Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #1 of 44 Old 02-06-2018, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Amit's basement theater

I have been visiting this site for long time to get some inspiration and courage to start my home theater project. After moving in our house last winter, I was gathering the ideas for starting theater build and was gathering courage to get WAF. First my wife categorized me as a lunatic DIY crazy, but finally got chance to convince her after getting lot of denials. I am DIY enthusiast with some basic skills and basic tools so any ideas or corrections in my work will be highly appreciated. Since my job is very demanding, I will be mostly weekend warrior for this theater build.

My current set up:
Area:
I have a 18’x10’x7’6” (LxWXH) area which is in the deepest corner of my unfinished basement. Two 10’ walls and one 18’ wall is surrounded by foundation all the way to top. Next to this future HT is boiler and AHU. Also there is a water line going from middle of room to exterior faucet. This is on a smaller side for dedicated theater but have a small theater is better than none.
Seating:
I am planning for 5 seat in this theater. Front row will be two recliners . Second row will be on three leather stadium seat (Found on FB market place, bought 4 of them if it fits well I will use 4) a 10” riser.
Current equipment:
Projector: Benq W1070
Screen: Current screen is Silver ticket 100” 16:9 , regular
AV receiver: Pioneer Elite VSX-70
Sound:
Center: Definitive technology 8060CS
Left/ Right: Definitive technology BP-8060ST towers
Surround : definitive technology BP-8040SR
Subwoofer driver: Dayton Audio Ultimax 15” DVC (2 of them, Sub to be built)
Speaker wires: Monoprice 12AWG CL2

Components to be added (WISHLIST):
Screen: 110” acoustic transparent screen (First priority)
Rear subwoofers: micro martycube (10” or 12”)
Ceiling speaker: TBD (will have wires ran for this for future upgrade)
Scope of work:
Framing: DIY
I build a test wall to see if I can ever dream of doing this on my own. The success in this gave me assurance that I can do this. Thanks to youtube.
Insulation: DIY
Electrical: Contractor
Mechanical: DIY
Drywall: DIY
Carpeting: Contract

My current concerns are following:
1. Next to one wall on this theater, there is a gas line running to boiler (approx. 3 inches away from the future wall, is this a concern?
2. In this theater, I do not have space for media components; I will have to build one room underneath stairs to house all media components and run wires to theater components. How can I operate them thru the wall (Actually way behind the theater room). I heard about some IR blasters but have no idea about them.
3. I have accounted 2 feet distance between second row and rear wall and 3 feet distance between AT screen and front wall for housing sub, center and left right speakers. Is this too shallow?
4. I am planning to put DIY acoustic panels on sidewall and rear wall and some DIY bass traps behind the second row. Any suggestions?

Current stage:
02/05/18: Framing started
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	basement.png
Views:	146
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	2357166   Click image for larger version

Name:	Theater.png
Views:	177
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	2357168  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 02-06-2018, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Reserved
post #3 of 44 Old 02-06-2018, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 487
A gas line should not be a concern. They are commonly run inside walls. If there are any shutoff valves or access ports, make sure that they remain accessible.

There are many different brands and models of IR extenders. I've used Xantech brand with great success for many years. I found this diagram on a quick Internet search that gives you a general idea of how they work. There are many different models, but they all work in a similar way. You point your remote at a reciever that picks up the signal, which is converted to an electrical signal that is sent over a wire to a connecting block. The connecting block amplifies the signal and sents it out to emitters that attach over the IR sensors on your equipment. The Emitters are little IR LEDs about the size of your pinky fingernail that emit an IR signal that is esentially the same signal that your remote control transmits.

The distance behind your AT screen depends on your speaker depth. Ideally, the front of the speakers should be about six inches behind the screen fabric. You may not need three feet behind the screen if the speakers are not that deep.

If you are building a riser for your rear seating, you can build it so that it works as a bass trap. Do a search for more information.

You may want to consider moving your left and right speakers farther apart, either by trading places with the subs, or possibly by putting the subs under your left and right speakers.
HunterG likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 Old 02-07-2018, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Dave for your reply. I will look into the transmitter you suggested. Also regarding speaker Layout, I realize I did a sloppy job of presenting the placement. Please see attached front wall layout. I am planning to put sub underneath the left and right channle. Also center channel will be on elevated space to bring closer to the screen.

So far I have done 2 walls and then learn about requirement of installing "Fire blocking". Not too late to learn this.
I felt that I am underprepared but I am not great planner.

Once framing is done for the room, I am applying the permits only for the theater and utility room (Rest basement will do at leisure)

Question for today:
  • what material should i fill in the front stage to avoid subwoofer vibrations in the stage

Current state: 2 walls framed , now out of material (looking at current state, I am ordering all construction material for the room now)

Thank you guys
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3495 (1).jpg
Views:	153
Size:	841.7 KB
ID:	2357476   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	2357478   Click image for larger version

Name:	Side view from outside.png
Views:	131
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	2357480  
post #5 of 44 Old 02-07-2018, 07:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Is your room 18 feet deep after giving up the 2 feet or so for the acoustic screen? If not, you might be very tight to do to rows of seating...depending on the type of seating. Ideally that front row should be 10-11 feet from the screen otherwise you will end up with 2 rows that are very compromised, the front row from an visual standpoint and the back row from an acoustic standpoint (likely will only be 2 feet off the wall). I have a 16 inch deep room and what I am planning is a row of HT recliners 11.5 feet from the screen (also 110" 16:9) and a back row against the wall for overflow seating which will consist of Ikea Poang recliners or bolt down theater seats.

Last edited by malba2366; 02-07-2018 at 07:10 PM.
post #6 of 44 Old 02-07-2018, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

My room is total 18 feet, so after AT screen it will be 16 feet screen to backwall. I am planning two recliners in front row, 9 feet away from screen , for second row i have found a great stadium seat for great price locally ,, i am buying row of 4 chairs (48 inch width for a pair) for $90 total.... attached is the picture ....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	24AD27AD-A166-4344-A5D1-85D8E465713D_1518065173703.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	2357740  
impreza276 likes this.
post #7 of 44 Old 02-08-2018, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asp2427 View Post
My room is total 18 feet, so after AT screen it will be 16 feet screen to backwall. I am planning two recliners in front row, 9 feet away from screen , for second row i have found a great stadium seat for great price locally ,, i am buying row of 4 chairs (48 inch width for a pair) for $90 total.... attached is the picture ....

I am assuming the recliners will be the main viewing position. Have you sat 9 feet from a 110 inch 16:9 screen before? I would suspect that many would be uncomfortable viewing the screen from that close. The compromise would be to put those stadium seats all the way against the back wall (Accepting the obvious acoustic compromises) and bring the recliners back to about 11 feet. Maybe someone with more experience could provide some thoughts on this.
post #8 of 44 Old 02-08-2018, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 2211 Post(s)
Liked: 930
That is going to be cramped with two rows, and the second row will get pushed to the back wall.
Far from ideal audio-wise, and I suspect the front row might see the screen weave.

I would suggest you go with a single of those stadium seats, and keep them off the back wall. And think
Atmos 5.1.4 dual subs, with the surrounds in wall, in backer boxes.

I wouldn't bother with a rear sub either.
post #9 of 44 Old 02-08-2018, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Subbed
post #10 of 44 Old 02-08-2018, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
That is going to be cramped with two rows, and the second row will get pushed to the back wall.
Far from ideal audio-wise, and I suspect the front row might see the screen weave.

I would suggest you go with a single of those stadium seats, and keep them off the back wall. And think

i am already worried and seeing screen weave i might continue on the construction but will determine the second row feasibility when components are in the room.. Personally me and wife are the only one (and offcourse my 5 yr old who will be stuck in my chair with me) who will be using this space for 99% of time..... so I can live with just one row....
thanks for your idea about surrounds in wall in backer box, i have def tech BP but not a big fan of those, so will surely make room future proof (which can be as soon as theater is ready ,,, Wife can handle one craziness of mine at a time).... at this time those backer box will be declared as acoustic panel locations until i put new surrounds there

Thanks
post #11 of 44 Old 02-08-2018, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Those bipolar speakers aren't a good choice with the AT screen, as you'll want to treat the front wall. A small amount
of energy will reflect off the backside of the AT screen, so you want to capture that. And ideally, you'll want your front
speakers to 6" off the backside of the AT screen, to avoid timbre shifting. You also don't want your subs firing directly
onto the AT screen fabric.
post #12 of 44 Old 02-08-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:

