the frame. More secure and less work.
Top edge still tickling the laser line.
LCR cables connected - I'll add some tie-downs to route these. I also traced the location of all the screen frame elements on the wall behind it, so that when it comes time to treat the front wall I'll know where to avoid placing treatments.
Up next - cleanup of the few tools I've brought into the room, a thorough vacuuming, and time to stretch some spandex onto the frame!
In other news, accessories4less finally dropped the price back down on the Elite SC-LX901 (been watching their prices go all over the place for what seems like a year). It went back down to $1399 last week, and hit $1299 yesterday - which is what I was waiting for, so I pulled the trigger. I'm reasonably close enough to having the room operational that I can swap it into the rack and make sure it runs.
It's a refurb with a 1-year warranty, and I get an additional year of coverage via credit card benefits.