post #151 of 177 Old 05-16-2020, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
My local dealer just told me that Palliser is coming out with an app, and they have a Bluetooth module add on for their seats to allow app level control and integration with automation. On the one hand it sounds silly when the controls are right at the armrest, but then again I can see it handy to sync the lights on all of the chairs or fold them all up after a movie, rather than going around to each chair.
That is totally silly....wait I NEED this. Lol

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
A.T.M. and cjacobs like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 177 Old 05-17-2020, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjambro View Post
That is totally silly....wait I NEED this. Lol

I was telling my family about this feature and they said “that seems stupid and unnecessary, so you’ll probably get it”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
DigiWega and tjambro like this.

My Build - The "CRAVE" Theatre
Custom Home Automation - RaspberryPI Harmony Hacker
post #153 of 177 Old 05-17-2020, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjacobs View Post
I was telling my family about this feature and they said “that seems stupid and unnecessary, so you’ll probably get it”

They just know somehow don't they? Lol

cjacobs likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 177 Old 05-17-2020, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjambro View Post
They just know somehow don't they? Lol

There might be a bit of history for them to extrapolate from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tjambro likes this.

post #155 of 177 Old 05-18-2020, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
sor
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Lakeview Cinema

Always fun to get new toys!

I started out just looking for a rack mount power distributor, then of course I get to looking at the high end surge suppressors and end up buying power conditioners- the Furman Elite 20-PFi.

I got these 1/2 price, open box from an authorized dealer, one for each 20A theater circuit (2). Full warranty still applies.

Unlike a power regulator, which would have a big autotransformer, this has large inductors and a capacitor big enough to kill you (they house it in an ABS pipe to insulate it).

I know there’s a fair amount of debate about how much these help. The way I see it, a true 20A PDU with surge suppression on it’s own isn’t terribly cheap. Even if there is limited benefit to line filtration as far as noticeable difference in picture or sound quality, I see it as a reserve capacitor to buffer the amplifiers. These things can provide 55A RMS current for short periods. They look nice and are well built to boot. The power cable is as thick as one of my fingers.

pkinneb likes this.

Lakeview Cinema build thread
post #156 of 177 Old 05-18-2020, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter
sor
Advanced Member

Here’s a good configuration. Now I just need to figure out how to plug the bottom one into the top one...
DigiWega and pkinneb like this.

post #157 of 177 Old 05-20-2020, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
sor
Advanced Member

Lakeview Cinema

Columns are the mission right now. Mostly installed. The rear corners had to be assembled in place since there was no way we were getting them in between the tile and panels in the corners.

Still need the waterfall soffits on the corners.

Last edited by sor; 05-20-2020 at 08:46 PM.
post #158 of 177 Old 05-20-2020, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Just gorgeous! Keep up the good work. Cannot wait to see this completed.
sor likes this.
post #159 of 177 Old 05-20-2020, 08:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 1440
That's really cool how the columns go over and up the soffit! Great theater
sor likes this.

My Theater Build - Full Circle Cinema
post #160 of 177 Old 05-20-2020, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter
sor
Advanced Member

Lakeview Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkinneb View Post
That's really cool how the columns go over and up the soffit! Great theater

Thanks so much. I decided to do it that way when I realized I would not be able to put a solid continuous piece of grain along the face of that soffit and didn’t want to have butt joint seams. The columns water falling will break up those sections into ~58” x 12” pieces. The grain will be perpendicular.
p3bham and pkinneb like this.

post #161 of 177 Old 05-21-2020, 04:19 AM
Advanced Member

Looks great. +1 on the wrapping column!

sor likes this.
post #162 of 177 Old 05-21-2020, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Thanks so much. I decided to do it that way when I realized I would not be able to put a solid continuous piece of grain along the face of that soffit and didn’t want to have butt joint seams. The columns water falling will break up those sections into ~58” x 12” pieces. The grain will be perpendicular.
Beautiful design. Reminds me a bit of a split top Roubo lol. And love the color you picked for the wood - it's rich without being too dark or muddying the grain. This is really going to be an elegant theater when it's done. Excellent work...
sor likes this.

Roll Tide.
post #163 of 177 Old 05-21-2020, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
... I would not be able to put a solid continuous piece of grain along the face of that soffit and didn’t want to have butt joint seams...
Good thinking--great execution.

The furmans look cool too!

Aaron
sor likes this.

All ya need is love, and Hi Fi sound.
Asthetix, Audreal, Arcam FMJ, Musical Fidelity, Harmonix, Marantz, Tannoy, MIT, PS3, Sony Masters, OPPO
post #164 of 177 Old 05-21-2020, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter
sor
Advanced Member

Lakeview Cinema

Initial projector box. Lacking any texture or styling, it just captures the thinking. It’s assuming projectors will have cold intake at the rear and heat out the front.

I haven’t decided how the front door will work, if it will be hinged from the top, split in half somehow with the port attached to one door...

I like the idea of hiding an access panel in the rear corner, to make it easier to reach wiring.

If you look at where it is going to fit you can kind of see the logic with the duct work.

tjambro, NotShorty, A.T.M. and 1 others like this.

post #165 of 177 Old 05-24-2020, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjacobs View Post
They were close. I’d say the soundtracks were a little “softer” than the flicks. But not by a lot. However, no final decision until I compare WAF. She hasn’t seen any of them

Well, pulled the trigger today. Took the wife and kids to the store and we spent a few hours sitting and debating the various configurations and fabrics. She ended up liking the “records” the best for her comfort. I liked them too. So that’s what I ordered. 8 weeks estimated delivery time. Puts some pressure on making progress!

post #166 of 177 Old 05-24-2020, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter
sor
Advanced Member

Congrats. I’ve been debating whether or not I should be doing the same soon. I wonder if they ever have sales.

post #167 of 177 Old 05-24-2020, 09:11 PM

Lakeview Cinema

Most places do. I think they are like every other furniture store in the world where they have a high list price and frequent sales. This place was running a Memorial Day sale. I know the online guys are too. I bought from the local place because

A). They beat the internet price by about $200

B). I read some horror stories on here about the online stores and I like the idea of having a place to go to find a person to deal with any issues

C) pump money into the local economy

post #168 of 177 Old 05-28-2020, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter
sor
Advanced Member

I got an idea to “hard wire” the PDUs by running MC cable direct from the junction box under the cabinets to the PDUs. This way I don’t have to deal with as much cable management, trying to wrangle an extra 8ft thick power cord in the rack.

Maybe the MC will prove to be cumbersome as well, but I think I can cut it to length and install a plug on the end... at least it will save me from having to install a 20A outlet into the cabinet for the PDU.

NotShorty, A.T.M. and pkinneb like this.

post #169 of 177 Old 06-11-2020, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter
sor
Advanced Member

Lakeview Cinema

It’s been awhile, I’ve been working on other projects, like reworking my server rack in the utility room, installing an EV charger...

I made a minuscule amount of progress though and wanted to share. I figured out how I will put the fabric frames on the underside of the soffits. This is so I can put bass traps in the corners.

On the wall side I have “L” brackets pointing outward. On the opposite side I have “L brackets turned inward. The brackets are a kind that are slotted. This way each contact point is height adjustable for a good level and good contact if the frame isn’t perfect.

On the frame I have magnets that are countersunk into a 1x2 frame on one side, and on the other side I have wire staples. The inside corner slides in first and the wire staples hook onto the brackets. Then the opposite side magnetizes to the brackets on their side. It seems pretty sturdy, and I can actually let the frame just hang on the l brackets without the magnets and it doesn’t come down.

I just did this one for now. Being that it is hiding the mini split I’m actually going to install a second solid panel inside to muffle a bit, and to keep it from sucking air up through the fabric and creating a dust trap.

This one is a shot showing the wire staple hooked on the bracket. I may swap the nails out for screws but they seem fine as is.

post #170 of 177 Old 06-11-2020, 08:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Man I love this build awesome work!!

post #171 of 177 Old 06-12-2020, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Man I love this build awesome work!!
+1

All ya need is love, and Hi Fi sound.
Asthetix, Audreal, Arcam FMJ, Musical Fidelity, Harmonix, Marantz, Tannoy, MIT, PS3, Sony Masters, OPPO
post #172 of 177 Old 06-29-2020, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter
sor
Advanced Member

Small changes, not sure it’s worth an update but I’m installing the spot lights and finishing up sconces. I finally retired the LED work bulbs installed in the room.

I ran out of baffles, I have more on order. I’ve also got about $500 in OC705 on the way for the soffits! I will hopefully be motivated this holiday weekend and get it all installed.

post #173 of 177 Old 06-29-2020, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Looks great! I apologize if you have posted before but what is all the conduit in the riser for?

post #174 of 177 Old 06-30-2020, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
sor
Advanced Member

Lakeview Cinema

Quote:
Looks great! I apologize if you have posted before but what is all the conduit in the riser for?

That’s where the bar cabinets are going to go, as well as my 15U racks. I had to spec fanless amplifiers because of this.

This isn’t really a bar though, it will be table height to avoid blocking the rear audio.
pkinneb likes this.

post #175 of 177 Old 07-02-2020, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter
sor
Advanced Member

Lakeview Cinema

I got my final (?) round of sound panels today. I usually pick them up locally, but comparing local cost to online cost + shipping it was about the same. This opened up a few other options as well, and I went with the Knauf version of OC705, which is a cool dark chocolate color! I know Corning makes a black version of OC703 but it costs more than the standard stuff.

I’ve never dealt with the denser panels, they’re interesting because they’re both soft and rigid, and much heavier than you’d think. I got about half of it in my soffits and took some bass measurements.

Way back in January 2018 I had the room framed and the risers in, but it was otherwise a solid concrete bunker. I took a quick REW measurement with a powered Polk sub. No EQ, just the natural room response. A lot of people were saying that it’s impossible to tame bass in a concrete room so I wanted to have something to compare any differences.

Here is the original waterfall. Look at that time scale!

This was today:

I still have twelve 2” x 24” x 48” panels to place, I was going to save some for the ceiling, mixed with diffusion so it’s not quite so reflective. I may yet have to buy another pack!
tjambro and A.T.M. like this.

post #176 of 177 Old 07-03-2020, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
sor
Advanced Member

Lakeview Cinema

Finished bass trapping the soffits. So much paneling! At least it doesn’t need to be wrapped up and look nice.

I’m an amateur at REW, but I think the bass traps are working. These are normalized spectrograms, meaning the peaks at each frequency are adjusted to be equal, so you don’t have to EQ to get an apples to apples comparison at each frequency. I’m not too concerned about actual frequency response right now. I just want to test decay hence I’m using the stand-in powered subwoofer.

I guess this is decent from what I understand. Clearly the untreated room is epically horrible. Peak energies building way after the signal, reflections and decay lasting seconds.

From yesterday, majority of the range decays in the 300-500ms range, still with some major reflections and decay in the 33-40hz upwards of 800ms. Peak energy happening quite late in the lows at 100-200ms but good everywhere else, except maybe ~220hz.

From today, majority of the range decays in the 200-400ms range, with a much tighter drop off. Low 33-40hz drops by 200ms. Peak energy at all frequencies occurs at 50ms or less.

The difference is audible, as well. From yesterday some of those lows felt really resonant and maybe even a bit disturbing, today the bass is much cleaner and just “there”.
tjambro and rmerlano like this.

post #177 of 177 Old Yesterday, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Finished bass trapping the soffits. So much paneling! At least it doesn’t need to be wrapped up and look nice.

I’m an amateur at REW, but I think the bass traps are working. These are normalized spectrograms, meaning the peaks at each frequency are adjusted to be equal, so you don’t have to EQ to get an apples to apples comparison at each frequency. I’m not too concerned about actual frequency response right now. I just want to test decay hence I’m using the stand-in powered subwoofer.

I guess this is decent from what I understand. Clearly the untreated room is epically horrible. Peak energies building way after the signal, reflections and decay lasting seconds.

From yesterday, majority of the range decays in the 300-500ms range, still with some major reflections and decay in the 33-40hz upwards of 800ms. Peak energy happening quite late in the lows at 100-200ms but good everywhere else, except maybe ~220hz.

From today, majority of the range decays in the 200-400ms range, with a much tighter drop off. Low 33-40hz drops by 200ms. Peak energy at all frequencies occurs at 50ms or less.

The difference is audible, as well. From yesterday some of those lows felt really resonant and maybe even a bit disturbing, today the bass is much cleaner and just “there”.
Excellent!
Is good to measure every step in the acoustical treatment process.

Congrats!

Oppo UDP-203 - Receiver Denon X4300H - Projector Optoma UHD65 - Projection Screen Elite Screen Mate White 150" gain 1.1
5 Channels Amplifier Emotiva XPA-5 - NAS Qnap 412 4x3TB Disks.
JBL Synthesis : LS80, LS Central, Subwoofer 1 x HSU VTF-15H MK2 setup for ATMOS 7.2.4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page