The Hideaway Theater - Page 123 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3456Likes

post #3661 of 4019 Old 10-14-2019, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2667 Post(s)
Liked: 2457
Here are the pix:

Edit: I did not have to heat the stock connector in order to remove it, mine just pulled right off with a pair of needle nose pliers.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	704F5BC4-3AE9-45A1-8B29-A7E6799828A8.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	2627774   Click image for larger version

Name:	8C7D03AA-7105-4401-B3A1-7F2BCF299F2D.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	2627776  
paulst likes this.

Last edited by tvuong; 10-14-2019 at 02:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3662 of 4019 Old 10-14-2019, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 273 Post(s)
Quoted: 2536 Post(s)
Liked: 2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulst View Post
I just begrudge buying something and having to modify it straight away, do you think you'd be able to re-fit the mounts without them noticing it's been tinkered with? Hopefully it will never come to that but if it ever needs to be re-glued down, I'm not sure if it could be done to their original standards??
I'd begrudge spending the same money on an amp with markedly less power and no DSP quite a bit more myself
paulst likes this.
post #3663 of 4019 Old 10-14-2019, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 898
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
Here are the pix:

Spoiler!
Just watched this video, looks simple enough although I notice he'd already done it beforehand, so depending on the amount of glue used, MMV.. might give it a go.. got a week to decide

LG OLED65B8 ~ HTPC ~ Oppo BDP-93 ~ PS3 ~ PS4 ~ Toshiba HD-XE1 ~ Harmony One
Marantz SR7011 ~ M&K LCR 851 & CS35 ~ 2x4HD ~ PSA S1811 x 2 ~ Behringer NX3000D & BOSS
PC - i7 4790k & GTX970
HTPC - i5 4690k & GTX1060

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3664 of 4019 Old 10-14-2019, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Changing the fans is very easy. If you are worried about the glue you can always just cut both connectors off. (New fan and old fan) leaving the old fan plugged in. Then just solder the wires together heat shrink and done. Works equally well just a second way going about it.
paulst likes this.

Always destroying exergy!
post #3665 of 4019 Old 10-14-2019, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ok guys I got about an hour playing with the boss platform and man this thing is fun. I’m still working on getting it dialed in. It seems the center of the couch definitely gets more TR than the outer sides. Now this could be bc there are two drivers (I’ll just remove one) or bc it’s flexing too much. What do you guys think? I would like to keep all 4 drivers but I’m not sure how to ensure it all is shaking equally. Any advice?
m0j0 likes this.

post #3666 of 4019 Old 10-14-2019, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked: 1324
Quote:
Originally Posted by superkyle View Post
Ok guys I got about an hour playing with the boss platform and man this thing is fun. I’m still working on getting it dialed in. It seems the center of the couch definitely gets more TR than the outer sides. Now this could be bc there are two drivers (I’ll just remove one) or bc it’s flexing too much. What do you guys think? I would like to keep all 4 drivers but I’m not sure how to ensure it all is shaking equally. Any advice?
superkyle....Thanks for the update and details on what you're feeling. Just looked at your picture of the 4 drivers. Yes, it makes total sense that you're getting more TR in the center and less on the side seats.

There's 2 reasons for this....the obvious one is there's 2 drivers in the middle so twice as much shaker potential as the sides but that's a small reason. The other reason, and the biggest contributor is the bending beam effect that's present when using a couch as a platform. What I mean by this is think of a 2"x8" laid on its side and supported by cinder blocks on both ends. Now, imagine some one standing in the middle of that 2"x8" and someone pushing that person up and down slowly. Not only is the person in the middle going to move up and down easily due to their weight, but that person will also move up and down more than a person that is on either side that is standing closer to the cinder blocks.

To help spread that TR around more equally, I'd recommend supporting the couch in the middle with 4 extra legs that are the same length as the other 4 legs. Then underneath those 2 extra legs, place the same isolators as the other 4 legs have. This will support your couch in the middle and help spread that shaker potential more evenly across the platform. Basically, with this recommendation, you'll be supporting your couch just as you would be supporting a BOSS mini-riser as prescribed in Post 29 (1 isolator every 2 feet or so).

I'd place the 4 extra legs and 4 extra isolators on the plywood cross members in the middle, 2 on each cross-member, 1 towards the front and 1 towards the back of each cross-member.

This will keep the entire couch moving up and down more uniformly and minimize the bending that's occurring now. That bending not only increases TR in the middle but also makes that TR in the middle more limited in bandwidth and feel different than the TR on the side seats.

Hope this makes sense.
post #3667 of 4019 Old 10-14-2019, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trhought View Post
superkyle....Thanks for the update and details on what you're feeling. Just looked at your picture of the 4 drivers. Yes, it makes total sense that you're getting more TR in the center and less on the side seats.

There's 2 reasons for this....the obvious one is there's 2 drivers in the middle so twice as much shaker potential as the sides but that's a small reason. The other reason, and the biggest contributor is the bending beam effect that's present when using a couch as a platform. What I mean by this is think of a 2"x8" laid on its side and supported by cinder blocks on both ends. Now, imagine some one standing in the middle of that 2"x8" and someone pushing that person up and down slowly. Not only is the person in the middle going to move up and down easily due to their weight, but that person will also move up and down more than a person that is on either side that is standing closer to the cinder blocks.

To help spread that TR around more equally, I'd recommend supporting the couch in the middle with 4 extra legs that are the same length as the other 4 legs. Then underneath those 2 extra legs, place the same isolators as the other 4 legs have. This will support your couch in the middle and help spread that shaker potential more evenly across the platform. Basically, with this recommendation, you'll be supporting your couch just as you would be supporting a BOSS mini-riser as prescribed in Post 29 (1 isolator every 2 feet or so).

I'd place the 4 extra legs and 4 extra isolators on the plywood cross members in the middle, 2 on each cross-member, 1 towards the front and 1 towards the back of each cross-member.

This will keep the entire couch moving up and down more uniformly and minimize the bending that's occurring now. That bending not only increases TR in the middle but also makes that TR in the middle more limited in bandwidth and feel different than the TR on the side seats.

Hope this makes sense.

Nope that makes perfect sense and right in line with what I was thinking. What I can do is just buy some 2x2 and use that with some isolators on the bottom. Should work right? This couch is only temporary so I’m not to worried about something that needs to last years. More or less an experiment to get the feeing! Plus this way the 2x2 can remain hidden recessed a tad back from the front.

post #3668 of 4019 Old 10-14-2019, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Nope that makes perfect sense and right in line with what I was thinking. What I can do is just buy some 2x2 and use that with some isolators on the bottom. Should work right? This couch is only temporary so I’m not to worried about something that needs to last years. More or less an experiment to get the feeing! Plus this way the 2x2 can remain hidden recessed a tad back from the front.
Yep, 2x2 will work great. I presume that's the same height as the original 4 legs. Looking forward to hearing your impressions afterwards. It probably won't entirely eliminate the difference, but it should mitigate most of it.
post #3669 of 4019 Old 10-14-2019, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yep, 2x2 will work great. I presume that's the same height as the original 4 legs. Looking forward to hearing your impressions afterwards. It probably won't entirely eliminate the difference, but it should mitigate most of it.

Oh I’m already super impressed. Only issue was trying to balance the effect. To get it natural for the outside I end up making the middle way too powerful. It’s awesome for the first 15 or so minutes but then you need to turn it down bc it’s a bit distracting haha I did change the peak output to 320W and noticed even with a lot of rumble I’m still way under max power so a little power goes a long way with these things for sure.

post #3670 of 4019 Old 10-14-2019, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
Tim, if you don't know Portugal. The Man check out their albums "In the Mountain In the Cloud" and "Evil Friends" (don't do their latest, Woodstock). We have similar music tastes from what you listed so I think you'll like it. The albums work great with a BOSS. You'd probably like Glass Animals that I mentioned above too. I'd recommend their 2nd album though for you, "How To Be a Human Being". It's a bit more rocks, so it's a better entry point.
DesertDog......Thanks so much for the rec on Portugal. The Man......just listened to their "Evil Friends" album and I'm sold big time! Reminds me a lot of the Pixies which I can never get enough of. And, of course, the Breeders which sound a lot like the Pixies for obvious reasons.

What I like most so far is the dynamic range. It sounds so big and upmixes nicely into a huge soundfield all around. Hard to believe it's not a 5.1 mix. Some 5.1 albums in my collection don't sound as good.

Out of curiosity, just analyzed a few songs off that album using BEQd and was pleasantly surprised. There's some content down to 10Hz on the 3 songs I spot checked. That's very encouraging for some BEQ remux goodness in the future!

Going to listen to that album a few more times in the raw first to see if it really needs any BEQ remuxing. It sounds pretty incredible already and I was feeling some wobbles during some of the low notes on what sounded like a timpani drum.

Haven't explored any of their other albums yet, but will likely try "In the Mountain in the Cloud" in a week or so based on your rec, then onto Glass Animals after that.

Awesome stuff!

Thanks for the recs!
DesertDog likes this.
post #3671 of 4019 Old 10-14-2019, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Oh I’m already super impressed. Only issue was trying to balance the effect. To get it natural for the outside I end up making the middle way too powerful. It’s awesome for the first 15 or so minutes but then you need to turn it down bc it’s a bit distracting haha I did change the peak output to 320W and noticed even with a lot of rumble I’m still way under max power so a little power goes a long way with these things for sure.
Yes, it can be overwhelming if pushed hard. But, I like having some extra gas in the tank for those times when you just want to unleash the beast!

A fellow AVS member visited our theater a couple months ago and we bounced a folding table off the back platform after some spirited demo scenes.

That never happened before so imagine my surprise when we got up and started to walk out of the theater only to find the table halfway off the platform and all the stuff on top of it spilled all over the floor.

Enjoy!
post #3672 of 4019 Old 10-14-2019, 09:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 2049
Quote:
DesertDog......Thanks so much for the rec on Portugal. The Man......just listened to their "Evil Friends" album and I'm sold big time! Reminds me a lot of the Pixies which I can never get enough of. And, of course, the Breeders which sound a lot like the Pixies for obvious reasons.

What I like most so far is the dynamic range. It sounds so big and upmixes nicely into a huge soundfield all around. Hard to believe it's not a 5.1 mix. Some 5.1 albums in my collection don't sound as good.

Out of curiosity, just analyzed a few songs off that album using BEQd and was pleasantly surprised. There's some content down to 10Hz on the 3 songs I spot checked. That's very encouraging for some BEQ remux goodness in the future!

Going to listen to that album a few more times in the raw first to see if it really needs any BEQ remuxing. It sounds pretty incredible already and I was feeling some wobbles during some of the low notes on what sounded like a timpani drum.

Haven't explored any of their other albums yet, but will likely try "In the Mountain in the Cloud" in a week or so based on your rec, then onto Glass Animals after that.

Awesome stuff!

Thanks for the recs!
Excellent! Glad you liked the. I had a feeling you would from everything you listed. We have really similar tastes and they're my favorite active band. I love them. They're great live too. Really tight and solid. They're actually musicians which is harder to find these days. I've seen them six times now over the last few years and they're coming back to town in February for the Innings Festival. If you're a baseball fan come out for Spring Training and see them while here.

Evil Friends has some of my favorite songs with Creep, Modern Jesus, Atomic Man, PYRB, etc. ItMItC is favorite album front to back and has an amazing opening and closing songs. Both are in the art/prog/psychedelic rock style. Their newest album, Woodstock, is a bit more poppy. The concept of it was being at a festival and hearing different things. It's at the bottom of the list for me. Going with their older stuff. Satanic Satanist was them starting to go to the art/psych sound and the earlier albums were a bit more prog. None of it's bad and there's some gems like And I in the older albums. They just really hit their stride with In the Mountain and Evil Friends.

I haven't analyzed any of the song, not sure why. Their songs usually have good bass in them but I'm surprised they go all the way down to 10 Hz. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised though. They're one of the bands that I really feel the music with both from the bass and connecting with it. Having the low frequencies might be something that I'm hooking into with having realized it.

For Glass Animals their two albums are a little different in styles. How to Be a Human Being is a bit more of an art/psych rock, closer to Portugal. The first album, Zaba, is rock but it's jungle rock for the lack of a better term. All the songs are themed around being like a primal jungle state. Really bass and beat heavy. I'm betting it goes really low too. Black Mambo and Gooey are the tops songs. And just wait until you hear the up-mixing on it. I was playing at at get together at my house almost a year ago and my freaked a little with it saying it sounded like he was in a jungle. The lead ins and outs of the songs have animal and jungle sounds to them and they really get pulled out to the surrounds and heights. Really cool effect. I'd love to see an Atmos remaster of it.
trhought likes this.

BEQ Slack group
The struggle is real for Generation Xplain Digital to the Analog and Analog to the Digital.
Klipsch RF-7III, RC-64III
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
Sony 85X900F, Denon 8500, nVidia Shield, Apple TV
post #3673 of 4019 Old 10-14-2019, 10:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Crap, I just looked at a few of their songs. Modern Jesus doesn't roll off until 20 Hz! It's what I'd call a full bandwidth song. I wonder what the "music audio mixer" that posted in the Atmos thread would have to say about it since according to him they don't do anything below 50 Hz.

I ran a few of the GA songs too. They're rolling off similar to Portugal in the 30-40 Hz range with content all the way down. Hazey is full bandwidth too. It's really making sense as to part of the reason why me and friends love these bands when we party.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gooey.png
Views:	24
Size:	235.9 KB
ID:	2627990   Click image for larger version

Name:	hazey.png
Views:	24
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	2627992   Click image for larger version

Name:	blackmambo.png
Views:	25
Size:	213.0 KB
ID:	2627994  
trhought likes this.

BEQ Slack group
The struggle is real for Generation Xplain Digital to the Analog and Analog to the Digital.
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
post #3674 of 4019 Old 10-15-2019, 02:10 AM
Advanced Member

Ordered an NX3000D this morning, one of the lads on AVF found one for me that was in stock and cheaper.. Got it for £210 (with £5 discount) instead of £224 from the other place, should be here Thursday

https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/amplifier...urce=connexity
DesertDog and magicj1 like this.

Marantz SR7011 ~ M&K LCR 851 & CS35 ~ 2x4HD ~ PSA S1811 x 2 ~ Behringer NX3000D & BOSS
PC - i7 4790k & GTX970

post #3675 of 4019 Old 10-15-2019, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

And these just arrived, one day early Ordered the Neutrik and XLR - RCA adaptors, just need speaker cables, Iso feet and Ply now..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0107.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	559.9 KB
ID:	2628070  
trhought and magicj1 like this.

PC - i7 4790k & GTX970

post #3676 of 4019 Old 10-15-2019, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Excellent! Glad you liked the. I had a feeling you would from everything you listed. We have really similar tastes and they're my favorite active band. I love them. They're great live too. Really tight and solid. They're actually musicians which is harder to find these days. I've seen them six times now over the last few years and they're coming back to town in February for the Innings Festival. If you're a baseball fan come out for Spring Training and see them while here.

Evil Friends has some of my favorite songs with Creep, Modern Jesus, Atomic Man, PYRB, etc. ItMItC is favorite album front to back and has an amazing opening and closing songs. Both are in the art/prog/psychedelic rock style. Their newest album, Woodstock, is a bit more poppy. The concept of it was being at a festival and hearing different things. It's at the bottom of the list for me. Going with their older stuff. Satanic Satanist was them starting to go to the art/psych sound and the earlier albums were a bit more prog. None of it's bad and there's some gems like And I in the older albums. They just really hit their stride with In the Mountain and Evil Friends.

I haven't analyzed any of the song, not sure why. Their songs usually have good bass in them but I'm surprised they go all the way down to 10 Hz. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised though. They're one of the bands that I really feel the music with both from the bass and connecting with it. Having the low frequencies might be something that I'm hooking into with having realized it.

For Glass Animals their two albums are a little different in styles. How to Be a Human Being is a bit more of an art/psych rock, closer to Portugal. The first album, Zaba, is rock but it's jungle rock for the lack of a better term. All the songs are themed around being like a primal jungle state. Really bass and beat heavy. I'm betting it goes really low too. Black Mambo and Gooey are the tops songs. And just wait until you hear the up-mixing on it. I was playing at at get together at my house almost a year ago and my freaked a little with it saying it sounded like he was in a jungle. The lead ins and outs of the songs have animal and jungle sounds to them and they really get pulled out to the surrounds and heights. Really cool effect. I'd love to see an Atmos remaster of it.
I'm really liking the album Evil Friends! Thanks for the background on their other albums and what to expect. Really looking forward to discovering their other albums and knowing your take on them will help with the journey. Looking forward to it.

I might have to just pick up both of the GA albums....sounds like they push the envelope on surround effects and bass which I'm always looking for more of.

It's pretty incredible how prolific Portugal has been since they came on the scene.....those albums alone will keep me busy for at least a year.

Looking forward to getting familiar with each album and experimenting with BEQ remux.
DesertDog likes this.
post #3677 of 4019 Old 10-15-2019, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

What's the minimum crossover you can apply using the NX3000D DSP software? Can't seem to find it in the specs, I'm hoping for a 30-35hz..

PC - i7 4790k & GTX970

post #3678 of 4019 Old 10-15-2019, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Crap, I just looked at a few of their songs. Modern Jesus doesn't roll off until 20 Hz! It's what I'd call a full bandwidth song. I wonder what the "music audio mixer" that posted in the Atmos thread would have to say about it since according to him they don't do anything below 50 Hz.

I ran a few of the GA songs too. They're rolling off similar to Portugal in the 30-40 Hz range with content all the way down. Hazey is full bandwidth too. It's really making sense as to part of the reason why me and friends love these bands when we party.
That's encouraging knowing these albums extend that low. From my experience, that means the recording studio had a low noise floor that didn't require filtering and there's more goodness down low to be had with BEQ remux. With BEQ, the bottom end can be enhanced providing a great foundation for each song to float on top of without having to strain your ears with high SPL's. Can't wait to remux Evil Friends just to see what can be had.

In party mode, the louder the better and usually the more bass, the better.....so makes sense that these would be great party albums
DesertDog likes this.
post #3679 of 4019 Old 10-15-2019, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
And these just arrived, one day early Ordered the Neutrik and XLR - RCA adaptors, just need speaker cables, Iso feet and Ply now..
Everything's coming together nicely! Won't be long and you'll be building! Can't wait to learn more about your build and your impressions afterwards.

Just saw your question about DSP limits on the Behringers.....a 30-35Hz LPF won't be a problem. I believe the low limit is 20 Hz and there's a workaround for manipulating less than 20Hz via shelfs and more gradual slopes.
paulst likes this.
post #3680 of 4019 Old 10-15-2019, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Everything's coming together nicely! Won't be long and you'll be building! Can't wait to learn more about your build and your impressions afterwards.

Just saw your question about DSP limits on the Behringers.....a 30-35Hz LPF won't be a problem. I believe the low limit is 20 Hz and there's a workaround for manipulating less than 20Hz via shelfs and more gradual slopes.
Thanks, I just downloaded the software (looks a bit technical) Might be a few questions heading your way I see it can go down to 20hz.. Would I need to run it in bridged mode? Surely dual mode will provide enough power?

Also the high pass on channel A.. if it's set to OFF I assume it means bypassed? And to set the low pass, you just select either Butterworth, Bessel, or Linkwitz-Riley to activate it?

PC - i7 4790k & GTX970

post #3681 of 4019 Old 10-15-2019, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, I just downloaded the software (looks a bit technical) Might be a few questions heading your way I see it can go down to 20hz.. Would I need to run it in bridged mode? Surely dual mode will provide enough power?

Also the high pass on channel A.. if it's set to OFF I assume it means bypassed? And to set the low pass, you just select either Butterworth, Bessel, or Linkwitz-Riley to activate it?
Paul.....Thanks for the details.

