Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #31 of 37 Old 04-30-2018, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You get Bosch SDS-Plus Bulldog Xtreme for $179 at Lowes at the moment. It is also a rotary hammer. Rotary Hammer drill thru concrete like butter. You can use it to break concrete though not efficient as big jackhammer. You can also use it to remove tiles, and scrape/chisel mortar after tile removed. It is a versatile tool.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 04-30-2018, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 21
highmodulus said it a lot more eloquently than i would have. i'm a retired electrical contractor

imo... many building inspectors are arrogant failed wanna be contractors that have let what little authority they have go to their heads. i will say this, don't piss the building department off or you will spend a lot of time and money rebuilding what you have, over and over again. the building department can make a homeowners life hell.
bluewaves likes this.

science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
post #33 of 37 Old 04-30-2018, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohlgren View Post
highmodulus said it a lot more eloquently than i would have. i'm a retired electrical contractor

imo... many building inspectors are arrogant failed wanna be contractors that have let what little authority they have go to their heads. i will say this, don't piss the building department off or you will spend a lot of time and money rebuilding what you have, over and over again. the building department can make a homeowners life hell.
I was under assumption that building inspectors are Architects, no? The fire inspectors are night and day different. They listened to questions, provided inputs, and conducted themselves in utmost professionalism.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 37 Old 05-01-2018, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Well I can say with experience that, at this point in my life, I have drilled thousands of holes in concrete. Mainly for concrete research at work. Ive used battery powered units (DeWalt) and several plug in varieties. Three variables in this equation. 1. what type of concrete your drilling into. 2. impact energy of the hammer drill. 3 quality of the bit.

Normal (current) residential concrete will be around 4000psi with higher end concrete approaching or exceeding 5000psi. The newer the concrete typically the better quality it is (advancement in technology at the batch plant). older concrete or in rural areas you might have 3000psi. So, concrete is not just concrete. Same as sawing soft woods versus hard woods. Soft stuff (3000 psi) will go faster.

little hammer drills and cheap ones don't have the impact energy to bore their way through like the big guys. Something with 2 ft-lb or higher will make life real easy

Get one that uses an SDS bit! SDS is a quick connect style for max torque. BUT the drill has to be made for SDS bits! For an SDS bit my favorite has been Bosch ($15-$30). If you want super high tech get a Hilti bit. They are hollow and attach to a shop vac = no dust. ($100 each)

One hint with the bigger hammer drills they can snap off skinny bits in the concrete = lots of curse words and misery getting it out. Advance about one inch at a time, pull the bit back to clear the flights. Then go back to bite off another inch.
When drilling holes for tapcons, the corded Makita (2.1 ft-lb) I use can drill a perfect hole with the full 7 inch bit in maybe 15 seconds.
post #35 of 37 Old 05-01-2018, 08:56 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 436 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5842 Post(s)
Liked: 5413
Quote:
Originally Posted by nith View Post
I was under assumption that building inspectors are Architects, no?
No, High school degree, work experience in architecture, engineering or construction, job specific training and certification, and in many counties knowing someone important in county government who can pull strings and get you in the door.
post #36 of 37 Old 05-03-2018, 06:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by nith View Post
Greeting guys...

I have a question that I try to understand. I pulled a permit to renovate my basement to use as apartment. I gutted everything down to concrete. However, the permit has expired so today I went to pay for a new permit. The Building Inspector asked me what I have done so far. I said I have not got any inspection done yet. So far I had just finished putting up rigid foam - Owens Corning Foamular 250 board. He replied with a condescending tone "take it off, that is insulation and I have not done the framing inspection yet." I said I cannot put the rigid foam up after the framing. The rigid foam has to go up first. He kept saying take it off and refused to listen to my explanation why it has to go up first. He does not seem to want to listen to me, and became agitated although I did not raise my voice. I kept my composure and pleaded for him to give me a chance to explain. He went on saying "I am busy...I dont have time for this". I said just 5 minutes?

This is the right way to insulate the basement, and the inspector should have no problem as long as you add insulation between the studs to get the right R value according to local code. When you said "Owens Corning" the guy probably thought you put the pink fiberglass on the walls and not the styrofoam panels. He has probably seen homeowners do all sorts of weird things, which is probably whey he was so dismissive.
post #37 of 37 Old 05-04-2018, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malba2366 View Post
This is the right way to insulate the basement, and the inspector should have no problem as long as you add insulation between the studs to get the right R value according to local code. When you said "Owens Corning" the guy probably thought you put the pink fiberglass on the walls and not the styrofoam panels. He has probably seen homeowners do all sorts of weird things, which is probably whey he was so dismissive.
He knew what I was talking about. He implied that rigid foam board is insulation and he suggested me to "google" it. From what I can tell, he is either...

1. He knows about the product but does not how it is being used.

2. He knows about the product and he knows how it is being used, but he decides to exercise his power and puts me to a ringer.

3. He knows about the product and he considers it purely insulation. So as insulation, it cannot be up before rough framing inspection.

#3 was his line of thinking. Being a building inspector, he failed bigly in term of construction 101.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page