Ashton Cove Theater Build - Page 20 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1056Likes

post #571 of 748 Old 03-28-2019, 07:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 552
Nice job on the supports! Sharp and clean. I'm looking forward to seeing these completed.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Oklahomie likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 748 Old 03-28-2019, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 763
Ashton Cove Theater Build

Finished out the evening with two fully complete HT-8’s. These sound beautiful!! You can definitely notice the difference in the width of audio they put out vs the volts. I am extremely happy I chose them for surround duties.

Tomorrow morning I am going to start by finishing the HT-8’s out, then I will move to finishing the Titans. The volts are pretty much done, I’m just waiting for more speaker terminals to arrive so I can seal them up and put them into the ceiling. Tomorrow I might even be ready to clear the stage and begin finding the final resting locations for the subs and titans.

Aaron H.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
4fit?, OJ Bartley and eng-399 like this.

Aaron H.

Last edited by Oklahomie; 03-28-2019 at 10:27 PM.
post #573 of 748 Old 03-29-2019, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

3/29/19 - Holy Audio Batman!!

Today was killer. I knocked out the remaining two HT-8’s and then got right into the Titans. The titans were definitely more involved than than the Volts and Ht-8’s, but I would still consider them very intuitive and easy for a newcomer like myself.

I’m not sure if this was the most efficient method for wiring, but I used 3 different terminal posts per box (1 for IN, and then two for the HF & MF drivers on top). Initial test runs of Dolby atmos tracks and favorite songs on YouTube are AmAzInG!!!! I’m blown away by the quality sound these Titans produce. Even with the six UM18-22’s that I will have, I’m confident that these will keep up and shine.

I’m going to begin mounting the remaining 3 UM18-22’s so that they will be ready for when my brother comes to help me move them into the stage. I might run to tractor supply in the morning and pick up horse stall mats to place the subs on for the stage before we move them.

By tomorrow afternoon, I should have a fully operating 7.4.4 system!! Tomorrow evening if I have the time, I will begin constructing the two smaller subwoofer enclosures that will go underneath the rear bar; I just haven’t had room to work on them or a place to stage them.

Aaron H.

Aaron H.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #574 of 748 Old 03-30-2019, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Those speakers look AWESOME!
Oklahomie likes this.

Sony XBR65x900e / STR-DN1080 / original PS4 / WOW! Ultra TV / Quantum Access Mini PC Stick w/Windows 10 / 8 x Rockville SPG88 8“ DJ PA Speakers / Dayton Audio SA1000 / Kicker 08S15L74 in a Tapped-Tapered Quarter Wave Tube (negative flare tapped horn).
post #575 of 748 Old 03-31-2019, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ashton Cove Theater Build

3/30/2019 - I’m too tired to think of a clever title!

What a busy & fun-filled day! I think I’m beginning to mix non-stop working in a light controlled space all day with the word fun, oh well.

Today started with Volt 8 atmos work. I received the terminal posts in the mail, so I was able to finish out the volts. Mounting them to the ceiling was a two person job. I chose the mounting route of cutting little lips that we screwed into the backer box that the volts just sit on. One person held the volt while the other attached the speaker wire, then again one person held the volt up in the box while the other screwed in the support lips. Tentatively, I’m planning on crafting thin fabric wrapped panels to cover the the cut-outs.

Next up was simply pulling the column panels off and installing the HT-8’s.

After the HT-8’s went up, we did some major re-arranging! Moved all of the AV closet gear to the closet, extra OC 703 out in the hallway, and miscellaneous junk to other storage places.

After the room was cleaned, I took a mental health break and went to the gym, then to tractor supply to pick up horse stall mats. I ended up going with 6’ x 4’ 3/4” mats. Holy crap these things are heavy. The plan was to line them under each sub to 1) help prevent jostling; and 2) help with acoustics of some sort?... i first started cutting the mat with a jigsaw, but quickly made an audible to a circular saw that performed much better.