If he puts a row of those bolt down theater seats like he pictured against the back wall he can pull it off with the main row 4.5 feet from the back wall...11.5 feet is the ideal THX viewing distance for a 110 inch screen, and most good quality AT screen weaves are not visible at 11.5 feet. Yes that back row is very compromised from an acoustic standpoint, but he is also dealing with a 10 foot wide room...all that expense to only seat 2 people. Most people (guests children etc.) would still be blown away with the audio and video quality even all the way against the back wall.
post #13 of 44 Old 02-08-2018, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by malba2366 View Post
If he puts a row of those bolt down theater seats like he pictured against the back wall he can pull it off with the main row 4.5 feet from the back wall...11.5 feet is the ideal THX viewing distance for a 110 inch screen, and most good quality AT screen weaves are not visible at 11.5 feet. Yes that back row is very compromised from an acoustic standpoint, but he is also dealing with a 10 foot wide room...all that expense to only seat 2 people. Most people (guests children etc.) would still be blown away with the audio and video quality even all the way against the back wall.
Thanks, my guests will be blown out by theater itself, and most friends i have dont even use a speaker and 55 inch LED's so I am sure they wont notice the audio differnce

I hope that I continue the progress on this theater to have it ready in next few months...
I see lots of challenges
  • permits
  • inspection
  • diy work quality

i will keep bugging you all at every step

thanks
post #14 of 44 Old 02-08-2018, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

What can I say?

18' L x 7'1" H x 9'5" W. 2 Salamander Matteo seats.

But it could be three stadium seats just fine. And such a space needn't be very expensive.

As for too much expense to seat 2 people.

I'd do three seats in that space just fine.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AT space details.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	2358054   Click image for larger version

Name:	floorplan.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	2358056  

Last edited by Tedd; 02-08-2018 at 05:21 PM.
post #15 of 44 Old 02-09-2018, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Quote:
16' is sure tight for 2 seat rows unless you reduce the size of screen further. I project from 18' on a wall and get 150" picture.
Out of curiosity, why are the speakers placed behind the screen.
post #16 of 44 Old 02-09-2018, 09:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Because the room is narrow, and to get a larger screen, without stuffing the LR mains in the corner of the room.

You also reduce the clutter foot print of speakers in a small room.

I also accommodate two rather large subs, in a space that otherwise couldn't host them.
post #17 of 44 Old 02-10-2018, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
What can I say? [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.avsforum.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

18' L x 7'1" H x 9'5" W. 2 Salamander Matteo seats.

But it could be three stadium seats just fine. And such a space needn't be very expensive.

As for too much expense to seat 2 people.

I'd do three seats in that space just fine.
Wow thats an amazing theater..... so at this point i will continue on my framing..... once room is ready will have some test of projection and viewing evaluations.... i can live with one row so i will get an true idea.....
post #18 of 44 Old 02-10-2018, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

16' is sure tight for 2 seat rows unless you reduce the size of screen further. I project from 18' on a wall and get 150" picture.
Out of curiosity, why are the speakers placed behind the screen.[/QUOTE]

This is a must as per WAF agreement we made ..... also my wish is no speakers should be insight ..... hence going with at screen with sound behind. These BP are going to be temperory,,,, i am planning to upgrade to 1099s LCR once theater is complete
post #19 of 44 Old 02-10-2018, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I also accommodate two rather large subs, in a space that otherwise couldn't host them.
I am planning for 2 diy mini marty or cyclops with dayton UM15
post #20 of 44 Old 02-10-2018, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

What really is amazing with that theater, is how it pretty much is my idea of what a killer budget build can be.
While that is a very high end room, it needn't be....

One could lace in some AT fabric and those panels could be something as simple as black speaker grill fabric.
LED tape lighting is rather inexpensive these days, so that all is a pretty solid base, for the DIY'er, to pull off that look.

Here's another one that follows a similar formula.

+1 to no speakers visible. It's kind of fun to have speakers and subs with serious output, hidden away.

And when one has an AT screen and wall, that meshes very well with the simplest speaker finish for the DIY'er.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Josk.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	666.5 KB
ID:	2359014  
post #21 of 44 Old 02-10-2018, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I also a big fan of Art Install and some of their smaller rooms are amazing. Limited seating, and maximum WOW factor.

http://www.artinstall.ru/en/
post #22 of 44 Old 02-12-2018, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter

During hactic weekend of ice and wintery mix plan didnt go well..... i was planning to complete framing but some odd balls coming on the way did their job.... third wall (18?) is complete and now only one 10 feet wall is pending.....

Question: should i make riser and stage now or after drywall? My guess is it would be better afterdrywall. (Less cuts in drywall around the riser and stage...) will it make difference ?

Original plan was build a test wall ... then get permits but in excitement forgot that part abd started framing ... making trip to city ofice today to understand process. Since except electric I am doing all work so need to understand better. Hope diy is not a problem to get permit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8C49C684-973E-4088-AA67-7D00CE6BD0BE_1518436808380.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	2359880  
post #23 of 44 Old 02-15-2018, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

How to connect wires

I was shopping for wires and bought 500 feet of 12AWG CL2 monoprise wire.

While purchasing, I was thinking that how to pull this wires from drywall? Do I have to use the banana post wall pates at each speaker location? Also same applies to HDMI cable. Do I have to use wall post? does adding this extra barriers impacts the AV quality?

More I am reading now I am more leaning toward 5.2.4 system for this theater. Since I am new to DIY speakers, any recommendation for ceiling speakers and surrounds ? I want to get rid of DT bipolar surrounds and mains slowly.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	73301.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	2361906   Click image for larger version

Name:	35381.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	2361908  
post #24 of 44 Old 02-15-2018, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
I was shopping for wires and bought 500 feet of 12AWG CL2 monoprise wire.

While purchasing, I was thinking that how to pull this wires from drywall? Do I have to use the banana post wall pates at each speaker location? Also same applies to HDMI cable. Do I have to use wall post? does adding this extra barriers impacts the AV quality?

More I am reading now I am more leaning toward 5.2.4 system for this theater. Since I am new to DIY speakers, any recommendation for ceiling speakers and surrounds ? I want to get rid of DT bipolar surrounds and mains slowly.
You can use ones like these so there are less connections.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=3997
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=12575
HunterG likes this.
post #25 of 44 Old 02-22-2018, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

As usual for my work.... was so busy with volatile project timelines( at work) abd bad health (flu) in last 2 weeks.... finally completed my framing and electrical rough in.... i got a call from city yesterday that my permit is ready so finally there is a yellow tag sticking on my window..... ?construction officially started?

Important lesson learned : fireblocking

I had done my horizontal fire blocking with studs and orange fireblocking foam... When i spoke to city guy (unfirtynately after rough in wiring) he notified me of requirement of vertical fireblocking every 6 feet... spend few hours today to install drywall fireblocking.....

HDMI cable:
I used 1? ent conduit thru ceiling joist from future av rack to PJ, currently i passed a guid string . In future i will be running an HDMI and CAT6 (or CAT5) along with this..

Audio cable:
Monoprice 12awg... i will be running a cable thru ceiling joist mainly.... just to be at peace of mind i am running wires for 7.2.4 system just in case i change mind to upgrade i have flexibility. Also for surround speakers I have built in the framing structure for future support.... for ceiling i will be installing back boxes and will build (diysg volt 6 mainly) ceiling speakers .... any suggested forum on how to mount them in ceiling joist behing drywall?

Next steps :
Complete fire blocking
Install supply and retun air ducts
Run all audio cables
Replace light fixtures ( i installed new construction one but i figured that remodel lights fit better in back box for better noise isolation..... i am going to stuff joists with R30 but still want to minimize sound transfer within budget ...... is this help or not point.....

So far i was alone in basement but now surprisingly my wife started showing some interest too ........ she keeps coming to check progress( or to keep looking what else i bought apart from what we agreed before kick off of this project
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	416F09AE-AC59-40CB-BF15-5C3EC44848B8_1519363347483.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	2365650   Click image for larger version

Name:	4E5CE2CA-8A3C-4893-A11F-F69567F8E855_1519363362395.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	2365652   Click image for larger version

Name:	3D3EF822-44B4-4C33-89F8-FE27371BDB84_1519363437445.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	2365654  
post #26 of 44 Old 03-12-2018, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

I took a little break from theater build..... as expected this is going to be a slower progressing build.....
When originally started as a theater build only, my plan was to keep rest area unfinished and then work on leasure ... however dear wife mandated finishing rest area (atleast a understairs playhouse for kid, utility room and a must have storage room) along with theater and she added a half bath in wishlist too.... with that said i pick up my nail gun and framed up area (in soan of two weeks) ....

Finally all framing is done (except bath, i made other room to accomodate bath later on)

Next is preping everything... complete wiring in utility and storage area and then insulation.....

My smart goal is to be inspection ready by this friday.

For surround speakers I am going DIY route... I am planning for 2 way speaker with narrow and tall cabinet which can fit in the wall and can be covered with black at cloth covered frame (inspired from BFF-NO). I am currently thinking using Selenium ST200 and Eminence Delta-10a 10” driver.... i will look into crossover diy and will try one speaker first.... if its success then rest 3 will be done same way....

for ceiling i am thinking combining Eminence alpha 6a and dayton DC28F-8 tweeter.... any suggestion on this DIy?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	E0DD6FA1-52C9-40DC-862A-F4FD5939B3F5_1520883689725.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	2374226   Click image for larger version

Name:	A8428951-0329-4241-9AD4-FE1B64297BAC_1520884361964.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	2374258   Click image for larger version

Name:	46B8F60D-4AF9-4E4A-8934-3DB74352AD26_1520884382832.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	2374260  

Last edited by asp2427; 03-12-2018 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Added pictures and text
post #27 of 44 Old 03-22-2018, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter

Had a city rough in inspection for my theater room and partial basement.... and its approved to proceed further.... it was very smooth . Guy went thoroughly in theater room only..... last thing he mentioned while signing document was my planning and work was much detailed and thorough that few other site he visited yesterday..... now the fun begins with insulation tomorrow and drywall in weekend ...... any tips or checkbox item before framing is covered???

Last edited by asp2427; 03-22-2018 at 03:35 PM.
post #28 of 44 Old 03-26-2018, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 774
Quote:
I took a little break from theater build..... as expected this is going to be a slower progressing build.....
I wish mine moved as "slowly" as yours. From start to ready for drywall in under two months - not bad at all!
post #29 of 44 Old 03-26-2018, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by impreza276 View Post
I wish mine moved as "slowly" as yours. From start to ready for drywall in under two months - not bad at all! [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
but this "SLow" had cost me plenty heartburn with dear wife,, I keep spending entire weekend just in basement so was difficult to tackle peer-pressure in house on occasions , but she is sweetie, so she understands my craziness...

Completed insulation, i did walls with R15 and ceiling with R30 . insulating walls were breeze but ceiling were tough . my ceiling joist are so weird, some are closer than 16" and some were spread to 18". so I had to make lot of adjustments in cutting rolls. Also mistake I did in wiring lights is i didn't maintain same level for holes so I had to work more to accommodate insulation around wiring.

I have a friend (who is contractor by passion and profession) coming this Saturday to give me a hand in drywall.... very excited to see some wall this weekend.

I was tempted so much that even with no wall on, I plugged projector and projected homepage on insulated wall to remind myself about my love for theater..

Next steps:
  • Selenium DS220 become available after long wait, so I ordered 4 units with dayton horn. Planning to pair them with eminence delta 10A 10" for surround. For ceiling I am planning on getting eminence 6" alpha with selenium horn loaded tweeter (nothing set on stone, but this is original idea for ceiling). I found very less info on this but I am planning to build ceiling backbox in joist in this week before drywall goes up.
  • drywall completion
  • build front stage (To accomodate sub, speakers and false wall),
  • build riser for second row of stadium seats
  • build surround and ceiling speakers. (may start new thread on them)
  • Build Sub (same)
  • cabinet for AV rack outside of theater

Question at this point:
  • what material should I use for filling front stage
  • Do i have to use any vapor barrier under this stage
  • will R30 insulation fine for filling riser?

Added picture of wall (this was taken too early in process, dont have latest on my phone)
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	C6CFDB53-B93A-46D0-ABB9-9F90F7CD28BE_1522086146605.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	2380730  

Last edited by asp2427; 03-26-2018 at 11:43 AM.
post #30 of 44 Old 03-31-2018, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Well after 9 hours of efforts and sweating, finally the drywall is up in the room..... it feels so great to see the wall up finally, had a great time and great experience .... next is fixing two minor issues and then mud and tape ... have few more rooms to complete for drywall but at this point my back wil not let me do any panel lifting in the rain/snow tomorrow. Have got a new windows computer as well now ( just so that my macbook dont feels sad for not installing softwares needed for my speakers and crossovers) will play around on that tomorrow ......
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	18EE075A-8CF9-4B77-8599-119391758AC5_1522555205395.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	2383412   Click image for larger version

Name:	08D29051-B14F-4FBE-B49A-40FF13B92E6D_1522555219838.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	2383414   Click image for larger version

Name:	6CA9B681-E043-4C73-A918-FEE0A6EC65C0_1522555239880.jpg
Views:	56