For your power question, I can help with that. Each channel of the 3000 will provide enough power for your 2 JBL's. I'd recommend wiring them in series for 8 ohms which will allow the 3000 to deliver about 310 watts RMS to that one channel. That's about 155 watts for each JBL which will be plenty. The 8 ohms of impedance will also allow the Behringer to run cooler and hopefully not engage the fan as much as a result.

Then, you'll have the other channel available for another project or more drivers down the road.

I'll have to defer to others about your Behringer DSP questions.....I don't have one myself but have absorbed a lot about them over the years on AVS including workaround filters for manipulating the signal below 20Hz. Hopefully, others who have lots of experience with them can help with your DSP questions.

Hope this helps.
paulst likes this.
post #3682 of 4019 Old 10-17-2019, 05:09 AM
Advanced Member

Amp has arrived..

Before I order the cables, I'm trying to decide whether to keep it up front with the rest of the equipment and run two lots of 15m speaker cables around the room or buy one 15m RCA cable and mount the 3000D behind the seating position.. I think I'd prefer it behind, but got it nicely hidden up front behind my centre speaker at the moment.. decisions decisions

PC - i7 4790k & GTX970

post #3683 of 4019 Old 10-17-2019, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Amp has arrived..

Before I order the cables, I'm trying to decide whether to keep it up front with the rest of the equipment and run two lots of 15m speaker cables around the room or buy one 15m RCA cable and mount the 3000D behind the seating position.. I think I'd prefer it behind, but got it nicely hidden up front behind my centre speaker at the moment.. decisions decisions
Just be careful that you give it enough airflow. By default the fans suck in from the back and blow out the front. I reversed it when I didn't my fan mod since it works better the other way in my rack. The default way was sucking in the hot air that my Crown is blowing out.
paulst likes this.

BEQ Slack group
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
post #3684 of 4019 Old 10-17-2019, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Just be careful that you give it enough airflow. By default the fans suck in from the back and blow out the front. I reversed it when I didn't my fan mod since it works better the other way in my rack. The default way was sucking in the hot air that my Crown is blowing out.
Yeh thanks, should be enough airflow, I have it behind me now as my equipment rack is cluttered enough already lol. Oddly it sounds quieter 1m behind my head than it did almost 4m in front of me Also easier to switch it on and off when it's just behind me And has a nice cooling effect on my ears which'll be nice in the summer

PC - i7 4790k & GTX970

Last edited by paulst; 10-17-2019 at 11:42 AM.
post #3685 of 4019 Old 10-18-2019, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Right bit of advice on this please, I was originally intending to do the whole sofa with the raised platform but it'll probably be unnecessary work, as no one ever sits on the left side along the wall..

The sofa splits in two along the dotted line and usually the only two seats occupied are labelled 1 and 2 (which is where the drivers are going). So I was thinking to save on unnecessary work and another sheet of ply, to just cut one sheet of ply for the area in blue (around 7 foot x 2.8 foot) and then raise the rest of the sofa by adding offcuts of ply between the sofa and the feet then painting them black to blend in. Making it longer in the first place will also give me the opportunity to add another driver if needed or when I change my sofa to a 3 seater (which I intend to do at some point)??

PC - i7 4790k & GTX970

Last edited by paulst; 10-18-2019 at 01:15 PM.
post #3686 of 4019 Old 10-18-2019, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Right bit of advice on this please, I was originally intending to do the whole sofa with the raised platform but it'll probably be unnecessary work, as no one ever sits on the left side along the wall..

The sofa splits in two along the dotted line and usually the only two seats occupied are labelled 1 and 2 (which is where the drivers are going). So I was thinking to save on unnecessary work and another sheet of ply, to just cut one sheet of ply for the area in blue (around 7 foot x 2.8 foot) and then raise the rest of the sofa by adding offcuts of ply between the sofa and the feet then painting them black to blend in. Making it longer in the first place will also give me the opportunity to add another driver if needed or when I change my sofa to a 3 seater (which I intend to do at some point)??
Paul....Thanks for the details.

Yes, your plan of making the platform larger as outlined in blue but only placing the (phase 1) drivers under seats 1 and 2 is good. Just be sure to support the entire platform underneath with the isolators and follow the guidelines in Post 29. Basically, 1 isolator under each couch leg and 1 every 2' or so if the legs are further apart than that. This will allow the platform to move up and down consistently and as one piece without bending too much. Also, if possible, try to keep the drivers mounted towards the back of your platform. The closer they are to the back legs of the couch, the better the effect will be because your body mass will be more directly over the drivers and the isolators under the back feet when sitting on the couch.

Hope this makes sense.

Looking forward to learning more about your build and your experiences afterwards.

Won't be too long and you'll be enjoying your BOSS!
paulst likes this.
post #3687 of 4019 Old 10-21-2019, 03:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by idean View Post
My old car amp was unable to drive the speakers at 4ohm, so I bought a Fossi Audio TB10A amp for $70 from Amazon. It works great!
I spoke too soon. Watching Dark Phoenix with BEQ, we started hearing a metallic clink sound around the 15:00 mark. It turns out that the LEFT channel of the TB10A was turning off for 2-3 seconds, then came back on for a bit. Had to turn the gain down to less than 50% to continue the movie...

Afterwards, I flipped the outputs and ran it again - same thing at the same mark, and the problem stayed with the left channel on the other set of speakers. (The input is just a split RCA)

RMA'd it to Amazon and got a replacement, same unit. Wired it up, and it has the exact same issue: the LEFT channel output clinks, goes dead for 2-3 seconds, comes back on. Very reproducible. Exact same input on both channels, the left channel protects, the right keeps playing.

So it looks to me like a design flaw in the protection circuit rather than a defective unit. I don't recommend the Fosi TB10A.

I'm going to try a different (cheap) amp.

Denon AVR-X4300H | Klipsch RB-61/RC-62 LCR | Klipsch R-12sWi | Cambridge MINX MIN 12 Front and Rear Heights
Micro-BOSS | Optoma UHD65 | 103" Seymour AV Center Stage UF AT screen
post #3688 of 4019 Old 10-21-2019, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idean View Post
I spoke too soon. Watching Dark Phoenix with BEQ, we started hearing a metallic clink sound around the 15:00 mark. It turns out that the LEFT channel of the TB10A was turning off for 2-3 seconds, then came back on for a bit. Had to turn the gain down to less than 50% to continue the movie...

Afterwards, I flipped the outputs and ran it again - same thing at the same mark, and the problem stayed with the left channel on the other set of speakers. (The input is just a split RCA)

RMA'd it to Amazon and got a replacement, same unit. Wired it up, and it has the exact same issue: the LEFT channel output clinks, goes dead for 2-3 seconds, comes back on. Very reproducible. Exact same input on both channels, the left channel protects, the right keeps playing.

So it looks to me like a design flaw in the protection circuit rather than a defective unit. I don't recommend the Fosi TB10A.

I'm going to try a different (cheap) amp.
idean....Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear about your experiences with the Fosi amps and great to hear Amazon has your back. That amp has been taken off the list of recommended BOSS amps now. If you find an alternate low cost amp that works, please let us know. I think you were also looking at the Nobsound amplifiers on Amazon at one time....I wonder if that's the same design but just a different nameplate.
post #3689 of 4019 Old 10-21-2019, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 16
i end up getting some deck lights and installed in the riser. i have to turn brightness all the way down otherwise i'd get shadows in the dark. i've been sitting in the back row ever since. thank you all.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20191021_220633.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	2630488  
DesertDog and trhought like this.
post #3690 of 4019 Old 10-22-2019, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Got the Ply. A few pics of getting a rough map of how it's going to sit..

And mapped out where the feet are and an outline of the cut around the sofa..

I might actually leave it rectangular, and a little larger to avoid the feet slipping off the edge, but a bit undecided at the moment..

Will this speaker cable be OK? Looks to have a core around 2mm thick.. Can't be too thick as it needs to go into the Neutrik connector.. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/QED-QX16-...9624c497a48fb9

PC - i7 4790k & GTX970

Last edited by paulst; 10-22-2019 at 11:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page