2lb MLV - Kinetics only? Or are there others as good? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-19-2017, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 32
2lb MLV - Kinetics only? Or are there others as good?

Greetings All,

As part of the theatre build, my designer is recommending I use the Kinetics brand (instead of the cheaper brands I have found like Audioseal) 2lb MLV because he said "there's significant variability with MLV in terms of quality, flexibility & heavy metal content. The Kinetics is certainly more expensive, but it is quite flexible and is also lead free. Using (it) the way we are intending, with it draped into the bays, the more flexible the better. Some low quality MLV may just crack when you ask it to do that."

It looks like I could save about $1000 by going with other brands. I could certainly use that $$ on other things for my theatre! Do you folks agree that the Kinetics brand is superior and would make a big difference? Or are there other brands you have tried that are as good or close to as good?

Thanks in advance!!

best,
brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-20-2017, 04:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by magi1500 View Post
Greetings All,

As part of the theatre build, my designer is recommending I use the Kinetics brand (instead of the cheaper brands I have found like Audioseal) 2lb MLV because he said "there's significant variability with MLV in terms of quality, flexibility & heavy metal content. The Kinetics is certainly more expensive, but it is quite flexible and is also lead free. Using (it) the way we are intending, with it draped into the bays, the more flexible the better. Some low quality MLV may just crack when you ask it to do that."

It looks like I could save about $1000 by going with other brands. I could certainly use that $$ on other things for my theatre! Do you folks agree that the Kinetics brand is superior and would make a big difference? Or are there other brands you have tried that are as good or close to as good?

Thanks in advance!!

best,
brian
My understanding is that MLV is mostly a soundproofing strategy of the past. The strategy these days is to build a room within a room with decoupled framing, or short of that, use a clip/channel system. In addition, double 5/8" drywall with green glue is used. I have been following this board for the past few years and have not seen a single project offer a soundproofing strategy that includes MLV. It is not clear from your post how you intend to use MLV, but I would reevaluate your soundproofing approach now while you still have time.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-20-2017, 09:32 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 431 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5741 Post(s)
Liked: 5300
I have a factoid in my memory about MLV. From what I recall using an additional layer of Drywall has the same benefit as adding MLV. So $12 for a 4x8 sheet of drywall versus whatever MLV costs. MLV has never been a consideration during the projects I've been involved with. Nor has it been spec'd by the three professional theater designers plans I have built.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 10-20-2017, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I'm using the MLV in the existing wall's stud bays. And then we're building new walls / dry wall with green glue in front of that (room within a room). So I am doing both things. But either way, sounds like the brand won't make a big difference.

Thanks guys!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page