AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by deewan View Post
Thanks!

You are making good progress, especially considering that long drive you made. I love to drive, but that was quite some journey you took. I saw your updates yesterday so I know you are still working hard. I wish I lived closer as I'd love to offer a hand to complete your build!

I'd probably take you up on that offer if you were closer.. I find myself wasting too much time..but.. I'll get there sooner or later...

I do have a question, the fabric frames for your false screen wall, was that black DMD Fabric as well around the screen?

HT1.0 | HT2.05
JVC RS-2000 / Seymour AV Center Stage 130"diag, 2.35 / nVidia Shield
11.2(22).6 Atmos / Denon 7200WA / Denon 6300 / 2x miniDSP2x4HD / DIY treatments
2x NU6000DSP / 2x NU3000DSP / 2x Klipsch R-112SW / 4x UM18-22 / 4x PA-460 / 12x JBL 12"
Klipsch RF-82/RC-64II/RS-42/RS-41/BS-62/CDT3800-C-II
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 323 Old 06-13-2018, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjaymz View Post
I do have a question, the fabric frames for your false screen wall, was that black DMD Fabric as well around the screen?
That is correct. The fabric around the screen and the false wall is the black DMD. The rest of the room is the charcoal DMD fabric.

The Other Theater (most recent build)
Old Woods Remodel
Old Wood Theater (first build)
Marantz 8805 (Emotiva RMC in a box) | JVC X790R | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XPA 4-3s | Oppo 203 | DIYSG 1099 | DIYSG Volt 8 | DIYSG Volt 6 | SVS PC-4000 | Seymour UF 132"
post #303 of 323 Old 06-19-2018, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Finally heard back from SVS. I have a tracking number and my sub should be delivered this Friday. Let the movie watching marathons begin.
nickbuol likes this.

Old Woods Remodel
Marantz 8805 (Emotiva RMC in a box) | JVC X790R | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XPA 4-3s | Oppo 203 | DIYSG 1099 | DIYSG Volt 8 | DIYSG Volt 6 | SVS PC-4000 | Seymour UF 132"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #304 of 323 Old 06-19-2018, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked: 865
Quote:
Finally heard back from SVS. I have a tracking number and my sub should be delivered this Friday. Let the movie watching marathons begin.
thrillcat and bubbrik like this.
post #305 of 323 Old 06-27-2018, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The theater is fully complete. I took delivery of the SVS PC-4000 last Thursday and promptly installed it. My original plans were to start with a single PC-4000 and add a second and then possible some smaller PC-2000's in the back of the room. Well, after dialing in the single PC-4000 I am not sure I'll ever need any more bass. That thing is very impressive. I was in such a hurry to get the sub in place I forgot to snap photos of the sub or where I placed it in the room.

The install of the sub marks the completion of the room. The only things that remain are upgrades. Although many of those are likely not needed. I won't need a second sub unless my bass taste drastically change. The JVC DLA-X790R is a great performer so I'm in no hurry to upgrade that device. I am still keeping my eye on the Emotiva RMC-1 as I'd love to get a device with Dirac back into my room and I miss my XMC-1. All in all, the room is great and I've been enjoying watching movies again with family and friends.

Old Woods Remodel
post #306 of 323 Old 06-28-2018, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Hi Darren,

Just went through your whole build thread - very impressive! The quality of work, the speed, your DIY ability (installing your own carpet and DIY cabinet fronts) were great. And I think I will be "borrowing" the splayed ceiling look. I was hoping to do lights and acoustic treatment in the ceiling, and was trying to figure out how. Thanks for the detailed pics on how to do it! It'll save me hours of sitting in my thinking chair in the middle of the room, wondering how to do it. The pictures look great, and should help to convince my wife.

Again, great work!

Darren
post #307 of 323 Old 08-22-2018, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
My room framed right now is at 13'6" and I'm wonder if the 5* angle would take up too much off the sides. would you recommenced going with less angle to save room width. I'm also planning on a 3 row seating room or just one row of 4. I haven't decided that yet.
post #308 of 323 Old 08-22-2018, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny945 View Post
My room framed right now is at 13'6" and I'm wonder if the 5* angle would take up too much off the sides. would you recommenced going with less angle to save room width. I'm also planning on a 3 row seating room or just one row of 4. I haven't decided that yet.
Remember that the splayed walls are angled so while there are sections with the maximum area taken up, there are also areas that have no area taken up. Measure how wide your seats are and if the splays will interfere with the seating or walkways. I had a few trade-offs to make sure my splayed walls didn't interfere.

Old Woods Remodel
post #309 of 323 Old 09-11-2018, 09:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 74
New build turned out pretty sweet.

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

post #310 of 323 Old 09-12-2018, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks @W00lly . I'm enjoying the finished product and everyone who has seen the room has given a nice review. I have about 35 hours on the bulbs so far, not a lot but more than I thought I'd have at this point considering we still have great weather and I've been spending a lot of time outside. I'm sure once the weather turns cold the hours will increase significantly.

Since I'm posting I'll give a quick update on other theater matters......

I spent one night during the very wet Labor Day weekend doing some cable management and rearranging of the equipment in the rack. Emotiva has announced what seems to be a firm release date for their RMC-1 processor, I prepared a 4U space in the rack for the unit. Once the RMC-1 is shipping I'll post my Marantz 7704 for sale. If anyone is looking for a sweet deal on a slightly used Marantz 7704 processor in the coming months keep an eye open or let me know.

I have a few theater to-do items left from the initial project that I've been waiting to complete until this winter.

* Measuring the room with REQ and treating the room. Right now the room sounds good but I don't have much up for room treatment. I know I can make it sound better.

* I need to build the sound isolation closet around my equipment rack. I've been happy with the sound kept in and out of my theater so far considering I have a 2' x 6' hole in the wall where the equipment rack stands. Once I can seal up that hole I think the room will be dead silent on the inside and much quieter throughout the rest of the house.

* I have a few ides for unique bookends to keep my movies and CD cases in place. Sometime this winter I plan on make a few.

* Finally, I want to add some movie props or memorabilia to the bottom storage areas of my rear shelves. I haven't decided what I want down there yet, but I want to make it stand out a bit instead of just empty storage space.

Old Woods Remodel
post #311 of 323 Old 09-12-2018, 10:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 74
How do the volt 6's sound for Atmos ?
Do you think the volt 10's would be overkill for overhead speakers as i'm running 10's for surrounds. i do have the height. I mite be interested in that Marantz

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

post #312 of 323 Old 09-13-2018, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W00lly View Post
How do the volt 6's sound for Atmos ?
Do you think the volt 10's would be overkill for overhead speakers as i'm running 10's for surrounds. i do have the height. I mite be interested in that Marantz
I think the Volt 6 speakers do fine with the overhead channels. I've only watched a handful of Atmos tracks so far but I haven't regretted my decision. My personal opinion, the Volt 6's do a great job for overhead unless you want well above reference sound levels. The Volt 8's would be king of the hill and leave you wanting nothing more. The Volt 10 would likely be overkill and never fully utilized to their potential. For me, reference level is the upper end of my listening habits so the Volt 6 work great.

If you want I can reach out to you when I go to sell the Marantz.

Old Woods Remodel
post #313 of 323 Old 09-13-2018, 08:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked: 865
Deewan is pretty spot on with this.

When I was last at CEDIA (2016) in the Denon/Marantz demo room, they emphasized how important it was to have "full range" speakers overhead for Atmos and by "full range" he meant speakers with a large 10" woofer. Wowza.

They played some clip from one of the Transformers movies and yes, you could get a sense of bass energy coming from overhead that seemed pretty appropriate for what was on the screen (large robots battling out overhead). It was really cool experiencing it for the 2nd time after he pointed it out after the 1st viewing of the demo, however... At what point do you hit that point of diminishing returns? 10" was great, but for Atmos scenes that are more ambient sound or ones without giant robots battling overhead, it seems like the cost of those 10" woofer driven overheads is wasted for most Atmos material.

I'm using overheads with 6.5" woofers and a 1" tweeter and that seems pretty darn good to me, so that is pretty close to the Volt 6 in size. Like deewan mentions, Volt 8s are probably the top of the performance for price side of things before that diminishes with something like a Volt 10.
post #314 of 323 Old 09-27-2018, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I hope you don't mind me moving your post to my thread so we don't go waaaay off topic from the Monoproce speaker stands...

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post

By the way, just check your theater link on your signature, very nice!!!
Are those acoustic treatment panels on the walls?
Also like the way you have all your equipment in the wall, a lot more sophisticated than mine.

Ray
On the front 2/3 of the room all the panels are made from acoustically transparent fabric. Some of the panels have acoustic treatments hidden behind them, but most are empty right now until I measure the room and determine what additional treatments I need. I do have absorption hidden behind the panels on the ceiling at the first reflection point for each row of seating.

The back side walls of the room have no treatment despite the stacks slate-ish looking like some sort of diffuser. On the back wall the outer corners have 2" OC703 for absorption.

Thanks for the kind words about my room. It turned out as well as I had hoped. Regarding the level of sophistication compared to your room, when the lights are out and the movie is on I am sure we both have excellent movie watching experiences and that is all that really matters! If you have any other questions I'm happy to try and answer.

Old Woods Remodel
post #315 of 323 Old 09-27-2018, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked: 3368
Quote:
I hope you don't mind me moving your post to my thread so we don't go waaaay off topic from the Monoproce speaker stands...

On the front 2/3 of the room all the panels are made from acoustically transparent fabric. Some of the panels have acoustic treatments hidden behind them, but most are empty right now until I measure the room and determine what additional treatments I need. I do have absorption hidden behind the panels on the ceiling at the first reflection point for each row of seating.

The back side walls of the room have no treatment despite the stacks slate-ish looking like some sort of diffuser. On the back wall the outer corners have 2" OC703 for absorption.

Thanks for the kind words about my room. It turned out as well as I had hoped. Regarding the level of sophistication compared to your room, when the lights are out and the movie is on I am sure we both have excellent movie watching experiences and that is all that really matters! If you have any other questions I'm happy to try and answer.

For moving the post, not at all
One day, I will learn to also be able to that

No questions on my part, I did what I could for my given space, it sound great and very happy with the video quality.

Ray

Last edited by darthray; 09-27-2018 at 08:29 AM.
post #316 of 323 Old 10-19-2018, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Had some vacation time from work I needed to burn and I had no other projects around the house so I started on the equipment closet. I was going to build something out of 2x4 lumber, but I decided to go a little more minimal design. I also wanted to make sure if I needed to do major equipment swaps I could take all the panels down and gain full access to the equipment rack.

Backside of the equipment rack at the start of the day. I also did some cable management work before I began the closet enclosure.

I constructed a frame around the rack using 1.5 slotted steel angle

I used bolts, washers and nuts to fasten the frame together. I made sure the bolts were long enough I could use to hang 3/4 boards on.

Next I cut sides to height and width and then drilled holes in the location of the bolts. I also installed some cheap drawer pulls to help lift and move the side panels around.

Three panels installed. I will use speaker gasket tape to help seal any seams that may let air/sound pass.

I do need to do something about the hole with the power cords. I'm guessing stuff some old socks or cloth rags in the hole. I'm not worried about making this closet perfect since it will be in a equipment room with insulated walls and a solid core door. So really if the closest does a halfway average job of deadening sound before it enters a room that will also be cut off from the rest of the house, it's a win for me.

In other news, JVC has delayed their arrival date for some of of the new 4K projectors so the projector upgrade may be slightly delayed. Emotiva is still shooting for a mid-November release date for the RMC-1. So the end of November could be an interesting upgrade time for my room.

Old Woods Remodel
post #317 of 323 Old 09-22-2019, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 109
@deewan

I just read through your thread - GREAT build! I've been following your RMC-1 posts closely too.

Pete

High Desert Theater - work in progress
Building Bass - Subs
Surrounds - Easy as Pi
Storage - unRAID unDELL
Mains - Another piece of Pi
post #318 of 323 Old 09-22-2019, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
@deewan

I just read through your thread - GREAT build! I've been following your RMC-1 posts closely too.

Pete
Thanks Pete. The RMC is currently in a box and the 8805 is doing a great job giving me a working theater. There are still SEVERAL issues wit the RMC that make it unusable for me and Emotiva has used up all 'good faith' they once had in my book. Only time will tell if the 8805, the new Monoprice processor, the RMC or another processor are in my system this winter.

Old Woods Remodel
post #319 of 323 Old 09-26-2019, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1166 Post(s)
Liked: 977
Quote:
Thanks Pete. The RMC is currently in a box and the 8805 is doing a great job giving me a working theater. There are still SEVERAL issues wit the RMC that make it unusable for me and Emotiva has used up all 'good faith' they once had in my book. Only time will tell if the 8805, the new Monoprice processor, the RMC or another processor are in my system this winter.

For those of us who haven’t been following your RMC saga, can you give us the short version of the issues you’re having? Asking because the RMC has my interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk?

"Rockbiter" DO SI18 sub build - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...o-si-18-a.html
Ambesolman's Cleverly Titled Theater build - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...ter-build.html
post #320 of 323 Old 09-27-2019, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

@ambesolman - Oh boy. Where to begin??

To summarized the RMC and my experience with it, Emotiva released it about 10 months to early and without a solid testing plan or testing execution. I've had 3 different RMC units come through my home. All of them have had issues ranging from poor hardware quality, the processors inability to lock on to hdmi signals and and finally incorrectly decoding certain soundtracks.

Current issues with public FW 1.6
  • Test tones are not correct, especially as they relate to the subwoofer.
  • I believe when using test tones and exiting menus and while certain audio formats are playing in the background, if the RMC is set to "auto" to select the correct decoder the processor defaults to Stereo. In other words, unless you are paying attention you may assume you are listening to a surround sound movie but in reality the RMC playback is 2.0 (or something else).
  • If only the volume is displayed on the left OLED, the value shown is not correct if a volume adjustment is made.
  • Static audio occurs if I fast forward a file from my movie streamer. The issue appears to only occur if the audio file is Dolby HD 5.1. Lossy audio and 2.0 does not show this issue.
  • Robtic type sound coming from the center channel during certain situations. Unable to reproduce on demand but it continues to happen randomly.
  • When switching to the Cable box, I often lose audio. Only way to restore audio is to switch inputs. Changing channels does not resolve he audio. Others with Tivo boxes are experiencing the same thing.
ambesolman likes this.

Old Woods Remodel
post #321 of 323 Old 09-29-2019, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Oh man, that sucks to hear about the RMC bugs! Hope they get hashed out before long so you can enjoy that thing. I’m not in the market yet as I’m still rocking a 1080p projector but when I am ready I was hoping the RMC would be a no brainer. I’ve been very happy with my original XMC running double duty as my theater and 2 channel processor so this is a bit disconcerting.

Keep us updated on your experience with it (or lack thereof).
brazensol likes this.
post #322 of 323 Old 09-30-2019, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draden1 View Post
Oh man, that sucks to hear about the RMC bugs! Hope they get hashed out before long so you can enjoy that thing. I’m not in the market yet as I’m still rocking a 1080p projector but when I am ready I was hoping the RMC would be a no brainer. I’ve been very happy with my original XMC running double duty as my theater and 2 channel processor so this is a bit disconcerting.

Keep us updated on your experience with it (or lack thereof).
Will do. It's been 10 months and not until recently has the RMC been in a somewhat acceptable functioning state. I need to ask Emotiva about the warranty since 30% of my warranty has been used while the processor sits in a box since it's plagued with bugs that make some audio formats unwatchable.

Old Woods Remodel
post #323 of 323 Old 09-30-2019, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Your bullet that killed me was this one:

- Robtic type sound coming from the center channel during certain situations. Unable to
reproduce on demand but it continues to happen randomly.

WHAT?!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page