I know, strictly speaking it's a media room not a dedicated HT room. However my areas of concern align more with what I see here than the general media room forum.
This is a project I was not going to tackle any time soon. I have been working relentlessly on home renovation on my old rancher for too long and was looking forward to a well needed break from it. However my hand has been forced. In the height of summer the basement is too hot and humid to be comfortable, so I want to install a ductless mini split AC/heat pump. However there is little point installing one in a room that is needs to be redone in the near future, so might as well tackle it over this coming winter.
The goals of the project are:
- Better, quieter HVAC. There is no air conditioning since I removed a crudely installed window unit. The noise from a portable dehumidifier does not help. Air quality not the greatest either.
- Soundproofing: I currently cannot use my Hifi or surround system without making the rest of the household miserable
- Better acoustics: My surround system sounds ok but the HiFi terrible
- Better lighting. Currently just two recessed lights and a couple of stand lights in the room. I'm looking for far better lighting/control
- Cable routing. It's on the floor at the moment. To include mounts/posts for 4 Atmos speakers and conduit for future upgrades.
I'm working on a pretty tight budget but plan to go the full 5/8 DD with green glue route, with IB-3 brackets to decouple most walls and whisper clips/channel the rest. The ceiling will be clips/channel. I really wish I could have made my room-within-a-room idea work, it would have been perfect! The door will be a standard solid core exterior door.
The original plan was to have a BenQ projector with a 90 inch screen. Along the way I figured that a large HDTV would be a better choice in most respects. My surround system is a Polk sub/sat that I am happy with. I will buy four more sats for Atmos as soon as the amp is upgraded.
The build should be pretty straight forward apart from a few of issues: I was looking at Energy Recovery Ventilator systems to improve air quality but finding a way to duct them to the outside is the challenge. Ideally the cast iron radiator would be moved back about 9 inches but I'm feeling I should let sleeping dogs lie. The wall that will be behind the radiator falls directly under the I-beam which complicates decoupling. The ceiling is low so I will need to recess the clips/channels to save height. Looking forward to your input/recommendations!
P.S. As you can see I have started stripping the room bit by bit, with the drop ceiling now completely removed. The door closes off the room and does not exit to the outside.