1Likes
  • 1 Post By James92TSi

post #1 of 4 Old 05-20-2018, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 11
MASKING PANELS need help

So I need some help with masking panels. I have a 16:9 130" AT screen. I have used Bigs minimalist approach to screen walls. I completed my wall and my screen uses no border with Joanns black velvet fabric used for my false wall panels. My panels and screen wall are all flush with one another so I really need ideas on how to attach some DIY masking panels to my screen. So show me your panels or let me know how you would address this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-20-2018, 08:01 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamasgot16 View Post
So I need some help with masking panels. I have a 16:9 130" AT screen. I have used Bigs minimalist approach to screen walls. I completed my wall and my screen uses no border with Joanns black velvet fabric used for my false wall panels. My panels and screen wall are all flush with one another so I really need ideas on how to attach some DIY masking panels to my screen. So show me your panels or let me know how you would address this.
Magnets.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-20-2018, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silva741 View Post
Magnets.
For the masking panels themselves I was thinking about rigid foam board wrapped with velvet. Is there another way or better way to make the panels. Or should I make them acoustically transparent like I made my false wall panels?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-20-2018, 08:09 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamasgot16 View Post
For the masking panels themselves I was thinking about rigid foam board wrapped with velvet. Is there another way or better way to make the panels. Or should I make them acoustically transparent like I made my false wall panels?
Depends - when the masking panels are in place, would they block any of your speaker drivers?

Magnets are a great suggestion since they could be completely hidden. To accomplish a hidden installation, you might have to remove some of your existing false wall panels and unwrap some velvet in order to recess magnets into the front of the frame. Install the magnet so it's flush with the wood frame then wrap the velvet back as it was and staple. The mating magnets or metal strike plates would be installed on the back of the masking panel.

If you use strong enough magnets they won't care about the little bit of gap introduced by the velvet.
Bamasgot16 likes this.

James

Long-time AVS reader, finally building a small dedicated room.
McTheatre II Build Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page