Mahuzz Theatre with enough bass even eng-399 approves - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 693Likes

post #121 of 573 Old 10-14-2018, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd0823 View Post
Looks great I like your style

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Once I heard yours it was game over I had to have them and just got lucky a guy was selling the parts worked out perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jk7.2 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 573 Old 10-22-2018, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well the most frustrating thing has happened and I’m sure I’m not the only one that this has happened to with a contractor of some sort.

I paid decent money for a guy to come in to do all the taping and mudding if the whole basement, he did a fairly good job but not perfect. He said prime all the walls which I did and he will come back and fix all the deficiencies that come up. We I called him when I was done and he gives me some lame excuse that he’s at the doctors and his shoulders are no good anymore and he has canceled his next jobs until he does some physio, lame f’in excuse. Anyways now for the last 5+ nights and weekends days I’ve been doing all the touch ups myself and man do I hate it, everywhere I turn I see another area that needs fixing, it seems like it’s never going to end. So frustrated, I could of had the whole basement painted and started on the floors, columns and fabric design, but no I’m still mudding and sanding.

post #123 of 573 Old 10-22-2018, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Quoted: 1667 Post(s)
Liked: 3007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahuzz13 View Post
Well the most frustrating thing has happened and I’m sure I’m not the only one that this has happened to with a contractor of some sort.

I paid decent money for a guy to come in to do all the taping and mudding if the whole basement, he did a fairly good job but not perfect. He said prime all the walls which I did and he will come back and fix all the deficiencies that come up. We I called him when I was done and he gives me some lame excuse that he’s at the doctors and his shoulders are no good anymore and he has canceled his next jobs until he does some physio, lame f’in excuse. Anyways now for the last 5+ nights and weekends days I’ve been doing all the touch ups myself and man do I hate it, everywhere I turn I see another area that needs fixing, it seems like it’s never going to end. So frustrated, I could of had the whole basement painted and started on the floors, columns and fabric design, but no I’m still mudding and sanding.

Well, the first half of the story is exactly how it’s done in construction. The tapers do what they can, it all gets primed, then they can see where there’s issues with a bright light.
The second half sucks. He should be doing touch ups for you. Or giving back a portion of the money he got. This is a bummer.
If you are doing your own touch ups, I’ll make a suggestion. Tint your mud with a small amount of chalk from a chalk line. That way it will stand out what’s been re coated, and you won’t miss it when you need to sand and prime it again. White on white is hard to see!
Mahuzz13 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 573 Old 10-22-2018, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Jared
About the chalk idea I thought about that after I did my first touch up when I tried to find all the spots.

post #125 of 573 Old 10-23-2018, 05:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 841
I hope that you were able to reclaim some money on that, at least... I suppose the upside to this is that you are the one doing it, so it will absolutely be done right to the best of your abilities.

Mahuzz13 likes this.

Aaron H.
post #126 of 573 Old 10-23-2018, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yes he did refund the last payment which was good on him. You are correct it is being done right but slowly lol.
I think I will be done as of tonight with my last sand. My wife said last night there is not one wall in our house that is perfect so do the obvious and if you haven’t noticed it yet then no one will, I said ok but I know she will be the first one to notice something lol and say “how did you miss that.”

Jk7.2 likes this.
post #127 of 573 Old 10-23-2018, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Little update should be painting tonight and hopefully be done the basement by Sunday.

Picked up a MA rack from a AVSer @Tedd , thanks so much it will fit perfectly in the spot.

I also got a screaming deal in a new table saw which I will be using for the rest of my speakers and columns

eng-399 likes this.
post #128 of 573 Old 10-23-2018, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 2245 Post(s)
Liked: 958
Screaming deal on the rack too

I was going to cut it down in height for use in a media room, but a local used WRK came up for $200, so we both
got cheap upgrades. I already had shelves and wire management gear, so out they came and went into the Slim5.
Happy to see it found a good home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MA1.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	2472232  
post #129 of 573 Old 10-23-2018, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yes it was a screaming good deal for sure forgot to mention that as well

post #130 of 573 Old 10-28-2018, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well after a lot of deliberations (yelling and screaming) my wife and I finally agreed on column and fabric colour. She does not like a lot of contrast so we decide to go with the grey family, grey suede fabric and stone from Benjamin Moore

James Elvick and eng-399 like this.
post #131 of 573 Old 01-18-2019, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mahuzz Theatre with enough bass even eng-399 approves

Well it’s been a long needed break from the basement and now I am trying to be back in the basement at least 3-4 nights a week for a few hours.

So what has been done the main part of the basement (not the theatre has been painted except for our fireplace room going with a different colour which hasn’t been decided yet.

We have decided on a fabric design borrowed from @brazensol (thank you for your details on construction of the design)
we will be going with the colours mentioned in the above post though.

So not knowing what we were going to do as a design it would of been a lot easier putting the chip board behind the drywall but who know I needed somewhere to screw or nail down all the framing need for this design.
There is a column going in that blank space

As for the back wall I built some framing for the fabric and to cover the 2 rear subs and 2 rear surrounds (no columns just going behind fabric)

In between the 2 jut outs there will be 4” of fluffy insulation and all the rest of the empty space where there is no speaker or sub will be filled with fluffy insulation. If anyone has a better idea please let me know like some diffusion somewhere at the back I will put it no problem.

I also decided I will be closing off my equipment rack with the same fabric design but on hinges. The only concern I had was I didn’t want to have to open the panel every time I want to watch a movie so I decided to put the OPPO at the end of the back bar. Well guess what platform is finished and no conduit running there so I cut open the platform and ran conduit do if the HDMI cable stops working I can easily replace it.

brazensol likes this.
post #132 of 573 Old 01-18-2019, 11:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Well it’s been a long needed break from the basement and now I am trying to be back in the basement at least 3-4 nights a week for a few hours.

So what has been done the main part of the basement (not the theatre has been painted except for our fireplace room going with a different colour which hasn’t been decided yet.

We have decided on a fabric design borrowed from @brazensol (thank you for your details on construction of the design)
we will be going with the colours mentioned in the above post though.

So not knowing what we were going to do as a design it would of been a lot easier putting the chip board behind the drywall but who know I needed somewhere to screw or nail down all the framing need for this design.
There is a column going in that blank space

As for the back wall I built some framing for the fabric and to cover the 2 rear subs and 2 rear surrounds (no columns just going behind fabric)

In between the 2 jut outs there will be 4” of fluffy insulation and all the rest of the empty space where there is no speaker or sub will be filled with fluffy insulation. If anyone has a better idea please let me know like some diffusion somewhere at the back I will put it no problem.

I also decided I will be closing off my equipment rack with the same fabric design but on hinges. The only concern I had was I didn’t want to have to open the panel every time I want to watch a movie so I decided to put the OPPO at the end of the back bar. Well guess what platform is finished and no conduit running there so I cut open the platform and ran conduit do if the HDMI cable stops working I can easily replace it.

I'd put a steep strap on the side of the cutout to restore the removed area.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
post #133 of 573 Old 01-19-2019, 04:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hey Kenny thanks for noticing that and stopping by, just to let you know before putting the plywood back down I did reinforce the wood but I didn’t take a picture of that.

kennyandersen likes this.
post #134 of 573 Old 01-20-2019, 12:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 570 Post(s)
Quoted: 2457 Post(s)
Liked: 5114
post #135 of 573 Old 01-20-2019, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eng-399 View Post
Going to work in the new Nearfield box for you Monday when I’m off work. I keep getting side tracked

Hey Mike whenever you have time, thanks

post #136 of 573 Old 01-28-2019, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Got some more motivation to get the basement and home theatre done. Just got back from an amazing GTG in Michigan at JK7.2 and hd0823 homes and all I can say WOW what incredible theatres they have.

Well I was also inspired to pick up a cyclone dust collector after seeing what @Oklahomie got and it saved me over 150$ when I passed by a Menards (don’t have that up here in Toronto) come home from Michigan.

I have tried it out and I got to say it works perfectly, no more dust bags or filter changes.

femi, brazensol and Oklahomie like this.
post #137 of 573 Old 01-28-2019, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:
Got some more motivation to get the basement and home theatre done. Just got back from an amazing GTG in Michigan at JK7.2 and hd0823 homes and all I can say WOW what incredible theatres they have.

Well I was also inspired to pick up a cyclone dust collector after seeing what @Oklahomie got and it saved me over 150$ when I passed by a Menards (don’t have that up here in Toronto) come home from Michigan.

I have tried it out and I got to say it works perfectly, no more dust bags or filter changes.

I KNEW you'd be right back to work after that inspirational trip! Glad the cyclone works. Did you check the price on Titebond when you got home?

Looking forward to seeing your progress in here!

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
post #138 of 573 Old 01-28-2019, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 841
Quote:

This is awesome! I'm glad I could be of inspiration. I'm excited to see you hammer away at more progress

Aaron H.
post #139 of 573 Old 02-04-2019, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
I don’t have any fancy software for the sketch of the room so here is a basic layout and there has been a few changes, like there will be rough in for 6 atmos and also have wides. It doesn’t show the nearfield behind the second row or the back subs
Hi Mahuzz,

Firstly, just wanted to sday what a great build in progress and the 2150's look amazing too!

I'm really looking forward to seeing this finished, probably just as much as you are!

So, I just wanted to ask you about your sub placement decision if I may as I myself am looking at doing something similar in my room regarding sub placement:

You have chosen the 4 corner locations of the room (well almost corner or quarter point along the front and back walls) for the subs (leaving aside the sidewall nearfield subs for the moment).

Was this a deliberate decision based on the seating location of your MLP which is near enough to center of the room?

Conventional wisdom usually notes that the room center point is the worst place to sit for bass response IF the subs are located only at front or back of room. But I assume this is NOT the case when subs are placed at the four room corners or near to them? In that case the room center becomes the best place to sit?

Any comments on this, did you model the room and sub-seating placement in REW Room sim or anything like that?

Thanks in advance for your time

Cheers

Sean
Mahuzz13 likes this.
post #140 of 573 Old 02-04-2019, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hey Sean thanks for stopping but and checking my build out and for the kind words.

As for my thought process on sub location and design it is all Mike’s fault @eng-399 , going to his GTG in Chicago about a year and a half ago I go blown away with his set up and I said I want that. He didn’t have a bad seat in the room or his house lol there is tactical feeling everywhere in his room and then you get annihilated when you sit in the second row where his 6 15” tip you apart. And that is why Mike’s name is in my build threat.

Mike’s room

I wanted to put the subs in all 4 corners but I needed the separation for my QSCs up front and with 8 18’s I do not think I will have a bad seat in the room.

I have not done any REW and honestly do not know how lol

Hope that helps a little.

Duane

SuperFist and eng-399 like this.
post #141 of 573 Old 02-04-2019, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

A good place to start is by using a room mode calculator, or a subwoofer placement calculator. These will help you determine and visualize where you are likely to experience nulls based on the size of your room, and where your speakers (subs) are placed.

Most of us don't have a ton of flexibility to truly place subs optimally within a room, but at least you can play with one of these and get an idea of whether or not your chosen locations will give you trouble at your planned listening position. If so, maybe you can move either seats or speakers a little bit to see if there is some improvement.

Generally, throwing multiple subs into different places in a room helps to even out the sound, because each location will have different peaks and nulls.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Rjloper9 likes this.
post #142 of 573 Old 02-06-2019, 06:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Thank You Mahuzz13 and OJ Bartley,

The replies are much appreciated and contain very useful info for some of us.

Much appreciated.

Cheers

Sean
post #143 of 573 Old 02-10-2019, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Just a quick update on what’s going on in the theatre. I got 90% of all the framing done for the 1.5” linacoustic to go into place, boxed all my plugs so I can staple the fabric around the outlet and the outlet cover will hide the staples Had to cut into the drywall for my wide channel inset so the column doesn’t stick out to far to block the screen for the people sitting closest to the wall.

Up next finish the framing for the fabric and then buy some mdf to start building the columns

OJ Bartley likes this.
post #144 of 573 Old 02-11-2019, 08:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 160 Post(s)
Quoted: 891 Post(s)
Liked: 1692
Quote:
Just a quick update on what’s going on in the theatre. I got 90% of all the framing done for the 1.5” linacoustic to go into place, boxed all my plugs so I can staple the fabric around the outlet and the outlet cover will hide the staples Had to cut into the drywall for my wide channel inset so the column doesn’t stick out to far to block the screen for the people sitting closest to the wall.

Up next finish the framing for the fabric and then buy some mdf to start building the columns

Looking good your at the point where stuff will move faster now.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Mahuzz13 likes this.
post #145 of 573 Old 03-05-2019, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I was going to start a separate thread on what I am going to show you but I said why it’s going in my theatre so that’s where I’m putting it lol.

I saw this picture

diffuser panel and I said I could make that so I gave it a shot.

The first thing I had to do was modify mine to fit underneath my fabric without it showing through. That diffuser in that picture is for a 2” depth and I had to make mine for 1 1/2” depth. The dimensions of each piece glued together in the picture is a 3” square making the whole diffuser 1’x1’. I wanted the same finished dimensions so I had to some trial and error with some scrap pieces of wood and this is what I came up with. The 2 pieces glued together was a 2” square, the length was 2” and the width was 1 7/16” both edges cut on a 45. So the 2 pieces glued together will make a height of 1” and then the backer board the pieces get glue to will make up the extra 1/2” needed for the 1 1/2” finished height.

Sorry forgot to mention I’m sing 1/2 material.

I am sure using MDF or plywood would be a lot easier but I have a ton of 1/2” particle board lying around so I decided to use that (not nice to work with but cheap).

Since I did the trial and error I got my fence on my table saw set at the right width to make long strip before I cut them into 2” long pieces. I didn’t work with full 4x8 sheets I had some odd sizes lying around which made it easy and fast to cut the strips. I am not sure how many I am going to need but I will be starting with 10 which means 720 2” pieces I have to cut, 72 per 1’sq board. I did make the board 12”x13.75” so I would have a tab on each side so I could screw it to the wall.

I will be putting 2 on either side of each column stacked vertically at ear height and above. If anyone disagrees with this place let me know please.

Okay so I don’t have a fancy sled for my table saw so I made something really quick cause the cuts don’t have to perfect. I screwed a 2”X2” to my mitre and it butted it up to the blade and then clamped a little longer 2x2 to the other 2x2 and butted it up to my fence. Lowered the blade to just over 1/2”, the reason for the second 2x2 butted up against the fence is to push the cut pieces passed the blade.

As you will see in the pictures I put the strips on the 45 against the mitre which was the most secure way of pushing them through. As you cut the pieces please be aware of your hands do to the blade comes through the other side of the push board.

As I was cutting the pieces they build up fast and instead of the falling on the floor I set up a bucket to catch the pieces.

After cutting all the backer I marked the longer side 3/4” in and used my speed square to run a straight line so when starting the glueing process I had a way to keep the pieces straight. I glued both edges of the 2 pieces and started the process all 72.

I will be putting another below that one at ear level.

This shows the diffuser panel is at the same height as my framing for the fabric.

Now only 9 more to go.....

Edit: I posted in the Masters Acoustic Treatment thread and @mcallister wanted to learn how to build this, so I hope this helped

Last edited by Mahuzz13; 03-05-2019 at 08:10 PM.
post #146 of 573 Old 03-06-2019, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

These turned out great! Really nice work. I'm very interested to see how they change the sound in the room. I have a shortage of depth for wall treatments, and definitely want to include diffusion in my room, so I'll be watching this project.
Mahuzz13 likes this.
post #147 of 573 Old 03-06-2019, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks, very tedious but easy to do for sure. I will definitely do a sound comparison with them in and out to see if there is an actual difference. I have been told they are suppose to fill the sound field in the room but who knows, there hasn’t been any real comparisons of before and after that I know of.

OJ Bartley likes this.
post #148 of 573 Old 03-12-2019, 07:26 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 128
This is very cool! Thanks for the excellent write up!
post #149 of 573 Old 03-29-2019, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Column update:

Well after many weeks of deciding what I wanted the columns to look like so I have decided to steal the exact design @Oklahomie except for the sconces of The Ashton Cove Theatre Build. He has sent me everything for these columns and I was over thinking it as usual and I finally not the first one out tonight, dry fitted it just to make sure it’s good to go. I used 3/4” finger jointed pine and put it all together with the Kreg jig Pocket hole. I am not fully installing it until all my linacoustics and fabric has been installed. I have left about a 1/8” on either side of the column for the fabric to fit in. You will see I framed the inside with about 3/4” all around so when I insert the 1/2” piece of plywood panel wrapped in fabric it will have a place for it to stop and somewhere I can put velcro (that will happen a little later once all the columns are built)

More to come Sunday

post #150 of 573 Old 03-29-2019, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked: 749
Quote:
Column update:

Well after many weeks of deciding what I wanted the columns to look like so I have decided to steal the exact design @Oklahomie except for the sconces of The Ashton Cove Theatre Build. He has sent me everything for these columns and I was over thinking it as usual and I finally not the first one out tonight, dry fitted it just to make sure it’s good to go.
Congratulations. Wasn't until my mid-forties that I finally realized other people were just as smart (and sometimes even more smarterer) than me. Wasted a lot of time reinventing the wheel.
Mahuzz13 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page