“The Daydream” Dedicated Theater Build - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 445Likes

post #361 of 370 Old 05-19-2020, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by James92TSi View Post
10/10 would recommend a miniDSP, UMIK-1, and REW for calibrating subs. I have a 2x4 balanced board that I installed into a 1U case so it could be rack-mounted and have XLR jacks. I made this years ago when they didn't offer a cased version of the 2x4 balanced, nor any of the larger rackmount miniDSP iterations available now...

I'm going to experiment with this when it's time to calibrate subs in the new room: https://www.andyc.diy-audio-engineering.org/mso/html/

I could go on and on about the whole miniDSP thing. It is one of the best values in DIY audio.

I bought a UMIK-1 cross spectrum and downloaded REW on an older computer about a year ago. To be honest it was way over my head on how to set it up. Once setup I was able to make some sweeps but I still was not sure it was setup right. Then I was getting random crackling while taking measurements. So now I got the wife a new Surface Pro 7 and would like to install REW on it as it might run REW better. Right now I’m relying only on the Denon 4520CI which does a pretty good job but I want to get the best out of my setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 370 Old 05-20-2020, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post
I bought a UMIK-1 cross spectrum and downloaded REW on an older computer about a year ago. To be honest it was way over my head on how to set it up. Once setup I was able to make some sweeps but I still was not sure it was setup right. Then I was getting random crackling while taking measurements. So now I got the wife a new Surface Pro 7 and would like to install REW on it as it might run REW better. Right now I’m relying only on the Denon 4520CI which does a pretty good job but I want to get the best out of my setup.

REW and mini-DSP may not be low-hanging fruit, but based on my reading and Youtubing, I’m sure you could get a lot of bang for the buck out of them given your other proficiencies. Same with BassEQ
post #363 of 370 Old 05-22-2020, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked: 593
oh I am a believer, I held off on getting a miniDSP 2x4HD and a Umik-1 mic to handle my subs, I was like what difference could it really make and the at a little over $300 was a bit investment since my subs were on the cheaper side... but yeah world of difference, before I was running 4 subs, 2 15" subs and 2 12" subs and after dialing in my 15in subs, my 12s were not needed. I mean I could use them but I didnt need to run them like before. I absolutely love them and now I use BEQ with them to restore the LFE in many movies and it just sounds amazing.

Projector: BenQ w1500 + ES Sable 135" 16:9 Screen AVR: Marantz SR6011 ATMOS/DTSX + Pyle 2ch Amp + Darbee 5000s + miniDSP 2x4HD (for Subs) Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL/FR), CS2 Series II (C), FXiA6 (SL/SR), Monitor40 Series II (RL/RR), TSx110B (Ceiling FL/FR RL/RR) LFE: (2) Dayton 15" Subs + (2) ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 7.1.4 Source: OPPO UDP-203 4k Bluray Player, HTPC, nVidia Shield TV Pro, Hauppauge OTA DVR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #364 of 370 Old 05-26-2020, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Some updates even though it’s been raining nonstop here.

I wired up the 3 momentary switches for the masking in the column that’s been sitting there for over a year. Besides being controlled from my iPad I wanted them handy by the other switches. Mounted the brain, ip to contact closure, and original remote up in the soffit above the screen.

Cut the custom aluminum angle brackets for the 2 side screen panels and mounted them to the screen.

Right amount of gap between screen, masking, and outer panel.

Next photos you can see the adjustable slide brackets that will allow fine adjustment for the top and bottom screen surround panels. This will allow for just the right friction fit at the soffit bottom and stage. Also in order for my screen to swing out with everything attached I needed the upper panel to clear the screen lights and lower not drag on the stage. So I got the top done so far and went with it to swing down out of the way. The bottom will swing up out of the way. Then I can open the screen wall to reveal what’s behind.

Top panel up

Top panel swung down ready to open screen wall.

post #365 of 370 Old 05-27-2020, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Top and bottom done. Picked up metal plates last night for the magnets to hold the sides of the panels flush with the side panels.

post #366 of 370 Old 05-27-2020, 05:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Damn! That is just some outstanding work! Knowing how hyper conscientious you are, surprised you didn't highly polish the metal plates.

Seriously great crafting and thought process, very impressive.
bluer101 likes this.
post #367 of 370 Old 05-27-2020, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxchaser View Post
Damn! That is just some outstanding work! Knowing how hyper conscientious you are, surprised you didn't highly polish the metal plates.

Seriously great crafting and thought process, very impressive.
Lol, polish.

Thank you for the comments. It’s been a long thought process this past year. One of the reasons I have put it off on completing due to the complexity. Plus I wanted easy access to behind the screen and to show off the my work behind it. Most people have to remove the surrounding panels and set them aside. My room is small to begin with so no issue figuring out where to set the panels. The only thing I have to do is push the seats back a few inches to clear the swing.
post #368 of 370 Old 05-27-2020, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post
Top and bottom done...
Slick work.

+1 (polish lol)

Aaron

All ya need is love, and Hi Fi sound.
Asthetix, Audreal, Arcam FMJ, Musical Fidelity, Harmonix, Marantz, Tannoy, MIT, PS3, Sony Masters, OPPO
post #369 of 370 Old 05-29-2020, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

No pictures of today’s work. Had to modify the right wall / stage black fabric panel. When the screen wall opens and closes it was binding. So I removed the staples on one side and took the wood out. Gave it a 45 degree rip and shortened the supports. Also added friction blocks to keep it in place on the wall and hold the first grey panels by pressure. With the new cut and not as wide panel it now opens and closes right. When the screen wall is closed the side of the screen meets the top of the 45, so once it’s wrapped in black it will butt together perfectly.

Added the metal plates and magnets to the upper and lower screen panels too. I think I’m ready to disassemble, sand, round over, paint black, and start wrapping with fabric.
post #370 of 370 Old 05-29-2020, 10:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 443
That’s a labor intensive fix, but a good catch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page