The Hideaway Theater - Page 120 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3494Likes

post #3571 of 4082 Old 10-09-2019, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 202
The Hideaway Theater

Quote:
Originally Posted by superkyle View Post
Nice that’s actually a great idea. With is nailed to the frame would I need to worry about generating any spl since it may provide back pressure on the driver?

I really like what you did with the terminal cup mount. Turned out awesome. How many drivers did you use and how do you like your results?

As long as you don’t completely seal the drivers into the couch, you should be fine. You can add some stiffening ribs as well if needed, either plywood or 2x4. The goal is to couple the driver frame to the couch as effectively as possible, and decouple the couch from the floor as effectively as possible.

Scroll up for the rest of my build. Posts #3557 and #3560.
I’m absolutely loving it, especially for the cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a77cj7; 10-09-2019 at 06:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3572 of 4082 Old 10-09-2019, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
1.25" Platinum Silicone Hemisphere Bumper, Non-Skid Isolation Feet with Adhesive | 20 Duro | 8 Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075KHNK62..._VzMNDbN2AJS19

This look correct for the feet? I want to make sure I have enough as I don’t want to put too much weight on them and basically just squish them

Those are the correct feet.
I cant say for certain that they won’t squish, as I’m using the 2.5”. Other people in this thread have used the 1.25” under very heavy full risers with good results. You can start scrolling, lol.
Worst case you’re out 20 bucks and have to go to bigger ones. I just figured you want to lift the couch as little as possible.
I’m just guessing those couch feet are big enough for 2 also, you should measure.
Chris

post #3573 of 4082 Old 10-09-2019, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by a77cj7 View Post
Those are the correct feet.
I cant say for certain that they won’t squish, as I’m using the 2.5”. Other people in this thread have used the 1.25” under very heavy full risers with good results. You can start scrolling, lol.
Worst case you’re out 20 bucks and have to go to bigger ones. I just figured you want to lift the couch as little as possible.
I’m just guessing those couch feet are big enough for 2 also, you should measure.
Chris

Yeah I may be able to fit three but let’s start with 2 each then grow as needed. Just ordered 4 drivers and 8 feet. Now just need the speak on connector and I will pick up the plywood on Friday.

Always destroying exergy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3574 of 4082 Old 10-11-2019, 07:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 16
done with carpeting. i wished i had made an overhang for some lighting. now i need to come up with some way for ppl not to trip when they step down during movie.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191010_215506.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	995.8 KB
ID:	2626488  
ijansch likes this.
post #3575 of 4082 Old 10-11-2019, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked: 1342
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtdfusion View Post
done with carpeting. i wished i had made an overhang for some lighting. now i need to come up with some way for ppl not to trip when they step down during movie.
Looks awesome! Nice job. If you have the prescribed .5" gap between the bottom of the BOSS riser and the platform below it, you can place led strips inside the platform shining out of the gaps. That would not only provide a very cool effect but also provide a visual cue that there's a step there. I'm doing something similar for our back row and it works great for safety and aesthetics.

Sorry for the slow response on your earlier questions.....been traveling a lot lately. You were asking about whether to cut holes in the carpet to make the JBL's visible. Yes, you should do this to maximize driver excursion and avoid any possible "slapping" which could occur during spirited listening sessions. With carpeting covering the drivers, there's the added possibility of creating some back pressure on the front wave which would not only change the response in the forward direction and limit excursion but also create more non-linearities between the forward cone movement and the backward cone movement....all these things aren't good and should be avoided if possible.

Your BOSS platform and theater color scheme look incredible. Well done!

Enjoy.
post #3576 of 4082 Old 10-11-2019, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah I may be able to fit three but let’s start with 2 each then grow as needed. Just ordered 4 drivers and 8 feet. Now just need the speak on connector and I will pick up the plywood on Friday.
superkyle......welcome aboard the BOSS train! Great to see you hear.

You were asking about the isolators and the squish factor. Don't be too concerned about how much squish occurs. The 2 most important aspects of isolators are the durometer (softness) and the final height after squishing. For full size risers, .5" clearance between the bottom of the riser and the floor is a good target. This allows the "breathing" necessary for open baffle operation but isn't too much of a gap that can start to get noticeable as it gets bigger.

For mini-risers, the target is a 1" gap to allow for the .5" gasket on the JBL's and the required .5" necessary for open baffle operation.

For a hybrid design like yours with the BOSS platform directly mounted to the couch bottom, the smaller the gap, the better since you don't want the added height of the isolators below your couch legs to be noticeable. Since you're on a hardwood floor from the picture you showed earlier, either the 1.25" or 1" hemispheres would would great. If you had carpet below, I'd recommend the 1.25" isolators along with the carpet savers linked in Post 29. You can also use the 1.25" isolators and the effect will be just as good, the couch will just be a bit higher off the floor is all.

Looking forward to learning more about your build and your impressions afterwards!
post #3577 of 4082 Old 10-11-2019, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a77cj7 View Post
Got my built in mini boss up and running last week. After lots of demo scenes and three movies, I’m absolutely loving it. I was just able to squeeze two of the jbl’s into each chair. Total of 6 drivers, wired to 6ohm load. Running off the one open channel of my crown dci8/300, so 300w rms.
Chris
Looks awesome Chris.....Thanks for sharing the pics and for your help with questions on this thread over the last few days.

Welcome to the BOSS family!
post #3578 of 4082 Old 10-11-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trhought View Post
Looks awesome! Nice job. If you have the prescribed .5" gap between the bottom of the BOSS riser and the platform below it, you can place led strips inside the platform shining out of the gaps. That would not only provide a very cool effect but also provide a visual cue that there's a step there. I'm doing something similar for our back row and it works great for safety and aesthetics.

Sorry for the slow response on your earlier questions.....been traveling a lot lately. You were asking about whether to cut holes in the carpet to make the JBL's visible. Yes, you should do this to maximize driver excursion and avoid any possible "slapping" which could occur during spirited listening sessions. With carpeting covering the drivers, there's the added possibility of creating some back pressure on the front wave which would not only change the response in the forward direction and limit excursion but also create more non-linearities between the forward cone movement and the backward cone movement....all these things aren't good and should be avoided if possible.

Your BOSS platform and theater color scheme look incredible. Well done!

Enjoy.
i did end up cutting holes in the carpet for the drivers. i tried to put led strip under the riser but the corner turns pissed me off so i took it off. i guess ill give it another try this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20191009_204107.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	835.9 KB
ID:	2626594  
post #3579 of 4082 Old 10-11-2019, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2fly3 View Post
I just got my platforms hooked up last night. I'm not 100% done, but did have a chance to try them. Not sure I have things quite right as the feel wasn't all I expected. Maybe my expectations are too high, or some tweaking is needed. My main question is how do I know if I'm driving the JBL drivers (CX1200s) too hard? I don't want to damage them, but felt like I had more power to add if I could safely do it, either with the attenuators on the Amp or more gain. My Amp is a Crown K1 and I'm running 4 of the JBLs in series/parallel for a 4 ohm total load per row. That Amp has a max out to 4ohms in stereo of 550watts or so (manual states 550 watts is maximum average power in watts.) So if my calculations are right, that would mean about 137 or so watts per driver max. I know that is more than the suggested 80 so I did keep the gain and amp back a bit. Maybe I'm just not pushing them hard enough? Just don't know how to tell how much is too much? I'm just a bit ignorant when it comes to wattage, gain and driver capabilities.
luv2fly3.....Thanks for the details. Your math above is correct...about 137 watts RMS for each of the 4 JBL's which is more than enough for a BOSS alignment (open baffle).

I'd recommend playing some of your favorite full bandwidth bass demo material and just watch the drivers during those scenes. You should see quite a bit of cone movement during the scenes that are hitting low. Keep adjusting the gain upwards to increase the movement and if you start to hear strange sounds during some of the real heavy scenes, just back the gain down a bit and listen again. Then, listen to a few more favorite bass demo scenes to ensure there's no unusual noises. If there is, back the gain down a bit more.

Once you get things dialed in, you shouldn't have to mess with the gain any more.

As far as performance, if you followed the guidelines in Post 29, the experience should be immediately pleasing.....a natural and commanding ULF experience into the single digits. If it's not a pleasing experience, I'd suggest changing the polarity (phase) of the BOSS platform as prescribed in Post 29. Try it both in phase and out of phase. You should notice a big difference and one will feel much more natural and commanding than the other.

If that still doesn't work, I'd suggest posting a picture of your setup or describing your BOSS setup some more and we can help troubleshoot from there.

Hope this helps.
luv2fly3 likes this.
post #3580 of 4082 Old 10-11-2019, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
i did end up cutting holes in the carpet for the drivers. i tried to put led strip under the riser but the corner turns pissed me off so i took it off. i guess ill give it another try this weekend.
Thanks for sharing. Looks great. Yeah, those corner bends can be a pain with the LED strips. Some one needs to invent a "sharp corner adapter". I just sharply bent the strips at each corner and hoped the circuit integrity on the strip survived the bending. Fortunately, it did.
post #3581 of 4082 Old 10-11-2019, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Do you have some details or close ups of the carpet near the bottom border? How did you manage to get it perfectly straight and fastened without closing the gap?

post #3582 of 4082 Old 10-11-2019, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Finished my build, mostly. One of the plywood sheets decided to warp, so I'll probably re-do it, but right now I have it in place in the blind hope that it straightens itself out by magic.

I painted my plywood brown to match my chairs. My old car amp was unable to drive the speakers at 4ohm, so I bought a Fossi Audio TB10A amp for $70 from Amazon. It works great!

My chairs have rubber feet that act like isolators, so I jammed some scrap wood under the frame to lift them off - it made a huge amount of difference, so I'll replace their feet with something less bouncy.

All in all, I'm very happy! The 8" MB Quart DS1-204 may not have as much TR as the JBL, but it sure has plenty for me. John Wick 2 and Deadpool were amazing.

Most definitely the best bang for my buck in the whole room.

Pics below.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20191004_172105.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	2.27 MB
ID:	2626630   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191006_103444.jpg
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	2626632   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191006_145757.jpg
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	2626634   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20191006_145830.jpg
Size:	823.1 KB
ID:	2626636  
m0j0 and OJ Bartley like this.

Denon AVR-X4300H | Klipsch RB-61/RC-62 LCR | Klipsch R-12sWi | Cambridge MINX MIN 12 Front and Rear Heights
Micro-BOSS | Optoma UHD65 | 103" Seymour AV Center Stage UF AT screen

Last edited by idean; 10-11-2019 at 02:47 PM.
post #3583 of 4082 Old 10-11-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijansch View Post
Do you have some details or close ups of the carpet near the bottom border? How did you manage to get it perfectly straight and fastened without closing the gap?

I wrapped the carpet to the underside of the frame. Then i put the isolators sticking to the carpet surface. With the weight of the whole riser, the isolators dont have a problem staying in place. Ill take pic when i flip it up to do led lighting tomorrow. Its hard moving the theater chairs up and down by myself.
post #3584 of 4082 Old 10-11-2019, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idean View Post
Finished my build, mostly. One of the plywood sheets decided to warp, so I'll probably re-do it, but right now I have it in place in the blind hope that it straightens itself out by magic.

I painted my plywood brown to match my chairs. My old car amp was unable to drive the speakers at 4ohm, so I bought a Fossi Audio TB10A amp for $70 from Amazon. It works great!

My chairs have rubber feet that act like isolators, so I jammed some scrap wood under them to lift them off - it made a huge amount of difference, so I'll replace their feet with something less bouncy.

All in all, I'm very happy! The 8" MB Quart DS1-204 may not have as much TR as the JBL, but it sure has plenty for me. John Wick 2 and Deadpool were amazing.

Most definitely the best bang for my buck in the whole room.

Pics below.
Idean....Congrats! That's a great looking design and platform.

I don't think anyone will notice the warped plywood.

That's a good point about some furniture legs having rubber feet that will absorb the TR being generated by the BOSS. Great idea about adding the wood spacers to make the contact with the platform more rigid as a temporary measure.

So glad to hear you're liking your BOSS. It's amazing for movies and also for music if you happen to listen to music in your theater also.

Nice work and Thanks for sharing.

Enjoy!
post #3585 of 4082 Old 10-11-2019, 09:12 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by trhought View Post
luv2fly3.....Thanks for the details......

If that still doesn't work, I'd suggest posting a picture of your setup or describing your BOSS setup some more and we can help troubleshoot from there.

Hope this helps.
Thanks so much for your insight and help! Finished my platforms today and gave them a full test this evening. You developed a concept that is beyond awesome my friend! I don't have everything dialed in yet, but they sure add a whole new dimension to my theater experience. Thank you for your efforts and continued help with those of us incorporating your design! Here are a few pics of my build. I had to do one platform and driver per chair, but they work great! For reference, I did use the suggested isolators and carpet savers, which give me about 1/2" of clearance when the chairs are weighed down. And I think the lights off the chairs look pretty cool on the black platforms. Thanks again!

Spartans' Theater Build
7.2.4, 7 Seat Dedicated Theater

Last edited by luv2fly3; 10-11-2019 at 09:16 PM.
post #3586 of 4082 Old 10-11-2019, 09:36 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2fly3 View Post
Thanks so much for your insight and help! Finished my platforms today and gave them a full test this evening. You developed a concept that is beyond awesome my friend! I don't have everything dialed in yet, but they sure add a whole new dimension to my theater experience. Thank you for your efforts and continued help with those of us incorporating your design! Here are a few pics of my build. I had to do one platform and driver per chair, but they work great! For reference, I did use the suggested isolators and carpet savers, which give me about 1/2" of clearance when the chairs are weighed down. And I think the lights off the chairs look pretty cool on the black platforms. Thanks again!
They look great! Awesome theater too
luv2fly3 likes this.

My Theater Build - Full Circle Cinema
post #3587 of 4082 Old 10-12-2019, 02:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 911
Could anyone UK based recommend an amp for me? I plan on doing a one or two driver BOSS.. Someone has recommended these drivers but I haven't a clue as to which amp I'd need and it seems many are US versions..
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JBL-GT5-1...N/351799996117

LG OLED65B8 ~ HTPC ~ Oppo BDP-93 ~ PS3 ~ PS4 ~ Toshiba HD-XE1 ~ Harmony One
Marantz SR7011 ~ M&K LCR 851 & CS35 ~ 2x4HD ~ PSA S1811 x 2 ~ Behringer NX3000D & BOSS
PC - i7 4790k & GTX970
HTPC - i5 4690k & GTX1060

post #3588 of 4082 Old 10-12-2019, 03:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulst View Post
Could anyone UK based recommend an amp for me? I plan on doing a one or two driver BOSS.. Someone has recommended these drivers but I haven't a clue as to which amp I'd need and it seems many are US versions..
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JBL-GT5-1...N/351799996117
I use the inuke 6000 Paul. One channel drives my Quake 10b the other my 'temp' BOSS. If and when I get round to making this permanent, by adding another driver, I would still run this off the same BOSS channel. They do not require a lot of power.

Regarding that driver. I asked Harman the differences between the US CX1200 vs UK GT5-12. This is the reply:

Quote:
The GX1200 is a special Bestbuy shop version of our CX1200 which, you are correct are US only.

The GT5-12 is very similar to the CX1200, with the GT having slightly better specs, so the performance will be very similar if not slightly better with the GT5-12.
paulst likes this.
post #3589 of 4082 Old 10-12-2019, 03:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicj1 View Post
I use the inuke 6000 Paul. One channel drives my Quake 10b the other my 'temp' BOSS. If and when I get round to making this permanent, by adding another driver, I would still run this off the same BOSS channel. They do not require a lot of power.

Regarding that driver. I asked Harman the differences between the US CX1200 vs UK GT5-12. This is the reply:
Thanks, does it come in black? Also are they balanced connections? Just wondering about connectivity from my MiniDSP which is RCA..

Marantz SR7011 ~ M&K LCR 851 & CS35 ~ 2x4HD ~ PSA S1811 x 2 ~ Behringer NX3000D & BOSS
PC - i7 4790k & GTX970

post #3590 of 4082 Old 10-12-2019, 03:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks, does it come in black? Also are they balanced connections? Just wondering about connectivity from my MiniDSP which is RCA..

I think inuke have replaced the silver fascia with a black one:

https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and...8aAvRxEALw_wcB

I use RCA to XLR 'mini to inkue'
paulst likes this.
post #3591 of 4082 Old 10-12-2019, 03:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I think inuke have replaced the silver fascia with a black one:

https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and...8aAvRxEALw_wcB

I use RCA to XLR 'mini to inkue'
That's better, thanks Would that not be a bit overkill for a BOSS though? Just seen this one for much less https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and...Amplifier/2FZN O
Or this with DSP control (not sure if needed?) https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and...P-Control/2G82

Also would it be XLR to speaker cable from the amp to the drivers? (just trying to get my head around everything beforehand)

PC - i7 4790k & GTX970

post #3592 of 4082 Old 10-12-2019, 04:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That's better, thanks Would that not be a bit overkill for a BOSS though? Just seen this one for much less https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and...Amplifier/2FZN O
Or this with DSP control (not sure if needed?) https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and...P-Control/2G82

Also would it be XLR to speaker cable from the amp to the drivers? (just trying to get my head around everything beforehand)
Sorry. I just linked to a black inuke. Didn't mean to have DSP either 'your mini takes care of the this'. I think the NX1000 would be fine. I use Neutrik NL2FX out/speaker cable

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Neutrik-N....c100011.m1850

I would build your BOSS then buy the amp when ready. That way if you felt the NX1000 wasn't enough return and upgrade.
post #3593 of 4082 Old 10-12-2019, 04:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Sorry. I just linked to a black inuke. Didn't mean to have DSP either 'your mini takes care of the this'. I think the NX1000 would be fine. I use Neutrik NL2FX out/speaker cable

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Neutrik-N....c100011.m1850

I would build your BOSS then buy the amp when ready. That way if you felt the NX1000 wasn't enough return and upgrade.
Thanks, the same Neutrik as the ones that come with BK subs then.. I take it you terminate it yourself?

Yes, I plan to flip the sofa over later and cut away the fabric to see how much clearance there is (might even find some cash down there as well) , but yes getting the amp last makes sense.. I just like to know the ins and outs of every step before I jump in

PC - i7 4790k & GTX970

post #3594 of 4082 Old 10-12-2019, 04:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks, the same Neutrik as the ones that come with BK subs then.. I take it you terminate it yourself?

Yes, I plan to flip the sofa over later and cut away the fabric to see how much clearance there is (might even find some cash down there as well) , but yes getting the amp last makes sense.. I just like to know the ins and outs of every step before I jump in
Sorry. Realised I gave you a link to the 2 pole. If your going to bridge you will need the 4 pole.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Neutrik-N...gAAOSwzBJdSV63

Yep, easy to terminate. With a 4 pole - 2 x positive and 2 x negative singles out of the Neutik into a connector block then 2 core speaker cable to you subs.

Once you get it up and running you will wish you had done it a lot sooner I can tell you that

My processor packed in last weekend. It's on its way to Belgium to see if it can be repaired. Which I know it can but at what cost. So I'm holding out on any spends right now. I also think my Quake is up to the task so I'm not sure what benefit I would get from a BOSS build having tried both (except it gives me something to do).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6023 (3).jpg
Views:	22
Size:	1,016.6 KB
ID:	2626928  
paulst likes this.

Last edited by magicj1; 10-12-2019 at 04:35 AM.
post #3595 of 4082 Old 10-12-2019, 04:51 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks, do you think the BOSS and Quake both share the same effectiveness then?

Also, the one main concern is how these average drivers are so capable down to single digits? I've only just started reading this thread and only a couple of pages in, but seen some comments saying they're good from 3hz, yet the drivers are only rated at 23hz-450hz.. I'm obviously missing something simple here

PC - i7 4790k & GTX970

post #3596 of 4082 Old 10-12-2019, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Right stage 1 done.. fabric removed beneath the sofa and checks out.. should be OK, have 7" gap at the front and a 9" gap at the back

Might go ahead and grab those two JBL GT5-12 drivers now..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0104.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	497.1 KB
ID:	2626936   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0105.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	471.6 KB
ID:	2626938   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0106.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	496.5 KB
ID:	2626940  
magicj1 likes this.

PC - i7 4790k & GTX970

Last edited by paulst; 10-12-2019 at 06:26 AM.
post #3597 of 4082 Old 10-12-2019, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Also, the one main concern is how these average drivers are so capable down to single digits? I've only just started reading this thread and only a couple of pages in, but seen some comments saying they're good from 3hz, yet the drivers are only rated at 23hz-450hz.. I'm obviously missing something simple here
Yes, very similar I think. You can't go wrong with either. Saying this, if I was in your position I would go BOSS. it's cheaper and more of a project. Personally can't explain the hz situation. It just works that's all I know
paulst likes this.
post #3598 of 4082 Old 10-12-2019, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 334 Post(s)
Quoted: 2660 Post(s)
Liked: 3647
Quote:

The hz range spesified in the spec is for when used as a speaker/subwoofer(SPL), but that is not what they are used for in a BOSS. That’s all about cone movement(shaker potensial), and as such the cone moves much deeper than 23 hz
magicj1 and paulst like this.

Dual Atmos Receivers - Atmos 13.1.8/DTS X 9.1.8/Auro 3D 13.1 - Denon AVCX8500H+AVRX7200WA - Klipsch+KEF - 6xSI18" - 12xJBL 12" w/6xSLAPS M12 downfiring VNF - 3x2 stacked Crowson MA - 4xBK-LFE - 6xNU6K(fan&trig mod) - Minidsp 10x10HD - Oppo UDP203 - XBox OneX - Apple TV4K - JVC RS600 Dreamscreen V2 120"- Philips 65OLED873.
Nalleh’s HT
post #3599 of 4082 Old 10-12-2019, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes, very similar I think. You can't go wrong with either. Saying this, if I was in your position I would go BOSS. it's cheaper and more of a project. Personally can't explain the hz situation. It just works that's all I know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalleh View Post
The hz range spesified in the spec is for when used as a speaker/subwoofer(SPL), but that is not what they are used for in a BOSS. That’s all about cone movement(shaker potensial), and as such the cone moves much deeper than 23 hz

Thanks, I've just ordered two drivers, should be here Wednesday, I'll probably grab some 3/4" Ply during the week and then the project begins Really looking forward to trying this, especially with a BEQ'd track

What frequency do you normally crossover at?
magicj1 likes this.

PC - i7 4790k & GTX970

post #3600 of 4082 Old 10-12-2019, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks, I've just ordered two drivers, should be here Wednesday, I'll probably grab some 3/4" Ply during the week and then the project begins Really looking forward to trying this, especially with a BEQ'd track

What frequency do you normally crossover at?
Great stuff

Think mines set to 35 hz? I can't check as I set this in my 'poorly' processor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page