166Likes

post #61 of 177 Old 08-04-2018, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter
sor
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Actually those side columns are right in the 22°-30° range for the left and right speakers. I’m still fine tuning though, they could potentially go behind the screen if I stay closer to 22°.

Lakeview Cinema build thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 177 Old 08-08-2018, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
sor
Advanced Member

GoM samples, trying to nail down colors. I think I will go with the Deep Water, but the Quadrille fabric is really cool. Nice texture.
DavidK442 and Oklahomie like this.

post #63 of 177 Old 11-02-2018, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
sor
Advanced Member

Lakeview Cinema

The finish carpenter I hired to do the rest of my basement left behind a bunch of material. I was just about to put it up for sale when I noticed something: it’s native 1” thick material. I’ve been looking for something like this for awhile. It should be perfect for framing out acoustic panels on the wall for 1” and 2” OC. I consider this a big score. I may not quite have as much I need but at least I know what I’m looking for at the millworks.

Since it’s true 1” x 6” material I may rip it lengthwise to make it go farther.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 177 Old 01-07-2019, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
sor
Advanced Member

My finish carpenter took back the 1” material, which is fine. If I need it I know where to get it.

I actually came across a game changer today. For some reason I never realized that OC 703 comes in 1.5”! I’ve spent so much time thinking about how to cleanly frame/fur out 1” or 2” sound panels when nearly all the easy to get furring materials are on half inch finished sizes, and it’s not even necessary.

The Owens Corning docs don’t indicate an NRC for the 1.5”, only the 1” and 2”, but surely it lies somewhere in between. That might actually be the reason why it’s not on anyone’s radar, but my local insulation supplier mentioned it.

post #65 of 177 Old 01-08-2019, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
sor
Advanced Member

Picked up some of the good stuff today. Really wish I would have known this size existed earlier.
Oklahomie likes this.

post #66 of 177 Old 01-08-2019, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 174 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked: 1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
GoM samples, trying to nail down colors. I think I will go with the Deep Water, but the Quadrille fabric is really cool. Nice texture.
I like the deepwater sample it's a color I haven't seen done yet

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #67 of 177 Old 01-08-2019, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 882
Quote:

Before reading the text and just looking at colors, I really like the two colors you have there. I’d say they would pair well together if you decided to use one as an accent color. Independently of each other, I also think they both look very sharp.

Aaron H.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aaron H.
post #68 of 177 Old 01-08-2019, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 882
Quote:
Picked up some of the good stuff today. Really wish I would have known this size existed earlier.

Where did you pick this up from?

Aaron H.

Aaron H.
post #69 of 177 Old 01-08-2019, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
sor
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahomie View Post
Where did you pick this up from?

Aaron H.

Place called MacArthur, they have locations across the US: http://www.macarthurco.com

I’m sure there are others who carry it.

They had both the Owens Corning and Johns Manville equivalent in 1”, 1.5”, and 2”. Sold by the case, JM had twelve 1.5” per case and OC was sixteen pieces per case.

post #70 of 177 Old 10-27-2019, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
sor
Advanced Member

Lakeview Cinema

So I spent the whole spring with finishing touches on the rest of the basement, then had a busy summer with vacations, etc. now it’s back to the theater, and maybe I can focus a bit more before ski season. Always something going on!

Here’s a shot of the bath I tiled while putting off the theater.

I ordered 2x3s for soffit and sound absorption frames, spent the day tracing lasers for column, soffit, and trim placement.

I’m rethinking the colors and some other minor parts of the look. I’d like something a bit warmer.

post #71 of 177 Old 10-28-2019, 05:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 931
Superb work on the bathroom!
tjambro, sor and Luddy111dog like this.
post #72 of 177 Old 12-28-2019, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
sor
Advanced Member

Lakeview Cinema

Taking advantage of the holiday vacation to get some of the trim and soffit rough work done!

I’m gluing and screwing every board. I ran out of polyurethane glue, need to go get some more before continuing.

I really like this Huepar 360° x three way laser level kit. I was a bit nervous because it was half the price or the Bosch, but so far it has been great, I’ve been able to trace out the soffit position across the whole ceiling and get square down to 1/8”, and account for any imperfections in the drywall finishing. Inside soffit dimensions are 164.5” x 251.75”

impreza276 and pkinneb like this.

Last edited by sor; 12-28-2019 at 12:27 PM.
post #73 of 177 Old 12-29-2019, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Nice update, Sor. Glad to see some progress on this build. I think a laser level is definitely a tool worth having to build soffits and hang framing.

Where did you find that pole you are using with the level? That looks like a great accessory for the laser.

Thanks,

-James
post #74 of 177 Old 12-29-2019, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
sor
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlemoine2 View Post
Nice update, Sor. Glad to see some progress on this build. I think a laser level is definitely a tool worth having to build soffits and hang framing.

Where did you find that pole you are using with the level? That looks like a great accessory for the laser.

Thanks,

-James

It has a screw attachment with the platform to hold many different types of devices, and a gear based fine adjustment, and tripod.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07Q49KHDN

post #75 of 177 Old 01-18-2020, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter
sor
Advanced Member

Slowly but surely, making progress on the soffits. I’ve done soffits to block in HVAC for drywall where you just throw it up and you can work quickly, but it takes a lot longer when you actually work to align the edge to a laser and make sure it hangs perpendicular. I want to trim it nicely with wood so I want it to be as true as possible.

I also taped out the screen border to ensure I know what size screen I want. It will be flanked by cabinets so I need to plan ahead. Still not sure if I will do a DIY or buy a screen, but this is helping the decision process.

post #76 of 177 Old 01-19-2020, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
sor
Advanced Member

Lakeview Cinema

I was just jotting down a list of “to do” items on the theater today, trying to plan next steps:

Finish soffits
Electrical rough-in for sconces
Stone work
Sound panels
Carpentry/cabinetry/woodwork
Finish electrical (light fixtures)
Finish ductwork
Countertop
Carpet
Screen
Seating
Audio/equipment installation
Projector installation
Calibration
Enjoy

I intend for the soffits to be open/accessible underneath, so I can access ducts/wiring and also install bass traps in the corners as needed. This is why duct work is so far down the list - this involves ventilation for the projector, ducting for the mini split, and finishing off the external/makeup air.

I’ve got some exciting ideas for the screen, which came to me only after actually considering buying a lightly used demo screen ($17k! Down from $45k!) and deciding I’d rather put the money elsewhere. Necessity is the mother of invention, as they say. Will share more as things materialize, but it’s all I can think about, super excited and it’s going to be rough waiting to get through this list in order to work on it.
Lynkage likes this.

Last edited by sor; 01-19-2020 at 06:40 PM.
post #77 of 177 Old 01-26-2020, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter
sor
Advanced Member

Lakeview Cinema

I’ve slowly been evolving my thinking around the decor/design of the theater. For a long time I’ve wanted to incorporate some stone elements mixed with wood, not in a rustic way but in a downtown well-appointed building way. These are some of the photos I saved just to get me thinking:

When we were looking at flooring for the rest of the basement, we came across a tile that I fell in love with, but ultimately wasn’t what we used for the floor. It was a matte medium grey marble that had a slight taupe warm ness to it, and veining reminiscent of wood. I decided awhile back that I wanted to put it up high on the wall behind the sconces, well above ear height where it can keep the room from feeling totally dead while being well out of the first reflection areas.

I had planned on doing a traditional shaker/craftsman style wood trim for columns and the soffits, but as I began to look for examples of where this tile is used I found a lot of modern design and a series of lightbulbs went off. Here are some key photos I came across:

Some key takeaways: I like how the speakers are exposed, thinking about modeling the columns roughly similar with a vertical black stripe. The corrugated vertical wood could be incorporated as diffusion for first reflections. I can keep the soffits simple and plain, maybe do a black ceiling with LED bar lights. The brown carpet in that hall above might make for a good theater carpet. In the end the theater may end up looking like it was build by my two friends Bang and Olufsen, but for once I have a clear picture of something in my head that I’m excited to build.

Anyway, I did manage to get some tile up this weekend. The light fixtures are obviously placeholders just so we can have light in the room for now. I was really happy with how easy it turned out to use the hole saw, quick and effective.

post #78 of 177 Old 01-27-2020, 05:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Beautiful tile! The wood and stone work in the inspiration pics look great. However keep in mind that hard reflective surfaces are the bane of good acoustics. You could strategically use wood and tile accents for show, but it would be wise to avoid covering critical areas with them. It is not a trivial difference, I was shocked how significantly treatments altered and improved the performance of my speakers. It was like listening to a completely different, and much higher end system.
sor likes this.

Last edited by impreza276; 01-28-2020 at 10:16 AM.
post #79 of 177 Old 01-27-2020, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
sor
Advanced Member

Lakeview Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by impreza276 View Post
Beautiful tile! The wood and stone work in the inspiration pics look great. However keep in mind that hard reflective surfaces are the bain of good acoustics. You could strategically use wood and tile accents for show, but it would be wise to avoid covering critical areas with them. It is not a trivial difference, I was shocked how significantly treatments altered and improved the performance of my speakers. It was like listening to a completely different, and much higher end system.

Very true.

Last theater I did, I went overboard and covered all walls with OC703. That room was dead, dead, dead and it was a mistake. This time, I will only have about 60% of the surface be absorption, another 10% or so diffusion, and as mentioned this tile is 3-4 feet above the ear and first reflections. I am hoping just a few hard surfaces will keep the room alive just enough to not feel like an anechoic chamber.
impreza276 and impreza276 like this.

post #80 of 177 Old 01-27-2020, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Very true.

Last theater I did, I went overboard and covered all walls with OC703. That room was dead, dead, dead and it was a mistake. This time, I will only have about 60% of the surface be absorption, another 10% or so diffusion, and as mentioned this tile is 3-4 feet above the ear and first reflections. I am hoping just a few hard surfaces will keep the room alive just enough to not feel like an anechoic chamber.
Sounds like you've already thought it through thoroughly. For my room I am trying to follow the guidelines of the professionally designed theater treatment plans, especially the description of one of them made by BIG. I wish I could install decently thick carpet flooring in mine (I can't).

Last edited by impreza276; 01-27-2020 at 12:39 PM.
post #81 of 177 Old 01-27-2020, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
sor
Advanced Member

Lakeview Cinema

Quote:
Sounds like you've already thought it through thoroughly. For my room I am trying to follow the guidelines of the professionally designed theater treatment plans, especially the description of one of them made by BIG. I wish I could install decently thick carpet in mine (I can't).

I’d be interested in reviewing those as well, just to see how they match up with what I’ve read up on over the years and where I can make last minute tweaks if needed.

post #82 of 177 Old 01-27-2020, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just in case you haven't come across it here is the post: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...l#post56307184
post #83 of 177 Old 01-27-2020, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
sor
Advanced Member

Quote:
Just in case you haven't come across it here is the post: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...l#post56307184

Thanks. This is pretty much what I’m planning, the first row has fiberglass up to 8’ high and the others up past ear height. I’ll read more of that conversation though to see where it goes.
impreza276 likes this.

post #84 of 177 Old 01-28-2020, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
sor
Advanced Member

I got screen samples today from Seymour. I am a bit surprised just how coarse and stiff the XD is. I don’t have a projector to test the samples with but in daylight I can make out the grain @15ft.

I also got samples of a different kind of screen... for potential cabinet doors/speaker grills. I’m going to have a silent media cabinet in the room and it needs to be able to breathe.

Tedd, impreza276 and pkinneb like this.

post #85 of 177 Old 01-28-2020, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 1445
Definitely try with a projector if you can. I was so impressed with the XD I scraped my Spandex plans. I couldn't see the weave at about 11' and it was noticeably brighter then the Seymour Center Stage or the Spandex. Full disclosure I wear corrective lenses
Lynkage likes this.

My Theater Build - Full Circle Cinema
post #86 of 177 Old 01-28-2020, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
sor
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkinneb View Post
Definitely try with a projector if you can. I was so impressed with the XD I scraped my Spandex plans. I couldn't see the weave at about 11' and it was noticeably brighter then the Seymour Center Stage or the Spandex. Full disclosure I wear corrective lenses

I’ll try to get something set up or find a friend’s theater to hold it up in. I am not too keen on how sheer the UF seems, it’s quite translucent though I’d probably want to opt for the black backing either way. Overall I like the XD material better for just how thick and substantial it seems.
Lynkage and pkinneb like this.

post #87 of 177 Old 01-28-2020, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter
sor
Advanced Member

I had to pull the sconce wires down a bit to center them. I had plenty of slack but I couldn’t reach the wiring through the insulation, which necessitates cutting holes on either side of the stud. These will be tiled over, so no big deal.

I can’t help but feel like I’m being watched now though...

impreza276, Lynkage and pkinneb like this.

post #88 of 177 Old 02-03-2020, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter
sor
Advanced Member

I did some more stone work over the weekend.

I also mocked up some samples of what it might look like finished. Obviously these are rough and will look a lot better with dynamic lighting. Also, the soffits are totally removed from the graphic.

The modern look leverages exposed speakers and diffusers while having relatively simple, clean slab wood.

The craftsman/traditional hides speakers behind dark grey/brown fabric.

Not locked into either one yet but I want to have it down before I proceed to woodwork.
Lynkage likes this.

post #89 of 177 Old 02-03-2020, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter
sor
Advanced Member

Lakeview Cinema

I played a bit with lighting and scene rendering this evening. It didn’t turn out perfectly but I think it helps. You’ll just have to imagine sconces, I added the light point but no fixture.

Which one?

impreza276 likes this.

Last edited by sor; 02-03-2020 at 08:50 PM.
post #90 of 177 Old 02-17-2020, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter
sor
Advanced Member

OH YEAH, y’all know what this means.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction