Mahuzz Theatre with enough bass even eng-399 approves - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 536Likes

post #451 of 473 Old 11-30-2019, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 822
Mahuzz Theatre with enough bass even eng-399 approves

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougUSMC View Post
Great build! I don't know how I missed it all this time, but subbed now!!

Hey it’s never to late to join the party and thanks for coming along for the ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DougUSMC likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 473 Old 12-01-2019, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Surrounds HT-8s

Okay first thing first if you are thinking about buying the HT series don’t think about it just buy them, they are amazing !! I got one finished but not painted just to try it out and WOW crystal clear and they pick up sounds I didn’t know are in show I was watching, so happy with this decision for my surrounds. Oh ya I bought 2 extra for upstairs to play as my speakers for tv watching, wife doesn’t know about that yet lol.

post #453 of 473 Old 12-05-2019, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Finally the electrical is completed now just an inspection and I will never have to worry about this again. Cleaned up all my speaker wires and label them all wire our new label maker that does flags for wires, the proper size labels for labeling your electrical panel and it does a ton more stuff for all different applications.
I had my best friend and his wife over this past weekend for a few drinks and he said can we listen to your system, I was quite surprised that he even asked because he has said “your are crazy, you have over done it, it’s way too much”. So I said sure, started off with some 2 channel music at about -20, some reggae, dance and classical, he was very impressed with the clarity and the over all sound. Then I put on some YouTube 5.1 demo stuff (no subs were hooked up) only had the LCRS and 2 rear atmos speakers as surround going. He couldn’t believe what he was hearing , he kept looking at me in amazement, he came out and said “I take back everything thing I have said and now I truly understand why you are doing this” I said just wait and come back when I add 11 more speakers and 6 subs, he said I will be the first in line for a ticket.
This is why we do this when a friend that has no clue about what we do or why we have this passion comes to the realization how could it can actually be. I am not doing this for friends but when they come over I want them to experience something that they will never experience anywhere else.

On a completely different note I am subcontracting for a company that does whole house automation and the owner of the company I am working for said I can have the Kaleidescape system in the up incoming year when their customer upgrades. I know it’s not 4K but I can put all my blu-rays on to, you can load 50 disks on the copier and it will copy them to the hard drive. It’s about a $25k system for free (yes out dated not 4K but who cares)

mikela, tjambro, luv2fly3 and 7 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #454 of 473 Old 12-06-2019, 07:25 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 114
What a great story about your friend's aha moment! I have had similar experiences in my old theater and like you said you dont build the theater for your friends but it does feel good when you are able to witness their disbelief. Good job sir!

A friend's wife once leaned over to her husband during a commercial movie presentation and said the bass is way better at my house. This was from a lady that was content streaming to her ipad. Lol

Congrats on the Kaleidoscope score!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Mahuzz13 likes this.
post #455 of 473 Old 12-06-2019, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I have had so much concern from my wife, in-laws oldest son saying you have gone to far it’s going to be to loud and so on, the only one that has supported me is my middle son because he has seen/heard what a home theatre can be like at Jarod’s aka @Jk7.2 and Jeremy’s @hd0823 GTG last year. He is pumped to what our first movie Batman Begins and so am I. I think once they actually sit in the seats and hear how clean the sound is the volume control can be a little higher because it doesn’t hurt your ears, that’s what they don’t understand.

tjambro, femi, brazensol and 1 others like this.
post #456 of 473 Old 12-06-2019, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
I know it’s not 4K but I can put all my blu-rays on to, you can load 50 disks on the copier and it will copy them to the hard drive. It’s about a $25k system for free (yes out dated not 4K but who cares)
Holy crap! Lol that's an amazing score. Who cares if it isn't 4K? But I mean if you start feeling bad about getting it for free and it's lack of 4K I'll give you my address and then you can send it to me to relieve your sadness.
tjambro likes this.

Roll Tide.
post #457 of 473 Old 12-06-2019, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3bham View Post
Holy crap! Lol that's an amazing score. Who cares if it isn't 4K? But I mean if you start feeling bad about getting it for free and it's lack of 4K I'll give you my address and then you can send it to me to relieve your sadness.

