Construction has commenced again! Also, I completely redesigned the room.
In my last post, I said I was hoping to order drywall and green glue to go between the rafters... which I did, except it was 9 months later instead of 3 weeks. Yep, it's officially a DIY theater build now that there has been a 9 month delay.
Green glue and 48 sheets of 5/8" drywall were delivered last week, and I've just started the incredibly tedious process of cutting them down into ~16" wide pieces to sound treat against the subfloor above the theater. It feels good to get back to work on it! I suspect this will take me a few weeks to chip away at.
The reason for the long delay was budget. Right when I was about to order that stuff, a pair of Focal Aria 936 towers went on sale for half price at my local dealer. I had the Aria 906 book shelf speakers, and they just couldn't fill the space in our new house. It was still a $1500 upgrade/trade from the 906's I got for $1000, but the 936's normally cost $4k. That delayed the theater budget just long enough to hit winter here in Minnesota, so I waited until spring. I hate to say it, but the joy I have got out of the 936's for the last 9 months has been worth the delay with the theater.
The big news is that putting this thing on hold was the best move I could have done. I ended up completely redoing my plans and rotating the room 180 degrees. The result is a massive improvement! I've been scratching my head all winter trying to sort out how to run the HVAC. With the original plans, there was no way for me to have HVAC supply in at the front of the room and the return in the back without crossing the supply and return lines somehow in my rafters. I couldn't come up with a good way or place to do it. Two weeks ago I mused to myself how much easier it would be if the room was flipped, and I didn't have to try and cross the ducts.
That was my Eureka moment! The evolution of design is a funny thing. My original plans were facing the other way because of the windows. In the beginning I didn't want to block them with the screen, so I oriented the room with the windows at the back so I could still use them. Over time the design evolved to where the windows were going to get covered anyway and I would never open them. However, I never reconsidered the other orientation! I can't believe I've been fine tuning these plans for a YEAR and it never occurred to me to flip the room! I was just somehow stuck on my original idea.
Improvements due to flipping the room orientation:[*]running HVAC ducts greatly simplified and now very straight forward[*]have space for a soffit for the HVAC return along the rear ceiling (head room problem in the old plans)[*]more room for a slightly bigger screen at the front of the room since it's wider[*]front sound stage no longer right next to stairs (should help reduce sound transmission to the house)[*]gained room for 1 extra seat in the rear row[*]no longer entering the room at the rear elevation means more headroom when entering, no need to constantly step up or down unless you use the rear row, much easier riser construction[*]better speaker placement options for rears and surround[*]easier and bigger gear room location and wiring[*]it just looks better, and more natural
Beyond that, basic construction is the same plan with decoupled walls and clips for the ceiling with double drywall and GG for sound proofing. DIY acoustic panels made from GOM and OC703. I dropped the speaker columns in favor of recessing the speakers into the walls with backer boxes. Volt 6's can mount shallow enough that they will only stick out of my walls by 2" and the acoustic panels will stick out 2.5, so I can hide them completely behind the panels. I'm saving effort by skipping the columns, but will be making far more acoustic panels, so it's probably a wash.
I had to bump up the brightness from the Sketchup renders, but the room will be relatively dark. I'm making the acoustic panels on the walls vary in depth, and be either 2.5" or 1.5" thick.
Entering the room:
Views of seating:
And then I'm planning on ceiling trim that has LED strip lighting running through it like this: