post #91 of 175 Old 02-29-2020, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter
sor
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Lakeview Cinema

Just a quick update, I’ve placed the fiberglass panels for most of the lower sound panels, blocked out the area in front where the diffusers will be, and began wiring soffits for lighting. I’ve also cut and wired the ceiling for the pendants over the bar and sound absorption clouds that will also house some lighting.

I’ve also finalized the fabric for the sound panel areas- I’m going with GoM Anchorage in color “fossil”. I’ve also pulled a few carpet samples and some wood stains to get a feel for what will go together and ensure the fabric I ordered generally works with the options I have.

Finally, I drew up some of the components so I have specifics to work from.

So many little things to do! My goal is to take care of the more messy/dusty stuff this week (I need to grind tile in one spot and clean some excess mortar from walls, I want to fiberglass the vestibule ceiling and install a light, there are two small drywall patches and a little bit of wiring left), clean the room, and then paint the ceiling black maybe next weekend.

Lakeview Cinema build thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 175 Old 03-01-2020, 07:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Coming along nicely, Sor! You've put a lot of thought into your column design. I'm looking forward to seeing how they turn-out.

Is that tile on the upper half of the walls in the hallway leading to the theater? Are you planning a door in that entry to the room?

-James
post #93 of 175 Old 03-01-2020, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
sor
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlemoine2 View Post
Coming along nicely, Sor! You've put a lot of thought into your column design. I'm looking forward to seeing how they turn-out.

Is that tile on the upper half of the walls in the hallway leading to the theater? Are you planning a door in that entry to the room?

-James

Thanks! It’s been a long time coming but I’m finally making steady progress.

The hallway will have a set of double doors on either end.

Yes, the upper sections of the wall are a honed marble. I’m sure there are people on the forum who think that’s crazy, but in all it’s about 10% of the surface area of the room and well above ear level, so I’m hoping it won’t cause any problems acoustically. In my last theater I went wild and covered the walls floor to ceiling with absorption and it was too much, the room was so dead. This time I’m just focusing on first reflections and will also add some diffusion into the mix.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 175 Old 03-04-2020, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter
sor
Advanced Member

Lakeview Cinema

Working on ducts now for the projector box. I found some small filter boxes that are perfect to keep the air clean in the filter box. The air comes in from the corner, through the filter, mixed in the projector box (there will be a partial divider in the box to separate the air intake/outlet), then pulled out via a duct fan and pumped across the room. This side is actually a booster fan for the register duct that removes air from the room.

I hung the fan with bungee, about an inch off the ceiling... it’s difficult to see.

I’m a fan of the black ac infinity accordion duct. It has a nice rubberized plastic coating that makes it feel a tad thicker and damper.

You can see the metal ducts on the right side of the projector box, I’ll do the same over there.

I’m going to put some OC703 into the soffit around this to help mute the sound and the panel on the underside of the soffit will be removable for access. I should be able to keep the fan on the lowest setting... I may not even need to run it if the return register has enough static pressure on its own, but it’s there if I need it.

tjambro, OJ Bartley and pkinneb like this.

Last edited by sor; 03-04-2020 at 07:59 PM.
post #95 of 175 Old 03-07-2020, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter
sor
Advanced Member

Lakeview Cinema

I did a major cleaning job today, decluttered, swept, vacuumed, in an attempt to minimize dust for the painting and fabric install.

I painted what will be exposed on the front wall. Tricorn black. I had help from the kids, I’m not sure it is obvious which part of the wall they did:

Oh well, it all looks the same once the first layer of linacoustic goes up. That white outlet on the right will have a black cover eventually. You can also see that I installed cleats for the screen and painted those black. I used a laser level parallel to the screen wall to ensure they were all flush and perpendicular to the center of the room.

I also did a quick staple job on some fabric so I could test carpet samples before I have to return them.

tjambro, impreza276 and pkinneb like this.

post #96 of 175 Old 03-10-2020, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter
sor
Advanced Member

I started a thread on my theater screen build, here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showt...php?p=59354798
tjambro and pkinneb like this.

post #97 of 175 Old 03-12-2020, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Truly an awesome space to build a theater in. You're making great progress I look forward to seeing it come together.
sor likes this.

