Ashton Cove Theater Build - Page 23 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1056Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #661 of 748 Old 04-13-2019, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
hd0823's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,970
Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked: 1311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahuzz13 View Post
Less than a year and Aaron you have come up with such a beautiful theatre, kudos to you my friend. It is nice to have that freedom to get your goals done in such a short period of time. Can’t wait to hear about your impressions on the first movie you watch


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We all know the work is never done. Upgradiatus is a terrible disease lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
hd0823 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #662 of 748 Old 04-13-2019, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
Mahuzz13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 655
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd0823 View Post
We all know the work is never done. Upgradiatus is a terrible disease lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk


So true but I think Aaron has done it right the first time that I don’t think he will have to upgrade for a little while.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mahuzz13 is online now  
post #663 of 748 Old 04-13-2019, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Oklahomie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 661
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd0823 View Post
We all know the work is never done. Upgradiatus is a terrible disease lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk


this is true, but I better slow the roll because unfortunately I’m a middle class citizen with a budget. My budget needs to stop growing


Aaron H.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aaron H.
Oklahomie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #664 of 748 Old 04-13-2019, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
hd0823's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,970
Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked: 1311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahomie View Post
this is true, but I better slow the roll because unfortunately I’m a middle class citizen with a budget. My budget needs to stop growing


Aaron H.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol I'm right there with you being a middle class citizen without an unlimited budget. I know when I first started my room my wife said I had a 8000 dollar budget I agreed. I started building and buying and soon realized that wasnt feasible lol. Even though I've spent over triple that it's still way way way cheaper than hiring out all the work. Your room really looks amazing props on how fast you've got it done. Unless someone's built a room like this you really dont realize how much time and work goes into it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
brazensol and Oklahomie like this.
hd0823 is online now  
post #665 of 748 Old 04-13-2019, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Oklahomie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 661
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 763
Ashton Cove Theater Build

4/13/19 paint time!

So this might be a controversial decision on my part, but I chose to sand down the steps in my room, and pant them with duratex. I think this more closely aligns with the intended use of the room, and that is to have guests over, and for them to not feel like they can’t walk around without scratching or dinging the steps up.

This speaker grade paint will take much more of a beating, and if anything ever happens, I can just whip out a roller brush and touch up with ease. I think I like this better anyways, as it appears to be more matte than the painted steps were. More durable, and more of a matte black - win/win! I’ve got coat #1 down and will probably put two more down.

Oh yeah and I made my own paint roller tray because I didn’t have one and didn’t feel like going to the store to buy one

















Aaron H.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OJ Bartley, Rjloper9 and p3bham like this.

Aaron H.
Oklahomie is offline  
post #666 of 748 Old 04-13-2019, 07:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
hd0823's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,970
Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked: 1311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahomie View Post
4/13/19 paint time!

So this might be a controversial decision on my part, but I chose to sand down the steps in my room, and pant them with duratex. I think this more closely aligns with the intended use of the room, and that is to have guests over, and for them to not feel like they can’t walk around without scratching or dinging the steps up.

This speaker grade paint will take much more of a beating, and if anything ever happens, I can just whip out a roller brush and touch up with ease. I think I like this better anyways, as it appears to be more matte than the painted steps were. More durable, and more of a matte black - win/win! I’ve got coat #1 down and will probably put two more down.

Oh yeah and I made my own paint roller tray because I didn’t have one and didn’t feel like going to the store to buy one

















Aaron H.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I actually like the textured duratex look better and like you said it will definitely take foot traffic much better.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Tedd, mhutchins and Oklahomie like this.
hd0823 is online now  
post #667 of 748 Old 04-13-2019, 07:51 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR
 
BIGmouthinDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 31,599
Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5538 Post(s)
Liked: 5133
Interesting use of Duratex for high traffic areas, Put that in my cerebral idea file.
Tedd, DougUSMC, hd0823 and 1 others like this.
BIGmouthinDC is offline  
post #668 of 748 Old 04-13-2019, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Oklahomie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 661
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
Interesting use of Duratex for high traffic areas, Put that in my cerebral idea file.


Did I think of something that you haven’t?? “Throws microphone down and walks off stage” Yes maybe I can start a “interesting ways to use duratex” thread, eh?


Aaron H.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aaron H.
Oklahomie is offline  
post #669 of 748 Old 04-13-2019, 08:33 PM
sor
Senior Member
 
sor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: UT
Posts: 310
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 79
That Duratex step looks really cool. Do you think it will end up a bit glossy or is it just wet?
sor is offline  
post #670 of 748 Old 04-13-2019, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Oklahomie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 661
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
That Duratex step looks really cool. Do you think it will end up a bit glossy or is it just wet?


Oh it was just wet when I took that picture. I just applied coat #3 , so after it dries I’ll snap some more pics. I think it will be more of a matte than a gloss finish.


Aaron H.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aaron H.
Oklahomie is offline  
post #671 of 748 Old 04-13-2019, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Oklahomie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 661
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
That Duratex step looks really cool. Do you think it will end up a bit glossy or is it just wet?


This is after several hours now of drying. It looks pretty matte in person.









Aaron H.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DigiWega, sor, OJ Bartley and 2 others like this.

Aaron H.
Oklahomie is offline  
post #672 of 748 Old 04-14-2019, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Oklahomie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 661
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 763
4/14/19 clean Up & Touch Up

After 4 coats of Duratex & 10 hours of drying, I am super duper happy with how the steps turned out!!! I don’t think I could have chosen a better product to cover the wooden steps with. I cleaned up my roller and still have 1/8 gallon of duratex left to touch up should I ever need it.

Pulled all of the protective plastic up, moved all of my construction equipment junk out, and am getting things cleaned up. The wide & B-I-L are helping with cleaning duties. I’m pulling the vents off as we speak to give them a matte black finish, and here within the next two hours, ladies and gentleman, we will have seats in the space.












Aaron H.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aaron H.
Oklahomie is offline  
post #673 of 748 Old 04-14-2019, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member
 
Mahuzz13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 655
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Once again you have made an amazing choice and the final result on those steps is a game changer, I think many will follow in your foot steps (no pun intended)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oklahomie likes this.
Mahuzz13 is online now  
post #674 of 748 Old 04-14-2019, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Oklahomie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 661
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 763
Ashton Cove Theater Build

I’ve got all of my family over and things are moving rapidly!! My parents are working on unboxing theater seating while the wife is handling cleaning duty and I’m currently prepping the projector box for PJ.







I used some scrap OC 703 and fabric to make sound deadening panels in the projector box, and then put some pyramid sound panels on the surface. Pulled the HDMI with a fish tape (REALLY happy I chose a 2” conduit; wouldn’t have wanted any smaller for the right bends).








Tested the PJ power inlet by hooking a vacuum up to it. Al green lights.





Room has been vacuumed 3 times now LOL. Man it was dirty. While my dad and I hang the PJ, others will be touching up paint.


Aaron H.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chirpie, James92TSi and texpilot like this.

Aaron H.

Last edited by Oklahomie; 04-14-2019 at 01:47 PM.
Oklahomie is offline  
post #675 of 748 Old 04-14-2019, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
Mahuzz13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 655
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahomie View Post
I’ve got all of my family over and things are moving rapidly!! My parents are working on unboxing theater seating while the wife is handling cleaning duty and I’m currently prepping the projector box for PJ.







I used some scrap OC 703 and fabric to make sound deadening panels in the projector box, and then put some pyramid sound panels on the surface. Pulled the HDMI with a fish tape (REALLY happy I chose a 2” conduit; wouldn’t have wanted any smaller for the right bends).








Tested the PJ power inlet by hooking a vacuum up to it. Al green lights.





Room has been vacuumed 3 times now LOL. Man it was dirty. While my dad and I hang the PJ, others will be touching up paint.


Aaron H.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


It’s sounds like in no time with all that family help you will all be sitting down and watching your first movie. Very exciting!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mahuzz13 is online now  
post #676 of 748 Old 04-14-2019, 02:35 PM
Member
 
weavinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I don't wanna add more to your list but are you going to turn the light off on that UniFi AP?

It's looking good. You are a machine getting it done so fast!
Jedi940, warwwolf7 and Oklahomie like this.
weavinator is offline  
post #677 of 748 Old 04-14-2019, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
Claybe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 612
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 86
First movie tonight?!? NNNNOOOOOOOO. I won’t have a thread to visit everyday
warwwolf7, Aus1095 and mmorriskc like this.
Claybe is offline  
post #678 of 748 Old 04-14-2019, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Oklahomie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 661
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 763
No movies yet, lol! AC vents are back in, projector is in-place, and seats are assembled. I haven’t had time to adjust settings on projector, so it’s not calibrated or fit to the screen, so I don’t want to share images of that yet .

My next steps will be to fiddle with the projector and get it at least positioned correctly on the screen, update the firmware, get a 2:35:1 setting saved, then a 16:9 setting saved. Tomorrow I’m going to pick up more wood to begin the acoustic panel frames for the door. Even the seats and projector in won’t keep me distracted from fully finishing.
















Aaron H.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aaron H.
Oklahomie is offline  
post #679 of 748 Old 04-14-2019, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
Mahuzz13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 655
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Wow you have more patience than any of us, a movie would of being playing no matter how the picture looked on the screen but I hear ya, you want it perfect just like the room.
Congrats Aaron to your will to wait.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aus1095 and Oklahomie like this.
Mahuzz13 is online now  
post #680 of 748 Old 04-15-2019, 07:33 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Birmingham,Alabama
Posts: 226
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
No movies yet, lol! AC vents are back in, projector is in-place, and seats are assembled. I haven’t had time to adjust settings on projector, so it’s not calibrated or fit to the screen, so I don’t want to share images of that yet .

My next steps will be to fiddle with the projector and get it at least positioned correctly on the screen, update the firmware, get a 2:35:1 setting saved, then a 16:9 setting saved. Tomorrow I’m going to pick up more wood to begin the acoustic panel frames for the door. Even the seats and projector in won’t keep me distracted from fully finishing.
Aaron, unbelievable work. The color scheme and everything is top notch. As to your "controversial" duratex steps, I think you've just created a new standard that will become ubiquitous like sand in stages. I think you're the first to put Duratex on steps - but from here on everybody is going to be doing it. It looks phenomenal and the matte finish is huge...
Aus1095 and Oklahomie like this.

Roll Tide.
p3bham is offline  
post #681 of 748 Old 04-15-2019, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Oklahomie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 661
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3bham View Post
Aaron, unbelievable work. The color scheme and everything is top notch. As to your "controversial" duratex steps, I think you've just created a new standard that will become ubiquitous like sand in stages. I think you're the first to put Duratex on steps - but from here on everybody is going to be doing it. It looks phenomenal and the matte finish is huge...


Do you think it would be worthwhile to post a dedicated thread for the topic? And thank you for the kind words


Aaron H.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mahuzz13 and p3bham like this.

Aaron H.
Oklahomie is offline  
post #682 of 748 Old 04-15-2019, 08:09 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Birmingham,Alabama
Posts: 226
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Do you think it would be worthwhile to post a dedicated thread for the topic?
Yes. I'm sure a lot of us that follow the threads will already be aware but a dedicated thread would get more people's eyeballs on it for sure. I really think this is a great idea for steps - no more worn paint or scuffs, protection for the wood itself, and a matte rubberized finish? Seems a winner to me.
Mahuzz13 likes this.

Roll Tide.
p3bham is offline  
post #683 of 748 Old 04-15-2019, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member
 
JCJetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 557
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 672
As I am considering what I will do with Theater #2 build, I'm spending more time in this forum, and this thread is getting me excited. I've learned several good things already.

Good to see other strength enthusiasts doubling as AV nerds as well. I hope to have a decent audio setup in my basement gym some day. And those horse mats from TSC are amazing, provided you can handle the smell for a few weeks. Glad you found good use for them for your subs.

Gorgeous theater!
LLDaLastDon and Oklahomie like this.
JCJetta is offline  
post #684 of 748 Old 04-15-2019, 01:11 PM
Senior Member
 
sassuki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 294
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Beautiful!
Oklahomie likes this.
sassuki is offline  
post #685 of 748 Old 04-15-2019, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SteveCallas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,027
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 681
Easily one of the best looking diy theaters ive ever seen and definitely a design look i would attempt to mimic if i ever have to do it again. Great work, i hope you and your family gets lots of enjoyment from it.

Can the wall panels be removed easily?
Oklahomie likes this.
SteveCallas is offline  
post #686 of 748 Old 04-15-2019, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
brazensol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
Posts: 1,546
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahomie View Post
Did I think of something that you haven’t?? “Throws microphone down and walks off stage” Yes maybe I can start a “interesting ways to use duratex” thread, eh?


Aaron H.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Forget starting a thread and write a book. Something like... Duratex for Dummies!
Oklahomie likes this.

Denali Cinema
JVC-RS540, 124" Wide 2.40:1 DIY Screen, Denon 8500H, Denon 6200W, Panasonic UB820 UHD Player, (3) iNuke 6000DSP's; (3) HTM-12's; (14) RSL C34e surrounds; (2) 18" Dayton Audio RSS460HO-4 Subwoofers; (1) Dayton Audio UM18-22 18" Ultimax Subwoofer; (4) Dayton Audio RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofers
brazensol is offline  
post #687 of 748 Old 04-15-2019, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Oklahomie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 661
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post
Easily one of the best looking diy theaters ive ever seen and definitely a design look i would attempt to mimic if i ever have to do it again. Great work, i hope you and your family gets lots of enjoyment from it.

Can the wall panels be removed easily?


Steve, thank you for the awesome remark! I can’t wait to begin enjoying it with family and friends. When you say panels, are you referring to the wall panels or the front stage panels?


Aaron H.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aaron H.
Oklahomie is offline  
post #688 of 748 Old 04-15-2019, 07:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SteveCallas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,027
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 681
The panels on the sides and back walls wrapped with the GOM fabric.
SteveCallas is offline  
post #689 of 748 Old 04-15-2019, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Oklahomie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 661
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 763
4/15/19 - audio and video

I had some other errands to take care of, so I didn’t make it to the store to pick up more wood for the panels, so instead I did a little calibration.

I configured a 16:9 and 2:35:1 lens memory for the projector, ran the Denon audio calibration, and tested with the opening scene of Guardians of The Galaxy 2. It looked beautiful and sounded great! The Denon calibration made a big difference from the stock settings that I had.

Wednesday might be the first official movie. Avengers Infinity War.








Aaron H.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aaron H.
Oklahomie is offline  
post #690 of 748 Old 04-15-2019, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Oklahomie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 661
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post
The panels on the sides and back walls wrapped with the GOM fabric.


They aren’t too hard. I first pull the middle section out, then the top and bottoms come out fairly easy. They are pretty snug, so my trick to get them out is with a spoon handle in one of the ends; get it worked out enough to where I can fit my fingers around it. If that makes sense.


Aaron H.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aaron H.
Oklahomie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off