Ashton Cove Theater Build - Page 24 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1056Likes

post #691 of 748 Old 04-15-2019, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 25
This theater is the DIY gold standard. Simply amazing and inspiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oklahomie likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 748 Old 04-16-2019, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjloper9 View Post
This theater is the DIY gold standard. Simply amazing and inspiring.

Thank you, RJ! Hopefully I’ve given you some ideas to stew on as you plan your project out. You are in the planning phase, right?

Aaron H.

Aaron H.
post #693 of 748 Old 04-16-2019, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahomie View Post
Thank you, RJ! Hopefully I’ve given you some ideas to stew on as you plan your project out. You are in the planning phase, right?

I’ve definitely thrown a lot of the ideas and techniques I’ve seen used in your thread into the vault.

You are correct, I’m in the planning phase for a space that doesn’t even exist yet. My wife and I are planning to move and hoping to build again. She’s already aware of my need for a dedicated theater space and has a front row seat to this rabbit hole I’ve swan dived into

Ryan

Oklahomie likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #694 of 748 Old 04-16-2019, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 742 Post(s)
Liked: 683
When you get all the subwoofers running the way you like, please let me know if you get any rattling from those panels against the wall when the low frequency bass notes cause the walls to vibrate. Do you have any cushion between the panel frames and the walls besides the fabric wrapped over them?
post #695 of 748 Old 04-16-2019, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post
When you get all the subwoofers running the way you like, please let me know if you get any rattling from those panels against the wall when the low frequency bass notes cause the walls to vibrate. Do you have any cushion between the panel frames and the walls besides the fabric wrapped over them?

I have tested that, and the panels do not rattle at all, and I only have fabric separating them and the wall. They are very snuggly friction fit, so that might help mitigate that issue.

The sconces, A/C vents, and A/V closet door rattle when things get really loud, so I’ve got to figure out a plan to address those items.

Aaron H.

Aaron H.
post #696 of 748 Old 04-16-2019, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
4/15/19 - audio and video

I had some other errands to take care of, so I didn’t make it to the store to pick up more wood for the panels, so instead I did a little calibration.

I configured a 16:9 and 2:35:1 lens memory for the projector, ran the Denon audio calibration, and tested with the opening scene of Guardians of The Galaxy 2. It looked beautiful and sounded great! The Denon calibration made a big difference from the stock settings that I had.

Wednesday might be the first official movie. Avengers Infinity War.

Aaron H.

Aw man. I'm so jealous. It looks amazing. You should do a full video walk though when you are done.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Oklahomie likes this.

Larry L.

My Theater Build - The Lion's Lair
post #697 of 748 Old 04-16-2019, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 742 Post(s)
Liked: 683
I had the same issue with sconces - got some black D ring rubber seals, slit them down the arch of the D, and ran them around the back of the sconce that made contact to the wall.

I had some issues with the upper ball spring on the double door entry vibrating, so i used a combination of felt along the top and outer sides along with rubber double D seals where the doors meet and at the bottom.

Luckily no issues with any vent covers...those are usually screwed in pretty tight. Are you sure its the vent cover or could it be the actual duct hose vibrating on something?
post #698 of 748 Old 04-16-2019, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post
I had the same issue with sconces - got some black D ring rubber seals, slit them down the arch of the D, and ran them around the back of the sconce that made contact to the wall.

I had some issues with the upper ball spring on the double door entry vibrating, so i used a combination of felt along the top and outer sides along with rubber double D seals where the doors meet and at the bottom.

Luckily no issues with any vent covers...those are usually screwed in pretty tight. Are you sure its the vent cover or could it be the actual duct hose vibrating on something?

You know, it could be the can lights; I’m not 100% sure. I need to run a bass sweep test and just walk around to see. Because you are right, the AC vents are fastened pretty darn tight.

Aaron H.

Aaron H.
post #699 of 748 Old 04-16-2019, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Arrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh!!! I'm away for a long weekend, and I miss so much! After following your thread this long I should have *known*!!

Love the steps idea. Dig the friction fit, grats on the PJ and seating!

And "Yes, you may now hang the PJ".

FYI, my answer WOULD have been "only if all of your punch list items are done". Come to find out, you didn't need me to tell you that, BRAVO Sir!
Oklahomie likes this.
post #700 of 748 Old 04-16-2019, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 37
You are so methodical in your implementation AND your documentation- dude you should have a show on DIY. Pitch this!
(Keep it up)
Oklahomie likes this.
post #701 of 748 Old 04-17-2019, 04:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinHeadroom View Post
You are so methodical in your implementation AND your documentation- dude you should have a show on DIY. Pitch this!
(Keep it up)

Speaking of documentation - one of my after action items for this project is to have a table of contents on page 1 for people to easily link to the different stages of the build. I would love to have a show! Haha!! That would be cool...

Aaron H.

Aaron H.
post #702 of 748 Old 04-17-2019, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ashton Cove Theater Build

4/16/19 updates and more cleaning

I cleaned up the AV closet and bar area (with the help of the wife). Speaking of the bar, my little secret for the bar is that the granite is not silicone stuck to the cabinet, so that if I ever have to take the back panel off, I just move the granite out. The granite is so heavy though, that the risk of any slippage happening with it is near 0%.

I installed a ring smart doorbell so that we can still hear when people are ringing our doorbell from within the theater. I’m going to move the ring into one of the columns plugged into one of the lower utility outlets, which should be perfect.

I also spent some time getting all of the components in the AV rack hardwired into my LAN and firmware updated. I still need to update the projector, and confirmed with Mike Garrett that the early on firmware update issues with the RS1000’s are no longer an issue.

Today I’m going to scotch guard the fabric on the wall, to help protect it from stains and such, and i might see if I can find some magnetic strips to work on the main switch box in the room. I’ve got a good idea for how I want to bring those hue switches more flush with the surface.

I know I mentioned this previously, but the Denon Audyssey app brought the room to life. With how efficient the DIYSG speakers are, the Denon X6500H was the perfect choice for my room. I don’t have any regrets, or feelings of being “under-powered”. In fact, I can’t stand to turn the system up past 75 on a scale of 100.

Throwing in a few more still shots from me poking through guardians of the galaxy 2.

tjambro, James92TSi, 4fit? and 3 others like this.

Aaron H.
post #703 of 748 Old 04-17-2019, 05:05 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Speaking of documentation - one of my after action items for this project is to have a table of contents on page 1 for people to easily link to the different stages of the build. I would love to have a show! Haha!!

The best part of this WIP is you are just making it happen, albeit the right way. There aren’t 10 posts between updates hemming hawing (as I do) about what to do next. It’s soooo engaging
post #704 of 748 Old 04-17-2019, 06:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 552
Aaron, this theatre is simply beautiful. You've done an absolutely amazing job, and it is hands down one of my favourites on the forum. I will certainly be taking inspiration from your room as I move forward on mine. A+, 10/10, gold star.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Oklahomie likes this.
post #705 of 748 Old 04-17-2019, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJ Bartley View Post
Aaron, this theatre is simply beautiful. You've done an absolutely amazing job, and it is hands down one of my favourites on the forum. I will certainly be taking inspiration from your room as I move forward on mine. A+, 10/10, gold star.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Thank you, OJ! It truly makes me happy to know that I’m helping others with their journey. So much of what I’ve done is from knowledge that I’ve gained reading other people’s journey with their builds, so to pass those lessons learned and ideas forward, was paramount for me.

Aaron H.

OJ Bartley likes this.

Aaron H.
post #706 of 748 Old 04-17-2019, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Thanks for sharing. Finished product looks amazing. You probably said this somewhere, but what did the seating distance for the 1st row from the screen end up being? Looks like you went with a 165" diag 2.35:1 screen. How do you like the screen size? I was thinking something similar in the future for a room of that size.
post #707 of 748 Old 04-17-2019, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Nice video quality!
Oklahomie likes this.
post #708 of 748 Old 04-17-2019, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post
Thanks for sharing. Finished product looks amazing. You probably said this somewhere, but what did the seating distance for the 1st row from the screen end up being? Looks like you went with a 165" diag 2.35:1 screen. How do you like the screen size? I was thinking something similar in the future for a room of that size.

I will use my laser measuring device tonight and get the exact distance for you. I want to say first row eyes are around 11’ and second row 17 1/2’.

The screen size is perfect. First row delivers a very immersive experience, while the second row is a little more casual. I think any bigger would be too much, unless the first row viewing distance were to be further back.

Aaron H.

lockdown571 likes this.

Aaron H.
post #709 of 748 Old 04-17-2019, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Sorry if you mentioned it elsewhere but where did you get the outlets with the usb ports above your bar? BTW like others have said stealing a lot of design ques from your build its an amazing space!
Oklahomie likes this.
post #710 of 748 Old 04-17-2019, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

4/17/19 scotch guard, entrance switch, & paint

I wanted for the AC thermostat and Phillips Hue switches to be more flush with the wall, so I built inserts that I fabric wrapped and friction fit in-place. For the Phillips hue insert, I recessed magnets behind the fabric so that the switch/remote controls would have a “magical” stick to the fabric backer.

Before, progress, and after pictures

To protect the fabric walls from greasy popcorn hands, spills, and accidents, I scotch guarded the entire room. Multiple coats where hands would frequently touch fabric (picture is immediately after spraying. Everything dries clear)

I then took my matte black krylon spray paint and created a puddle of paint on a piece wood, then used a q-tip to touch-up scratches in the vents.

I think the last item I have left is to work on is the door panels.
@lockdown571 here are the distances from eyeballs to screen. 1st row is 11’ 9” and second row is 18’ 2” (reclined).

@pkinneb - I bought them off amazon. Here is a screenshot of my purchase for your reference. Love them.

Aaron H.

Aaron H.
post #711 of 748 Old 04-18-2019, 05:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Great stuff, I really like the idea of the Ring doorbell!
Oklahomie likes this.
post #712 of 748 Old 04-18-2019, 06:02 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Aaron, this build is unreal. Well done, sir! Looking forward to the walk-through video when it's all complete (nudge nudge )...
DougUSMC and Oklahomie like this.
post #713 of 748 Old 04-18-2019, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1168 Post(s)
Liked: 986
I have been stalking this thread for awhile now.... FANTASTIC job!

And yes, a video is a must.
Oklahomie likes this.
post #714 of 748 Old 04-18-2019, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Wow, looks great
Oklahomie likes this.
post #715 of 748 Old 04-20-2019, 08:11 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
I will use my laser measuring device tonight and get the exact distance for you.
I had never seen one of these so I ordered one off Amazon man these are sweet! Thanks for the tip
texpilot and Oklahomie like this.
post #716 of 748 Old 04-20-2019, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkinneb View Post
I had never seen one of these so I ordered one off Amazon man these are sweet! Thanks for the tip

The Bosch are indeed great but be sure to get the backlit model like Aaron has. I have the cheaper non-backlit model and it stinks when you need to read it in low light!
Oklahomie and pkinneb like this.
post #717 of 748 Old 04-20-2019, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yesterday we had our first official movie. Instead of infinity war, we watched aqua man. Holy cow what an experience!... I ended up having to turn down the bass because some members of my family couldn’t take it; it was quite loud. My family was blown away by the entire experience. I think I’ve turned them away from the traditional movie theater experience (wasn’t Intentional ).

After the movie, we watched the OKC Thunder playoff l game, which was equally as cool! The game to life in the theater room. It was like you truly there. You could hear the roar of the fans, the squeak of the players shoes, the background music playing, the yelling of the players - very engaging experience.

We also have the popcorn machine a good run!

Tonight will be the second showing - infinity war. I think all 8 seats are sold out! More family. I think tonight we will pull out the margarita machine and give it some good use as well.

Next item on my list is figuring out automation for lighting and AV controls. AND I still need to build the panels for the entrance door.

Aaron H.

Aaron H.

Last edited by Oklahomie; 04-20-2019 at 03:12 PM.
post #718 of 748 Old 04-20-2019, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Excellent!

Sony XBR65x900e / STR-DN1080 / original PS4 / WOW! Ultra TV / Quantum Access Mini PC Stick w/Windows 10 / 8 x Rockville SPG88 8“ DJ PA Speakers / Dayton Audio SA1000 / Kicker 08S15L74 in a Tapped-Tapered Quarter Wave Tube (negative flare tapped horn).
post #719 of 748 Old 04-21-2019, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Send a message via Skype™ to Cold_Country
Great Job Aaron!! Now you get to ENJOY!! I wish I was in the same boat ... but I see at least a couple more months of building in my future!

One question now that you have the projector up and running: I always liked the white crown and base colors you used, but I was concerned about the reflection from it ... so I was going to go with black crown, base and chair rail.

However, from your pics, I don't see a lot of reflection. How do you find it? Is it distracting ... or is it no bother at all?
post #720 of 748 Old 04-21-2019, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold_Country View Post
Great Job Aaron!! Now you get to ENJOY!! I wish I was in the same boat ... but I see at least a couple more months of building in my future!

One question now that you have the projector up and running: I always liked the white crown and base colors you used, but I was concerned about the reflection from it ... so I was going to go with black crown, base and chair rail.

However, from your pics, I don't see a lot of reflection. How do you find it? Is it distracting ... or is it no bother at all?

I don’t find it distracting at all. As I go back and look at pictures I’ve taken, in really bright scenes, you can see them in the picture, and they stand out a little bit, but during the movie, it’s never even been a thought.

Aaron H.

Aaron H.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page