I am pretty sure my sadness will be gone fairly quickly when I see it in my rack and have all my blu-rays in the screen lol but I will keep you in mind if the sadness doesn’t go away lol.

tjambro, corradizo and p3bham like this.
post #458 of 473 Old 12-06-2019, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quoted: 1621 Post(s)
Liked: 2902
Man, it’s been fun watching your system take shape.
About your friends- that’s why I try so hard to have all my speakers hidden. Except for surrounds. So when I turn it up my friends, or whoever ends up in the theater, is amazed. It’s one thing having the AVS crew over, but definitely another thing when our friends who don’t ‘get it’ have the experience.
Now about you! Lol it’s so cool that I could be part of others builds, or at least part of supporting them by showing how I put my system together and many demos! 1st time I met Jeremy his room was all plywood and studs. Watching his room come together then getting to see it in person along the way was a blast. I can’t wait to see yours too!
tjambro, femi and Mahuzz13 like this.
post #459 of 473 Old 12-06-2019, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Jared for coming along the ride with me, you have help me along the way in so many different ways, answering all those newbie and stupid questions without hesitating so I thank you for that and allowing me to experience your incredible room, now with your upgrades I’m going to have to come down to experience next level movie experience all over again. As for speakers there will be not be one showing, the atmos speakers will be not be showing but they will have a cover on them so they will blend a little. I want that same experience, when someone sits in the seat for the first time and they don’t know what’s about to happen and they are blown away and they won’t ever leave lol I will be very happy/satisfied that all the hard work has paid off.

tjambro, brazensol and Jk7.2 like this.
post #460 of 473 Old 12-06-2019, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahuzz13 View Post
I have had so much concern from my wife, in-laws oldest son saying you have gone to far it’s going to be to loud and so on, the only one that has supported me is my middle son because he has seen/heard what a home theatre can be like at Jarod’s aka @Jk7.2 and Jeremy’s @hd0823 GTG last year. He is pumped to what our first movie Batman Begins and so am I. I think once they actually sit in the seats and hear how clean the sound is the volume control can be a little higher because it doesn’t hurt your ears, that’s what they don’t understand.

You just don't even realize the soundtrack as being loud until you turn to talk to someone in the back row and realize you almost have to shout to make yourself heard (and this not even on the high intensity action scenes)! But while watching the movie it doesn't seem loud at all and there is no harshness either.

I was worried my wife would complain about it being too loud and I've yet to hear her complain even at times when I think she might.
Mahuzz13 likes this.

Denali Cinema
JVC-RS540, 124" Wide 2.40:1 DIY Screen, Denon 8500H, Denon 6200W, Panasonic UB820 UHD Player, (3) iNuke 6000DSP; (2) iNuke NX3000D; (3) HTM-12; (14) RSL C34e surrounds; (2) 18" DA RSS460HO-4 Subwoofers; (1) DA UM18-22 18" Ultimax Subwoofer; (4) DA RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofers; BOSS Platform - (12) 12" Subwoofers
post #461 of 473 Old 12-06-2019, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So doing mass production on the HT8s today, should have them all built and tested except for my wide channels which I have to modify so they will sit in the columns at the proper angle, not going to be easy but I hope it works. I am going to shorten one side by 2-2.5” and lengthen the other side the same as what I take off and then put the ports out the sides since they will hit the back wall on the one side, in theory this should work. I am also at a crossroads do I waste time painting these since they will never be seen or spend the time to make they look good for no apparent reason lol? I will take any feedback good or bad on this one.

femi and OJ Bartley like this.
post #462 of 473 Old 12-06-2019, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Only paint them if they will be visible through your fabric...or if your OCD won't allow you to sleep at night...

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
femi, brazensol, Mahuzz13 and 1 others like this.
post #463 of 473 Old 12-06-2019, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Wow Duane, you picked up a $25k Kaleidescape system for free? That's going to make such a cool addition. Your theatre is going to be one of the ones people are in awe of... the QSCs, the SIX huge subs... I'm definitely looking forward to auditioning everything in person. And like we talked about, having guests come in unaware, and then leave totally impressed with what you've put together is a great feeling, and a great way to spread the fever!

Keep on those surround speakers, you'll have them whipped together in no time. Oh, and I'd give them a basic finish. One round of fill & sand, then prime and hit them with a coat of black. You won't regret it.
Mahuzz13 likes this.
post #464 of 473 Old 12-06-2019, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 2212 Post(s)
Liked: 931
Quote:

That concern comes from only experiencing home theater in a standard room, or a commercial movie complex, where the room suffers from a relatively high noise floor. I personally doubt 5% of AVS'ers have experienced a
room with a low noise floor, so the more typical laymen and laywomen have no clue about what's possible at the higher end. They also have zero understanding of multiple subs as "tools" to deal with room nodal issues, or
placement issues, nor dynamic range of a movie sound track. Even seat time in an acoustically treated room is almost non existent, as is fine tuning a room with room eq.
post #465 of 473 Old 12-06-2019, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 1280 Post(s)
Liked: 1544
@Mahuzz

Why not just do external ports? They dont "HAVE" to be inside the speaker? They can exist out the baffle down or up if that helps...

Someone did a VBSS with a chimney looking port coming out the top instead of the normal ones....

My Setup | Custom MiniDSP Build | FS: If its For Sale, find it all (here)
Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
post #466 of 473 Old 12-06-2019, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
@Mahuzz

Why not just do external ports? They dont "HAVE" to be inside the speaker? They can exist out the baffle down or up if that helps...

Someone did a VBSS with a chimney looking port coming out the top instead of the normal ones....

If you have an example or draw me what you are talking about I could give it a try for sure

post #467 of 473 Old 12-06-2019, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
If you have an example or draw me what you are talking about I could give it a try for sure

If I understand correctly, set a piece of pipe (port material) on the outside of the box in the desired location, then drill the hole for it. It can stick out of the cabinet part of the way, all the way or whatever distance you need to clear your obstacle (either inside the box or outside the box or both).
post #468 of 473 Old 12-06-2019, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks that makes a lot more sense.

post #469 of 473 Old 12-06-2019, 07:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 1280 Post(s)
Liked: 1544
Quote:
Thanks that makes a lot more sense.

Sorry for explaining that horribly lol....

I was in my way out the door at work...

My Setup | Custom MiniDSP Build | FS: If its For Sale, find it all (here)
Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
post #470 of 473 Old 12-06-2019, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hey np at all just didn’t understand and I figured you or someone else would point me in the right direction lol

EndersShadow likes this.
post #471 of 473 Old Yesterday, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mahuzz Theatre with enough bass even eng-399 approves

So my mouth dropped when I walked downstairs and saw the whole basement was cleaned up by my oldest son. He thought it would be nice not have to worry about it when I got home to rush around doing that before tomorrow’s electrical inspection. So here is a quick glimpse of what it is shaping up to look like.

Big day Saturday driving down to Niagara Falls NY to my shipping address to pick up a few things: Marantz 7705, Centre Stage XD screen, 10 yards of velvet to go around the screen and a small section on the side wall, a bunch of speakers connectors and wire, last but not least the Minidsp 2x4hd with remote and wifi adapter (which I am going to need HELP with setting all this up).

4fit?, OJ Bartley, Lynkage and 4 others like this.

Last edited by Mahuzz13; Yesterday at 05:55 PM.
post #472 of 473 Old Yesterday, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Dude I LOVE how the concealed speakers in the columns turned out, they look amazing. I'm sad I can't make the run to the border with you, I'd love to get a peek at that Marantz and some of the other goodies you have coming.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Mahuzz13 likes this.
post #473 of 473 Old Yesterday, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJ Bartley View Post
Dude I LOVE how the concealed speakers in the columns turned out, they look amazing. I'm sad I can't make the run to the border with you, I'd love to get a peek at that Marantz and some of the other goodies you have coming.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Thanks Owen

You have more important this to be looking after right now but I would of loved for you to tag along across the boarder, if I had time I would stop by to check the progress of your basement.

OJ Bartley likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page