• 1 Post By mustang5o

post #1 of 15 Old 05-11-2018, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Mustang5o Home Theater 2.0

I've been working on the room for about 3 1/2 months now. I decided it's time to start posting some pictures. My first dedicated HT room was an existing room that I painted dark brown and setup my system in it. It worked but nothing overly special. So I'm in a new house (well over a year now) and I'm finally getting the home theater going. I decide to do a better job on this one and I decided to update my projector, screen, speakers and receiver...so basicially the whole system. The goal is go with 11.2 channel Atmost\DTS:X system though the ceiling speakers may be part of what I call phase 2. The screen is going to 120" wide spandex 2.39:1 screen with speakers mounted behind it. I'm getting dedicated theater seats this time instead of re purposed living room furniture. I'm also planning good sound treatments (probably another phase 2 item.

Phase 1: Turning an existing non-conforming bedroom\office into a dedicated theater room. This included removing a closet, taping and mudding VOG drywall, adding knockdown texture to hide all my crappy drywall work and painting the drop ceiling and front wall black and the other walls gray. Then setting up HT seating, new screen and equipment. I will also be replacing 4 florescent light fixtures and replacing with recessed LED lights.

"Like a Ninja, only better!"

Current HT Room Build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-11-2018, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

A couple of early pictures from the start of demolishing the closet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KEgAM6z - Imgur.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	276.0 KB
ID:	2401388   Click image for larger version

Name:	qs1Dpz2 - Imgur.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	298.7 KB
ID:	2401390   Click image for larger version

Name:	vS96kZP - Imgur.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	377.7 KB
ID:	2401392  

Current HT Room Build

Last edited by mustang5o; 05-11-2018 at 08:31 AM.
post #3 of 15 Old 05-11-2018, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Since I didn't really know how to do joint compound I decided to install the new lights while I was waiting for a little help from my friends. The space between joists and ceiling tiles is barely 5" so normal can lights wouldn't work. Found some all in one LED lights at Menards. They are a little more expensive but they did the trick. Also added a Lutron smart dimmer to connect it in to my smart home system. Need it to be black of course so I paid a bit more than I would have wanted. If only the GE smart switches came in black. Although there was no neutral in this location so I guess it worked out for the best. I'll eventually get a new Harmony remote and hub to further integrate the home theater.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ledlightsinstalled.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	269.7 KB
ID:	2401402   Click image for larger version

Name:	lutrondimmer.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	207.5 KB
ID:	2401404   Click image for larger version

Name:	lutrondimmer2.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	279.3 KB
ID:	2401406  

Current HT Room Build

Last edited by mustang5o; 05-11-2018 at 08:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 05-11-2018, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Finally some progress on mudding. This channel left in the wall where the closet is almost dead center on the back wall. Perfect spot to run cables through.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mudprogress.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	251.0 KB
ID:	2401408   Click image for larger version

Name:	cablechannel.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	273.5 KB
ID:	2401410   Click image for larger version

Name:	cablechannelcovered.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	241.6 KB
ID:	2401412  

Current HT Room Build
post #5 of 15 Old 05-11-2018, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Knockdown texture added. Primer done.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	textureadded.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	722.8 KB
ID:	2401416   Click image for larger version

Name:	primerdone.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	350.2 KB
ID:	2401418  

Current HT Room Build
post #6 of 15 Old 05-11-2018, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Painting done and outlets replaced with black outlets and covers. Waiting for new carpet...which is actually being installed while I type this.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	paintdoneoutlets.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	415.1 KB
ID:	2401420   Click image for larger version

Name:	paintdonecables.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	498.9 KB
ID:	2401422  

Current HT Room Build
post #7 of 15 Old 05-11-2018, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 484
For what it is worth, my favorite drywall videos on YouTube are here. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7W...avxCLWQ/videos This guy clearly is a pro. He makes it look effortless. His techniques are straightforward and simple. I wish that I could be half as good as he is.
mustang5o likes this.
post #8 of 15 Old 05-11-2018, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveClement View Post
For what it is worth, my favorite drywall videos on YouTube are here. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7W...avxCLWQ/videos This guy clearly is a pro. He makes it look effortless. His techniques are straightforward and simple. I wish that I could be half as good as he is.
Thanks. I'll reference these on my next project. Though if the money is there I'll just pay someone for the drywall work .

I watched several videos and had a friend and my brother (a professional painter and pretty much a general contractor) help me. I still couldn't emulate them very well. It all worked out in the end though. This was also a special situation since the VOG (vinyl over gypsum) was glued to the studs and has a wall paper like finish with a slight texture of it's own. I added screws to hold the panels in place. Then we taped and mudded. Using knockdown texture also helped so we wouldn't see a difference between the VOG texture and the seams that were taped and mudded.

