Things are moving again... After returning home from vacation I was inspired to get back to work. Unfortunately my new projector is still not on the way, but I have plenty to do yet, and although there are hundreds of little details to get done before any real progress is made, I know the only way to get moving is to just start working on it. Thankfully the weather is no longer in the negatives, and it even got into the 60's, so snow is melting and it feels good to get outside.
Although I was up hella early on Friday to catch a 6 am plane from Vegas to home, I took advantage of the nice weather to hit the hardware store and pick up about 15 2x4's to get some more framing done on the rec room. Then I dug in to one of the many items on the list to fix before I can start thinking drywall. This might not seem like part of the theater, but in order to get the second door on the theater and finish the soundproofing and the entrance to the room, I need to get going on drywall, and I can't do that until electrical and framing is complete.
I have a fireplace in the house, and to accommodate it, they had to bump out the foundation. This carries all the way to the basement, and left me with a good opportunity for a nice feature in the rec room. But it needed to be framed in so I can insulate and drywall. First step, clear it out. This was a pain as there was more than just some insulation and framing in the way, I had months of miscellaneous items stacked along that wall.
Then I got the back and side walls framed in and connected to the existing baseplate. From there I could square it up and get it level and plumb. Then I could cut the baseplate to complete the opening. The top of the opening is 8 feet up, and that allowed me to put a light in the nook.
After a little more framing to accommodate drywall, I was able to move on to electrical, which again was a chore. I not only had several items stored along the back wall of the rec room, some of it was the pool table and the heavy slate that goes with it. Once it was all cleared out, I had to pull insulation up to drill holes and feed romex. It took the better part of the day to install 5 more outlets in the room, including one that will be at the back of the nook, but it is finally done. I replaced all the insulation and then cut and installed the insulation around the nook.
I then framed out one small area around an HVAC return that couldn't be avoided (it is above where the bar will go, to the left of the Theater entrance). With that done, I just have a few more details left before I can start drywalling the ceiling. First, I needed to rethink the exhaust fan for the theater air circulation system. Despite using a couple IB-3 clips to isolate it, these 300cfm fans vibrate and it was audible upstairs in the living room. I removed the bolts and suspended it with zip ties. I will finish with some rigid fiberglass around the fan (leaving enough room to reach up in there to service or replace it later). Ultimately I will leave an opening in the ceiling that I will cover with an access panel so I can service the fan in the future.
I still need to move some water lines that are too close to the edge of the trusses and could easily be hit in the future if putting any kind of nail or screw in the ceiling. Then I need to build the vent box for the exhaust vent, which I decided to just do with 1/2" MDF and a 6" collar to adapt the flex duct to the box. And finally, I need to insulate the ceiling. This will go a long way toward reducing sound from the rec room from getting up into the living room above. It isn't actual soundproofing, but for reducing upper frequencies it is plenty effective. I have 16" of depth in the trusses, so filling that with 12-14" of pink fluffy will do the trick.
Once that is done it will be time to sling some drywall on the ceiling. And after that, the outside of the theater wall will get a single layer of 5/8, and the rest will get some regular 1/2".
I hope to get the insulation in this next weekend, and maybe even start getting a few sheets up on the ceiling.
In more theater related news, I got the fan installed for the projector and tested that out. The 12v trigger turns the fan on, and then when the projector turns off the fan stays on for about 10 minutes. It works perfectly, and despite the fan being fairly loud and vibrating like crazy, inside the theater you can barely hear it from 2 feet away. It is rated at about 110 cfm, and I need about 95cfm for the projector, so I think I am good. Once the projector box is enclosed, I don't think I will hear anything from the circulation system. If I can knock the projector noise down by 6-10 db when on high fan, it will be virtually silent from the seats, and that is the goal.
The RGBW lighting all showed up, so at some point I will work on getting that all cut and soldered, tested, burned in, and eventually installed. I found some drop ceiling wire and I think it will be perfect for attaching to the LED strips so I can just drop it all into place and feed the power wires through and hook it all up. I really want to get the rec room further along though, so my focus is on that right now. I will also probably keep working toward finishing the rest of the basement in the coming months, but with so much to do, I am just taking it a day at a time...
Finally, I took a couple pics of the current state of the theater. As panels went up I don't know if I posted any broader pics. So here are a couple. The carpet of course is darker in person, but without good lighting and a good camera (and someone to operate it), this is the best I can get. It is also fairly dirty as I have not yet taken the time to go and dust, wipe down panels, and touch up paint. I do plan to have it all professionally photographed when it is "done"...
And one shot along the wall, showing how the varying depths turned out.
More to come in the next couple months...