Ceiling Clips, Channel and Drywall...How does it all go together? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 08-22-2017, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Ceiling Clips, Channel and Drywall...How does it all go together?

So I'm mapping out my clips and channel for a decoupled ceiling and I'll having trouble picturing how 2 layers of 5/8 drywall will be secured to the channel.

For the first layer, if I space the channel every 2 feet and lay the drywall parallel to the channel, I can theoretically reach 3 channels with each piece of drywall. But in practice it looks like I'll be catching only 2, and worst case there will be about 1' - 8" or so of unsupported drywall.

I've read that the second layer will somehow take care of this, but how?

Secondly, what if the second layer has a similar overhang (understanding that the first layer will not have the same overhang in the same place)?

I might try to draw up a diagram to better explain if this doesn't make sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-22-2017, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 482
With the channels are placed every 24", each edge of the drywall will fall on a channel, with an additional channel right down the middle.

Offset the second layer by 24". Each edge will fall on a channel, the ones that were in the middle of the first layer. There will also be a channel right down the middle, the channel that was for the edges on the first layer.
post #3 of 15 Old 08-22-2017, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Or you could use 3/4" plywood or OSB for the first layer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 08-22-2017, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveClement View Post
With the channels are placed every 24", each edge of the drywall will fall on a channel, with an additional channel right down the middle.

Offset the second layer by 24". Each edge will fall on a channel, the ones that were in the middle of the first layer. There will also be a channel right down the middle, the channel that was for the edges on the first layer.
So then the first channel should be right up against the wall (where the ceiling drywall starts). This isn't what I've seen in pictures. Depending on the room size you could also end up with just under 2' overhang at the other end of the ceiling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazensol View Post
Or you could use 3/4" plywood or OSB for the first layer.
That's a good idea but plywood is more expensive than drywall. There must be a method for 2 layers of drywall since that's what everyone recommends.
post #5 of 15 Old 08-22-2017, 11:31 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 428 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5723 Post(s)
Liked: 5284
I put the drywall up perpendicular to the channel. When you space the channels on the ceiling you start with the ones near the walls, 6+/- (per the vendor) inches from the walls. then you don't add 24 inches for spacing , you go back to the wall and measure 24 1/2 inches for the center of the second row of channel then +24 from there. The extra 1/2 is to keep the first layer of drywall from making contact with the wall framing which would defeat the decoupling.
post #6 of 15 Old 08-22-2017, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
I put the drywall up perpendicular to the channel. When you space the channels on the ceiling you start with the ones near the walls, 6+/- (per the vendor) inches from the walls. then you don't add 24 inches for spacing , you go back to the wall and measure 24 1/2 inches for the center of the second row of channel then +24 from there. The extra 1/2 is to keep the first layer of drywall from making contact with the wall framing which would defeat the decoupling.
I'm building new (inner) walls, decoupled from the foundation and joists, do I still account for that 1/2" distance to the new wall? I'm thinking that I don't, so that the first layer of DW on the wall fits snug under the first ceiling layer.

For the last channel, if it's more than 6+/- from the wall do I add one more row of channel?
post #7 of 15 Old 08-22-2017, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Figure out where you want your seams, and put the channel there, spacing every 24". When you get close to a wall or any other obstruction, adjust the spacing as necessary. It is OK for the drywall to overhangd the channel to a reasonable amount (as BIG says, +/- 6"). Make sure to mark all of the channel locations on the walls on each side so that you will know where the channel is. Snap a chalk line across between the marks and use that as a guide for screwing into the channel.
post #8 of 15 Old 08-22-2017, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

OK so less than 24" spacing is fine as I approach the walls. I just don't want to add too much channel to the point where it starts to stiffen things up.
post #9 of 15 Old 08-22-2017, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurston9 View Post
I'm building new (inner) walls, decoupled from the foundation and joists, do I still account for that 1/2" distance to the new wall? I'm thinking that I don't, so that the first layer of DW on the wall fits snug under the first ceiling layer.

For the last channel, if it's more than 6+/- from the wall do I add one more row of channel?
You will need to calculate where the inner walls will end up and plan around that. My preference would be to have the ceiling extend out slightly past where the inner walls will be, and account for the gap when installing the walls. In other words, cut the drywall on the walls so that they don't touch the ceiling.

Rather than starting the drywall at one wall and having an odd sized piece at the other end. I like to plan from the center and work out toward the ends. Plan ahead and see how it works with channel every 24" from the center. If that leaves you with small segments of less than 12" at each end, move the channels over in one direction by 12". This will leave you with segments on each end that are between 12" and 24". Much better than having the last section of channel less than 12" away.

Last edited by DaveClement; 08-22-2017 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Changed one reference of "side" to "end" for clarity.
post #10 of 15 Old 08-22-2017, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveClement View Post
You will need to calculate where the inner walls will end up and plan around that. My preference would be to have the ceiling extend out slightly past where the inner walls will be, and account for the gap when installing the walls. In other words, cut the drywall on the walls so that they don't touch the ceiling.
I'm confused, do I need to include a gap between the DW on the suspended ceiling and the DW on the inner walls or not? I thought I'd want that joint to be as tight as possible.
post #11 of 15 Old 08-22-2017, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurston9 View Post
I'm confused, do I need to include a gap between the DW on the suspended ceiling and the DW on the inner walls or not? I thought I'd want that joint to be as tight as possible.
You leave 1/4" gap, then go back after the first layer of walls and ceiling are up and fill the gap with backer foam, then caulk. Repeat as each layer goes up, ceiling then walls.

Mike
post #12 of 15 Old 08-22-2017, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

A lot of documentation says to make the gaps between the inner walls and the ceiling as tight as possible. I prefer to leave a gap of about 3/8" and seal it with acoustic sealant.

In all cases, you want to leave a gap around half an inch between any decoupled elements (your ceiling) and any non-decoupled elements (the non-decoupled wall structure).
post #13 of 15 Old 08-23-2017, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks all! Makes sense, I'll go back to my plans and this should help clear things up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
Do you stagger layers so the seams don't line up? Or go parallel with the second layer?
post #14 of 15 Old 08-23-2017, 08:56 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 428 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5723 Post(s)
Liked: 5284
staggered, still perpendicular to the channels
post #15 of 15 Old 08-23-2017, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Many people have built their theater with OSB as first layer (including mine). It has many advantages and the cost is not all that much more. Both ways work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page