post #212 of 323 Old 04-19-2018, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Pretty sweet. You seem to be a very patient guy .....Very impressive.....
Thank you for your kind words. I'm really happy with how the room is coming together.

I'm not sure if anyone has ever described me as "very patient" before. If you get to know me better you may change your mind. LOL

The Other Theater (most recent build)
Old Woods Remodel
Old Wood Theater (first build)
Marantz 8805 (Emotiva RMC in a box) | JVC X790R | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XPA 4-3s | Oppo 203 | DIYSG 1099 | DIYSG Volt 8 | DIYSG Volt 6 | SVS PC-4000 | Seymour UF 132"
post #213 of 323 Old 04-20-2018, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I've been working this week, but nothing that is really noticeable or picture friendly.

I have installed and wired buttkickers in all six seats. During wiring the buttkickers I made sure to zip tie all the speaker wires under the chairs as well as the tidy up the electrical cords under the chairs. The electrical wiring under the chairs came installed zip tied down and very tidy. What I tried to do was clean up the cords from the chairs to the electrical outlets in the riser.

I took deliver of the Seymour screen yesterday. I unpacked some of the screen to check it out, but the majority was left in the box including the screen material itself. I began building my arm extensions that will support the screen from my minimalist screen wall. I hope to have that complete by tomorrow which means the screen could be hung by tomorrow night.

Along with the screen install tomorrow, I hope to start putting some equipment in the rack. The fully completed theater will have a sound isolation closet around the equipment rack. In order to get the room running for the Cinco de Mayo party my wife is hosting, I'm going to get the equipment in the rack and next fall complete the sound isolation closet. One other thing I thought about when dealing with the rack is the shelves and face plates I need to buy. The problem is the Marantz is only temporary so I don't know how I want to mount it. I may just buy a generic rack shelf or see if any of my current rack ears will work.

The only work I completed that I do have pictures of to share are the front LCR speakers. I've built many speakers cabinets in the past, each one increasing in complexity with curves, bends and compartments. Knowing these cabinets would almost never be seen I didn't spend much time on finishing these. 3/4" mdf boxes attached to the baffles supplied with the kit. I didn't fill any nail holes and barely cleaned up where the glue squeezed out from a seam. The paint job, so little effort. The cabinets are black and they should never be seen behind the screen. So mission accomplished. Tonight I will also be building some speaker stands so the horns are just above ear level for the first row.

Old Woods Remodel
Marantz 8805 (Emotiva RMC in a box) | JVC X790R | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XPA 4-3s | Oppo 203 | DIYSG 1099 | DIYSG Volt 8 | DIYSG Volt 6 | SVS PC-4000 | Seymour UF 132"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 323 Old 04-21-2018, 07:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 831 Post(s)
Liked: 857
DIYSG 1099s?

I've told myself that if I ever did a room again in a different house, and I left my current speakers in my previous house, that I would go with 1099s, even though I have never heard them.

They are so impressive looking.
monty6400 likes this.
post #215 of 323 Old 04-23-2018, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
DIYSG 1099s?

I've told myself that if I ever did a room again in a different house, and I left my current speakers in my previous house, that I would go with 1099s, even though I have never heard them.

They are so impressive looking.
Well now you have someplace local where you can come listen to them if you want. I auditioned the Titans LX several months ago and I just couldn't see myself ever needing that much firepower, even in a room twice my size. When I was told dual SVS PC-4000 subs wouldn't provide enough bass for the Titans high performance I knew I could dial it down a bit. I heard the 1299's last fall and really liked them, but even those felt like they had so much headroom I'd never tap into. So I took a leap of faith on the 1099's knowing they were VERY similar to the 1299's with a little lower extension and smaller cabinets. The 1099 speakers aren't fully broken in yet and I have done no EQ'ing and very little for room treatments, but the 1099's have great stereo imaging and they have plenty of fire power for my size of room. I listened to the main theme songs from Back to the Future, Batman and Star Wars and the 1099's with the Emotiva XPA amps are a killer combo. The mid-bass from the speakers was tactile enough even for me even without true reference levels.
nickbuol and bubbrik like this.

Old Woods Remodel
post #216 of 323 Old 04-23-2018, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by deewan View Post
I've been working this week, but nothing that is really noticeable or picture friendly.

I have installed and wired buttkickers in all six seats. During wiring the buttkickers I made sure to zip tie all the speaker wires under the chairs as well as the tidy up the electrical cords under the chairs. The electrical wiring under the chairs came installed zip tied down and very tidy. What I tried to do was clean up the cords from the chairs to the electrical outlets in the riser.

I took deliver of the Seymour screen yesterday. I unpacked some of the screen to check it out, but the majority was left in the box including the screen material itself. I began building my arm extensions that will support the screen from my minimalist screen wall. I hope to have that complete by tomorrow which means the screen could be hung by tomorrow night.

Along with the screen install tomorrow, I hope to start putting some equipment in the rack. The fully completed theater will have a sound isolation closet around the equipment rack. In order to get the room running for the Cinco de Mayo party my wife is hosting, I'm going to get the equipment in the rack and next fall complete the sound isolation closet. One other thing I thought about when dealing with the rack is the shelves and face plates I need to buy. The problem is the Marantz is only temporary so I don't know how I want to mount it. I may just buy a generic rack shelf or see if any of my current rack ears will work.

The only work I completed that I do have pictures of to share are the front LCR speakers. I've built many speakers cabinets in the past, each one increasing in complexity with curves, bends and compartments. Knowing these cabinets would almost never be seen I didn't spend much time on finishing these. 3/4" mdf boxes attached to the baffles supplied with the kit. I didn't fill any nail holes and barely cleaned up where the glue squeezed out from a seam. The paint job, so little effort. The cabinets are black and they should never be seen behind the screen. So mission accomplished. Tonight I will also be building some speaker stands so the horns are just above ear level for the first row.

Love the look of the 1099s. I am interested in what you do for speaker stands. I'll be needing to do the same thing here in a few weeks, since I opted to not do a baffle wall, and could use some design inspiration.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #217 of 323 Old 04-23-2018, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuzzTheFuzz View Post
Love the look of the 1099s. I am interested in what you do for speaker stands. I'll be needing to do the same thing here in a few weeks, since I opted to not do a baffle wall, and could use some design inspiration.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Ehhhh, not sure I have any pictures of the stand I built. But I can tell you want I did. A base of 3/4 BB plywood with three 2x4 kiln dried risers (two in front and one in back) and a top plate of more 3/4 BB plywood. Then spray painted flat black. Not pretty, but you will never see them. Next time I take the screen down I'll try to snap a few photos for you.

Old Woods Remodel
post #218 of 323 Old 04-23-2018, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Some picture worthy progress from this past weekend. As mentioned above, I built some stands for my 1099's to get the tweeter just above ear level of the first row seating. I loaded all three speakers behind the AT front wall. Next I built out extension arms to mount my screen.For reasons that will be discussed later, I needed to also built a frame 2" smaller in diameter than the actual screen frame. You can see the secondary wood frame I built mounted below.

Next I turned my attention to assembling the Seymour screen. Frame is pretty solid, VERY easy to put together and looks great. My wife helped me hang it on the wall. It's almost ready for me to watch some Wheel of Fortune on it.

Saturday night time slipped away from me a little bit. Around 9pm I started putting equipment into my rack. Piece by piece I installed the gear and began wiring up the equipment. Before I knew it, it was 1:20 in the morning. I had all the equipment (that I have on hand) in the rack and the three front speakers wired up. So I went through the setup and tested it out.

IT WORKS!!!!!

Sunday was spent mostly organizing and cleaning the garage. I was able to get all 6 surround base speakers hung. Don't mind the dust on the speaker cabinets in the pictures. My hands were dusty and the matte black shows the dust almost as must as gloss black... strange.

Tonight I hope to finish up my cabinets and storage in the rear of the room. Then install my door and finally I'll call for my final inspection. I won't wait for all the equipment for the final inspection. I'm waiting on my JVC projector which hopefully shows up this week, my Emotiva Ten-4-3s amp and the backordered SVS PC-4000 sub.

Old Woods Remodel
post #219 of 323 Old 04-23-2018, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Looks great, congrats Deewan! Be honest, were you nervous that something wouldn't work when firing up the system for the first time?
post #220 of 323 Old 04-23-2018, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 514
I’m just glad I’m not the only one who watches The Wheel in their theater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
deewan likes this.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #221 of 323 Old 04-23-2018, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draden1 View Post
Looks great, congrats Deewan! Be honest, were you nervous that something wouldn't work when firing up the system for the first time?
HECK YEA! I always have some worry, especially when I am also wiring crossovers. Do I have everything hooked up at the amp correctly, did any of the wires break in the walls, are the crossovers wired correctly, did I label everything right? I'm always happy and relieved when it all works correctly!
sirjaymz, Draden1 and bubbrik like this.

Old Woods Remodel
post #222 of 323 Old 04-23-2018, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
I’m just glad I’m not the only one who watches The Wheel in their theater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wish there was a way to show how much I laughed with this post.

With a screen aspect ratio like ours I'm not sure what else you could possibly watch. MAYBE Family Feud? If we can find some vertical masking we could watch old reruns of Cops in the 4:3 format.

thrillcat likes this.

Old Woods Remodel
post #223 of 323 Old 04-23-2018, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1229 Post(s)
Liked: 1837
Nice looking theater deewan !
post #224 of 323 Old 04-23-2018, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm not sure what's more impressive: how great this all looks, or how quickly you did it. Amazing job.

BTW, so far your purchase of the Marantz hasn't made the RMC-1 appear! I'd be interested to know what you think of the Marantz after you've had some time to play with it. I am not sure what I'll go with if there's still no RMC-1 by mid-summer.
post #225 of 323 Old 04-23-2018, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXCVBN View Post
I'm not sure what's more impressive: how great this all looks, or how quickly you did it. Amazing job.

BTW, so far your purchase of the Marantz hasn't made the RMC-1 appear! I'd be interested to know what you think of the Marantz after you've had some time to play with it. I am not sure what I'll go with if there's still no RMC-1 by mid-summer.
Thanks, looking back through this thread it does appear everything went quickly. But of course I quickly forget the 16-20 hour weekends I spent down there or the 3-5 weekday nights.

I am trying to make the RMC-1 appear. After owning the UMC-1 and XMC-1 for the past ~6 years I forgot all the fancy GUI setup screens in products like the Marantz. The Marantz setup screens are kind of nice, but also a bit of a pain in the backside when I have to select "Next" on back to back screens showing me how to install speaker wire.

My initial feeling on the Marantz 7704 is it is a VERY solid piece. Granted I am only running it 5.0 right now. I'm sure if I had stepped up to the Marantz 8805 I'd have even less desire for the RMC-1, but the RMC-1 is the end game. If the RMC-1 has the same sonic different between it and the 8805 as the XMC-1 and the 8802 had, it will definitely be worth the wait.

Old Woods Remodel
post #226 of 323 Old 04-23-2018, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 231
How would you describe the different "signatures" in the sound going from Marantz to Emotiva?
What is different comparing the two brands?

SQ, dynamics, sharp/mild etc.

"If everything is under control you are just not driving fast enough"

Home Theatre Heaven in Spain - V2.0 - Build thread
post #227 of 323 Old 04-23-2018, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 1537 Post(s)
Liked: 1603
Love the AT screen wall! About to do one myself. Can you share how you did that? Did the panels screw into the side walls and ceiling? Pressure fit? What fabric did you use? I am thinking syfabrics triple black Velvet for mine but am not sure yet. Your room is turning out awesome.
post #228 of 323 Old 04-23-2018, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LydMekk View Post
How would you describe the different "signatures" in the sound going from Marantz to Emotiva?
What is different comparing the two brands?

SQ, dynamics, sharp/mild etc.
I can only speak to the models I have heard in my room. I went from a mid range Marantz AVR to the Emotive UMC-1 back int he day. This likely wasn't a fair comparison since I went from internal AVR amps to external amps. But the difference was night and day better with the Emotiva. But again, that isn't an apples to apples comparison.

Next I auditioned the Marantz 8802 and Emotiva XMC-1. Both great sounding pieces of equipment but I felt the dynamics were there with the XMC-1 and the 8802 was a little more laid back. Not in a bad way, just more relaxed. Loud still seemed loud, but it wasn't quick loud. It's difficult to describe. It was also my opinion that the full Dirac Room EQ beat out Audyssey.

I'm taking a bit of leap of faith on the RMC-1 vs the 8805. But if there is the same or better sound difference in favor of the Emotiva as there has been at all other levels, the RMC-1 is the only thing I want in my equipment stack.

Old Woods Remodel
post #229 of 323 Old 04-23-2018, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corradizo View Post
Love the AT screen wall! About to do one myself. Can you share how you did that? Did the panels screw into the side walls and ceiling? Pressure fit? What fabric did you use? I am thinking syfabrics triple black Velvet for mine but am not sure yet. Your room is turning out awesome.
I think I have a few pics of the minimal screen wall. It's basically just two posts at a 1/3 of the width of the room from each wall. My black panels were constructed the same way my wall panels were made. 3" wide strips of plywood covered in fabric. The side panels run from floor to ceiling. The ceiling panel is about 8" tall and is attached to the first ceiling splay. The bottom is attached to the two vertical posts using extra strong magnets.

Hopefully that gives you some ideas. I had extra things to attach to due to the splayed walls. From more ideas check out this thread.
Minimalist Screen Wall
corradizo likes this.

Old Woods Remodel
post #230 of 323 Old 04-24-2018, 05:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 719 Post(s)
Liked: 616
Awesome progress, congratulations! I completely understand the "which speaker won't fire up" fear, I have that one myself all the time!
post #231 of 323 Old 04-25-2018, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:

1099’s all the way !! I love mine and I don’t even have the EQ’d properly yet. The room is lo9king amazing sir, it’s a real credit to you DIY skills. I can only bow to you lol we are almost at the same point but yours is a much higher quality finish. I need to come by if I’m ever in that part of the world. If you or anyone are ever in northern Colorado you are welcome here
post #232 of 323 Old 04-26-2018, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukichon View Post
1099’s all the way !! I love mine and I don’t even have the EQ’d properly yet. The room is lo9king amazing sir, it’s a real credit to you DIY skills. I can only bow to you lol we are almost at the same point but yours is a much higher quality finish. I need to come by if I’m ever in that part of the world. If you or anyone are ever in northern Colorado you are welcome here
Without a subwoofer and only 5 channels of amplification, I've watched a few movie scenes and listened to some of my 2-channel music. The 1099's do not disappoint for dynamics. Movies and a few of my reference recordings (big band, symphony and music without vocals) sounded great. The stereo imagining is great with the left and right speakers toed in. But for a lot of my reference vocal recordings.... I'm glad I'll have a separate 2-channel setup. I'm not saying the 1099's are good for that, but they are missing some of the laid back, smooth action required for some of the audio I listen to. But, these are things I knew going into the build and why I designed this room to be 90% movies/TV and 10% music.

Your room looks amazing too! It was/is fun to watch both of our rooms follow the construction journey on almost the same timeline.

You are most definitely welcome to visit anytime you are in my area.

Old Woods Remodel
post #233 of 323 Old 04-26-2018, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

A lot more work being done that doesn't lend itself to pictures. One design change, the back cabinets, storage area was going to consist of CD and movie storage shelves on the top and cabinets with doors on the bottom. I've changed my mind on that and have decided to leave the areas open for storage. So I stained the inside of the area and I'll do something more to class it up a bit.

Other items I've checked off the list this week:
* Terminating all the wires in the equipment rack
* Cleaning up the construction zone outside the theater
* Cleaning up the garage
* Started the 2018 golf season. Not theater related but a big deal to me. Shot 38 on the front nine after not swinging a club for over 6 months. I'll take it!!!

I really need to start building the drawer faces and single door for the middle cabinets. Hopefully this week and weekend I can make some progress on those. Still waiting on the rest of the equipment to show up. Today is the first day I thought things might be delivered to the store. We shall see.....

The picture below shows the reasoning behind my wood frame behind the screen. I needed a place to mount the LED bias lighting.

