The Hideaway Theater - Page 115 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3465Likes

post #3421 of 4038 Old 09-09-2019, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by trhought View Post
Adam...Thanks...correct. Follow the wiring for the 4 exactly as pictured. Then, just simply wire those 2 pairs in series. So, basically, the positive lead from your amplifier will be wired to the positive lead of the first speaker pair, then the negative lead of the first speaker pair will go to the positive lead of the second speaker pair (yeah, you read that right, negative goes to positive), then the negative lead from the second pair will go to the negative lead of the amplifier to complete the circuit.

Hope this helps.

Many thanks Tim for the clarification.

I will get started.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3422 of 4038 Old 09-09-2019, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
PakZX3.....Thanks for the update and bummer about your discovery. Our pull out almost touches the floor below when folded up also.

Did you happen to check for any clearance between that pull-out mechanism and the back of the couch when the pull out mechanism is fully retracted into the couch. In my case, there's about 6" of clearance in the horizontal direction between the back of the couch and the (plastic/canvas) material of the mattress support. If you have about 6" of clearance or more, you should be able to squeeze them in there. I posted a few days ago above (not sure if you seen it)....don't be afraid if the back of the couch and that pull out material (plastic/canvas material) is touching the driver cage on either side. My drivers cages are actually flexing the back of the couch slightly from the contact with the JBL's but the BOSS experience is still great.

If you don't have the 6" clearance, then, yeah....a cantilever design will work. If it were me, I get a new sheet of plywood for $30-40 and save your current platform for another project down the road. BOSS platform rigidity is very important and cantilever designs even more so since the isolators won't be below the back legs of the couch anymore but will instead be further back closer to the centerline of the JBL's.

Hope this helps.
Hey Tim,

Wish my couch had the same space like yours does. Basically the pull-out mechanism sits right against the back frame, so there's no space for the driver unless I do it as a cantilevered setup. I'll take another look at it tonight to verify if there's any way I can get it squeezed in there.

I'm honestly debating building a frame from 1x4's as a base since I need to attach the 2 platforms together anyway. Plus I won't have to rent another truck to bring home a sheet of ply. DesertDog's frame was impressive, so it might be a little easier for me to do that.
trhought likes this.
post #3423 of 4038 Old 09-09-2019, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 730 Post(s)
Liked: 2069
Quote:
Originally Posted by PakZX3 View Post
I'm honestly debating building a frame from 1x4's as a base since I need to attach the 2 platforms together anyway. Plus I won't have to rent another truck to bring home a sheet of ply. DesertDog's frame was impressive, so it might be a little easier for me to do that.
The 1x4 and 1x6 frame I built has worked really well. It's been solid for me and I get great TR out of it. That said, when I do my BOSSac 2.0 expansion this fall I think that when I replace the outer edge (new design requires a longer board) that I might go with 2x4 and 2x6 to get a little more stiffness. The inside I'll keep the say 1x structure. I think it'll make for a nice combo.
trhought likes this.

BEQ Slack group
The struggle is real for Generation Xplain Digital to the Analog and Analog to the Digital.
Klipsch RF-7III, RC-64III
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
Sony 85X900F, Denon 8500, nVidia Shield, Apple TV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3424 of 4038 Old 09-09-2019, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 793 Post(s)
Liked: 1327
Quote:
Hey Tim,

Wish my couch had the same space like yours does. Basically the pull-out mechanism sits right against the back frame, so there's no space for the driver unless I do it as a cantilevered setup. I'll take another look at it tonight to verify if there's any way I can get it squeezed in there.

We have 3 sleeper sofas in the house and I just checked all of them. 2 of the 3 had the space due to a 6" bend radius where the mattress folds over. That bend radius allows enough room. However, the third one had a small piece at the head of the pull out mechanism that folds in a way that it takes up the entire space when fully stowed away. My guess is yours is like the latter unfortunately.

Yep....I recall DesertDog's riser being well-engineered and the joinery was pretty stout. I don't recall all the details but I'm sure he'll hook you up if he hasn't already.
post #3425 of 4038 Old 09-09-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
We have 3 sleeper sofas in the house and I just checked all of them. 2 of the 3 had the space due to a 6" bend radius where the mattress folds over. That bend radius allows enough room. However, the third one had a small piece at the head of the pull out mechanism that folds in a way that it takes up the entire space when fully stowed away. My guess is yours is like the latter unfortunately.

Yep....I recall DesertDog's riser being well-engineered and the joinery was pretty stout. I don't recall all the details but I'm sure he'll hook you up if he hasn't already.

I just double checked mine, it’s just like the 3rd one you have. Folds all the way back to basically the back edge of the sofa. Thanks for checking yours.

Think I’ll go the frame route and join the two pieces to add the additional depth. This will also give me a lot more structure between the chaise and the sleeper section as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trhought likes this.
post #3426 of 4038 Old 09-12-2019, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 27
So - I got this project all finished. The results have been awesome; game changing, for me.

I have a JTR Captivator 4000 - and it produces plenty of bass. But, my chair used to sit on a concrete foundation. Because of that, I didn't get much shake. That was then, this is now. The 3 driver mini BOSS crushes it. I get great tactile response, now - and I love it. It feels so naturally integrated, too - it doesn't feel like an amusement ride or anything.

Anyway, I'm totally delighted with this. Here's my biggest issue: I have theater seats with little side tables. My Logitech remote sits there - and with the added vibrations - keeps waking itself up, which is slightly distracting. Has anyone else had this issue?/Have a clever solution?

I had to use rubber coasters to keep drinks from vibrating off the table.. maybe a little rubber mat would do the trick? Or - maybe it's just the cost of doing business.. In which case, I'll gladly accept that trade.

If you're on the fence - and you've wanted more tactile response - I'd for sure encourage to give this a shot.

Thanks for all the help!
trhought likes this.
post #3427 of 4038 Old 09-12-2019, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudexxi View Post
So - I got this project all finished. The results have been awesome; game changing, for me.

I have a JTR Captivator 4000 - and it produces plenty of bass. But, my chair used to sit on a concrete foundation. Because of that, I didn't get much shake. That was then, this is now. The 3 driver mini BOSS crushes it. I get great tactile response, now - and I love it. It feels so naturally integrated, too - it doesn't feel like an amusement ride or anything.

Anyway, I'm totally delighted with this. Here's my biggest issue: I have theater seats with little side tables. My Logitech remote sits there - and with the added vibrations - keeps waking itself up, which is slightly distracting. Has anyone else had this issue?/Have a clever solution?

I had to use rubber coasters to keep drinks from vibrating off the table.. maybe a little rubber mat would do the trick? Or - maybe it's just the cost of doing business.. In which case, I'll gladly accept that trade.

If you're on the fence - and you've wanted more tactile response - I'd for sure encourage to give this a shot.

Thanks for all the help!
Thanks for the update and great to hear you're now enjoying ULF TR to the max! I've found the rubber mats linked below are great for keeping stuff where they belong during spirited BOSS listening sessions. They don't stick, there's no adhesive....just a soft rubber mat that is oh so grippy. Just set one of these mats on the table and anything that's sitting on top won't move unless you want it to.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy your new BOSS and re-experiencing all your favorite movies and demos again. Not sure if you listen to music. But, the BOSS with music is also something to behold....it delivers a very natural and commanding low end providing a nice foundation for the other instruments and vocals to snap into place for improved directionality and clarity.

Rubber anit-slip mat link

https://www.amazon.com/Ganvol-Anti-S...8309559&sr=8-3
post #3428 of 4038 Old 09-12-2019, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked: 670
Quote:

Thanks for all the help!

I would say it's just the cost of doing the business of TR... I have theater seats which allow for different add-ons like tables and stuff. I had to take out the tables and stuff the holes with foam to reduce vibrations/noises and just put my remotes in one of the seats or in my lap most times. It's definitely worth it though!
trhought likes this.
post #3429 of 4038 Old 09-12-2019, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked: 2222
Quote:
My Logitech remote sits there - and with the added vibrations - keeps waking itself up, which is slightly distracting. Has anyone else had this issue?/Have a clever solution?
Put it face down?
Michael
Jive Turkey likes this.
post #3430 of 4038 Old 09-12-2019, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
Put it face down?
Michael
Yes, good point....face down works for my Logitech remote so the light doesn't come on all the time.
post #3431 of 4038 Old 09-13-2019, 07:10 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 48
In the middle of a full reno of my HT and will soon be at the carpet install stage.
My mini BOSS riser will be revamped to be only for a 2 seater loveseat at the front row.
Previously I had the BOSS running on top of carpet, underpad, plywood, DMX airflow then the concrete floor.

Would it provide a better TR response if I were to omit the carpet and underpad and run the BOSS platform and iso's directly onto the plywood subfloor?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	subfloor.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	2614620  
post #3432 of 4038 Old 09-13-2019, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Previous BOSS install for reference
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_0734.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	220.0 KB
ID:	2614622   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_0730.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	232.4 KB
ID:	2614624  
Ladeback and pkinneb like this.
post #3433 of 4038 Old 09-13-2019, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricE View Post
In the middle of a full reno of my HT and will soon be at the carpet install stage.
My mini BOSS riser will be revamped to be only for a 2 seater loveseat at the front row.
Previously I had the BOSS running on top of carpet, underpad, plywood, DMX airflow then the concrete floor.

Would it provide a better TR response if I were to omit the carpet and underpad and run the BOSS platform and iso's directly onto the plywood subfloor?
Eric....Thanks for the details. That's a great looking BOSS platform! Good question. If you use the carpet savers linked in Post 29, that will provide a solid foundation to rest the isolators if wishing to have carpet underneath the BOSS platform for aesthetic reasons. Otherwise, constructing on top of the plywood directly will be OK also....this would save a bit of money (less carpet/padding and not having to buy the carpet savers for each isolator).

Both will provide a great BOSS experience...it just depends on your goals and final look you want to achieve.

Hope this helps.
post #3434 of 4038 Old 09-14-2019, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Just getting round to the wiring now & a thought crossed my mind whilst doing so.

Will 12 AWG wire I am using be a thick enough gauge for the eight MB Quarts I am using on one channel?

I presume it will be fine but I thought I would ask here just in case.
post #3435 of 4038 Old 09-14-2019, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAttewell View Post
Just getting round to the wiring now & a thought crossed my mind whilst doing so.

Will 12 AWG wire I am using be a thick enough gauge for the eight MB Quarts I am using on one channel?

I presume it will be fine but I thought I would ask here just in case.
Adam.....Thanks...yes, 12 AWG is good for your BOSS. It really depends on the length of the run from your amplifier to the BOSS platform and the current the wire is carrying. But, that run would have to be 100-150 feet or so before you'd have to start worrying about the size being too small.

Hope this helps.
AdamAttewell likes this.
post #3436 of 4038 Old 09-17-2019, 01:22 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Thanks for pointing me to this thread. I think I’m going to try this in my build. A couple of questions.

1. Have you considered creating a website about this subject? With 115 pages this thread is massive and even with the pointers at the start it takes a while to take everything in. A website with instructions, case studies, frequently asked questions etc might help new builders. I’m happy to assist with that if you’d consider it.

2. I was thinking of creating a riser just high enough to be able to load the drivers with the magnets in, and then put a static riser of the same height around it so it blends in. Do you have experience with putting the carpeting from the boss to a regular riser, allowing the carpet to stretch a bit but ensuring you don’t see the gap? Also, how much does the riser typically lower when someone steps or sits on it? Or is it sturdy enough to not really give way when stepped on?

3. With a full size riser, would the riser have to be open on the bottom to keep it an ‘open baffle’? Or can I use 2 plywood sheets for top and bottom?
idean likes this.

Last edited by ijansch; 09-17-2019 at 01:40 AM.
post #3437 of 4038 Old 09-17-2019, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijansch View Post
Thanks for pointing me to this thread. I think I’m going to try this in my build. A couple of questions.

1. Have you considered creating a website about this subject? With 115 pages this thread is massive and even with the pointers at the start it takes a while to take everything in. A website with instructions, case studies, frequently asked questions etc might help new builders. I’m happy to assist with that if you’d consider it.

2. I was thinking of creating a riser just high enough to be able to load the drivers with the magnets in, and then put a static riser of the same height around it so it blends in. Do you have experience with putting the carpeting from the boss to a regular riser, allowing the carpet to stretch a bit but ensuring you don’t see the gap? Also, how much does the riser typically lower when someone steps or sits on it? Or is it sturdy enough to not really give way when stepped on?

3. With a full size riser, would the riser have to be open on the bottom to keep it an ‘open baffle’? Or can I use 2 plywood sheets for top and bottom?
ijansch....Thanks for the note and questions about your BOSS design. I am considering a website with details on this technology. Stay tuned.

For your full size riser being planned, if you use 6" lumber for the framing with 3/4" plywood on top of that framing, that will be enough space to accommodate the prescribed JBL's with the magnets into the cabinet. If a 6" high riser is too high, there's also a low profile MBQuart driver linked in Post 29 that can be used instead (the MBQuart DS1-304 driver). This driver would allow the platform to be constructed of 4" lumber with 3/4" plywood on top since it's only 3.5" deep.

If you used the 1.25" hemisphere isolators linked in Post 29, the gap between your BOSS riser and the floor below will only be .5" and this won't be noticeable especially after carpet. This is how my back row riser is constructed and the gap disappears. Others are using this same construction technique and the smaller isolators for their full size risers with great results. With these smaller isolators, there's only about an 1/8" compression when people are stepping onto and off the platform...it's not noticeable. With the larger 2.5" hemisphere isolators needed for a mini-riser, those compress about a half inch when stepping onto or off the platform. But once seated, the compression is only about a 1/4" since that load gets distributed around the platform.

If you want to have a static platform surrounding your BOSS platform as you describe, I don't see any problems bridging that gap with carpet. Just be sure there's a gap all the way around the perimeter of the BOSS platform so that it's not touching the static riser at any point or this will rob TR from your butt. Also, make sure to allow the BOSS platform inside the static platform to breath easily since it's an open baffle design. Since you probably don't want the gap between the static and BOSS platform to be very big, I'd suggest making openings in the sides of the static riser to allow some breathing room for the drivers in an open baffle configuration.

Too keep your BOSS design simple and performing at it's maximum, keep the bottom of the riser open to allow some breathing space. This will ensure an open baffle and great BOSS performance for any application.

Sealed BOSS risers are becoming popular. But, they have to be engineered to deliver maximum performance since the sealed riser will limit excursion of the drivers which isn't desireable. Sealed BOSS platforms also provide SPL which can help smooth in-room bass response for every seat. The sealed cabinet needs to be engineered to provide the optimum SPL while also maximizing the BOSS shaker potential. There's a few variables that go into sealed BOSS designs but it can be done with great results once those variables are optimized to work together. If interested in a sealed BOSS design, send me a PM. Since there's some engineering time involved with sealed BOSS setups, there's a one time fee for the delivered design package. That package includes dimensional drawings customized for your room layout. A materials list that includes details on lumber type, insulation type, number of drivers, type of drivers, isolator details, needed power for the custom sealed BOSS, wiring diagrams, etc.

If you want to simply experience BOSS technology in an open baffle, just build the designs described in Post 29 and enjoy.

It's probably one of the easiest builds on AVS......the cuts don't have to be very accurate and the design is very forgiving since it's an open baffle design.

As always, please let us know of any questions that come up as your design comes into focus.

Hope this helps.
idean likes this.
post #3438 of 4038 Old 09-17-2019, 09:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 445
BOSS for The Litterbox

I built my two platform BOSS this weekend, though I'll need to take it all apart to paint them

The JBL CS1214 subs would not fit within the power recline mechanism of the chairs, and so I followed the cantilever design. I bought an 18mm thick 13-ply 4x8 sheet of Russian Birch and ripped it into two panels of 40x48. It's extremely stiff, and at $100/sheet I'm glad I didn't need the $150/sheet 24mm 18-ply!

As you can see in the picture, the right platform connects up to the left platform (in parallel) with each platform's subs wired in series. After building a set of DIYSG Titan 615LX a couple of years ago, I really love SpeakOn connectors and had several spare to use here for power to the platforms and then the umbilical between them. BTW the rubber mats on top are cut up from a neoprene sheet I had, and cut this up as anti-skid for now.

I still need to finish the final wiring (my remodel already included 12AWG behind the second row, so just need to run a cable under the second row riser to that) and place the amp in my equipment closest. Then set up the MiniDSP 2x4HD to tune and undo the effect of Anthem's room correction for the BOSS.

After I had the first platform in on Saturday, I asked my eldest daughter if she wanted to try it for a couple of minutes. She watched all of Rampage She loves it. I like what I've experienced so far, but need to tone the amp volume down a little and I think reduce the LPF setting. The Buttkicker amp I'm using (BKA1000N) has a min LPF of 40Hz which feels a little too high to me as I felt some effects too much I wasn't expecting to. I'm going to try 30Hz with the MiniDSP, hopefully this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190915_132454.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	2617002   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190915_125923.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	2617006   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190914_140951.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	2617008  
trhought, Kevnmin and pkinneb like this.

Last edited by dlinsley; 09-17-2019 at 10:01 PM.
post #3439 of 4038 Old 09-17-2019, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlinsley View Post
I built my two platform BOSS this weekend, though I'll need to take it all apart to paint them

The JBL CS1214 subs would not fit within the power recline mechanism of the chairs, and so I followed the cantilever design. I bought an 18mm thick 13-ply 4x8 sheet of Russian Birch and ripped it into two panels of 40x48. It's extremely stiff, and at $100/sheet I'm glad I didn't need the $150/sheet 24mm 18-ply!

As you can see in the picture, the right platform connects up to the left platform (in parallel) with each platform's subs wired in series. After building a set of DIYSG Titan 615LX a couple of years ago, I really love SpeakOn connectors and had several spare to use here for power to the platforms and then the umbilical between them. BTW the rubber mats on top are cut up from a neoprene sheet I had, and cut this up as anti-skid for now.

I still need to finish the final wiring (my remodel already included 12AWG behind the second row, so just need to run a cable under the second row riser to that) and place the amp in my equipment closest. Then set up the MiniDSP 2x4HD to tune and undo the effect of Anthem's room correction for the BOSS.

After I had the first platform in on Saturday, I asked my eldest daughter if she wanted to try it for a couple of minutes. She watched all of Rampage She loves it. I like what I've experienced so far, but need to tone the amp volume down a little and I think reduce the LPF setting. The Buttkicker amp I'm using (BKA1000N) has a min LPF of 40Hz which feels a little too high to me as I felt some effects too much I wasn't expecting to. I'm going to try 30Hz with the MiniDSP, hopefully this weekend.
dlinsley....Thanks for sharing your build pictures. Those are some impressive platforms and a creative use of custom plywood for increased rigidity. Nice work. The Speakon connectors look professional and tough!

Great to hear your eldest has approved. Fun times are ahead as you all get to enjoy your favorite movies all over again. Rampage is a great choice for a first experience. I can imagine why she ended up watching it all. Pretty much non-stop wobbles once the action begins!

Looks great.

Welcome to the BOSS family!
post #3440 of 4038 Old 09-18-2019, 04:37 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 23
First Attempt with Boss in India ;-)

Hey!!

I am from India,, and unable to get most of the models..,, can someone help me too,, how's this model from pioneer compared to the jbl's
Its tsw306r

Product specifications.

https://www.pioneer-car.eu/eur/products/ts-w306r/specifications

Thanks in advance for the help..
trhought likes this.
post #3441 of 4038 Old 09-18-2019, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 383
I did a test over the weekend using the liftoff scene from First Man. Move as is, movie with BEQ, and movie with BEQ and BOSS.

As most probably know here, the movie as is is pretty much crippled in the bass department. Adding BEQ was a nice improvement, but with ported subs tuned to about 18 Hz it wasn't a night and day difference. I was surprised that BEQ didn't make a bigger difference here as it did with other bass stinkers (Atomic Blonde, Star Trek: Beyond). However adding the BOSS into the equation was amazing. I guess the real "added" bass from BEQ was lower than what my subs could do with any real authority. The TR produces is probably comparable to what people with suspended floors are chasing with lots of sealed subs (or huge ported subs blasting straight into your back). I still can't believe what about $200 in parts can add to a system. The best thing is that for people without dedicated theaters, it takes up virtually no room. Biggest WAF ever if you want big bass in your living room. If you're on the fence - make it happen!
DigiWega, m0j0, trhought and 2 others like this.
post #3442 of 4038 Old 09-18-2019, 10:55 AM
Oh ya I'm a Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by varun432 View Post
Hey!!

I am from India,, and unable to get most of the models..,, can someone help me too,, how's this model from pioneer compared to the jbl's

Its tsw306r

Product specifications.

https://www.pioneer-car.eu/eur/produ...specifications

I'm no expert in this area so there's my disclaimer!
According to the info I've gathered from the thread, I would bet that would be a good candidate. The qts is over .7 and the fs is low at 25hz.
Hopefully someone here can model it for you to confirm before you commit to buying.
trhought likes this.

klaatu barada nik*cough*
Denon AVR-X4300H/Turd Sony- 7.4.4
Polk Rti A9 LCR, Volt6 Surrounds and Heights
Inuke 3000,6000- 2x HO18 sealed, 2x Ultimax18 sealed, MiniDSP HD
PT ae8000 Projector, Sony UBP-X800, Harmony Elite, Falcon 110 2:35.1 Screen
post #3443 of 4038 Old 09-18-2019, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 17
[QUOTE=ijansch;58568384]..With 115 pages this thread is massive and even with the pointers at the start it takes a while to take everything in. A website with instructions, case studies, frequently asked questions etc might help new builders...

I laughed a little when I read your post. Size being relative, check out the ATMOS thread if you think this thread is massive. That aside, my impression has consistently been that this thread is exceptionally well moderated and as such is kept up to date in terms of providing the reader with the essentials required to build a state of the art BOSS system in the 1st couple pages (with the possible lone exclusion of the incredible pneumatic suspension system, which for some unknown reason just isn't getting the love it so deserves - ). All the same, the participants & moderator here have been great at helping out with any follow on questions, so FWIW, I give this thread really high marks on all accounts. It's also worth noting that this thead is unusually well focused & free of interpersonal BS - unlike so many others. Keep up the great work people!
m0j0 and Kevnmin like this.
post #3444 of 4038 Old 09-18-2019, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hey!!

Its tsw306r

Product specifications.

https://www.pioneer-car.eu/eur/produ...specifications

varun....welcome to the BOSS club! Great to hear about the first India BOSS to my knowledge. Very cool!

The Pioneer TSW306R looks like a very capable BOSS driver. With an Xmax multiplier of .98 times that of the baseline JBL (11.7mm vs. 12.0mm) and an Mms multiplier of .86 (154g vs. 179g), those combine to provide a shaker potential of .84 that of the baseline JBL. A very good BOSS driver candidate.

The other cool thing about that driver, it only takes about 20 watts to reach Xmax so it won't take much amplifier power for your BOSS platform.

Looking forward to learning more about your design.

As always, let us know if you have any more questions as your design comes into focus.

Welcome aboard!
post #3445 of 4038 Old 09-18-2019, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidacat View Post
I did a test over the weekend using the liftoff scene from First Man. Move as is, movie with BEQ, and movie with BEQ and BOSS.

As most probably know here, the movie as is is pretty much crippled in the bass department. Adding BEQ was a nice improvement, but with ported subs tuned to about 18 Hz it wasn't a night and day difference. I was surprised that BEQ didn't make a bigger difference here as it did with other bass stinkers (Atomic Blonde, Star Trek: Beyond). However adding the BOSS into the equation was amazing. I guess the real "added" bass from BEQ was lower than what my subs could do with any real authority. The TR produces is probably comparable to what people with suspended floors are chasing with lots of sealed subs (or huge ported subs blasting straight into your back). I still can't believe what about $200 in parts can add to a system. The best thing is that for people without dedicated theaters, it takes up virtually no room. Biggest WAF ever if you want big bass in your living room. If you're on the fence - make it happen!
Spidacat....Thanks for the update on your BOSS experience and how it has enhanced your movie watching experience. Great points about the cost and also about the WAF.....a win/win! It's really cool to hear the testimonials as more BOSS's are born! Thanks for sharing.

I love the opening scene in First Man....it feels like we're right there in the experimental rocket as the g's increase...both going out of the atmosphere and coming back in. Love it!
post #3446 of 4038 Old 09-18-2019, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

[quote=Longeze;58577296]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijansch View Post
..With 115 pages this thread is massive and even with the pointers at the start it takes a while to take everything in. A website with instructions, case studies, frequently asked questions etc might help new builders...

I laughed a little when I read your post. Size being relative, check out the ATMOS thread if you think this thread is massive. That aside, my impression has consistently been that this thread is exceptionally well moderated and as such is kept up to date in terms of providing the reader with the essentials required to build a state of the art BOSS system in the 1st couple pages (with the possible lone exclusion of the incredible pneumatic suspension system, which for some unknown reason just isn't getting the love it so deserves - ). All the same, the participants & moderator here have been great at helping out with any follow on questions, so FWIW, I give this thread really high marks on all accounts. It's also worth noting that this thead is unusually well focused & free of interpersonal BS - unlike so many others. Keep up the great work people!
Longeze....Thanks for the feedback. Always appreciate hearing about others experience and impressions regarding ease of use or lack there of when reading the first page or so of this thread. There's a lot of information there and sometimes when I read it, I'm reminded of all the information that's included there. It just takes a couple re-reads for it to start sinking in. Always good to hear others impressions as we work to continuously improve.

As always, there will be questions even after reading those guidelines and introductions because each application is different in some unique way. That's why the thread has become so long but I'm always grateful for the questions because it's been a great journey and learning experience because of those unique challenges that have come up.

And, your pneumatic BOSS is so cool because it takes the original BOSS design and combines some of the design elements resulting in an improvement of the BOSS experience. Love it when that happens!
post #3447 of 4038 Old 09-18-2019, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 101
How about starting a new thread with a more appropriate title and putting all the info in the first post ?

That way it will be easier for others to find and read
Medi0gre likes this.
post #3448 of 4038 Old 09-19-2019, 04:08 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Thanks for the response...

Shall purchase 2 of them initially..
I already have a very rigid platform riser of 10 inches for my main 3 seats..

Now the tricky part is getting those silicone isolators..
The same product is not available in India..
What I am getting are those silicone rubber balls, which would then be required to be cut in half.. I have no way of comparing the softness with these isolators..

Incase I am unable to determine the right isolator would it be better to err on softer side or harder side for these isolators...
post #3449 of 4038 Old 09-19-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the response...

Shall purchase 2 of them initially..
I already have a very rigid platform riser of 10 inches for my main 3 seats..

Now the tricky part is getting those silicone isolators..
The same product is not available in India..
What I am getting are those silicone rubber balls, which would then be required to be cut in half.. I have no way of comparing the softness with these isolators..

Incase I am unable to determine the right isolator would it be better to err on softer side or harder side for these isolators...
Softer. Durometer 40 is what you want. So if you can find the specs of whatever you'll be using, try to keep it at or below a Durometer 40.

https://mykin.com/rubber-hardness-chart

I did not order the recommended isolators as it was cost prohibitive for the size of my BOSS. Here's what I ordered.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
trhought likes this.
post #3450 of 4038 Old 09-19-2019, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
I did not order the recommended isolators as it was cost prohibitive for the size of my BOSS. Here's what I ordered.
How many did you use, and can you share details of the construction? I’m having trouble deciding how to keep the bottom of the riser open, 6” high but sturdy enough to carry the weight of the seats and not wobble or rattle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction