Budget cinema build, covering advice desired. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-01-2018, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Budget cinema build, covering advice desired.

Greetings,

After buying all the kit over a year ago, I finally got round to putting our ghetto budget cinema room together. It's in alpha, and we've watched a few films - very pleased with the kit.

The carpet is black, and I've paneled the walls with the intention of covering them with black velvet; they currently have a hessian underlay. I was also planning on paneling the ceiling with the same material.

Now that we've watched a few films, I'm wondering if I should even bother with the velvet. The projector is a Benq W2000, so contrast is not the best - might it not make the blacks seem even grayer with a velvet backdrop?

If I don't use velvet, would I be best off painting the ceiling matte black? The projector is very close to the ceiling.

I'd appreciate feedback of those with some experience.

Russell
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180330_151618_1522601166814.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	2.84 MB
ID:	2383584   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180401_164336_1522601218974.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	2.91 MB
ID:	2383586   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180401_164321_1522601271720.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	3.01 MB
ID:	2383590   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180303_181635_1522601400750.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	3.34 MB
ID:	2383594  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-01-2018, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Depends...what are your goals with the room?

Follow my build here: Harvest Ridge Theater
post #3 of 6 Old 04-01-2018, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboranadum View Post
Depends...what are your goals with the room?
Well the room's only purpose is watching movies, so really I'm just aiming to get the image as decent as possible.

I'm not sure how much difference the coverings would make, but as the room is quite small, I wonder if a fair amount of surplus projector light is bouncing around.

I should add that this is my first projector, and I've never watched a projected film outside the cinema.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-01-2018, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Well, if you are heading into the territory of the purist, you're going to abhor light reflections. Even flat paint has a sheen. When I was building, Ralph Lauren's suede paint in flat black with 14oz of extra black per gallon was the best the could be reasonably done to remove sheen. I did it and have been very happy with the results. I did paint crown around the top. I painted the crown flat black and you can really see the sheen of the flat black paint next to the suede.

If you are also more of a purist, you're going to want to investigate some acoustical treatments to better tune the sound. Many employ acousticians to design the treatments. I used fabric coverings (no reflections) and acoustic treatments as directed by Bryan Pape (popular here).

Just beware...a purist's room is like searching for perfection. There's a breakover point for most folks where that last 2% costs 99% of the budget. Compromises will be required, but they should always be in line with your goals.

CJ

Follow my build here: Harvest Ridge Theater
post #5 of 6 Old 04-01-2018, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboranadum View Post
Well, if you are heading into the territory of the purist, you're going to abhor light reflections. Even flat paint has a sheen. When I was building, Ralph Lauren's suede paint in flat black with 14oz of extra black per gallon was the best the could be reasonably done to remove sheen. I did it and have been very happy with the results. I did paint crown around the top. I painted the crown flat black and you can really see the sheen of the flat black paint next to the suede.

If you are also more of a purist, you're going to want to investigate some acoustical treatments to better tune the sound. Many employ acousticians to design the treatments. I used fabric coverings (no reflections) and acoustic treatments as directed by Bryan Pape (popular here).

Just beware...a purist's room is like searching for perfection. There's a breakover point for most folks where that last 2% costs 99% of the budget. Compromises will be required, but they should always be in line with your goals.

CJ
I'm certainly not a purist, just figuring out where the sweet spot is for return on effort and cost. Velvet to cover the room would be about £800, so that's a fair whack.

Painting the ceiling black might be a good option. I do have some black velvet left over from a trial panel, so I could tack it onto the ceiling and see if it makes any difference.

With the projector lense being 5" from the ceiling, I notice white light across the ceiling, and wondered if it was having much impact.

I'm very happy with the sound in the room. I thought the ply panels might have made it sound off, but perhaps the hessian negates it.

I'm not going to go looking for problems, but I'm not overly fussy. 😉
post #6 of 6 Old 12-15-2019, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

I figured I'd post back after finally finishing the job. The devote worked out crazy expensive, so I ordered a load of samples from various places. One from eBay was just as good as the expensive stuff, at a fraction of the price. I covered the walls and ceilings and the room is completely devoid of reflected light.

I didn't post until I was done, just in case there were supply issues!

Hope this helps others in the same situation. Link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page