Old Woods Remodel

Last edited by deewan; 04-26-2018 at 06:06 AM.
post #234 of 323 Old 04-28-2018, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 315
deewan would it be possible for you to post more information on the bias lighting?
Makes, model, control...
I set up my screen the the same way awhile back and have never got around to getting the lighting.
Really liking the affect you its giving you

One day I will start the new theater....... one day..... THAT DAY HAS ARRIVED
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
Family Cave Theater
Automation Thoughts/ Questions
post #235 of 323 Old 04-28-2018, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy77 View Post
deewan would it be possible for you to post more information on the bias lighting?
Makes, model, control...
I set up my screen the the same way awhile back and have never got around to getting the lighting.
Really liking the affect you its giving you
I certainly can. I purchased this brand/set of LED's for the bias lighting around my screen and for my rear cabinets and shelves (which I will try to post a picture of later this weekend).
ABI Cool White LED

To control the lights on the cabinets I have them wired to an outlet controlled by an Insteon switch. The bas lighting around the screen is controlled by a Insteon lamp switch that is plugged into the main electric outlet circuit of the room. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

One thing to note, you can also get multi-colored (coloring changing) LED's if you choose. From the beginning I knew I only wanted the cool white light so I didn't have to worry about remotes, colors changing together, etc.
Waterboy77 likes this.

Old Woods Remodel
post #236 of 323 Old 04-28-2018, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Absolutely insane looking room, very modern, very sleek, love it! If I were to build a dedicated room from scratch I can imagine it looking almost similar to this, really good progress too. And yeah DIYSG really is great value for money! Is there room behind the screen for subs? A couple 18's or 21's would for sure finish off the system greatly!
post #237 of 323 Old 04-28-2018, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

@monty6400 - Thanks for the compliments about the room. There is plenty of room behind the screen for subs. I will start with two SVS PC-4000 subs back there and then adjust/add as needed. Unfortunately the PC-4000 model is on backorder right now. So I'm working without a sub. I have prewired for dual subs in the back of the room as well.
monty6400 likes this.

Old Woods Remodel
post #238 of 323 Old 04-28-2018, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Just found this thread, Nice work on the theater room - Exciting!
post #239 of 323 Old 04-29-2018, 05:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 1537 Post(s)
Liked: 1603
Quote:
@monty6400 - Thanks for the compliments about the room. There is plenty of room behind the screen for subs. I will start with two SVS PC-4000 subs back there and then adjust/add as needed. Unfortunately the PC-4000 model is on backorder right now. So I'm working without a sub. I have prewired for dual subs in the back of the room as well.

The 1099's would pair well with (2) B&C 21DS114-4. Mark Seaton designed a diy system around this driver. You can buy prebuild boxes ready for paint and only need an inuke 6000 dsp to drive the pair as they are 99db sensitive like the 1099. I built my own boxes to fit my own limited screen depth requirements and paired then with fusion 8's. Crossed at 120hz I haven't found the volume limit as their utra low distortion at high output levels is incredible.

Article:
https://data-bass.com/data?page=system&id=144
post #240 of 323 Old 04-29-2018, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corradizo View Post
The 1099's would pair well with (2) B&C 21DS114-4. Mark Seaton designed a diy system around this driver. You can buy prebuild boxes ready for paint and only need an inuke 6000 dsp to drive the pair as they are 99db sensitive like the 1099. I built my own boxes to fit my own limited screen depth requirements and paired then with fusion 8's. Crossed at 120hz I haven't found the volume limit as their utra low distortion at high output levels is incredible.

Article:
https://data-bass.com/data?page=system&id=144
Those look really tempting. I'd prefer to stay away from pro amps though. I'm wondering with that high of sensitivity if i could get away with something like the Dayton Audio SPA500DSP 500W Subwoofer Plate Amplifier with DSP. Not as much power as the nuke, but it keeps the DSP which I want. The other problem I'd run into would be the price. I am getting an absolute steal of a deal on the SVS subs. If the B&C driver costs $540 and an amp costs around $300 and let's say $100 for materials I'm getting REALLY close to the price of having pre-finished PC-4000.

Old Woods Remodel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page