Roll Tide.
post #98 of 175 Old 03-15-2020, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter
sor
Advanced Member

Lakeview Cinema

I managed to paint the ceiling this weekend, two coats of Tricorn black. Even with the flat black paint there are some reflections - luckily there shouldn’t be any direct light on the ceiling once the soffits and final fixtures are in.

I began to apply the fabric to the wall panels, but my staple gun broke on panel number 4! The little spring pin that detects if the staple gun is pressed against something lost its spring and the gun rattles. It is possible I could fix it, but I didn’t really like it anyway, it rarely shoots the staples straight and fully in.

Last edited by sor; 03-15-2020 at 05:11 PM.
post #99 of 175 Old 03-15-2020, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
sor
Advanced Member

Short demo of the screen mask linked above:

post #100 of 175 Old 03-19-2020, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Man! I really love this build so far. I am planning a lot of similar things in my build. So, on the mini-spilt you did. Did you install it or did you contract that out? The reason I ask is that I am planning on a ducted mini-split just like yours. I am also planning on using Fujitsu as you did. What size did you end up using? I am planning on a 12,000 btu and my room will be 16 x 23.5 x 10.

On another note, you have convinced me to do my own screen and masking system. Your research and videos are absolutely awesome for this type of thing. I can't thank you enough because a pre-built masking system was just out of reach for me, but now....not so much. This is totally doable. Thank you.

But back to the mini-split...if you had it installed would you be so kind to let me know the cost? The quotes that I am receiving are waaayy more than I expected, so I am contemplating doing it myself. Keep up the good work on your room and the screen build.
tjambro and sor like this.
post #101 of 175 Old 03-19-2020, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
sor
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicco View Post
Man! I really love this build so far. I am planning a lot of similar things in my build. So, on the mini-spilt you did. Did you install it or did you contract that out? The reason I ask is that I am planning on a ducted mini-split just like yours. I am also planning on using Fujitsu as you did. What size did you end up using? I am planning on a 12,000 btu and my room will be 16 x 23.5 x 10.

On another note, you have convinced me to do my own screen and masking system. Your research and videos are absolutely awesome for this type of thing. I can't thank you enough because a pre-built masking system was just out of reach for me, but now....not so much. This is totally doable. Thank you.

But back to the mini-split...if you had it installed would you be so kind to let me know the cost? The quotes that I am receiving are waaayy more than I expected, so I am contemplating doing it myself. Keep up the good work on your room and the screen build.

Thanks for the kind words.

I did the electrical and physical install of the minisplit. Yes, it is a 12k unit. On the lowest setting, in the open as it is now, it is barely audible, but it can ramp up a bit so I’m trying to duct the intake to muffle it a bit as you can see in the later photos. In a perfect world it would be in another room, but we work with what we have.

I paid about $500 for a local company to come and properly vacuum the lines and test them. I read a lot about the various ways to DIY and I decided I wanted it to be good and right. That meant spending a few hundred on the proper tools that I’d likely only use once, or spending a bit more and having an HVAC maintenance company do it. In my array the HVAC companies that do maintenance do not do new installs, and vice versa. I got a bid for $1200 to do the whole thing from scratch, so I saved a bit by hanging the unit and running the cabling myself.

post #102 of 175 Old 03-19-2020, 02:56 PM

So, you bought the unit yourself and did the install yourself. Correct? I have gotten quotes from $5900 to $11,000 to do this. These quotes were for the price of the unit and all the labor to install and run some ducting. If I ask, where did you purchase the Fujitsu? Online, I assume? So, all in, how much do you in the unit? $500 for evacuating the lines and how much for the cost of the units? It just doesn't seem that hard to do, so curious as to what you think since you have done it. Would you do it again or pay someone to do the whole thing?
post #103 of 175 Old 03-19-2020, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter
sor
Advanced Member

Quote:
So, you bought the unit yourself and did the install yourself. Correct? I have gotten quotes from $5900 to $11,000 to do this. These quotes were for the price of the unit and all the labor to install and run some ducting. If I ask, where did you purchase the Fujitsu? Online, I assume? So, all in, how much do you in the unit? $500 for evacuating the lines and how much for the cost of the units? It just doesn't seem that hard to do, so curious as to what you think since you have done it. Would you do it again or pay someone to do the whole thing?

I paid $690 for the ARU12RLF air handler and $990 for the AOU12RLFC condenser unit. Another $100 for fittings... from ACWholesalers. Then I installed myself and obviously did ducting myself. Then I called a plumbing/HVAC maintenance company to vacuum install the lines.

I wouldn’t have expected more than ~$3k for a company to both sell you the unit and install it. That was about what my bids were.

post #104 of 175 Old 03-19-2020, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Lakeview Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
I paid $690 for the ARU12RLF air handler and $990 for the AOU12RLFC condenser unit. Another $100 for fittings... from ACWholesalers. Then I installed myself and obviously did ducting myself. Then I called a plumbing/HVAC maintenance company to vacuum install the lines.

I wouldn’t have expected more than ~$3k for a company to both sell you the unit and install it. That was about what my bids were.

@nicco I just paid $2950-$3000 for a unit in one of my rental properties a couple months ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
sor likes this.
post #105 of 175 Old 03-20-2020, 06:21 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 286
FWIW, I just had 2 24k BTU ductless mini splits installed for $6,800.
Rjloper9 likes this.
post #106 of 175 Old 03-20-2020, 09:21 AM

Thanks guys.

I just think $6000 to install one ducted mini-split 12,000 btu unit is just insane. I can buy the ARU12RLF air handler and the AOU12RLFC condenser unit and all the accessories needed for about $2300. So I guess I am going to pull the trigger, do it myself and save about $3700.

Sor,

My air handler will be mounted outside the theater room and all I need to do is to run some minimal ducting into the room so I am hoping that I will not have any sound issue at all.

Thanks everyone for the input.
post #107 of 175 Old 03-20-2020, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 286
This was 2 units in 2 rooms installed and started up.
post #108 of 175 Old 03-22-2020, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
sor
Advanced Member

As I finish up the fabric install, I’m wondering if I should go to the trouble of applying Scotchgard to ward off any staining.

post #109 of 175 Old 03-22-2020, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 745 Post(s)
Liked: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
As I finish up the fabric install, I’m wondering if I should go to the trouble of applying Scotchgard to ward off any staining.
Maybe watch Dark Waters before you make that decision.
tjambro likes this.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #110 of 175 Old 04-06-2020, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter
sor
Advanced Member

Lakeview Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
Maybe watch Dark Waters before you make that decision.

Is that about the lawsuit that made them reformulate twenty years ago?

Last edited by sor; 04-06-2020 at 04:41 PM.
post #111 of 175 Old 04-06-2020, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter
sor
Advanced Member

Lakeview Cinema

I finally chose a sconce. It’s getting difficult to find sconces these days, everything is going LED and won’t really dim reliably below 5-10%. Combine that with trying to find something minimalist that won’t cast direct light into the room and it is slim pickings.

I settled on a housing that came with a G9 LED bulb and swapped out for a halogen. I really want that smooth dimming to black.

Having this soft light in the room is really starting to add some ambiance to the room and makes it begin to feel like a peaceful retreat. I’ve only done half the room so far, but it also makes the ceiling all the more black.

I also got the first images of the columns I designed, being built by a local carpenter.

Last edited by sor; 04-06-2020 at 04:42 PM.
post #112 of 175 Old 04-06-2020, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Subbed, great progress!
post #113 of 175 Old 04-06-2020, 07:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 1440
I really like those and if you want them on during a movie you definitely want something dimable to less then 10%. My soffit bulbs go down to about 10% but its still way to bright for a movie. We typically leave the ceiling black LED lights and step lights on those are halogen and dim down really nice. That room is going to be awesome I really like the design you have going there.
sor likes this.

My Theater Build - Full Circle Cinema
post #114 of 175 Old 04-24-2020, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter
sor
Advanced Member

Columns are in the house.

post #115 of 175 Old 04-24-2020, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 1440
Wow those turned out really nice!!

My Theater Build - Full Circle Cinema
post #116 of 175 Old 04-24-2020, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter
sor
Advanced Member

Thanks! Progress has been slow but it’s beginning to come together. Can’t wait to see it all installed.
pkinneb likes this.

post #117 of 175 Old 04-25-2020, 03:22 PM

I second that comment. WOW! I love your design for the columns. Keep plugging away. You are going to have a great theater when you are through. I also wanted to say I really like your design choice of using tile on the upper half of the walls. Very unique. Been thinking about doing something similar as we want something different, but we haven't made up our minds yet as to exactly how we plan on finishing ours yet.

Also, I went ahead and bought the Fujitsu Mini-Split. Installed the interior air-handler so far. Thanks for all your input on that and everyone else that chimed in. Thanks.

I need to probably start my own build thread soon.

Can't wait to see your room be completed. Keep up the fine work.
sor likes this.
post #118 of 175 Old 04-25-2020, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
sor
Advanced Member

Quote:
I second that comment. WOW! I love your design for the columns. Keep plugging away. You are going to have a great theater when you are through. I also wanted to say I really like your design choice of using tile on the upper half of the walls. Very unique. Been thinking about doing something similar as we want something different, but we haven't made up our minds yet as to exactly how we plan on finishing ours yet.

Also, I went ahead and bought the Fujitsu Mini-Split. Installed the interior air-handler so far. Thanks for all your input on that and everyone else that chimed in. Thanks.

I need to probably start my own build thread soon.

Can't wait to see your room be completed. Keep up the fine work.

Glad to hear you’re making progress. We need to see your thread!

post #119 of 175 Old 05-02-2020, 06:14 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 5765 Post(s)
Liked: 4873
Wow! Just wow!

So jealous of the space you started with - a concrete bunker. And I love your design elements and so many of the clever things you did (particularity the "hush box" and attendant air flow system).

And I am very impressed with your patience that you have taken so much time to (almost) get to the finish line and do it so well.

I don't recall reading the final equipment list but I'm sure whatever you selected, it will be a fun place to watch movies.

Very, very nice!!

Great job!!
post #120 of 175 Old 05-02-2020, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
sor
Advanced Member

Lakeview Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Wow! Just wow!

So jealous of the space you started with - a concrete bunker. And I love your design elements and so many of the clever things you did (particularity the "hush box" and attendant air flow system).

And I am very impressed with your patience that you have taken so much time to (almost) get to the finish line and do it so well.

I don't recall reading the final equipment list but I'm sure whatever you selected, it will be a fun place to watch movies.

Very, very nice!!

Great job!!

Thanks a lot. Things aren’t perfect, by any means, but I’m optimistic that the result will be good.

I haven’t finalized all of the equipment, so far I have a full array of Paradigm elite speakers on the way, 9 surrounds and 4 ceiling. For amplification I have 1x MCA325, 2xMCA525, and an M1 coming to drive 4x Fi IB315v2. The amps are pricey but I want to go all fanless.

I have an old Denon 3310ci that I may use in the short term, I feel like we may be on the cusp of new equipment coming with the release of HDMI 2.1, so maybe I’ll try to wait until January. Otherwise the go-to 13 channel prepro is of course the Marantz 8805.

Still waiting on the projector too, we will see what the fall brings.

I’ve been busy today putting insulation in the columns before they get installed. In the corners I’m putting it on the wall since they’re not really boxy enough to hold in the insulation.

I used some plastic paneling to fashion makeshift washers to screw the insulation into the corners. This plastic is actually the material used on the bases of skis, I had some scraps. The R30 insulation makes a nice fan out effect when you pinch it into the corner!

tjambro, hd0823, jlemoine2 and 1 others like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page