I was going to start a separate thread on what I am going to show you but I said why it’s going in my theatre so that’s where I’m putting it lol.
I saw this picture
diffuser panel and I said I could make that so I gave it a shot.
The first thing I had to do was modify mine to fit underneath my fabric without it showing through. That diffuser in that picture is for a 2” depth and I had to make mine for 1 1/2” depth. The dimensions of each piece glued together in the picture is a 3” square making the whole diffuser 1’x1’. I wanted the same finished dimensions so I had to some trial and error with some scrap pieces of wood and this is what I came up with. The 2 pieces glued together was a 2” square, the length was 2” and the width was 1 7/16” both edges cut on a 45. So the 2 pieces glued together will make a height of 1” and then the backer board the pieces get glue to will make up the extra 1/2” needed for the 1 1/2” finished height.
Sorry forgot to mention I’m sing 1/2 material.
I am sure using MDF or plywood would be a lot easier but I have a ton of 1/2” particle board lying around so I decided to use that (not nice to work with but cheap).
Since I did the trial and error I got my fence on my table saw set at the right width to make long strip before I cut them into 2” long pieces. I didn’t work with full 4x8 sheets I had some odd sizes lying around which made it easy and fast to cut the strips. I am not sure how many I am going to need but I will be starting with 10 which means 720 2” pieces I have to cut, 72 per 1’sq board. I did make the board 12”x13.75” so I would have a tab on each side so I could screw it to the wall.
I will be putting 2 on either side of each column stacked vertically at ear height and above. If anyone disagrees with this place let me know please.
Okay so I don’t have a fancy sled for my table saw so I made something really quick cause the cuts don’t have to perfect. I screwed a 2”X2” to my mitre and it butted it up to the blade and then clamped a little longer 2x2 to the other 2x2 and butted it up to my fence. Lowered the blade to just over 1/2”, the reason for the second 2x2 butted up against the fence is to push the cut pieces passed the blade.
As you will see in the pictures I put the strips on the 45 against the mitre which was the most secure way of pushing them through. As you cut the pieces please be aware of your hands do to the blade comes through the other side of the push board.
As I was cutting the pieces they build up fast and instead of the falling on the floor I set up a bucket to catch the pieces.
After cutting all the backer I marked the longer side 3/4” in and used my speed square to run a straight line so when starting the glueing process I had a way to keep the pieces straight. I glued both edges of the 2 pieces and started the process all 72.
I will be putting another below that one at ear level.
This shows the diffuser panel is at the same height as my framing for the fabric.
Now only 9 more to go.....
Edit: I posted in the Masters Acoustic Treatment thread and
wanted to learn how to build this, so I hope this helped
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk