post #1 of 4 Old 08-30-2017, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1049 Post(s)
Liked: 511
darrellh44's Home Theater

Construction:

My current HT started about 2 1/2 years ago from a converted 2-car garage. I used a contractor for the initial construction - he did a great job for a very reasonable price. The overall dimensions of the new room are 21' 8" long by 13' 6" wide. It has an 8' ceiling with 4" insulated sheetrock walls all around. The original sloped concrete floor has been leveled by adding a 6" curb under the new wall (where the garage door used to be) and filling in the rest of the floor with variable height floor joists under 3/4" OSB. The floor is covered with short shag carpeting. An A/C contractor then added a ductless Daiken single-room unit. There is still some storage left over from the original garage in a separate room just above the main room in the diagrams. A beverage frig was also added just on the other side of the angled doorway.

Like most people, my HT is a work in progress. Currently I only have 2.1.0 audio, but all of the DIY plans and component purchases have been made to make this a 7.1.4 system, hopefully one day soon. Also badly needed are all the DIY corner treatments shown in the diagrams. Most of the wall and ceiling treatments are up however (except for side-wall curtains). In the lists below, everything listed as planned has been purchased, but not installed. Beyond that I have a 'Wish List' of things I would eventually like to purchase and/or build.
Floor Diagram:

Ceiling Diagram:

Front Corner Trap Detail:

Equipment:
Room Treatments:
  • Front Wall Panels (5): GOM Wrapped OC-703 (4’x2’x2”)
  • Ceiling Panels (12): GIK Acoustics Spot Panels (4’x2’x2”)
  • Side-Wall Diffusors (6): GIK Acoustics Evolution PolyFusor (4’x2’x6”)
  • DIY Corner Trap (2): Floor-to-ceiling both front corners (planned)
  • DIY Soffit Traps: 95% of room’s wall/ceiling corners (planned)
Furnishings:
Measurements:
  • Anthem ARC2 In-room:
  • ---
  • SM60F Anechoic from Danley website:
Wish List:
thxman likes this.

Last edited by darrellh44; 08-30-2017 at 05:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-30-2017, 05:28 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 417 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5644 Post(s)
Liked: 5210
Great Job! Those Danley's are sweet!

The first improvement I'd make is a center channel. A phantom center channel only works effectively if you are sitting in the sweet spot and those two sofas along the sides are definitely not in it.
thxman and darrellh44 like this.

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 08-30-2017 at 08:55 AM.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-30-2017, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1049 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
Great Job! Those Danley's are sweet!

The first improvement I'd make is a center channel. A phantom center chancel only works effectively if you are sitting in the sweet spot and those two sofas along the sides are definitely not in it.
Thanks. I do have a pair of QSC AD-S82H pro-audio speakers lying around. I've been meaning to try one of them under the screen angled up slightly. But to do it right, I'd eventually would like to add a Danley SM96 behind the screen at the same height as the SM60Fs. The SM96 seems to be very similar to the SM60Fs except their coverage angle is 90x60 instead of 60x60. This would of course require switching to an AT screen with its inherent audio, video, and cost compromises. Also to fit the SM96, I would have to move the screen further out into the room and/or make a hole in the wall behind it, maybe even thru the exterior brick as well to get enough depth. I would cover the hole on the outside with a weather-proof panel. The hole would also be hidden by a metal storage shed on that side of the house. But by the time I'd get around to all this, I may have decided to move onto something else entirely for my LCR setup (the JBL Synthesis SCLs look pretty sweet).

Having said all that, the side sofas don't get used that much, and when they do, it's usually for a sporting event. Anyways, no one who has sat in those sofas has ever said, "Your imaging sucks". I'm thankful for their ignorant bliss.
jamiebosco likes this.

darrellh44's Home Theater
Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences

"Faith is not about everything turning out OK, Faith is being OK no matter how things turn out".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 08-30-2017, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 397 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5546 Post(s)
Liked: 5370
Sub'd And,,,,what an excellent gear list
darrellh44 and biga6761 like this.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater