Fortress Of Amplitude - Page 21 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 653Likes

post #601 of 658 Old 02-17-2020, 11:01 AM
Audio Pack Rat

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by impreza276 View Post
Well, what did you think the Fortress Of Solitude was??

It has been a bit of a saga and glad to finally have it done. Plenty of touch-ups and fine tuning but it is operational. An essential component to the home theater life!

Nice!

I really like the wall color as it takes the entire bathroom to a different level.

I see that it is also possible to shower while sitting on the toilet!
impreza276 likes this.

Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 658 Old 02-18-2020, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealmaniac View Post
Nice!

I really like the wall color as it takes the entire bathroom to a different level.

I see that it is also possible to shower while sitting on the toilet!
Fancy, just like in Europe! lol
impreza276 likes this.

"You can never have too many clamps."
My DIYSG HTM-12 build
My dual sealed UXL-18 build
post #603 of 658 Old 02-18-2020, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 925
Lol, I was hoping you wouldn't notice the omission. No worries, the shower spray area was determined using the projection calculator
mhutchins, OJ Bartley and A.T.M. like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #604 of 658 Old 02-18-2020, 03:50 PM
sor
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Lol, I was hoping you wouldn't notice the omission. No worries, the shower spray area was determined using the projection calculator

Just a matter of getting the right throw and aspect ratio.
impreza276 likes this.

Lakeview Cinema build thread
post #605 of 658 Old 02-18-2020, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Ok. Though it might seem like a footnote, the bathroom is a major milestone and an integral part of the theater project. It is the culmination of several years of relentless home renovation, and I can now thankfully state that I've literally run out of rooms to renovate in This Old House.

It all started several years ago. Whilst reasonably technically minded, I was totally green behind the ears with regards to home renovation. many aspects of the house were stuck a few decades in the past. Within a few hours of getting the keys I started tearing down the rotting main and only full bathroom in the house, removing several layers of updates and same day bathroom kits, with the help of an experienced friend. The rest, as they say, is history. Within a few weeks of moving in I drew up a wistful renovations wish list for the house that was little more than a pipe dream. The idea of a home theater wasn't even in the most remote corner of my mind. As I sit here now, every single item on that list has been crossed out, and then some. And then some more. It hasn't been without cost, most significantly in terms of times when I could have lived other experiences.

Long before the spin-off Solitude series, the bathroom made several cameos in the main Amplitude feature.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...l#post55626514

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...l#post55855922

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...l#post56119864

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...l#post56527838

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...l#post56788864

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...l#post56807604

Last edited by impreza276; 02-18-2020 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Beer
post #606 of 658 Old 02-19-2020, 03:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

I dunno, dude. I think I'd miss that amazing 'stone' wallpaper... and that classy imitation wainscoting with the stunning custom mouldings (just look at those cuts). And the window treatment... is that granny's boxers hanging in the window? (She was a big girl, don't you know.)
impreza276 likes this.
post #607 of 658 Old 02-20-2020, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
What colour is that? The one on the bathroom wall?looks pretty good!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #608 of 658 Old 02-20-2020, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The Fortress of Solitude: Origin Story

Indulge me for a moment with this off-topic tale. It had always seemed that this third bathroom area was the one that would have bountiful space to work with. As the theater progressed, it became apparent that my assumption was wrong, and a great battle for territory commenced between the bathroom and theater.

The shower layout is based on one from a hotel I stayed in, back in the days when I used to travel more frequently for work. It had a fixed glass screen and was just long enough to keep all the water in. I recorded the dimensions so assumed that this one work fine too. I must have missed some details. the floor does not get wet but the wall just outside of the shower rear gets a splattering.

Unfortunately by the time I figured that such a large shower area was not probably not the best choice for this small room it was too late. A pretty penny had already been spent on the shower kit. I have to admit, though, that it's nice having such a large shower after all.

It took ages of research to make sure the details of the rough-in were right. I assumed the rough-in would be the hardest job in the home renovation journey. In retrospect there were a number of other unanticipated tasks that were way more challenging.

Testing the lighting. 6x50w GU10 lights turned the place into an operating theater. Reduced to 3x35w lights plus the vanity lighting. The vanity light is actually track lighting that I stumbled upon at the last moment. It was meant to be the single spotlight fixture option but the three light looked way too cool not to use.

A couple of years ago I balked at using Kerdi's kit for a shower. The idea of Styrofoam sounded absurd. This time round I had little choice since the shower floor was long and had to be low profile to save height. Kerdi was the perfect solution. I had also learned a lot about the kit and had way more confidence in it.

The Kerdi membrane installation reminded me of my zombie green glue job.

Bathroom rated GU10 recessed lights. I'm really happy with this square design and the light output.

I usually spend ages working on the layout and ergonomics of the bathrooms. True enough they work very well, especially the one in a tight 3.5' x 8' area created from combining a half bath with a closet. That one is my Taj Mahal. However my aesthetic design methodology sucks. I spend months searching for a tile, build the shower, then realize that I have to figure out what to do with the rest of the room.

The vessel sink came way before the idea of a theater room was in my universe, and before the basement bathroom remodel project looked feasible. The sink was intended for the main bathroom, however it got orphaned from that project. It was in line to be donated but just never got round to it. It gained a reprieve when the basement bath remodel project became a reality. By the way, if you want bathroom fittings in a regular size the options are endless. Deviate from the regular and you are crawling for water in the middle of a desert. I struggled to find a vanity with the dimensions needed. Finally ordered one and had a granite top cut for it (expensive, ouch!). The vanity proved to be the wrong choice, and it was impossible to find a replacement. One day, as I was browsing through some other stuff at TJMaxx, a side bookshelf caught my eye. I bust out the tape measure (y'all carry one with you all the time, don't you?) and it fit the bill! A bit of modification to accommodate the p-trap.

The shower tile is a wood simulation ceramic floor tile which looked grayish under the shop lighting. Turned out to be tan. It was still pretty enough to remain first choice. So the shower area was built. Then I realized that it would not work with whatever aesthetic concept I had in mind. It is perfect for an Asian or Scandinavian bath, but that was not what I wanted for the man-cave - No girly bathrooms (not that there is anything wrong with that). All sorts of colors were bouncing around in my mind right up to the last minute, but nothing that seemed cohesive. Same for the flooring which would normally call for a concrete, solid, or slate finish to match the shower. In the end I decided 'to heck!', picked a red and bought a gallon of it. As I rummaged through my supplies for something else I came across an old sample red that looked even better. So there is a gallon of abandoned unused red lying around. For the floor I decided that concrete looked too cold and picked a wood pattern was is half way to the same look. Basically the bath is a jumble of parts that I'm shocked came out looking anywhere near half decent.

@shahkhw , in a rush I took a quick pic of the paint sample to record the color. The paint associate just scanned the bar code straight off the picture. Neat.

A tempting option was to paint the bathroom the same blue as the theater. I decided against so only in the cause of variety. It would have looked quite nice, I think.

One sad detail is that the niche mosaic has a beautiful iridescence.. Which is totally invisible under the current lighting. It shows from this unnatural angle.

One miracle product I am a huge evangelist of is epoxy grout. It is bulletproof, remains stain free, is a cinch to clean, and forms beautiful grout lines very easily. It's like a bunny - nice and cuddly unless you mess up. Then you discover it has claws. Follow instructions and it's super easy to apply to a tiled floor, especially a shower. In fact I plan to re-grout one bathroom with it this weekend. The complete opposite is true for walls, it is hell on earth. The results are worth it but I never get over the trauma! That's a story for another day.

The bathroom at this stage brought endless amusement as friends struggled to complement the 'final coat' color. 'Interesting choice!' was the best I could get. It's the primer tinting trick @Ladeback advised me of.

