• 1 Post By MississippiMan
  • 1 Post By bigbadbob

post #1 of 9 Old 06-13-2018, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 35
MN Theater Build help

Finishing office our basement theater and starting to second guess my dimensions. Looking at 130" screen with Epson 5040. First row seating at 8', second row at 14' on 6" riser and bar seating directly behind second row. Suggested projector location at 19' 10" on a 3 to 6" rod from ceiling. Actual ceiling height is 91".

Big question: am I going to run into issues of the projector beam hitting heads, seats, etc.? Seating for second row is HT Hamiltons. First row is just a normal u-shaped couch.

pulling my hair out as I'm a little into the wiring, etc.
Thanks in advance for any guidance.
RG

Klipsch Rocks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-13-2018, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1365 Post(s)
Liked: 1550
Is this a 16:9 or 2.35:1 scope screen?

Personally I think a 130" screen at 8' is going to be pretty close. I would consider about 10' viewing distance for the first row and keep the second row between 14-15'. Second I don't think your riser will be high enough for two rows based on your ceiling height, and especially with a 16:9 screen.

http://www.diymovierooms.com/Home-Th...s/Riser-Height

You should not run into any issues with the projector beam hitting heads in the second row, my ceiling is slightly higher than yours and I have no issues with 10"+ riser.

I think your biggest issue right now is people in the second row being able to see the bottom of the screen. You also want to buy a projector mount that is fairly flush with the ceiling to preserve headroom. Your projector has goor vertical lens shift.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-13-2018, 11:44 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 386 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4340 Post(s)
Liked: 2154
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbob View Post
Finishing office our basement theater and starting to second guess my dimensions. Looking at 130" screen with Epson 5040. First row seating at 8', second row at 14' on 6" riser and bar seating directly behind second row. Suggested projector location at 19' 10" on a 3 to 6" rod from ceiling. Actual ceiling height is 91".

1st set of corrections:
  • Your best "immersive" seating position with a 130" diagonal screen (2.39:1?) would be closer to 9'6" (1:1 ratio) however since the 1st Row will be the least used, setting up the Theater for 2nd Row and Bar viewing can still make sense.
  • Not sure who "suggested" 19'-10" throw. Mid-Range is 17'4" and the closest Throw is 13'...just behind the Front Row Seating.
  • Setting the PJ at the closest Throw, and using a Low Profile Chief RPA Mount w/Peerless ACC570 Ceiling Plate and a 2" Threaded Nipple will put the Bottom of the Projector at approx 83". The 5040's Lens Shift will take care of everything else.
  • Your Riser MUST be at least 8", and that only if the top of the Screen is placed almost to within 6" from the Ceiling/Wall junction. A 10" Riser (w/5" Step-up) would be best, as ack_bk suggested. That height leaves 80" between the Platform Riser and the Ceiling. The Projector would then be 71" above the Riser Floor....reason enough to adjust the seating so that the Projector resides above the Front Row, and does not encroach into the "Walking Height" at the forward part of the Riser.

Quote:
Big question: am I going to run into issues of the projector beam hitting heads, seats, etc.? Seating for second row is HT Hamiltons. First row is just a normal u-shaped couch.
8"s for the Riser should be OK if a Couch is used, as they seldom have a rear height over 38"-40"

It would be close... and certainly more of a possibility if the PJ is placed behind the Bar area. I do not advise doing that.
Mounted instead up close, and close to the Ceiling as suggested, while placing the Bottom of a 135" 2.39:1 C.H.I Screen (52" H) at 30" off the Floor leaves you with being able to place the Top of the Screen at 9" down from the Ceiling. Of course, with the Projected Image crowding so close to the Ceiling you'll need to treat the Ceiling with a non-reflective surface of some sort. Black is not necessary....but it would have to be a very Dark Neutral Gray in a Flat Interior Enamel

Make sure the Top edge of the Bar is at least 2" above the top edge of the 2nd Row Seats (44"?) and that you have a spill-guard strip up front to prevent any spilled drinks from cascading down the back of the Necks of the viewers. Kinds puts a "damper" on the enjoyment factor.

Quote:
pulling my hair out as I'm a little into the wiring, etc.
Thanks in advance for any guidance.
RG
Oh the wiring is the easiest part! Determining your Speaker selection and placement, how much if any acoustic dampening you'll need....your lighting scheme....those are the other aspects that require more determined thought....and expense.

You didn't mention how much depth you have to work with, although having mentioned a almost 20' throw, and accounting for the depth of the 5040, you must have at minimum 22'...or very close to it. Basically, some adjustment to seating difference (moving everything back about 18") will spell out a big difference.

..and don't pull that hair! It'll disappear soon enough!

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-13-2018, 11:56 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 386 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4340 Post(s)
Liked: 2154
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
PS....with your 3 rows of seating placement and low Ceiling, a 16:9 screen of any appreciable size is almost impossible.....a 16:9 130" diagonal screen is fully 64" high, leaving you only 28" to work with. Even placing the Screen just 4"down from the Ceiling would just leave 24" off the Floor, and that WILL create viewing issues.
BIGmouthinDC likes this.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #5 of 9 Old 06-13-2018, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1898 Post(s)
Liked: 1822
Install your seating first. Then put tape on the wall in various screen sizes so you can see whats visible and whats not. Worked for me, but I suck at math so it was easier.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-09-2018, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

I've been away for a while. Had some water/flooding damage to our basement. Now ready to get back at it. I've attached a screen shot of a recommendation. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
RG
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5040 Calculation.PNG
Views:	30
Size:	328.7 KB
ID:	2453348  

Klipsch Rocks!
post #7 of 9 Old 09-12-2018, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
I've been away for a while. Had some water/flooding damage to our basement. Now ready to get back at it. I've attached a screen shot of a recommendation. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
RG
hey bigbadbob, what software is that in the screenshot?

Sorry to hear about the setback, we got a LOT of water in those recent storms. Oh the joys of basements....
post #8 of 9 Old 09-12-2018, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
hey bigbadbob, what software is that in the screenshot?

Sorry to hear about the setback, we got a LOT of water in those recent storms. Oh the joys of basements....
Killer,
I'm using the program from this site: http://www.webprojectorcalculator.com/
Seems to be pretty accurate.
RG
Killer likes this.

Klipsch Rocks!
post #9 of 9 Old 09-15-2018, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked: 764
Quote:
Killer,
I'm using the program from this site: http://www.webprojectorcalculator.com/
Seems to be pretty accurate.
RG
That calculator is the labor of love of an AVSForum member, @coderguy .
The effort, time and commitment made by many members to this site is astounding.
The internet is littered with dead forums. Thankfully key members keep AVS from becoming one of them.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...se-2-45-a.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page