Oh my, here we go - The Drop In Quarters Arcade Bar & Theater - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1133Likes

post #331 of 764 Old 10-22-2018, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 1093
The next 'stage' moving forward will be for me to work out how much riser I can get away with in the room so I can attack as much of my run-away LFE as possible.

The plan is to do at least a 12" high riser across the entire width of the 23ft wide back wall, approx 36" in length, open chamber floating on u-boats with vents along the back and side walls. I'd like to be able to add a smaller riser for the front row of seats too, but I'm wondering if a 6" height first row is going to really add anything to my LFE absorption - maybe if I make it part of the same open chamber of the 12" riser behind?

I'm hoping @BIGmouthinDC or other fellow master builders would be willing to chime in and follow along with this part of the build.

As I am also building a 8-10" high stage at the front of the room, I'm hoping I can squeeze some extra mass in there too under the umbrella of 'every little helps'.

Last edited by griffindodd; 10-22-2018 at 02:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 764 Old 10-22-2018, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffindodd View Post
...I'm wondering if a 6" height first row is going to really add anything to my LFE absorption - maybe if I make it part of the same open chamber of the 12" riser behind?
Check out my riser. I made a two tiered riser with one big chamber for LFE trapping. I don't have a baseline, but the bass in my room is much more tame that it was in my previous room. Could be luck, could be the riser. Who knows.

The Other Theater (most recent build)
Old Woods Remodel
Old Wood Theater (first build)
Marantz 8805 (Emotiva RMC in a box) | JVC X790R | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XPA 4-3s | Oppo 203 | DIYSG 1099 | DIYSG Volt 8 | DIYSG Volt 6 | SVS PC-4000 | Seymour UF 132"
post #333 of 764 Old 10-23-2018, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deewan View Post
Check out my riser. I made a two tiered riser with one big chamber for LFE trapping. I don't have a baseline, but the bass in my room is much more tame that it was in my previous room. Could be luck, could be the riser. Who knows.
I'm starting to get my head into trap builds, I also spent some time on the phone with Dennis Foley over at Acoustic Fields who gave me a quick Cliff notes style overview of my room and how much treatment I should aim for. Unfortunately I have neither the space nor the budget to purchase off the shelf freestanding treatments, so I'm going to have to try and squeeze out as much LFE control as I can with a large riser trap and go from there.

I started a thread dedicated to just the riser and design discussion here...

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...l#post57002290
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #334 of 764 Old 10-24-2018, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

My dedicated riser thread is a little quiet, but I'll keep it broken out as the subject needs a little more focus than burying it in the middle of this huge build thread.

So far I've got to this point where I've managed to incorporate my aesthetic goals, speaker placement and HFE control into the design. So everything that is gray in this render is bass treatment. As you can see I 'may' have to drop down to 5 seats due to space issues, but that's something I can deal with when I know the space I have left after addressing these more pressing acoustic issues.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	v2b.JPG
Views:	361
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	2472814  
post #335 of 764 Old 10-24-2018, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Added all the speakers to exact dimensions and put them in place. LCR are DIYSG 1099s, wides are ported Volt-6s, Subs in the front are SVS PB2000s, in the rear SB1000s, I'm just wondering if putting subs in corners is an absolute no-no????

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	v3a.JPG
Views:	364
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	2472856  

Last edited by griffindodd; 10-24-2018 at 10:44 AM.
post #336 of 764 Old 10-24-2018, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

All power and lighting up and running. Construction mess cleaned out ready for the next stage.

Last edited by griffindodd; 10-25-2018 at 08:59 AM.
post #337 of 764 Old 10-25-2018, 05:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 789
Quote:
I'm just wondering if putting subs in corners is an absolute no-no????

Corner loading subs is fine. In fact it's helpful to help build bass a bit. And with subs in all corners you help level out any room nodes.
griffindodd likes this.

The Other Theater (most recent build)
Old Woods Remodel
Old Wood Theater (first build)
Marantz 8805 (Emotiva RMC in a box) | JVC X790R | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XPA 4-3s | Oppo 203 | DIYSG 1099 | DIYSG Volt 8 | DIYSG Volt 6 | SVS PC-4000 | Seymour UF 132"
post #338 of 764 Old 10-25-2018, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I went through the whole room and remeasured everything as I haven't done it since all the drywall was completed.

I've updated the model to reflect all of those dimensions so I feel pretty confident that I'm looking at a very accurate representation of the room now. The only thing that has really changed that has an impact is the loss of a little more width than I thought I had, meaning that unless I can find a 'slimmer' style of seat then I will have to come down to 5 seats in the front row rather than 6. This is more of a pain than it may seem as between my girlfriend and myself we have 4 kids, so 6 seats really was the ideal amount for family movie time.

I would actually prefer a love seat in the middle for GF and me, then 2 singles each side for the 4 kids, so I need to see if I can find that arrangement with a maximum width of 180-185"

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	v5a1.JPG
Views:	358
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	2473402   Click image for larger version

Name:	v5a.JPG
Views:	348
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	2473404  
post #339 of 764 Old 10-25-2018, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Searcraft have setup with 6 in a row at 181" and a little more. If you went with the Napa with a center love seat it would be 177". Seatcraft is based in California, but not sure where.

https://4seating.com/seatcraft-napa-ss-theater-seating
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SEATCRAFT 6 SEATS.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	2473452  
griffindodd likes this.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #340 of 764 Old 10-25-2018, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
Searcraft have setup with 6 in a row at 181" and a little more. If you went with the Napa with a center love seat it would be 177". Seatcraft is based in California, but not sure where.

https://4seating.com/seatcraft-napa-ss-theater-seating
That is really great news, I'll definitely check them out

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
post #341 of 764 Old 10-25-2018, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Thinking about your bass trapping question, are these closet areas going to be utilized for anything? If not, it seems like you could pile some bales of insulation in there and then cover with some curtains or fabric treatment. The riser could work too, but unfortunately I don't think there's a lot of people who can say for sure. At least not without paying them. I think it would fall under the, "it couldn't hurt" category. I wouldn't put it on uboats though. You want it sealed to the floor to trap the pressure waves.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Closet bass trap.png
Views:	35
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	2473524  

-

Nothing in this world will tick you off more than seeing a vegetarian eating pudding.
post #342 of 764 Old 10-25-2018, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Same boat - wife and 4 kids - so even though my room is small, it has to seat everyone....

I'm working on an order with Camatic. They are a commercial seating manufacturer out of Australia, mostly known for stadium and concert hall type installations, but they have a theater recliner line which is popular domestically (for them - in Oz). I encountered their recliners at a newly-built Alamo Drathouse near me and thought they might be a fit since they appeared much narrower than anything I could find from other MFGs, and they were wall-away design which I need. Connected the dots, got in touch with them, and it looks like I'll be ordering soon.

http://www.camatic.com/cinema/produc...encia%20Motion - I'm doing a 22" seat with 5" shared arms, in the Valencia Motion since I need the wall-away recline action.

Given your larger room size, I am sure you'll be able to find some viable options from US-based companies. Over a row of 5, it wouldn't take much compromise in seat and/or arm width to be able to fit a 6th seat. Personal opinion, the recliners don't have to be mega-huge and overstuffed to be comfortable (others may think differently and that's OK too...).

If you aren't able to find anything else, there is a "hail mary" available from Australia.... it sure does come at a price though. And lead time. And shipping. (Looking at end of Jan for mine...)

James

Long-time AVS reader, finally building a small dedicated room.
McTheatre II Build Thread
post #343 of 764 Old 10-25-2018, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yep the seats are going to need a little extra special attention. One of the reasons it's a little tight is that the widest part of the arc of seats lines up almost exactly with the columns for my side surround speakers so they are both competing for the same axis of space. I'm not prepared to lose those columns as they are in integral part of the room aesthetic, so I'm just going to have to find a way to trim inches where I can. At the end of the day there isn't going to be massive amounts of foot traffic moving up behind the main row of seats, so if it's a little tight at 24" wide then so be it.
post #344 of 764 Old 10-25-2018, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Edge lit columns, paired with full height fabric panels. Most of the columns have a down-lit display shelf where I can place movie nik-naks, models etc. Pretty happy with this look...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	v7a.JPG
Views:	1209
Size:	319.0 KB
ID:	2473662  
post #345 of 764 Old 10-25-2018, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I've had to kill the idea of bringing the 8" riser all the way under the first row due to the height restraints of my screen position, it would put viewers eyeballs too high above center screen, so I'm going back to having the front row on the floor and keeping the riser behind. There's enough room in the back to bring in some chairs for when we want to 'pack the house'.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	v8b.JPG
Views:	346
Size:	328.0 KB
ID:	2473670   Click image for larger version

Name:	v8a.JPG
Views:	336
Size:	306.8 KB
ID:	2473672  
James92TSi and Daniel Chaves like this.
post #346 of 764 Old 10-26-2018, 05:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 583
With 4 kids in the house, definitely don't give up on having 6 seats. This seems like it should be a critical aspect of the theatre. What's the alternative... "sorry________, no room for you to watch with us tonight. Maybe next time!"

You can make seating for 6 happen in a number of ways, it'll just take a little more work. But IMO it will absolutely be worth the trouble. What's the hard constraint on the width measurement you set above, is that column to column?

Edit: just scrolled back up now that I'm not phone posting... so the 185" constraint is to keep some space around the sides for movement it seems. That's good, because at least it can be more of a "target" which you can exceed by some amount, rather than a hard wall-to-wall measurement where you have no flexibility.

I think Big might have pointed out the Fusion Lagoon 1011 as the more space-friendly design from Roman, and although there doesn't seem to be a 6-seat config on the site, by my (estimated) calcs you should be able to fit a loveseat and 4 chairs in either a straight config, or with angled armrests on either side of the loveseat for just about 185".

Edit2: My bad, it looks like the Jive 1012 is actually even narrower.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Last edited by OJ Bartley; 10-26-2018 at 06:27 AM.
post #347 of 764 Old 10-26-2018, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJ Bartley View Post
With 4 kids in the house, definitely don't give up on having 6 seats. This seems like it should be a critical aspect of the theatre. What's the alternative... "sorry________, no room for you to watch with us tonight. Maybe next time!"

You can make seating for 6 happen in a number of ways, it'll just take a little more work. But IMO it will absolutely be worth the trouble. What's the hard constraint on the width measurement you set above, is that column to column?

Edit: just scrolled back up now that I'm not phone posting... so the 185" constraint is to keep some space around the sides for movement it seems. That's good, because at least it can be more of a "target" which you can exceed by some amount, rather than a hard wall-to-wall measurement where you have no flexibility.

I think Big might have pointed out the Fusion Lagoon 1011 as the more space-friendly design from Roman, and although there doesn't seem to be a 6-seat config on the site, by my (estimated) calcs you should be able to fit a loveseat and 4 chairs in either a straight config, or with angled armrests on either side of the loveseat for just about 185".

Edit2: My bad, it looks like the Jive 1012 is actually even narrower.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Awesome, I think once I have the riser and columns taped out then i can feel 100% about the space. Computer renders and layouts are a huge help but nothing beats masking tape on the floor to give you a proper feel for a space.

Glad that i will have some choices even with my difficult space.

OJ Bartley likes this.
post #348 of 764 Old 10-26-2018, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Edge lit columns, paired with full height fabric panels. Most of the columns have a down-lit display shelf where I can place movie nik-naks, models etc. Pretty happy with this look...
If you haven't already, you may want to check out BrolicBeast's theater. He did edge lit panels and designed them so the actual lights weren't visible, just the wash. Your setup is a little different but it might give you some ideas on how to mount your lights.
post #349 of 764 Old 10-26-2018, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi940 View Post
If you haven't already, you may want to check out BrolicBeast's theater. He did edge lit panels and designed them so the actual lights weren't visible, just the wash. Your setup is a little different but it might give you some ideas on how to mount your lights.
Thanks I'll check out his approach, I've done similar stuff before on other projects where I recess the back of the fixture and then insert RGB LED strips so they fire out of the recess without you being able to see the light itself. All of the accent lighting will be wifi/app controlled RGB so I'll be able to completely change the color and brightness of every item either individually or as a group. I fyou look back at the bar build earlier in the thread you'll see how I used it there.
post #350 of 764 Old 10-26-2018, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I spoke with Roman from Fusion seating this morning and was happy to find that I can very easily work within my dimensions with a seat like the Fusion Jive. By keeping the center 4 seats straight and just toeing in the outermost, I can have a row of 6 individual seats in 176" width, if I choose to go with a love seat in the middle it comes down even further to 170". Keeping that width as tight as possible is going to help a lot with viewing angle and acoustics for those outer most seats too as well as obviously making passage along the sides of the theater much more open.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	v9b.JPG
Views:	1175
Size:	335.0 KB
ID:	2474066   Click image for larger version

Name:	v9a.JPG
Views:	1254
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	2474068   Click image for larger version

Name:	v9c.JPG
Views:	1212
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	2474096   Click image for larger version

Name:	v9d.JPG
Views:	1201
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	2474108  

Last edited by griffindodd; 10-26-2018 at 03:11 PM.
post #351 of 764 Old 10-26-2018, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Fun thread/build!

I got the Jives earlier this year. Their toe-in angle appears to me to be less than that of some other models (I had Berkeline 090 before).

My row of 4 seats,
I0V0I0V0I (just the outer two curved),
I find to not have as much angle toward the screen as I would like at the outer seats (seats are 10.5' from a 120" diagonal 16:9 screen).
I would have preferred I0V0V0V0I (all curved).

As such, I'd recommend only zero or 2 straight:
IOVOVOVOVOVOI (all curved; perhaps too wide for you)
or
IOVOVOOVOVOI (loveseat; all curved)
or
IOVOVOIOVOVOI (2 straight)

Last edited by twalt; 10-26-2018 at 01:06 PM.
post #352 of 764 Old 10-26-2018, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twalt View Post
Fun thread/build!

I got the Jives earlier this year. Their toe-in angle appears to me to be less than that of some other models (I had Berkeline 090 before).

My row of 4 seats,
I0V0I0V0I (just the outer two curved),
I find to not have as much angle toward the screen as I would like at the outer seats (seats are 10.5' from a 120" diagonal 16:9 screen).
I would have preferred I0V0V0V0I (all curved).

As such, I'd recommend only zero or 2 straight:
IOVOVOVOVOVOI (all curved; perhaps too wide for you)
or
IOVOVOOVOVOI (loveseat; all curved)
or
IOVOVOIOVOVOI (2 straight)
Thanks for this input, yes the angle is important so I'll definitely keep this in mind when I come to order my seats.

Here are the dimensions Roman sent me...

- curved set of 6 IOVOVOVOVOVOI ~183” wide
- curved set of 6 with the loveseat IOVOVOOVOVOI ~175” wide
- set of 6 with the outside chairs angled in IOVOIOIOIOVOI ~175.5” wide
- set of 6 with the outside chairs angled in and a loveseat IOVOIOOIOVOI ~170.25” wide
post #353 of 764 Old 10-27-2018, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
What size screen are you going with, I can't remember? This making me think m oi re about taking a wall down and making my room 21'x26'. I could fit a row of 6 like you are doing and build a bar behind it for party's. I like the renderings.
griffindodd likes this.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #354 of 764 Old 10-28-2018, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
What size screen are you going with, I can't remember? This making me think m oi re about taking a wall down and making my room 21'x26'. I could fit a row of 6 like you are doing and build a bar behind it for party's. I like the renderings.
I'm going with a 120" 16:9 AT screen.

Took a few hrs this weekend to build the first part of the rear riser.

ambesolman and Daniel Chaves like this.
post #355 of 764 Old 10-29-2018, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Put together a test column in about an hr.

1" pine all around, came to about $60 in materials to build a piece 84" tall, 12" wide and 8" deep, $35 less than you would pay for IKEA junk the same size (BILLY). I'll be hiding the surround speakers in these and displaying movie figurines etc

I'll shim them about 3/4" from the wall so I can run the LED strip behind them along the shims.

OJ Bartley and Daniel Chaves like this.

Last edited by griffindodd; 10-30-2018 at 08:50 AM.
post #356 of 764 Old 11-03-2018, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Another solid day of building under my belt, finished framing out the riser and stage areas.

Daniel Chaves likes this.
post #357 of 764 Old 11-03-2018, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Double R19 to make the 12" height of the riser, single R19 everywhere else.

James92TSi and Daniel Chaves like this.
post #358 of 764 Old 11-04-2018, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Riser complete...

Daniel Chaves likes this.
post #359 of 764 Old 11-04-2018, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter