The OCD Theater Build - MN - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 41Likes

post #31 of 50 Old 11-20-2018, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Drywall - Soffit - Riser

Sorry for the long delay between posts. Had a busy couple months and then I took the wife to Italy for 10 days for our anniversary at the beginning of this month. Just now getting all caught up on work stuff and able to spend some time on the basement. Before we left I was able to get all the channel installed, double drywall with green glue up in the theater (OSB 1st layer in the ceiling), build the light weight soffit assemblies for the "faux" soffits to create the trayed ceiling, and frame out the riser. Also had the second rough-in electrical inspection which I passed.

Backer boxes for ceiling Atmos speakers: 3/4" MDF and 5/8" Type X drywall with green glue in between and finished with green glue acoustical sealant.

Backer Boxes Installed - made sure they were flush with the channel using 2 boards and some clamps and then used green glue acoustical sealant on the boxes when putting up the layer of 5/8" OSB. Boxes are attached to the channel with screws to a couple of 2x4 scraps attached to the outside ends of the backer boxes. There is a gap between the backer boxes and the floor joists of between 1/8 and 1/4 of an inch. It was a tight fit, but the boxes were based on the required interior volume required for the speakers being used.

OSB 1st layer on the ceiling:

OSB layer complete!:

Double Drywall up!:

"Faux" Soffit Construction:

Riser - Wired an outlet to the front for future electric recliners.

I also took a few minutes during the drywall phase to mockup the screen size I have decided on - 120" 16:9. I think this size fits the space well without being too big and allowing plenty of space on the sides for the LR towers.

Last week I was working on the HVAC supply and returns in the soffits, filled the soffits with insulation and then drywalled the bottom of the soffits. I have also taped the majority of the basement and most of the theater, just need to tape the soffits and then I'll be ready to start the first of two or three coats of drywall mud.

HVAC Supply Line - I created a duct muffler between the floor joists comprised of drywall, MDF and 8" insulated flexible duct. The duct also takes a circuitous route before it reaches the trunk. Even with all the bending there is still good floow.

HVAC Return line - This has the same duct muffler setup as the supply and a similar circuitous route. The actual vent will be placed down the stud cavity which has a layer of 5/8 OSB and 5/8 drywall at the back, I also added some 2x material flush with the stud wall and added some foam insulation to try and muffle any sound waves that try to go into the return. Not sure how effective this will be, but I had the foam lying around so I thought it couldn't hurt. In the first image you can also see the outlets that I ran. One switched outlet for lighting the trayed ceiling, one dedicated 15amp outlet for the projector and and HDMI outlet. Conduit was also run to the HDMI outlet for future use.

Drywalled the bottom of the soffits

In the end I did decide I would do the mudding and taping myself. It's not an overly hard job, just tedious and time consuming. Since I'm not on a hard timeline for this build I figured I'd save the money and do it myself. I did purchase a cheap "banjo" taping tool, which is worth it's weight in gold as far as I'm concerned. Super easy to operate and made the taping portion of the job much more simple. Just fill it with mud, run the tape through and away you go. For anybody thinking about taping themselves I would highly recommend it. I purchased it on Amazon for around $40.

Over the next few days into next week:
  • fill the riser with insulation and top with 2 layers of 3/4" tongue and groove OSB
  • finish taping the theater and the rest of the basement and hopefully make a good start on getting the mudding done
  • Home Depot is coming on Monday to measure for carpet
  • I should be ordering the door for the theater room early next week. I've decided to go with a 1-3/4" solid core door that will match the rest of the design of the house. Depending on sound leakage (and WAF) I will also add a gasket around the door and an automatic door bottom as needed.
  • Possibly order my projector - the one I'm looking at had some pretty good price decreases this time last year so I'll scoop it up if history repeats itself. Not getting anything fancy. Going with a Epson Home Cinema 2150 for the time being. I need to economize where I can and I think 1080P will do just fine for the near future. Plus that'll leave me with plenty of room to upgrade in the future .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Drywall finished 1.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	2485518   Click image for larger version

Name:	Drywall Finished 2.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	2485520   Click image for larger version

Name:	Light weight soffit.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	2485522   Click image for larger version

Name:	Riser.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	2485524   Click image for larger version

