How to paint a Star Ceiling?? OK, ask away!!! - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 36Likes

post #61 of 72 Old 10-28-2019, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Painting mountains on the wall and then bringing the star ceiling down to them

OK, so here's a test run of a stencil to paint mountains on the wall, around a room, as seen in the pictures above (of a theater room that I painted a few weeks ago. This would be easy for anyone to do on your own, or you can wait until I get around to finalizing these.

On the practice sheet... I think it turned out fairly nice, though I rushed through the moon glow on the mountain tops. But, that wasn't the main test. The mountains were, with the colors. Anyway, hopefully this will give you some ideas of something different. I also had someone ask about the size of these stencils because he wanted to add the mountains to his soffit. I hadn't thought about that... so now I am. I told him that a soffit would probably need to be around 18" on the inside for mountains to work well. Anyway... here are some pictures of the steps.

The stencil:

The background painted (I only painted down as far as I thought I'd need to for the mountains to cover the bare areas).

The stencil covering the dark blue background/sky and the bottom painted black.

Sky and mountains:

Hanging it on an old wall to continue the experimenting:

The tops are painted. It's supposed to be more of a moon-glow look. If I get serious about this then I'll have a real artist do the training.

The same picture with a black light on:

At this point, the test was finished and I was about to take the paper down, but my kids wanted me to put some stars in the sky. So... I did:

Then, the same picture in the dark

I would love some feedback!!! But, first, realize that I'm not an artist, so if you have feedback on how badly I painted... that'll be a given. I'll still listen to it, however. But, I'd love feedback on things that pop into your mind of maybe other ideas (Cityscape, mountain tops with trees, etc.), paint colors, or whatever. There has been nothing officially designed yet and sent to the Laser-Cutter-Guy, so all ideas are welcome.

Oh, and I just free-handed a mountainscape on 36" wide kraft paper that I got at Lowe's.

Jeff
bigbadbob and pkinneb like this.

Last edited by NightSkyMurals; 10-28-2019 at 03:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 72 Old 11-05-2019, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Still on the fence about whether or not you want to paint a star ceiling in your theater or bedroom? Go for it! Here's a fun video that my son made with his friends.

You don't need a professional to paint it for you... you can actually do it on your own and I'd be happy to offer any suggestions if you decide to go for it.

ryudoadema and pkinneb like this.
post #63 of 72 Old 01-02-2020, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Any Questions? I'd love to answer them.

QUESTIONS NEEDED!!! Please help!!

With a little time before my next painting trip, I’d like to record some more video answers to questions that people have about the star murals, whether I am going to paint it for them, or for those wanting to paint their own ceiling.

I’d love to get any questions that you might have, if you are planning on having one painted, or you are wanting to paint one yourself. I’d love to try and answer them for you.

Even if you’ve had a star mural painted already, or you painted it yourself… what questions do you wish you would have gotten answered before you had it painted, or before you painted it?

I’ve recently posted some of the more recent answers on my website and on my YouTube channel, but I’d like to cover as many questions as possible. My problem is that I’ve done this for so long that I tend to forget simple questions that people might have. I’d like to address as many as possible.

Thanks to those of you who have, and are, willing to help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 72 Old 03-24-2020, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Sharing a picture a customer just sent me.

If you are quarantined and need a project to keep you busy... I'm happy to offer advice.

tortelvis and lmidgitd like this.
post #65 of 72 Old 03-26-2020, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Another picture of a star ceiling. Trying to entice some of you to go for it and paint one. They are really fun to sit under! Since the customer's soffit sides came down a ways (I believe 15-18 inches) we brought the stars down the sides too. It wasn't necessary, but he had me tape off areas between the top and soffit sides to create a framed glass ceiling look. I also taped off each corner and the middle of the soffit sides too. It's supposed to create the look of windows. Then there's the frozen shooting star and crescent moon. There's a little bit of the Milky Way that's visible also. The off-color light in the far right corner is a smoke detector.

bigbadbob and pkinneb like this.
post #66 of 72 Old 03-31-2020, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightSkyMurals View Post
Thanks for commenting!

Did you angle your lights out and into the center of the room, like on a 45 degree angle? If you are down 12", unless your ceiling is huge, you should get some good light out toward the center. Also, have you found that during the first 10 minutes +/- that the edges are supercharged and the center looks like it didn't get much light... but then after those first 10 +/- minutes, the ceiling all blends together and looks even? That's what I hear a lot, and why I've been looking into different lights that can be used to hit the center. pkinneb, who also replied to your post, bought a light from me ( I had to dump it before heading up to Canada)... and is doing something that I can't wait to see (as he mentioned).

I ordered 8-9 floodlights (both 365nm and 395nm) to test out. They should be arriving on Tuesday. I also ordered some strip lights (also 365nm) to see if they work as well as the lights I refer people to. If so, then they will be awesome and less expensive. Write to me next Wednesday and I'll let you know if the lights worked and we can talk about something that might work for you. I have a few ideas.

But, for now, here are some things to think about doing if you haven't already...

First, got your lights on an angle to shoot the light out into the room.

As you can see, I have the LED lights to charge my paint... and also some rope lights that I can have one at other times.