Current HT Room Build
post #9 of 15 Old 05-12-2018, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Carpet is in! I went with red because I felt that was good for a theater and adds some color to the grey and black walls. I'll have more color added when I get done with my acoustic panels. As you can see in a couple of the pictures they scuffed the new paint a bit installing the carpet. Unavoidable contact and I'm pretty sure the texture makes it easier to scuff. I did it a few times myself already. I'll touch up the paint once I get everything else in the room, just in case I mark up the walls a bit more.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	newcarpet1.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	2401826   Click image for larger version

Name:	carpet2.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	2401828   Click image for larger version

Name:	carpet3.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	2401830  

Current HT Room Build
post #10 of 15 Old 05-16-2018, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Which paint colors did you use? I am planning to go with a similar color scheme and have been planning on Sherwin Williams Peppercorn and Tricorn.
post #11 of 15 Old 05-16-2018, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4fit? View Post
Which paint colors did you use? I am planning to go with a similar color scheme and have been planning on Sherwin Williams Peppercorn and Tricorn.
Those are the exact colors I chose. I used Peppercorn on an accent wall in my living\dining areas with a light grey in the rest of the living room (can't remember the official color name of that). Because of that I got mine in low luster. If I had been thinking I would have done Tricorn black in flat since that was only ever going to be used for the HT room. Oh well, it looks good and doesn't reflect too badly. My biggest complaint is that the paint seems to chip off easily. I think it's because I put it over a knockdown texture since the living room doesn't have the same problem.

Current HT Room Build
post #12 of 15 Old 05-16-2018, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang5o View Post
Those are the exact colors I chose. I used Peppercorn on an accent wall in my living\dining areas with a light grey in the rest of the living room (can't remember the official color name of that). Because of that I got mine in low luster. If I had been thinking I would have done Tricorn black in flat since that was only ever going to be used for the HT room. Oh well, it looks good and doesn't reflect too badly. My biggest complaint is that the paint seems to chip off easily. I think it's because I put it over a knockdown texture since the living room doesn't have the same problem.
I am planning for Tricorn in flat on the ceiling and Peppercorn on the walls. I have a 5 year old running around the house, so I'm hesitant to use flat on the walls. I have always preferred eggshell, but think that would be way too reflective in the theater room. Just need to find a finish that is a good balance between durable/smudge resistant and anti-reflective. The screen wall will eventually be a false wall with some form of black AT material.

Ironically, I also plan to paint an accent wall (well, knee wall under the bar/counter) in our living room Peppercorn as well. All other walls are Agreeable Gray.

Thanks for the reply.
post #13 of 15 Old 05-20-2018, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

More progress made this week. So busy working on stuff and getting stuff and testing stuff I haven't updated here.

Wednesday night: Screen built. 121" wide milliskin spandex from Amazon dealer. Seems to work pretty good. Test images so far look OK. Realize of course the projector is brand new (JVC RS540) and not calibrated at all. Just chose THX function so far as I haven't tested any HDR content yet.

Friday: Finished pulling speaker wire for surround speakers. Went to pick up wall mounts from local dealer. Rewired home networking to make a connection in the HT room with an 8 port switch. Went to see Deadpool 2 and hand dinner with my son. Got back to work after only to realize the speakers mounts don't work with my speakers. Hooked up Xbox One S, old AVR and PJ to test. Figured out I had my surround wired flipped .

Saturday: Returned speaker mounts. Picked up HT seating from local dealer and setup in room. Setup HDHomeRun app on XB1S and fired up HBO to see what I got. Looked pretty good. Kept seeing some weirdness in Ryan Reynolds face in the scene where people are chasing Sammy Jack down the street so I may need to inspect projector output closely for possible issues. Could just be the camera that was on RR was off or something. Later on watched The Incredibles, filling the 2.39:1 screen, as it was the first movie I ever saw on a JVC years ago that made me go WOW!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screen1.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	900.5 KB
ID:	2405170   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenchairs.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	989.5 KB
ID:	2405172   Click image for larger version

Name:	16x9hbo.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	866.5 KB
ID:	2405174   Click image for larger version

Name:	dis21x9_1.jpg
Size:	791.2 KB
ID:	2405176   Click image for larger version

Name:	dis21x9_2.jpg
Size:	1,017.6 KB
ID:	2405178  

bubbrik likes this.

Current HT Room Build
post #14 of 15 Old 05-20-2018, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Yay for constant height picture! The difference in size between HBO and the Incredibles is very... "cinematic". And great progress, congratulations!
Could you please tell us the size of the room, and post pics or the area behind the screen / how the speakers are installed? Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
post #15 of 15 Old 05-20-2018, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxwingav View Post
Yay for constant height picture! The difference in size between HBO and the Incredibles is very... "cinematic". And great progress, congratulations!
Could you please tell us the size of the room, and post pics or the area behind the screen / how the speakers are installed? Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Yes. I've been all in for CIH for 11 years now. Sold my old lens as part of updating my whole room. The room is 12'9" wide (the screen wall) by 19'2" long. Ceiling is 7.5' except the drop for the venting and such. No pics of the back yet. It's a mess. Speakers aren't currently in their permanent homes. Maybe next week.

Current HT Room Build

Last edited by mustang5o; 05-21-2018 at 06:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page