Name:	Soffit Drywall 1.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	2485526  

Name:	Soffit Drywall 2.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	2485528   Click image for larger version

Name:	Theater Return.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	2485530   Click image for larger version

Name:	Theater Supply.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	2485532   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stud return.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	2485542   Click image for larger version

Name:	homax-drywall-taping-tools-6500-64_1000.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	2485544  

Name:	Screen mock-up.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	2485546   Click image for larger version

Name:	Backer boxes installed.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	208.1 KB
ID:	2485562   Click image for larger version

Name:	Backer Boxes.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	2485564   Click image for larger version

Name:	OSB 1st layer.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	314.8 KB
ID:	2485566   Click image for larger version

Name:	OSB first layer finished.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	339.7 KB
ID:	2485568  

Name:	Backer boxes installed2.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	2485570  
Tedd and TMcG like this.

Last edited by 223Patriot; 11-20-2018 at 06:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 Old 11-20-2018, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 270
It's looking very nice! Thanks for posting the update.

Your original diagram (IIRC) showed the center channel and a sub below the screen. Will there be room for that or are you going acoustically transparent? It looks like your room has the space (lengthwise) for an AT screen and there are some great DIY materials that you can find on AVS. My screen is mounted higher than most would consider optimum - I like it that way and it gave me more room for my center channel which is an option to consider.

Good luck at keeping up with the great progress. I'm sure you're itching to put the room to use!
223Patriot likes this.

7.2.4 with Denon X4300W, ATI 2005 & 1807 Amps, Kef Reference 203 Mains, 202c Ctr, 201 Surr, Ci200RR-THX Top Rears, Q300 Frt Hts, E301 Rear Surr, Power Sound Audio PSA dual S3600i Subs,
GIK & DIY Acoustics, JVC X790/RS540 Projector, Stewart Neve 100" Screen, Panasonic Blu-Ray DMP-UB900, Xbox One X, Crowson Transducers, INSTEON, UDI ISY994i, Amazon Echo
post #33 of 50 Old 11-20-2018, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorax2 View Post
It's looking very nice! Thanks for posting the update.

Your original diagram (IIRC) showed the center channel and a sub below the screen. Will there be room for that or are you going acoustically transparent? It looks like your room has the space (lengthwise) for an AT screen and there are some great DIY materials that you can find on AVS. My screen is mounted higher than most would consider optimum - I like it that way and it gave me more room for my center channel which is an option to consider.

Good luck at keeping up with the great progress. I'm sure you're itching to put the room to use!
Thanks!

The screen will actually be a bit higher than in the picture, I just wanted to see it on the wall . I believe I will have about 30" below the screen, so there should be plenty of room for the center channel and the sub(s).

One potential future upgrade would be to create a false wall in front of the actual wall with an AT screen and some DIY speakers behind, but I haven't done any research into the logistics of that. Plus with how much this whole basement project is already costing me I just want to get it done so that I can start enjoying it. Again, gotta leave something to upgrade in the future .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 50 Old 11-21-2018, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 270
I envy your large screen! I sit about 10.5 feet from a 100" and love it though I could handle being even closer and wish my room could handle a larger screen (limited by available throw distance). The 30" will give plenty of clearance below your screen.

The AT screen would be a great future upgrade in your situation. It would allow you to move the screen closer which will give you added brightness for HDR and will also make up for the slightly lower gain of an AT screen.

I hope you can participate in the next Minneapolis theater crawl next Spring / Summer. You'll have to keep an eye on the thread. It would be great to check out your setup!
223Patriot likes this.

7.2.4 with Denon X4300W, ATI 2005 & 1807 Amps, Kef Reference 203 Mains, 202c Ctr, 201 Surr, Ci200RR-THX Top Rears, Q300 Frt Hts, E301 Rear Surr, Power Sound Audio PSA dual S3600i Subs,
GIK & DIY Acoustics, JVC X790/RS540 Projector, Stewart Neve 100" Screen, Panasonic Blu-Ray DMP-UB900, Xbox One X, Crowson Transducers, INSTEON, UDI ISY994i, Amazon Echo
post #35 of 50 Old 11-21-2018, 06:36 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorax2 View Post
I hope you can participate in the next Minneapolis theater crawl next Spring / Summer. You'll have to keep an eye on the thread. It would be great to check out your setup!
Likewise. By the way, As the delays in PJ manufacturers lets up, I'll host a viewing with the new PJ's. JVC is a little delayed and Epson has sold every one they make....
post #36 of 50 Old 11-21-2018, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 706 Post(s)
Liked: 528
I do my own dry-walling as well but I haven't tried one of those banjos yet. Did you put down a layer of OSB on the side of your soffit?

The only thing about dry-walling I don't like is the dust from sanding. I bought a shop vacuum attachment sanding rig that using sanding screen and it works fantastic. It also makes for a great shoulder workout as the suction creates more friction you have to overcome;it is a bit harder than just using sandpaper but having virtually no dust makes it worth the extra effort imo.
223Patriot likes this.

Denali Cinema
JVC-RS540, 124" Wide 2.40:1 DIY Screen, Denon 8500H, Denon 6200W, Panasonic UB820 UHD Player, (3) iNuke 6000DSP's; (3) HTM-12's; (14) RSL C34e surrounds; (2) 18" Dayton Audio RSS460HO-4 Subwoofers; (1) Dayton Audio UM18-22 18" Ultimax Subwoofer; (4) Dayton Audio RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofers

Last edited by brazensol; 11-21-2018 at 08:00 AM.
post #37 of 50 Old 11-21-2018, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazensol View Post
I do my own dry walling as well but I haven't tried one of those banjos yet. Did you put down a layer of OSB on the side of your soffit?
There is a layer of OSB on the bottom of the main soffit covering the HVAC ducts which is then has a 2nd layer of 5/8 drywall with green glue. The side of that soffit is 2 layers of 5/8" drywall. What I'm referring to as the "faux" soffits will only have 1 layer of 5/8 drywall since those soffits are within the "shell" of the room which already has 2 layers of 5/8 (OSB and then drywall) with green glue.
brazensol likes this.
post #38 of 50 Old 11-28-2018, 05:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1615 Post(s)
Liked: 1810
Fantastic progress and *IMMACULATE* construction skill and attention to detail!!! I love this build!

I was considering getting a drywall banjo and doing my own taping as well. I assume it also does inside corners as well, correct? Do you have a link to the exact one you purchased?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	complete.gif
Views:	316
Size:	3.09 MB
ID:	2488428  
OJ Bartley and 223Patriot like this.
post #39 of 50 Old 11-28-2018, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
Fantastic progress and *IMMACULATE* construction skill and attention to detail!!! I love this build!

I was considering getting a drywall banjo and doing my own taping as well. I assume it also does inside corners as well, correct? Do you have a link to the exact one you purchased?

Lol, thanks. It had been more or less been a labor of love. I've always liked home improvement projects so luckily a lot of this stuff is in my wheel house. Definitely not for everybody. I'm hoping to finish by Christmas which will put me at about 10 months for total construction lol. If only I didn't have to finish the rest of the basement at the same time I would've been done much sooner.

The banjo was purchased on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It worked really well for me. The most important part is making sure the mud is thinned enough, but not too much. There are versions out there that have an attachment for doing corners, but they are much more expensive. I just used my fingers to push the tape into the corner and set the tape in with a corner trowel. There are a lot of videos on youtube using this very tool. I youtube everything before I start to pick up any tips or techniques.

Last edited by 223Patriot; 11-28-2018 at 10:29 AM.
post #40 of 50 Old 11-28-2018, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Taping Done!

Had a marathon session on Saturday and finally finished all the taping. Now it's on to the mudding of the theater and the entire basement. I pre-filled all the horizontal tapered wall joints yesterday. I'm hoping to get at least the first coat done on all the butt joints, corners and tapered joints done by the end of this weekend. So far taping has been my least favorite part of the drywall process (besides DD between floor joists which SUUUUCKED). Mudding is a pure joy in comparison.

I also ordered our carpet for the basement and the theater room. I went with Home Depot for ease of purchase and 24 mo interest free financing . Once the carpet is delivered to the installer I will be able to set the installation appointment. I didn't want to spring for fancy (IE expensive) theater carpeting so I went with the darkest color on one of their more economical lines. The color is Mayflower from their Soft Breath II line (dumbest name for a carpet line ever IMO). Not the cheapest carpet, but pretty economical at around $2.69/sqft. It's pretty thick (60oz face weight) and has a nice, soft feel. I also went with their thickest pad which should improve the feel.

The theater door has also been ordered. 1-3/4" thick solid core. It's a "custom" order and it's estimated to be in on 12/23. Hoping to have it in sooner, but if not then people will just have to deal with the noise if the theater is done by then . The rest of the doors for the basement have also been ordered. They are a more standard 1-3/8" thick solid core, so they should be in early next week.

On another note, the drywall lift that I purchased from Northern Tool for $100 (on sale and with a coupon, MSRP$150), I was able to sell on Craigslist for $120! So I'll take that small victory and put it towards something.

Finally, my projector has arrived! Nothing fancy (there's a theme here, I think ). I went with the Epson Home Cinema 2150. It was on sale for $699 on Amazon and came with a $50 amazon gift card, so essentially $649. I'm going to resist the urge to put it up before the project is done so that the project actually gets finished. Thoughts and prayer that my resolve holds out would be appreciated lol.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Taping done 1.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	2488588   Click image for larger version

Name:	Taping done 2.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	2488590   Click image for larger version

Name:	Theater Carpet.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	2488592   Click image for larger version

Name:	Epson Home Cinema 2150.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	2488594  
TMcG, BllDo, Oklahomie and 1 others like this.
post #41 of 50 Old 12-01-2018, 06:50 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by 223Patriot View Post
...If only I didn't have to finish the rest of the basement at the same time I would've been done much sooner.

Ain’t that the truth. I started out building the theater with the intention of leaving the rest of the basement unfinished. I ended up finishing the entire basement before getting to focus on the theater. It was nice to have a place for the kids to play though. You’re still progressing much faster than me.
post #42 of 50 Old 12-10-2018, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1615 Post(s)
Liked: 1810
Quote:
Originally Posted by 223Patriot View Post
So far taping has been my least favorite part of the drywall process (besides DD between floor joists which SUUUUCKED). Mudding is a pure joy in comparison.
I had to laugh when I saw this. HERE is a link to my post which described the process of adding drywall between the ceiling joists. You'll see my assessment was eerily similar to yours.

I'm glad I did it...but equally glad it's done.
223Patriot likes this.
post #43 of 50 Old 12-10-2018, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Great build, subscribed.. What drawing program are you using?
223Patriot likes this.

post #44 of 50 Old 12-10-2018, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman48 View Post
Great build, subscribed.. What drawing program are you using?
Thanks! I used Google Sketchup for everything. I've been using that program for a few years now for every project I've made, from a deck, to this theater room, to some built-in cabinets I plan on making at some point in the future. It takes a little while to get used to the program, but once you're up and running it's a super useful tool. I model every stick of lumber for every single project before I even start. It helps reduce the "I wish I would've" moments since you can visualize everything digitally first. It also helps with cut lists and lumber counts, which is a plus for many builds.
post #45 of 50 Old 12-10-2018, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Drywall Done!

It's been a hell of a week. I scheduled the carpet to be installed on 12/21. Nothing like a hard deadline to get your ass in gear! I've been working like made trying to get the basement, and most importantly the theater room, ready in time for carpet to be installed. Had several early mornings and late nights making final touches to the drywall in the basement last week and today/tonight I made the final touches and was able to prime the entire basement. Luckily I was able to borrower an airless sprayer so I didn't have to roll on the PVA primer like a sucker .

I didn't happen to snap a pic of the theater room since it was the last room I did and there were still a lot of areas that were a bit wet, but here are some before and after pics for the "main" room of the basement.

Before primer:

After primer (still a few wet spots):

It was a messy job, but somebody had to do it:

Starting tomorrow I will begin painting the rest of the basement and finish painting with the theater. After looking at many different theater builds I have decided to go with Tricorn Black (Sherwin Willaims - SW6258) for the ceiling and the screen wall and Peppercorn (Sherwin Williams - SW7674) for the side and back walls. Although I am not using Sherwin Williams paint. I've had good luck with the Behr paint at Home Depot. I don't use their high end "marquee" line, but their Behr Premium Plus Ultra has served me well for many past paint jobs.

Also, I got my height speakers in this week. I went with the economical Micca M-8C. They should do the trick. I will need to paint the bezel and speaker grill matte black to match the ceiling. I also need to pain the bezels for the recessed lighting the same matte black.

Lastly, I placed an order for my new receiver. I decided on a Denon AVR-X4400H. I have a neighbor who works for a local audio store. He was able to hook me up with $50 above cost for the receiver which was a good deal. I will, however, need to get an additional 2 channel amp to power the 2 additional height speakers. I have my eye on a couple "economical" options, but would appreciate any input in that arena.

Should be a busy couple weeks coming up, but it's nice to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I have some family coming into town for Christmas and I'm fairly certain that I will be able to at least demo my new theater room .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	After Primer.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	2494948   Click image for larger version

Name:	Before Primer.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	2494950   Click image for larger version

Name:	Collateral Damage.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	2494952   Click image for larger version

Name:	Denon_AVR-X4400H.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	2494964   Click image for larger version

Name:	Micca M-8C.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	2494966  

bigbadbob, TMcG and Oria34 like this.
post #46 of 50 Old 01-04-2019, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Paint and carpet...sorta.

I hope everybody had a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

So this last few weeks have been a mixed bag. I busted my a$$ trying to get everything painted and ready to have carpet installed in the theater and the rest of the basement. There was a small mixup with the theater paint at Home Depot. I requested Flat, but the lady mixed up Matte instead. Not much of an issue, but I think the Matte had more sheen than I wanted. I took the paint back and had it exchanged for Flat. Had to do a little more painting than I planned, but whatever, it got fixed and didn’t really hurt my time line. The big F-up was with the carpet. The Home Depot carpet installers were out on 12/21 to install the carpet. Shortly after they arrived and tried to confirm the measurements they informed me that they would not have enough carpet to complete the theater. There was an error during the measuring process and (after a lot of back and forth) it was discovered that the carpet for the theater riser was included in the measurements for the beige carpet color that was to be used for the rest of the basement instead of the correct darker color. They ALSO mis-measured the main area of the basement by about 6 inches so that area couldn’t be carpeted either (can’t have 2 seems so close together). They ended up having to send out the measuring guy again the day AFTER Christmas to RE-measure the theater room and basement main area before they would reorder the carpet. Now we’re scheduled for the 2nd install on 1/11. Needless to say that on the day of the original install when it was discovered that all the carpet wouldn’t be installed I. Was. PISSED . I had specifically scheduled it for the week before Christmas because I had some family coming in town and was looking forward to making some memories in (and showing off ) the new theater room. We went through Home Depot for what I thought would be the ease of the process and they could guarantee that it would be installed by Christmans. In the end they were able to carpet the theater riser (among a couple other areas in the basement, which I think looks good. I’m in talks with a manager at home depot about some sort of compensation for the 3 week delay. We’ll see how that goes.

Carpeted riser. Noticeable drywall seem on the left :-\. I'm also proud of the baseboard trim job around the riser . Measure 20 times, cut 10 .

The silver lining of this snafu is that it allowed me more time to complete some other messy/dusty items in the theater (and the basement in general). Things like cutting and installed all the door casements and few miscellaneous items in the basement that involved using the miter saw.

Drywall issue
After painting the theater I realized that I didn’t do as well of a job on the finishing the tapered joints on the drywall (among other things) as I thought I did. After I finished the drywall the seams felt smooth, but they clearly weren’t smooth enough (as evidenced by the picture above and below. I think the dark paint and the downward facing lights don’t help with hiding the defect either.

Another view of the nasty seams

My eye was immediately drawn to this seam as soon as I walked into the theater. I was considering leaving it, but I knew it would slowly drive me nuts so since there wasn’t carpet in the majority of the theater anyways (and because I’m a bit anal-retentive/OCD, thus the name of this thread ) I decided to take this opportunity to fix it.

Afterwards it looks much better. This is with only one coat of paint on the patch, it looks much more seamless after 2 coats. There are still some defects in the drywall (since it was a DIY job ), but none that I think anybody will notice. You can also see the Peppercorn walls and the Tricorn black screen wall that I went with. Definitely glad I picked those colors.

My OCD feels better now .

Backer Boxes
I was also able to get the ceiling backer boxes stuffed (using cheap polyester from $2.55 walmart pillows that I’ve read about in other threads), the speaker bezels and covers painted and the speakers installed in the ceiling. I’ll wait until I actually test the speakers before putting the covers on. Also a good shot of the Tricorn black ceiling .

Painted the speakers, light bezels and the supply register that will be above the screen. Used Rustoleum Matte black auto body paint, which I think did a good job.

Tray Ceiling
I also got the crown molding and the lights up in the tray ceiling. I went with the 3528 LEDs, but I think I will likely swap them out for the 5050 in the future. You can sort of see the individual RGB LEDs with the 3528 (which the 5050 don’t have). Not a huge deal, but something I’ll want changed eventually. To raise the lights up I ripped some strips of MDF at an angle to match (or at least get close to) the angle of the crown molding. The LED strip is adhered to the flat top of these strips. I just set the strips in the channel created by the crown molding. With the tapered edge they seem snug, but if there are ever any rattling issues I’ll glue them in.

Theater Door
I was also able to get the theater door frame taken care of. I had previously just mounted the frame with EZ Hangers to have it up for carpet. It was at this point that I discovered an issue. Normally on a solid core door you put a longer screw through the top hinge into structure to support the added weight of the door. With the clips, hat channel and 2 layers of 5/8 drywall the hinge was nearly 2” from the edge of the 2x4 structure.

With a 1-3/4” solid core door I definitely didn’t want to rely on those EZ Hangers to support the door. After weighing a couple options I decided to put some additional screws through the door frame/jamb where they would hit structure. This presented another problem of having to hide those screws since the existing door stop would not conceal them. I decided to go with a “non-traditional” door stop and got some prefinished 9/16"x2-1/4" "craftsman" casing. Since the door jamb is 7-1/8” wide, I think the thicker/wider stop looks much more proportional than the tiny trim that was on there before. Plus it gave me enough room to add some rubber bubble gasket material to help the door seal better.

Old stop vs new

After I had the door frame situation taken care of I was ready to put the casement around the door. Before I did that I stuffed some caulking backer rode around the frame and filled the gape with acoustical sealant. I also added sealant to the gaps on the other side of the door. Once that was done I nailed up the casement and the door is done! The carpet and pad are about 1” thick so I’ll see how close the door is to that. If the door bottom needs trimming I’ll probably trim it as close to the carpet as possible. I’m going to wait and see how much sound leaks through before opting for an automatic door bottom.

Foam backer rod

Green glue acoustical sealant

Door finished!

MISC
In other news, my neighbor who is hooking me up with a deal on the Denon receiver let me know that their supplier didn’t have any more of the 4400 in stock so they are sending a 4500 at the same price Lol. I haven’t done much research into the 4500 vs the 4400, but I’ll take a current year model for the same price any day . Just waiting for him to get the other 2 surround speakers in and then I’ll pick both of those up, hopefully sometime next week.

I also splurged and bought myself a PS4 with Red Dead Redemption 2. My current, crappy bluray player bit the dust recently so rather than spend money on a new bluray player I convinced the wife that a PS4 would do the trick. I'm kinda surprised that actually worked . I know it's not the best option for high def viewing, but since my projector will only be 1080 it should fit the bill nicely. I haven't opened the box yet, I fear that if I did all progress on the basement/theater would cease .

We're nearing the end! I need to figure out where exactly I'm going to mount all my surround speakers and tidy up the wiring in the utility room where my A/V rack will be. I also need to assemble and mount my screen and then mount my projector. Hopefully I'll have these last details wrapped up before carpet is completed and then I can start enjoying the room. Acoustical panels will come soon afterwards. I'm working with a couple of local insulation suppliers to source the insulation I want to use for the panels.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Riser carpet.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	2506388   Click image for larger version

Name:	Drywall Seem.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	2506390   Click image for larger version

Name:	Drywall patch.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	2506392   Click image for larger version

Name:	Drywall fixed.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	2506394   Click image for larger version

Name:	Speaker painting.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	2506396  

Name:	Backer boxes stuffed.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	2506398   Click image for larger version

Name:	Atmos speakers installed.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	2506400   Click image for larger version

Name:	Crown moulding.jpg
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	2506402   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tray ceiling lights.jpg
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	2506404   Click image for larger version

Name:	Light blocking.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	2506406  

Name:	door issue.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	2506412   Click image for larger version

Name:	Door Screws.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	2506414   Click image for larger version

Name:	Door stops.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	2506416   Click image for larger version

Name:	New door stop.jpg
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	2506418   Click image for larger version

Name:	Backer Rod.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	2506420  

Name:	door sealant.jpg
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	2506422   Click image for larger version

Name:	door finished.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	2506424  
pkinneb likes this.

Last edited by 223Patriot; 01-05-2019 at 04:41 PM.
post #47 of 50 Old 01-05-2019, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Pics are working and your room is looking awesome !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #48 of 50 Old 01-08-2019, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Cardinal Sin...

I committed a cardinal sin of home theater builds today....I hung the projector before the project is fully completed!

Luckily (or not so luckily) I don't have any of my speakers mounted or my receiver hooked up so I can't really watch anything yet lol. Also, I ran into an issue with my Silver Ticket screen during assembly so that's not ready to hang yet. One of the fiberglass rods snapped while stretching the screen over the attachment lug (FUUUUUUUUUU--). The company has been super responsive and shipped out a replacement right away. I should have it tomorrow.

The rest of the carpet gets installed on Friday so I'm hoping to have everything done and ready to go by then so I can watch the first movie Friday night!!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Projector Hung.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	2507874   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Rod.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	2507876  
post #49 of 50 Old 01-10-2019, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Just a heads up on the silver ticket screen- mine was a little goofy in the corners, you may or may not have the same issue. In the corners the screws on the little L brackets interfered with the ends of those fiberglass rods and held the screen just a bit away from the frame. Minor annoyance, but maybe you can find a fix while assembling. Me? I didn’t notice till after I hung it and I just grind my teeth whenever I notice it. Which is always.
223Patriot likes this.
post #50 of 50 Old 01-18-2019, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Carpet!, Screen, ugly couches, first movie

Carpet!
We finally got the carpet installed last Friday after a 3 week delay! Overall I’m happy with it and it feels much better than the builder grade garbage that we have in the rest of the house. I’m also happy that Home Depot is sending me a gift card for 10% of the total price for the carpet as compensation, which will be put to good use!

Screen
So I was supposed to get the replacement tensioning rod last Thursday, but what I received was half an empty tube (bang up job by the USPS…jerks).

So I emailed the company right away and they sent out another one which unfortunately didn’t arrive until Monday this week. Took a few times to get the screen stretched correctly to eliminate the bad wrinkles and “puckers”, but finally got it to a level I could live with.

First tube received vs what I should have received:

Screen hung and the LCR speakers and sub in their approximate locations:

Furniture
For the time being I'll be using some leather reclining sofas that we already had on hand. They are kinda ugly in the room, but they’ll work for a year or two until I can swing property theater seats.

AV Rack
I’m still waiting on some server rack shelves from a buddy before I fully put together the AV system, but I was able to hook up the new receiver to the 7.1 speakers so I could finally enjoy my first movie!!!

And the first movie was!!!:

This was also the first real test of the sound proofing treatments that I went with during construction. I played the movie sufficiently loud and I’m happy to report that my 5 and 3 years olds stayed asleep in their rooms .

Accoustic treatments
Although the room sounds fairly good without any acoustical treatments I went ahead and gathered the materials to build some acoustic panels for the theater. I purchased some acoustic insulation from a supplier that is near my house. I went with a product called UltraTouch Denim Insulation that has comparable acoustical properties to rock wool without the hassle of the dust and mess. I went with the 3.5” thick and will use 1x4s to build frames approximately 2ft x 4ft. I purchased some black speaker fabric from Joann that I plan on wrapping them with.

I’m currently planning on doing 2 on each side wall and 3 or 4 on the back. I’m out of town next week so I’m hoping to get those done and hung the week after.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Theater Carpet 1.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	2512782   Click image for larger version

Name:	Theater Carpet 2.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	2512784   Click image for larger version

Name:	USPS.jpg
Views:	65