Then, I had another customer put actual strip lights into the riser trim. That's another option.

About the Milky Way... did I send you the instructions on how to paint it? I'm still working on my son to put the RAW video of me painting the MW into a shorter, instructional video... but getting him to work for "Dad" isn't always easy. So, for now I have the instructions that might help. But, I totally understand your hesitation. I was painting the night sky for about 4 years before I had a customer talk me into painting a MW for him. It wasn't easy because, like you, I didn't want to mess up what had taken me hours to paint. But, since painting that first MW... I don't think that I've painted a mural without it. And, it's one of the things taht everyone talks about. So... I'd go for it.

Good luck.
Did you ever finish testing the new strip lights you mentioned? I'm getting ready to buy LED strip lights to put within the crown molding in my theater and would like to hear your latest advice.
post #67 of 72 Old 03-31-2020, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Quoted: 946 Post(s)
Liked: 1796
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightSkyMurals View Post
Sharing a picture a customer just sent me.

If you are quarantined and need a project to keep you busy... I'm happy to offer advice.

Wow that looks amazing

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
bigbadbob likes this.
post #68 of 72 Old 03-31-2020, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitechee View Post
Did you ever finish testing the new strip lights you mentioned? I'm getting ready to buy LED strip lights to put within the crown molding in my theater and would like to hear your latest advice.
I did try them out. The floodlights I tried out didn't impress me (except for the 395nm), but you can pretty much get them for the same price on Amazon (with quicker delivery) so by me getting some wouldn't help anyone out.

The strip lights, however, were great lights. I can get them for customers for around $165 per 5-meter roll. The other two companies that had lights that I was referring people to sold them for $265/5-meter roll and $195/5-meter roll. I bought a few rolls of the strip lights and Drivers in case someone wants to get some for a little less than the other options.

but anyway, yes, the LED UV Black Light strips turned out to be great lights. Too bad the floodlights didn't turn out to be any good. But, one of the places I refer people to has a 20W 365nm Floodlight that is amazing!!! I've taken it with me on a couple painting trips around the country. It worked well. It's $165 per light (which is why I was trying to find one overseas... and may try again)... but it's a great light.

Sorry that I never updated that original post. I'd totally forgotten about it.
post #69 of 72 Old 04-30-2020, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

How to paint a simple mountainscape & night sky on a wall

A while back I posted some pictures of some mountain that I was playing around with. I painted for a customer in Canada who had a large home theater... and who had painted the most incredible mountainscape around his room. It was sooooo nice! Anyway, I know that this isn't for everyone... but for some, it might be, so I wanted to post a new video that I put together for a handful of people who asked me for one. Some actually wanted me to make another stencil... but this is just too easy to do on your own.

I had a DIY customer get in touch with me as I was just about to start doing a tutorial video. We talked about some options and then painted their wall as I was making my video. It turned out way better than mine did, but that's fine. So, you can go basic like mine, or get more intricate. They got their kids involved and had a great time.

They'd originally purchased my DIY kit to just add stars to their "night sky " wall. They were going to use white paint and only have their night sky wall visible in the light. I suggested that they paint the stars first with the white and then add glow paint on top of those stars after the white paint dried. They loved that idea. Then I suggested that they use the DIY kit on the ceiling too, but only with the glow paint up there. That way, in the light they'd see the wall mountainscape. Then, in the dark they'd see the silhouette of the mountains, from the glowing stars... and then the night sky would extend up and onto the ceiling. They did that and love it.

Here's a picture after they put in the night sky and before they painted the mountains black.

Then after the painted the mountain. Since this is a multi-purpose room for their younger kids... they used Chalk Board paint for the mountains:

Then, instead of using permanent paint for the mountains... they used chalk to fill in the mountains. I LOVE what they did!!
IMG_5789-preview by Jeff, on Flickr

And here's a look of the wall after it was finished. They never sent a picture with the wall and ceiling glowing. Maybe later.

And, as embarrassing as it is to show my picture, after showing theirs... here's the one that I did in the tutorial video. If y'all want to do something similar... go ahead and watch the video (if you want) and then do your mountains however you'd like.

And, for anyone who is thinking about doing a mountain wall... here's a video that you can watch to show you how easy it is to do:

Jedi940 likes this.
post #70 of 72 Old 05-01-2020, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Excellent video. I love the look of that wall. I noticed the video was unlisted though so I have bookmarked it so I can find it again later. Thanks for taking the time to make it.
post #71 of 72 Old 05-01-2020, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hey Jedi940... Thanks for the comment. Yeah, I know it's Unlisted. I have a few of my tutorial videos that way... but I may (probably should) make it more visible. You've got me thinking.

Anyway, I hope you paint one. I know that mine is way more simple than the other pictures I posted from some customers... but I still like looking at it.

Good luck!

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi940 View Post
Excellent video. I love the look of that wall. I noticed the video was unlisted though so I have bookmarked it so I can find it again later. Thanks for taking the time to make it.
post #72 of 72 Old 05-18-2020, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I've changed the setting to "Public" now. Sorry about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi940 View Post
Jedi940 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page