Ashton Cove Theater Build - Page 21 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1055Likes

post #601 of 746 Old 04-05-2019, 11:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 519 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2404 Post(s)
Liked: 4947
Wow those led lights really make the room look nice, It really lights it up. The fabric frames coving the rear subs turned out perfect to. Once the screen goes up and all the masking around it your pretty much almost done. Have you fired all the subs up with all the speakers. If so how did you like it.
I started looking for drivers that will fit the columns and there’s much out there besides a few drivers... still looking around for something
Oklahomie likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 746 Old 04-06-2019, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 724 Post(s)
Liked: 662
Hmm, i kinda liked the rear cabinet subs with the drivers showing. Guess you have to protect them from guests though.
post #603 of 746 Old 04-06-2019, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Aaron those Hue lightstrips really do look great. What are you going to use to control them? Just your smartphone or tablet, or are there dedicated remotes for the hue?
Oklahomie likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #604 of 746 Old 04-06-2019, 07:51 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Also, are you planning to add linacoustic to the interior of your projector box? Without it or something similar to absorb some of the sound, it will act like a megaphone.
post #605 of 746 Old 04-06-2019, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by eng-399 View Post
Wow those led lights really make the room look nice, It really lights it up. The fabric frames coving the rear subs turned out perfect to. Once the screen goes up and all the masking around it your pretty much almost done. Have you fired all the subs up with all the speakers. If so how did you like it.
I started looking for drivers that will fit the columns and there’s much out there besides a few drivers... still looking around for something

The output these UM18-22’s put out is on another level. I am blown away by the performance sound that these produce. Having the two subs in the rear really evens things out for the room; when a heavy bass song or scene plays, the room is full of bass and it’s very difficult to try and isolate the location of the subwoofer, which I think is what we strive for. The DIYSG speakers keep up quite nicely, too. The Titans just kill it. I’ve only turned the AVR up to 65 out 100 and i can tell the speakers and subwoofers can easily handle much more, but at 65, it’s loud...

Yes, I’m thinking there might not be enough room in the columns to do much....

Quote:
Originally Posted by texpilot View Post
Also, are you planning to add linacoustic to the interior of your projector box? Without it or something similar to absorb some of the sound, it will act like a megaphone.

Yes, I’ve got 2” acoustic wall panel squares that I plan on installing up in there. I ordered them yesterday and should arrive Monday or Tuesday. Good thinking on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post
Hmm, i kinda liked the rear cabinet subs with the drivers showing. Guess you have to protect them from guests though.

I think the exposed subs would have broken the WAF line. I do like how they look exposed, but now it’s just another hidden gem that adds to the experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texpilot View Post
Aaron those Hue lightstrips really do look great. What are you going to use to control them? Just your smartphone or tablet, or are there dedicated remotes for the hue?

I’ve yet to install them, but I have Phillips hue wall switches that I am going to install. I have magnetic decora switch covers that will cover the switches in an “on” position, and the hue switches will mount to that. I also plan on having a couple old iPhone 5S devices to double as remotes for the room & lights.

Aaron H.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aaron H.
post #606 of 746 Old 04-06-2019, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ashton Cove Theater Build

4/6/18 more lighting!

Today started off with me securing the ceiling LED lights around the soffit to the strip of wood I set in so that the light had a uniform pattern all around. You can tell in the pictures how squirrelly the lighting is when it’s not secured vs when it is.

Next I got to work on the floor LED strips. Floor lighting consists of 3 transformers - one for the front steps, one for the entrance step, and one for the island. I have a YouTube video I posted some time ago that explains how I planned it all out.

To secure the strips to the underside of the steps, I used 14mm clear rubber lighting brackets. These things worked perfect! I used a right angle attachment with my drill which was a life saver. Another useful tool was a new oscillating cutter that I used to cut little holes to pull lighting through from the column locations.

A word of advice for those who are planning to use Phillips hue strip lights - make sure to get little connector adapters where you can join two segments at the scissor cut line locations. This was very helpful for me as I stepped on one section and ended up breaking it. Instead of wasting the whole extension, I just cut it out and joined it to the next extension.

I started with the front steps, then moved to the entrance, and then almost got finished with the middle island section, but fell short by a few extension lengths. I will make a quick run to Best Buy tomorrow and pick up several more which should the trick.

The floor LED really adds a nice flare to the room, and most importantly, adds a safety element for when it is dark. It makes it much easier to navigate the steps.

Tomorrow I am going to finish out the island LEDs, then hopefully assemble the screen so that I can know precise measurements for the minimalist screen wall approach I hope to take.

Aaron H.

Aaron H.

Last edited by Oklahomie; 04-06-2019 at 11:27 PM.
post #607 of 746 Old 04-07-2019, 04:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Looks amazing Aaron!!

Oklahomie likes this.
post #608 of 746 Old 04-07-2019, 04:47 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Yeah it does!
Oklahomie likes this.

Sony XBR65x900e / STR-DN1080 / original PS4 / WOW! Ultra TV / Quantum Access Mini PC Stick w/Windows 10 / 8 x Rockville SPG88 8“ DJ PA Speakers / Dayton Audio SA1000 / Kicker 08S15L74 in a Tapped-Tapered Quarter Wave Tube (negative flare tapped horn).
post #609 of 746 Old 04-07-2019, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Great progress as always. What material are you using for the panels that will go around your screen? I bought some 5/4 poplar to do mine, but it’s quite expensive. I was curious if there’s something else I should be using.
post #610 of 746 Old 04-07-2019, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahomie View Post
It’s painted Tricorn Black. I am, however, considering something that may seem strange, and that is sanding the steps down and lathering duratex on them. Would give them texture and i would never feel bad about walking on them. Paint is so weak for steps....

Aaron H.

Try India ink for the blackest most durable finish. Topcoat with polyurethane. Speedball is the brand to get if you want to try it. I am using this to stain the oak treads on my foyer staircase rebuild.

Denali Cinema
JVC-RS540, 124" Wide 2.40:1 DIY Screen, Denon 8500H, Denon 6200W, Panasonic UB820 UHD Player, (3) iNuke 6000DSP's; (3) HTM-12's; (14) RSL C34e surrounds; (2) 18" Dayton Audio RSS460HO-4 Subwoofers; (1) Dayton Audio UM18-22 18" Ultimax Subwoofer; (4) Dayton Audio RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofers
post #611 of 746 Old 04-07-2019, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassuki View Post
Great progress as always. What material are you using for the panels that will go around your screen? I bought some 5/4 poplar to do mine, but it’s quite expensive. I was curious if there’s something else I should be using.

I used 5/4 for all of the acoustic panels, and it worked great. For the screen panels, I bought 3/4” primed pine. It’s thinner and lighter, and should accept paint easily. I can’t say it will be better than the 5/4 poplar, but I will definitely share. It was just convenient for me to pick it up, as the place I get my poplar from has a lead time for straightening all edges and making it pretty.

Aaron H.

Rjloper9 likes this.

Aaron H.
post #612 of 746 Old 04-08-2019, 12:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
It’s painted Tricorn Black. I am, however, considering something that may seem strange, and that is sanding the steps down and lathering duratex on them. Would give them texture and i would never feel bad about walking on them. Paint is so weak for steps....
Awesome theater and very inspiring. If you want to maintain your current look and increase durability epoxy resin might work. Similar to how you would do an epoxy countertop.
Oklahomie likes this.
post #613 of 746 Old 04-08-2019, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

4/8/19 - Screen Time!

This afternoon I assembled the screen and planned out the measurements for my minimalist false wall design. The screen is HUGE. I knew how big it would be, but seeing it assembled is something else. I can’t wait to see an image projected on it.

Aaron H.

Aaron H.
post #614 of 746 Old 04-09-2019, 03:00 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
4/8/19 - Screen Time!

This afternoon I assembled the screen and planned out the measurements for my minimalist false wall design. The screen is HUGE. I knew how big it would be, but seeing it assembled is something else. I can’t wait to see an image projected on it.

Aaron H.

Wow Aaron, you are coming along well. Nice progress. What type of screen is that?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
James92TSi likes this.

Larry L.

My Theater Build - The Lion's Lair
post #615 of 746 Old 04-09-2019, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLDaLastDon View Post
Wow Aaron, you are coming along well. Nice progress. What type of screen is that?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

It is a Seymour Center Stage XD screen. Purchased from Jamestown Theater Screens. Super easy to setup and a simple design.

Aaron H.

Aaron H.
post #616 of 746 Old 04-09-2019, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Liked: 564
Wow, I go away for a week and the progress you made is incredible!!!

Keep building that screen wall, but to NOT - under any circumstances - hang that PJ!!
Oklahomie likes this.
post #617 of 746 Old 04-09-2019, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ashton Cove Theater Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougUSMC View Post
Wow, I go away for a week and the progress you made is incredible!!!

Keep building that screen wall, but to NOT - under any circumstances - hang that PJ!!

. My list is getting much shorter. Biggest things I have left are:
- build false wall
- build and wrap false wall velvet frames
- paint steps throughout room
- touch up scratches and dings
- run HDMI from PJ to AV closet
- set PJ up
- move in seating
- some element of audio & video calibration
- liftoff?

I need to build panel covers for the door, which won’t be too hard to do, and I don’t consider this required before go-live.

Aaron H.

tjambro, sirjaymz and texpilot like this.

Aaron H.
post #618 of 746 Old 04-09-2019, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Amazing and inspirational thread!
Oklahomie likes this.
post #619 of 746 Old 04-09-2019, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

4/9/19 - Screen Wall Work

After going back and forth on various design ideas, I ended up having a great conversation with @Mahuzz13 and landed on a good design! The design is moderately minimal, yet should be plenty strong enough to handle the weight of the screen over time.

I’ve got everything cut and painted, so tomorrow it should be assembled and ready hang a screen on! My drawing is a little wonky, but it works.

Aaron H.

Aaron H.
post #620 of 746 Old 04-10-2019, 04:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I need to build panel covers for the door, which won’t be too hard to do, and I don’t consider this required before go-live.
It's a TRAP!!!
post #621 of 746 Old 04-10-2019, 04:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:
4/9/19 - Screen Wall Work

After going back and forth on various design ideas, I ended up having a great conversation with @Mahuzz13 and landed on a good design! The design is moderately minimal, yet should be plenty strong enough to handle the weight of the screen over time.

I’ve got everything cut and painted, so tomorrow it should be assembled and ready hang a screen on! My drawing is a little wonky, but it works.

Aaron H.

Hey Aaron it was great to finally speak to you on the phone instead of texting. I’m glad we took your very detail first design to this very simple screen support. This will allow you to access all your speakers if need be very easy and without any compromise to strength or sound.

Can’t wait to see the screen hung

Duane

OJ Bartley and Oklahomie like this.
post #622 of 746 Old 04-10-2019, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
It's a TRAP!!!

Aaron H.

DougUSMC and p3bham like this.

Aaron H.
post #623 of 746 Old 04-10-2019, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahuzz13 View Post
Hey Aaron it was great to finally speak to you on the phone instead of texting. I’m glad we took your very detail first design to this very simple screen support. This will allow you to access all your speakers if need be very easy and without any compromise to strength or sound.

Can’t wait to see the screen hung

Duane

This is just for fun. Here is the before and after. First being over-engineered and too much .

Aaron H.

OJ Bartley and Mahuzz13 like this.

Aaron H.
post #624 of 746 Old 04-10-2019, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

4/10/19 - Houston, we have a wall!

Started the construction by building the two posts out in the shop, then brought all of the pieces into the room. To make the posts REALLY friction fit tight, I wedged 1/4” horse stall Mats between the top of the posts and ceiling. Bottom and top are both anchored into the floor & ceiling. I opted to not install the inner diagonal supports per my plans, because it already felt very sturdy; in fact, It felt good enough for me to do some pull-ups on!

The screen wall is minimal, it’s effective, and I’m happy. I’ve got everything measured for where I will install the Z-clips on the screen frame and wall frame, but have ran out of energy and time for the evening. Tomorrow I will have the screen hung, and will be able to precisely measure the lips I will need to have for the surrounding velvet frames.

I also got most of the OC703 covered with Scott’s garden material, which worked perfect. I’ll cover the remaining little areas tomorrow. My cheap method of attached the material to the wall was cut blocks of cardboard and stab a screw through it and use it like a big washer. I’ll cover them up with black spray paint so it’s all a black backdrop.

Aaron H.

Aaron H.
post #625 of 746 Old 04-10-2019, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Are the vertical boards attached to the floor and ceiling as well or simply wedged between the horse mats that you have screwed in?

post #626 of 746 Old 04-10-2019, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjloper9 View Post
Are the vertical boards attached to the floor and ceiling as well or simply wedged between the horse mats that you have screwed in?

Never mind! I zoomed in and see what you did there! Excellent work!

Oklahomie likes this.
post #627 of 746 Old 04-11-2019, 05:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Very cool, congrats on hitting another milestone!

I looked back but couldn't find it: What're your plans to get those LCRs off the floor?
post #628 of 746 Old 04-11-2019, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Very cool, congrats on hitting another milestone!

I looked back but couldn't find it: What're your plans to get those LCRs off the floor?

Are you asking from a sound isolation perspective? I think where they sit, they are already at listener height.

Aaron H.

Aaron H.
post #629 of 746 Old 04-11-2019, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Are you asking from a sound isolation perspective? I think where they sit, they are already at listener height.
Oh, Ok, very cool. I was asking b/c they look low, but after another look I realized that your stage is pretty high, and with those horns the acoustic center of the speaker must be a lot higher than mine.

Soooo, on an unrelated note: *Are* you planning a baffle wall or anything?
post #630 of 746 Old 04-11-2019, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Oh, Ok, very cool. I was asking b/c they look low, but after another look I realized that your stage is pretty high, and with those horns the acoustic center of the speaker must be a lot higher than mine.

Soooo, on an unrelated note: *Are* you planning a baffle wall or anything?

I am curious though, is there any value in laying a rubber mat underneath them? Super easy to do. I have extras.

Ok on the baffle wall, I would be up for the challenge, but what would the benefits of that be, and are there some easy guides as to how I would go about constructing it?

Aaron H.

Aaron H.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page