I finished prepping all 4 subwoofers and managed to get 3 out of the 4 up onto the stage. I wish I would have recorded them being moved because I’m sure it was funny. They are HEAVY. I’ve calculated that I should have a 4” gap potential between the screen and the front of the subwoofers. The locations of where the speakers are in the pictures are not the final resting spots. I’m not exactly sure yet where exact placements will be until the screen goes up.

After I made it as far as I could with the subs, I uncovered the speaker cable, which has been covered since September of last year! What an exciting moment.

I’m getting close to having a one-page check off list for this theater, which, for those who have been in my shoes, know how exciting that is.

Tomorrow I’ll have the 4th sub sitting on the stage, and will get everything wired up for testing. I want to continue freeing up real estate in the room, so I might also dive into setting up the AV rack so I can get everything racked and stacked and out of the way.

Aaron H.

Aaron H.
post #576 of 748 Old 03-31-2019, 12:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 531 Post(s)
Quoted: 2418 Post(s)
Liked: 4963
Looks good Man! Tomorrow night is going to be great once everything is hooked up I can’t wait to see what you think! Two more subs in the rear to go it’s all going to be worth it!
Oklahomie likes this.
post #577 of 748 Old 03-31-2019, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

3/31/19 Heavy lifting & AV closet.

Today I hoisted the 4th UM18-22 up onto the stage and began the process of prepping cable ends to hook up to the receiver via the cable we ran last summer.

After getting all of the bare copper ends exposed, I roughly plugged everything in and BAM!!! What an awesome experience. I then noticed that only two of my subwoofers were working, so after an embarrassing amount of troubleshooting, I realized on the denon X6500H that I had to enable the second subwoofer out, and as soon as I did that, everything was working. Quite a glorious moment.

I then got started on the AV closet. Pulled everything out and built the server rack. Ended the evening with all components mounted, along with all of the cable management accessories installed. Tomorrow I will install the banana clips for all of the cables and get everything properly configured.

My next items after that will be to build the two sealed subwoofer cabinets, and get them tied into the mix. I also need to figure out the most minimalist screen support design possible so I can get that staged and ready.

Aaron H.

Aaron H.
post #578 of 748 Old 03-31-2019, 08:00 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Aaron, did you paint or stain your stage wood trim black? Thanks in advance. Asking for Gouie.
post #579 of 748 Old 03-31-2019, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texpilot View Post
Aaron, did you paint or stain your stage wood trim black? Thanks in advance. Asking for Gouie.

It’s painted Tricorn Black. I am, however, considering something that may seem strange, and that is sanding the steps down and lathering duratex on them. Would give them texture and i would never feel bad about walking on them. Paint is so weak for steps....

Aaron H.

Aaron H.
post #580 of 748 Old 03-31-2019, 08:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahomie View Post
It’s painted Tricorn Black. I am, however, considering something that may seem strange, and that is sanding the steps down and lathering duratex on them. Would give them texture and i would never feel bad about walking on them. Paint is so weak for steps....

Aaron H.

I used the same exact paint in my room
post #581 of 748 Old 03-31-2019, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

post #582 of 748 Old 03-31-2019, 09:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Looking good Aaron. Nice workmanship and the light at the end of the tunnel is getting close.
Oklahomie likes this.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #583 of 748 Old 04-01-2019, 06:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

Man! That is a lot of mats you bought. jk

It's turning out great! Can't wait to hear your thoughts next weekend when everything is finished.
post #584 of 748 Old 04-01-2019, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member

Thumbs up

Quote:

[Aaron H.

It's a shame you have to hide those beautiful looking subs behind the screen.
Oklahomie likes this.

Sony XBR65x900e / STR-DN1080 / original PS4 / WOW! Ultra TV / Quantum Access Mini PC Stick w/Windows 10 / 8 x Rockville SPG88 8“ DJ PA Speakers / Dayton Audio SA1000 / Kicker 08S15L74 in a Tapped-Tapered Quarter Wave Tube (negative flare tapped horn).
post #585 of 748 Old 04-01-2019, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked: 1140
Looking good! A bit of deja vu reading the last few days of updates, lol.

Just remember, the moment it is fully functional, your motivation to keep working on details will drop significantly. No matter how excited you are, get as much done as you can before you hang the screen and fire up that projector...
sassuki, texpilot and Oklahomie like this.
post #586 of 748 Old 04-01-2019, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkersten View Post
Looking good! A bit of deja vu reading the last few days of updates, lol.

Just remember, the moment it is fully functional, your motivation to keep working on details will drop significantly. No matter how excited you are, get as much done as you can before you hang the screen and fire up that projector...

Truer words have never been spoken. While you’re busting ass and finishing subs over the weekend, I’m sitting in my theater watching the matrix. It was projected on a bed sheet with sound bouncing all over the untreated room and lacking the bass that these 4 18s would provide... It was the 20th anniversary though. I can find lots of excuses.

I’m weak.
post #587 of 748 Old 04-01-2019, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

I see on prime video they have 3 Matrix movies ready to go.

post #588 of 748 Old 04-01-2019, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

4/1/19 - No fooling around here!!

I finished out the AV rack for the most part. I’ve got PLENTY of breathing room for expansion, and lots of a good air flow which is exactly what I wanted. I like having the open rack, because I can reach everything with ease and troubleshooting is very easy. One thing I emphasized in my cable running was separation of high voltage from low voltage, which I did a pretty good job of. Only one location where there is a small intersect.

After getting everything plugged in and turned on, I fiddled with the AVR to enable atmos and the full 11.2 amp assignments. With no EQ, or adjustments whatsoever, this room sounds amazing. My wife and I just sat on the floor and listened to random Dolby Atmos tracks for a good 30 minutes.

Not much else happened tonight. Tomorrow I am going to begin building the two small sealed cabinets and get those knocked out. Then.... I’m not sure yet.

I’m saving the screen wall and projector install for the very last as others have recommended .

Aaron H.

Aaron H.
post #589 of 748 Old 04-01-2019, 08:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

post #590 of 748 Old 04-02-2019, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Ready Player One has a really fun soundtrack too - lots of Atmos involvement and good bass...
Aus1095, Ladeback and Oklahomie like this.

Roll Tide.
post #591 of 748 Old 04-02-2019, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

4/2/19

I’m too tired to give a long dialogue, but I’ve kicked major butt today. Knocked out the two rear subwoofers to finish out all speakers!!! I might be pondering how to fit custom subs inside of the columns and maybe some VBSS stuff up front.

The subs are about an inch too deep, so what I am gonna have to do is cut out the backside of the cabinet which will actually give me 3” more depth due to the 2” gap I’ve got all around the room for acoustic panels. The end result is there will be fabric covered panels like I’ve got on the columns. Easy peasy.

Aaron H.

Aaron H.
post #592 of 748 Old 04-03-2019, 04:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 683
Ill second Ready Player One for an AV treat.
p3bham likes this.
post #593 of 748 Old 04-03-2019, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
4/2/19

I’m too tired to give a long dialogue, but I’ve kicked major butt today. Knocked out the two rear subwoofers to finish out all speakers!!! I might be pondering how to fit custom subs inside of the columns and maybe some VBSS stuff up front.

The subs are about an inch too deep, so what I am gonna have to do is cut out the backside of the cabinet which will actually give me 3” more depth due to the 2” gap I’ve got all around the room for acoustic panels. The end result is there will be fabric covered panels like I’ve got on the columns. Easy peasy.
DAMN. That looks awesome.
Oklahomie likes this.

Roll Tide.
post #594 of 748 Old 04-03-2019, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Awesome job Aaron as always, those look sweet in the bar, did you say you are going to put fabric over them that will look incredible.

Finish line is in reach keep pushin

Oklahomie likes this.
post #595 of 748 Old 04-03-2019, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I really enjoy coming to your thread to see your updates! I also hate it because you are getting so much done and I am not getting anything done on my theater . Incredible work!

Where did you get the rack and what model is it? Also, why all the power conditioners/surge protectors???
Oklahomie likes this.
post #596 of 748 Old 04-03-2019, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claybe View Post
I really enjoy coming to your thread to see your updates! I also hate it because you are getting so much done and I am not getting anything done on my theater . Incredible work!

Where did you get the rack and what model is it? Also, why all the power conditioners/surge protectors???

I am so motivated to get this done, that as I get closer, I am even working harder, sleeping less ....

I bought the rack off amazon, here is a screenshot of it. It’s stupid easy to assemble, and it’s very durable. I’m happy with it.

Aaron H.

Claybe likes this.

Aaron H.
post #597 of 748 Old 04-03-2019, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

4/3/19 cabinet demolition and LED lighting prep!!

The rear subwoofers were built a few inches too deep, so the easy fix was to take the back out of the cabinets. The carpenter built the cabinets 2” spaced from the wall, so if I could remove the back, I’d have plenty of room for the subs to breath behind a fabric panel cover. Sure enough, it worked out great!

After I finished the cabinet work and got the subs back into place, I started on LED lighting prep. I wanted to have a flat surface to lay my Phillips hue strip lighting on, so I cut 2” wide strips of scrap MDF, then tilted my table saw blade and made a chamfer cut so that the pieces would lay nice and snug between the wall & molding. Very good use of the scrap material.

Tomorrow I am going to pick up a half sheet of 1/4” plywood and use that as my fabric panel for the subwoofers. For the Atmos covers , I might even try going thinner if possible. I’m going to knock out the panel covers then I’ll start on LED strip lighting. The ceiling will be the easiest, so I’ll knock that out, then move to the lighting under the steps.

Aaron H.

Aaron H.
post #598 of 748 Old 04-03-2019, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claybe View Post

Oh yeah I didn’t directly answer your question about the power conditioners. I’ve got 5 dedicated 20 amp circuits, so I needed one per circuit. One for PJ (overkill), one for receiver, Blu-ray, and clean box pro, and the other three for NX6000D amplifiers.

Aaron H.

Claybe likes this.

Aaron H.
post #599 of 748 Old 04-05-2019, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

4/4/19 - Speaker Fabric Frames

Yesterday I had a list of chores that took a lot of my afternoon, but I did manage to make some progress. I bought a 1/2” sheet of plywood and cut out the fabric frames for the two rear subwoofers and 4 atmos speakers. I got all frames sanded and painted, and wrapped all 4 atmos frames. I need to run by HD on my way home and pick up some Velcro so I can attach them to the ceiling.

I’m not just extremely pleased with the atmos covers but at this point, they are done and I can move on to the next item. I wish they were thinner.

Today I’m going to wrap the subwoofer frames, and then hopefully install all of the LED lighting. Extremely excited.

Aaron H.

OJ Bartley and texpilot like this.

Aaron H.
post #600 of 748 Old 04-05-2019, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

4/5/19 - Friday Fun Day!

On my way home from work I picked up all of the material to build the screen wall & acoustic panels surround the screen.

Got the subwoofer acoustic frames wrapped and all of the Atmos covers hung. I then started in on the LED lighting for the ceiling. As you can see in the pictures, I have a little access hole in the side of my projector box that I can use to conceal the Phillips hue bridge and transformers.

Didn’t take too long to string all of the lights around and get them configured within the app. I played around with a few color variations then called it quits after my tired meter hit 10. I will say that I really like how easy it is to manage the lights with the hue app. I also have 3 hue switches that I need to set up which should make the user/guest experience even better.

Tomorrow I’m going to use 3M double sided Velcro to hold the light strip down, and then will begin on the floor lighting. Once I finish with the floor lighting, I will march right into building the screen and screen wall. Yeehaw!!

Aaron H.

Aaron H.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page