Safe n Sound for Front wall Acoustic Treatments?? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #31 of 40 Old 02-11-2018, 06:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post
Seems to make sense if you are doing a super thick panel, but the OP is asking for something behind false wall on front wall. 4 inch acoustic foam held in by T pins with actual measurent data for the win.
It's sad that you would recommend products from a company that has been caught cheating.
How do we know if they are selling the same material that they had tested?

Even if you accept the data from RAL you still are suggesting an inadequate solution. The absorption falls off at 200Hz and below which is going to create that dull room sound. 4" is better than 2" but it's still not enough.

Speaker Boundary Interference Response = SBIR

A 4" layer is going to give an unbalanced adsorption especially when it comes to the reflection of sound with about 6ft wavelength. SBIR will boost this ~200Hz wave and there will be very little >500Hz sound reflected. That dead >500Hz and 100-300Hz undead reflection imbalance gives a "heavy/dull" room sound.

Last edited by artsci2; 02-11-2018 at 07:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 02-11-2018, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post
...... if you are doing a super thick panel, but the OP is asking for something behind false wall on front wall. .....
Behind a false wall is ideal for super thick absorption. The false wall hides the absorber so ugly doesn't matter. You can pick the ones that are inexpensive and effective.
post #33 of 40 Old 02-11-2018, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 772 Post(s)
Liked: 714
1) putting a foot or more worth of absorption material depth behind your screen wall isnt the most practical thing in the world. That said, most of this hobby isnt practical to begin with.

2) safe n sound and acoustic foam are fire retardant, poly batting isnt, so a foot or more depth of it in the theater room is not super appealing.

3) frequencies below 200hz are more easily EQ?d and less directional than those above 200hz, so run your audyssey after all the absorption is in place, and if their is too much gain below 200hz, it will get knocked down.

4) seems like most of us have killer subwoofer setups - if there is going to be a weakpoint in MOST systems (not all), its going to be 80-200hz anyway, so some free gain there isnt the end of the world.

Just my take.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 40 Old 02-13-2018, 06:05 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I think my new plan is to just use Comfortboard: https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.c...000737930.html

It's 1.5" thick so I could attach some 1 x 2's (1/2" x 1 1/2" physically) on the front wall to act as framing members to friction fit the boards, and then cover with landscaping fabric and call it a day. If I start noticing fibers on my speakers, I'll add a layer of 2mil poly or something and see if it affects EQ.
post #35 of 40 Old 02-25-2019, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyd17 View Post
I think my new plan is to just use Comfortboard: https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.c...000737930.html

It's 1.5" thick so I could attach some 1 x 2's (1/2" x 1 1/2" physically) on the front wall to act as framing members to friction fit the boards, and then cover with landscaping fabric and call it a day. If I start noticing fibers on my speakers, I'll add a layer of 2mil poly or something and see if it affects EQ.
Did you end up using the Comfort board? I am in the same boat as you in Canada and am looking for a cost effective way to treat my front wall behind and AT screen. I saw the comfort board as being an easier product to use given its rigid in comparison to safe n sound or comfort batts. Did you notice an improvement in sound quality?
post #36 of 40 Old 02-25-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzer55 View Post
Did you end up using the Comfort board? I am in the same boat as you in Canada and am looking for a cost effective way to treat my front wall behind and AT screen. I saw the comfort board as being an easier product to use given its rigid in comparison to safe n sound or comfort batts. Did you notice an improvement in sound quality?

I did end up using comfortboard, both for the front wall, and individual acoustical treatments around the room. Very easy stuff to work with since it's so rigid. Only took a few drywall screws for each board to keep it in place. Covered with landscaping fabric from Canadian tire.

There was no before and after test unfortunately. Just followed best practices as I built the room and in the end, everything sounds amazing. Guests are blown away.

Attached a couple pics for ya.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	avs1.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	527.4 KB
ID:	2530900   Click image for larger version

Name:	avs2.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	427.1 KB
ID:	2530902   Click image for larger version

Name:	avs3.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	529.2 KB
ID:	2530904  
post #37 of 40 Old 02-25-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
I did end up using comfortboard, both for the front wall, and individual acoustical treatments around the room. Very easy stuff to work with since it's so rigid. Only took a few drywall screws for each board to keep it in place. Covered with landscaping fabric from Canadian tire.

There was no before and after test unfortunately. Just followed best practices as I built the room and in the end, everything sounds amazing. Guests are blown away.

Attached a couple pics for ya.
Thanks - Looks awesome. Given these are ~1.5 inches thick did you just simply use 2 inch screws directly through them in order to attach them to the wall?
By the way, what kind of speakers are those?
post #38 of 40 Old 02-25-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Thanks - Looks awesome. Given these are ~1.5 inches thick did you just simply use 2 inch screws directly through them in order to attach them to the wall?
By the way, what kind of speakers are those?

Yup, 2" drywall screws right through.

Speakers are MTM-210 from https://www.powersoundaudio.com/ They are unbelievably good.
post #39 of 40 Old 02-25-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Yup, 2" drywall screws right through.

Speakers are MTM-210 from https://www.powersoundaudio.com/ They are unbelievably good.
Great thanks, i'll look into making some of my own panels assuming the local Home Depot has the Roxul. Did you use the same material for side wall panels? I may try to find a good local supplier for those as I dont trust myself to make professional looking ones in the room itself.
post #40 of 40 Old 02-25-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Great thanks, i'll look into making some of my own panels assuming the local Home Depot has the Roxul. Did you use the same material for side wall panels? I may try to find a good local supplier for those as I dont trust myself to make professional looking ones in the room itself.

Yup, same board. The panels weren't that tough if you have the right tools (pneumatic stapler a must)

I used this stuff as it's machined straight, and doubled up on the roxulboard for 3" thickness

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.1...000127276.html

landscaping fabric as well. Was going to add a layer of nicer looking fabric but never did. Looked good enough to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	avs4.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	443.5 KB
ID:	2531064  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page