Enough about bathrooms already, back to regular programming!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01bth.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	230.3 KB
ID:	2687812   Click image for larger version

Name:	02bth.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	2687814   Click image for larger version

Name:	03bth.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	2687816   Click image for larger version

Name:	04bth.jpg
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	2687818   Click image for larger version

Name:	05bth.jpg
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	2687820  

Name:	06bth.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	2687822   Click image for larger version

Name:	07bth.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	2687824   Click image for larger version

Name:	08bth.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	2687826   Click image for larger version

Name:	09bth.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	2687828   Click image for larger version

Name:	10bth.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	2687830  

Last edited by impreza276; 02-20-2020 at 06:57 PM.
post #609 of 658 Old 02-21-2020, 06:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

Indulge me for a moment with this off-topic tale ... ... Enough about bathrooms already, back to regular programming!

Now that was a great story.

P.S. While it doesn't fall into the "girly" range, your bathroom definitely falls into the Scandinavian style (with a minor in Asian). Your innate design sense is very, very good. My friend, who owns an interior design company, approves. Also, he is definitely stealing your shower wall idea.
impreza276 likes this.

Last edited by farkem; 02-21-2020 at 07:29 AM.
post #610 of 658 Old 02-21-2020, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:

Indulge me for a moment with this off-topic tale. It had always seemed that this third bathroom area was the one that would have bountiful space to work with. As the theater progressed, it became apparent that my assumption was wrong, and a great battle for territory commenced between the bathroom and theater.

The shower layout is based on one from a hotel I stayed in, back in the days when I used to travel more frequently for work. It had a fixed glass screen and was just long enough to keep all the water in. I recorded the dimensions so assumed that this one work fine too. I must have missed some details. the floor does not get wet but the wall just outside of the shower rear gets a splattering.

Unfortunately by the time I figured that such a large shower area was not probably not the best choice for this small room it was too late. A pretty penny had already been spent on the shower kit. I have to admit, though, that it's nice having such a large shower after all.

It took ages of research to make sure the details of the rough-in were right. I assumed the rough-in would be the hardest job in the home renovation journey. In retrospect there were a number of other unanticipated tasks that were way more challenging.

Testing the lighting. 6x50w GU10 lights turned the place into an operating theater. Reduced to 3x35w lights plus the vanity lighting. The vanity light is actually track lighting that I stumbled upon at the last moment. It was meant to be the single spotlight fixture option but the three light looked way too cool not to use.

A couple of years ago I balked at using Kerdi's kit for a shower. The idea of Styrofoam sounded absurd. This time round I had little choice since the shower floor was long and had to be low profile to save height. Kerdi was the perfect solution. I had also learned a lot about the kit and had way more confidence in it.

The Kerdi membrane installation reminded me of my zombie green glue job.

Bathroom rated GU10 recessed lights. I'm really happy with this square design and the light output.

I usually spend ages working on the layout and ergonomics of the bathrooms. True enough they work very well, especially the one in a tight 3.5' x 8' area created from combining a half bath with a closet. That one is my Taj Mahal. However my aesthetic design methodology sucks. I spend months searching for a tile, build the shower, then realize that I have to figure out what to do with the rest of the room.

The vessel sink came way before the idea of a theater room was in my universe, and before the basement bathroom remodel project looked feasible. The sink was intended for the main bathroom, however it got orphaned from that project. It was in line to be donated but just never got round to it. It gained a reprieve when the basement bath remodel project became a reality. By the way, if you want bathroom fittings in a regular size the options are endless. Deviate from the regular and you are crawling for water in the middle of a desert. I struggled to find a vanity with the dimensions needed. Finally ordered one and had a granite top cut for it (expensive, ouch!). The vanity proved to be the wrong choice, and it was impossible to find a replacement. One day, as I was browsing through some other stuff at TJMaxx, a side bookshelf caught my eye. I bust out the tape measure (y'all carry one with you all the time, don't you?) and it fit the bill! A bit of modification to accommodate the p-trap.

The shower tile is a wood simulation ceramic floor tile which looked grayish under the shop lighting. Turned out to be tan. It was still pretty enough to remain first choice. So the shower area was built. Then I realized that it would not work with whatever aesthetic concept I had in mind. It is perfect for an Asian or Scandinavian bath, but that was not what I wanted for the man-cave - No girly bathrooms (not that there is anything wrong with that). All sorts of colors were bouncing around in my mind right up to the last minute, but nothing that seemed cohesive. Same for the flooring which would normally call for a concrete, solid, or slate finish to match the shower. In the end I decided 'to heck!', picked a red and bought a gallon of it. As I rummaged through my supplies for something else I came across an old sample red that looked even better. So there is a gallon of abandoned unused red lying around. For the floor I decided that concrete looked too cold and picked a wood pattern was is half way to the same look. Basically the bath is a jumble of parts that I'm shocked came out looking anywhere near half decent.

@shahkhw , in a rush I took a quick pic of the paint sample to record the color. The paint associate just scanned the bar code straight off the picture. Neat.

A tempting option was to paint the bathroom the same blue as the theater. I decided against so only in the cause of variety. It would have looked quite nice, I think.

One sad detail is that the niche mosaic has a beautiful iridescence.. Which is totally invisible under the current lighting. It shows from this unnatural angle.

One miracle product I am a huge evangelist of is epoxy grout. It is bulletproof, remains stain free, is a cinch to clean, and forms beautiful grout lines very easily. It's like a bunny - nice and cuddly unless you mess up. Then you discover it has claws. Follow instructions and it's super easy to apply to a tiled floor, especially a shower. In fact I plan to re-grout one bathroom with it this weekend. The complete opposite is true for walls, it is hell on earth. The results are worth it but I never get over the trauma! That's a story for another day.

The bathroom at this stage brought endless amusement as friends struggled to complement the 'final coat' color. 'Interesting choice!' was the best I could get. It's the primer tinting trick @Ladeback advised me of.

Enough about bathrooms already, back to regular programming!

Thank you, Much appreciated

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #611 of 658 Old 03-18-2020, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

If your theater is your home office and you have to practice social distancing, turn your projector into a window to the world with a live stream. I'd rather be at the beach!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	01CFree.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	332.1 KB
ID:	2699402  
post #612 of 658 Old 03-22-2020, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Ways to keep sane during this period of social distancing. While everyone else is hoarding toilet paper I'm hoarding DIYSG speakers.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	01spk.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	313.4 KB
ID:	2700842  
post #613 of 658 Old 03-22-2020, 10:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 786
NICE!

I'm really hoping a lack of commute over the next who-knows-how-long working from home can translate into theater progress for me. AVS was social distancing before it was cool
mhutchins, impreza276 and pkinneb like this.

James

Long-time AVS reader, finally building a small dedicated room.
McTheatre II Build Thread
post #614 of 658 Old 03-23-2020, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James92TSi View Post
NICE!

I'm really hoping a lack of commute over the next who-knows-how-long working from home can translate into theater progress for me. AVS was social distancing before it was cool
That is true! While we want to flatten the virus transmission curve, the one for home theater productivity should spike. And yes, social distancing is just business as usual!
pkinneb likes this.
post #615 of 658 Old 03-31-2020, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

With more than enough time on my hands indoors, I decided to turn my attention to my handful of 3D glasses so I could finally get round to watching some third dimensional content. The idea was to build a compact organizer and charging station for them.

Where did all these come from??!! I thought I had eight at most..

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	03D.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	271.4 KB
ID:	2703978  
bubbrik and A.T.M. like this.
post #616 of 658 Old 04-01-2020, 07:13 AM
Audio Pack Rat

Looks like you need to add more seating in your HT to take advantage of all of those 3D glasses!
impreza276 and A.T.M. like this.

Spoiler!
post #617 of 658 Old 04-28-2020, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

One thing that always was going to be a compromise was the sofa. I could not find something in the combination size, style, and fabric that I wanted. Oh, and a price that is not much over the lower four figures. The current sofa has done the job, but its only so-so.

A couple of days ago I ordered a larger sofa twice the price. The following day sanity set in and I cancelled the order. It still wasn't a style I was keen on. There just is not much out there outside the norm.

So... The idea occurred to me. Why not just build one? I've been going through the videos of frame construction on Youtube. It doesn't look that complicated. I can build the frame, pad it, then send to an upholsterer for finishing. Have any of you built a sofa before?

In the meantime, spacers to keep the sofa the required distance from the wall.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	01cth.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	326.6 KB
ID:	2718062   Click image for larger version

Name:	02cth.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	2718064  
Jedi940 and A.T.M. like this.
post #618 of 658 Old 04-29-2020, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 262
This might be a first for this forum. I don't recall anyone building their own theater seating before. Seems like that could be difficult to get the stuffing right but perhaps I'm over thinking it. I look forward to watching your progress. What sort of style/fabric combo are you looking for? Is there something in the upper 4 figures range that you're trying to emulate?
post #619 of 658 Old 04-29-2020, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi940 View Post
This might be a first for this forum. I don't recall anyone building their own theater seating before. Seems like that could be difficult to get the stuffing right but perhaps I'm over thinking it. I look forward to watching your progress. What sort of style/fabric combo are you looking for? Is there something in the upper 4 figures range that you're trying to emulate?
Honestly my current couch would be fine if it were four inches deeper, a darker color, and different foam for the cushioning. Looking at the construction of most sofas, it is the seat cushions that determine the feel. The base is more like a box spring. I hear the Restoration Hardware Cloud is an awesome sofa, but it runs close to five figures. I remember coming across an imitation at Value City that had terrible cushioning. The back is low enough to give a clear path to the surround speakers.

With DIY now on the table it opens a whole tub of other possibilities. I''ve thought about buying a cheap beaten up name brand sofa from the classifieds, so I can disassemble it and borrow construction techniques.

post #620 of 658 Old 04-29-2020, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I was planning to get my hands on a used sofa to dissect and reverse engineer. It obviously is a challenge at this time. Then I decided to look under my couch - just a matter of removing a few staples at the bottom to get inside. I thought it would use plenty of a lot of hardwood, but there doesn't seem to be a lot going on. Most of the materials look like the leftovers from my theater construction

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	01sfa.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	238.3 KB
ID:	2718600   Click image for larger version

Name:	02sfa.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	222.8 KB
ID:	2718602   Click image for larger version

Name:	03sfa.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	219.3 KB
ID:	2718604  
post #621 of 658 Old 04-29-2020, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 283
There was a show on PBS years ago with 2 guys that built furniture. I vaguely remember them doing upholstered pieces. The guys were a little quirky. Anyone remember the name of the show?
impreza276 likes this.
post #622 of 658 Old 04-30-2020, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Here's what I've found so far:

It's all in the cushion. The cushion is the most important part of the sofa's comfort. High density foam is better and lasts longer. Your average sofa with high density foam normally has a rating of 1.8 (lbs per cu. ft.). Heavy duty commercial sofas are higher and can come above 3.0. Density is not synonymous with firmness. Coils in the cushions are ultimately not recommended.

Decent quality sinuous springs are pretty much as good as any other method of springing.

For this project the frame is going to be the easiest and cheapest part. What is going to cost money and may require specialist help is the cushioning and upholstery. I priced out some online upholstered cushions and fabric for my project. The cost came out to $1800

Last edited by impreza276; 04-30-2020 at 05:05 PM.
post #623 of 658 Old 05-01-2020, 03:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 1699 Post(s)
Liked: 2016
Pro tip - Look at online ads (LetGo, Offer Up, FB Marketplace, etc.) in the fanciest neighborhoods of the city - you'll likely find something super high quality in great condition for pennies on the dollar. Even if all you have to do is reupholster with your chosen fabric (using a professional!), you'll still end up with a much higher-quality end product. I can't tell you how many $5000 couches I've seen selling for $300 - $500 in great shape - especially the really nice ones which sit in a front formal living room no one really uses.
James92TSi, impreza276 and pkinneb like this.
post #624 of 658 Old 05-04-2020, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
Pro tip - Look at online ads (LetGo, Offer Up, FB Marketplace, etc.) in the fanciest neighborhoods of the city - you'll likely find something super high quality in great condition for pennies on the dollar. Even if all you have to do is reupholster with your chosen fabric (using a professional!), you'll still end up with a much higher-quality end product. I can't tell you how many $5000 couches I've seen selling for $300 - $500 in great shape - especially the really nice ones which sit in a front formal living room no one really uses.
There are some great used deals in the classifieds indeed. The catch seems to be the type of sofa I'm after - one that is deep, around 46 inches. Most larger ones top out at 40.

It has been interesting studying the construction of my current sofa. The insides look flimsy and materials cheap so it is a wonder that it still feels relatively solid. I'm all for cheap materials if they will cut the cost of the build and keep the couch light. I'd love to see the CAD work they do to ensure these barely-there materials amount to a solid structure.
post #625 of 658 Old 05-04-2020, 09:22 AM
Audio Pack Rat

Since you have already jumped down this new rabbit hole you might be aware of this company already.
www.thefoamfactory.com/

I have purchased replacement seat cushions for my office chairs and some dining room pads for us older and less tolerant of hard chairs in my family for years now.
I have not bought any as replacement cushions for furniture yet however.
impreza276 and pkinneb like this.

Spoiler!
post #626 of 658 Old 05-04-2020, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks, I will check them out!
post #627 of 658 Old 05-04-2020, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

A sofa 8 gauge spring repair kit came in, about an hour ago. I'm chuffed by how quickly this test rig came together. What is not so good is how it performs. I sink like I am passing a medieval witch trial with flying colors. It has me seriously considering quitting while I'm ahead.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	00spr.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	273.7 KB
ID:	2721158   Click image for larger version

Name:	01spr.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	281.3 KB
ID:	2721160  
post #628 of 658 Old 05-04-2020, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Turns out that just like I was too quick to put the rig together, I was too quick to despair. Pulling the springs tauter, spacing them closer, and setting the anchors the right way round has made a world of difference. I also browsed through available sofas online and confirmed there is nothing that comes close to what I'm after. We're back on track!
A.T.M. and pkinneb like this.
post #629 of 658 Old 05-12-2020, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Assembly of the Gen. 3 HVAC system. The mini split performed outstandingly last summer in keeping the basement cool. It has come out as an MVP just as much in another way - Providing heat. The heat pump mode has been a godsend filling in for the theater room when the main heating is not running.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	01dct.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	393.2 KB
ID:	2725172  
sirjaymz, A.T.M. and pkinneb like this.
post #630 of 658 Old 05-21-2020, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

A small project. The room is rarely dark when I am watching regular programming. I added a couple of small lamps to help with ambient lighting. They are too short, and I want to direct the light away from the screen, so I covered them with cardboard screens.

It was time to make respectable lamps out of them so the screens have been redone in soft pine. I had considered a design like this as column lighting for the theater before deciding against it for practical reasons. I might try them out with Hue bulbs to play around with colors.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	01lmp.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	2730148   Click image for larger version

Name:	02lmp.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	253.9 KB
ID:	2730150   Click image for larger version

Name:	03lmp.jpg
Views:	134