The Hideaway Theater - Page 124 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3456Likes

post #3691 of 4019 Old 10-22-2019, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 383
I cut small 3x3 inch strips and attached them to the corners to make sure the feet wouldn't slip off. I don't really think they were necessary, but I like the peace of mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3692 of 4019 Old 10-22-2019, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by trhought View Post
idean....Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear about your experiences with the Fosi amps and great to hear Amazon has your back. That amp has been taken off the list of recommended BOSS amps now. If you find an alternate low cost amp that works, please let us know. I think you were also looking at the Nobsound amplifiers on Amazon at one time....I wonder if that's the same design but just a different nameplate.
Correct, they seem to be one company.

I've got the Fosi M03 on order now, it's a single-channel subwoofer amp using the TPA3255D2 chip. The other amp used the TPA3116 chip in a stereo config, so this board should be a totally different design. I'll lose the capability of giving my wife a volume control by going mono, but (assuming this works better) if she complains, I guess I can always just get a second one. If this doesn't work, I may look at getting an iNuke or something, but noise and space are a concern, so I want to try another of the Chinese min-amps first.

Denon AVR-X4300H | Klipsch RB-61/RC-62 LCR | Klipsch R-12sWi | Cambridge MINX MIN 12 Front and Rear Heights
Micro-BOSS | Optoma UHD65 | 103" Seymour AV Center Stage UF AT screen
post #3693 of 4019 Old 10-22-2019, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked: 1324
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtdfusion View Post
i end up getting some deck lights and installed in the riser. i have to turn brightness all the way down otherwise i'd get shadows in the dark. i've been sitting in the back row ever since. thank you all.
dtdfusion....finished out great! Congrats on your BOSS build. I'm smiling as I'm typing this after reading your comment about sitting in the back row now. That's the path we followed also as friends and family started getting introduced to the full size BOSS in the back row (the very first BOSS prototype). Everyone was fighting for seats back there for the first couple of months. That's how the mini-riser BOSS was born. I wanted a way to make the front row as desireable as the back row.

I see a mini-riser BOSS in your future

Welcome to the BOSS family!

Last edited by trhought; 10-22-2019 at 11:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3694 of 4019 Old 10-22-2019, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulst View Post
Got the Ply. A few pics of getting a rough map of how it's going to sit..

And mapped out where the feet are and an outline of the cut around the sofa..

I might actually leave it rectangular, and a little larger to avoid the feet slipping off the edge, but a bit undecided at the moment..

Will this speaker cable be OK? Looks to have a core around 2mm thick.. Can't be too thick as it needs to go into the Neutrik connector..
Paul....Thanks for the details of your build. After seeing the layout, I'd recommend cutting the plywood for phase 1 so that the corner piece of your sectional (the pie shaped piece) is fully supported underneath. Meaning, all 4 of it's legs should be supported by the phase 1 platform. If I understand the red line above, that would be your cut line which wouldn't fully support the corner pie shaped piece properly for a BOSS platform. Then, just simply place the isolators on your platform so they are directly below each of the feet as you have outlined.

One thing that's confusing me, the corner pie shaped piece only has 2 feet drawn.....I would have thought it would have 4 feet unless it's attached to the shorter piece of the couch by some kind of slip joint. If there's a slip joint there, then I'd recommend building your phase 1 platform just under the sectional piece with the two seats you say get the most use. Then, the phase 2 platform would be built under the shorter sectional piece and the corner piece since those are connected.

Hope this makes sense.

For your wire size question, that looks to be 16 gage wire which should be OK for the short distance you have between the Behringer behind you and the BOSS platform below you. If you plan to lengthen that run in the future, I'd recommend 14 gage wire instead. If you'd like the overall wire diameter to be even smaller, you probably only need 2 conductors inside instead of the 4 as shown in the picture. Unless, your plan is to have each platform have it's own amp channel, then you would need the 4 conductors.

Hope this feedback helps.
paulst likes this.
post #3695 of 4019 Old 10-22-2019, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidacat View Post
I cut small 3x3 inch strips and attached them to the corners to make sure the feet wouldn't slip off. I don't really think they were necessary, but I like the peace of mind.
The holding strips are good peace of mind, especially if the platform doesn't have any carpet. With platforms that are carpeted, I've found that provides enough friction to keep the couch and chair pieces in place over time.
post #3696 of 4019 Old 10-22-2019, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idean View Post
Correct, they seem to be one company.

I've got the Fosi M03 on order now, it's a single-channel subwoofer amp using the TPA3255D2 chip. The other amp used the TPA3116 chip in a stereo config, so this board should be a totally different design. I'll lose the capability of giving my wife a volume control by going mono, but (assuming this works better) if she complains, I guess I can always just get a second one. If this doesn't work, I may look at getting an iNuke or something, but noise and space are a concern, so I want to try another of the Chinese min-amps first.
idean...great idea about going with the mono design instead of the stereo design. Hopefully that design doesn't have the same flaw as the left channel had with the stereo design. Fingers crossed if you plan to try one of the mono designs. The individual control due to the small form factor plus the quiet operation are definitely attractive features of the mini-amps.
post #3697 of 4019 Old 10-22-2019, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 2049
Quote:
The holding strips are good peace of mind, especially if the platform doesn't have any carpet. With platforms that are carpeted, I've found that provides enough friction to keep the couch and chair pieces in place over time.
Just as a data point. I was concerned with the couch "walking" a bit too due to bass when building it. I ended up trying it as is, my couch is just sitting on it. I haven't had any issues with it moving on me in the 7 months I've been up and running. So YMMV depending on couch weight. Remember too that you've also going to usually have a human or two on it for additional weight when it's vibrating.

Another option over doing wood strips is to use drawer/desk non-slip liners. A roll is pretty cheap and you can cut it to be the same size as your feet. They'll give more than enough resistance.
paulst likes this.

BEQ Slack group
The struggle is real for Generation Xplain Digital to the Analog and Analog to the Digital.
Klipsch RF-7III, RC-64III
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
Sony 85X900F, Denon 8500, nVidia Shield, Apple TV
post #3698 of 4019 Old 10-22-2019, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 900
Quote:
Paul....Thanks for the details of your build. After seeing the layout, I'd recommend cutting the plywood for phase 1 so that the corner piece of your sectional (the pie shaped piece) is fully supported underneath. Meaning, all 4 of it's legs should be supported by the phase 1 platform. If I understand the red line above, that would be your cut line which wouldn't fully support the corner pie shaped piece properly for a BOSS platform. Then, just simply place the isolators on your platform so they are directly below each of the feet as you have outlined.

One thing that's confusing me, the corner pie shaped piece only has 2 feet drawn.....I would have thought it would have 4 feet unless it's attached to the shorter piece of the couch by some kind of slip joint. If there's a slip joint there, then I'd recommend building your phase 1 platform just under the sectional piece with the two seats you say get the most use. Then, the phase 2 platform would be built under the shorter sectional piece and the corner piece since those are connected.

Hope this makes sense.

For your wire size question, that looks to be 16 gage wire which should be OK for the short distance you have between the Behringer behind you and the BOSS platform below you. If you plan to lengthen that run in the future, I'd recommend 14 gage wire instead. If you'd like the overall wire diameter to be even smaller, you probably only need 2 conductors inside instead of the 4 as shown in the picture. Unless, your plan is to have each platform have it's own amp channel, then you would need the 4 conductors.

Hope this feedback helps.
Thanks, I've drawn an x over each of the feet, I'll probably go with it how it looks using all the feet, unless there's any objections, I've drawn a dotted line where the two halfs of the sofa connect as well.. But yes, if I went for the rectangular option, then only one foot in the pie shaped corner will be on the ply board.. I can see how that could be a problem now.

Also, one thing has me curious.. looking at JBL drivers manual it states connecting the drivers for 8 ohm (see top image).. If so, I'd only need a dual core speaker cable? Is this correct? Or should I run a 4 core cable split in two to each driver? I have a 4 pole Neutrik connector hence me looking for a 4 core cable so I could run one + & - to one speaker and another + & - to the other speaker?

LG OLED65B8 ~ HTPC ~ Oppo BDP-93 ~ PS3 ~ PS4 ~ Toshiba HD-XE1 ~ Harmony One
Marantz SR7011 ~ M&K LCR 851 & CS35 ~ 2x4HD ~ PSA S1811 x 2 ~ Behringer NX3000D & BOSS
PC - i7 4790k & GTX970
HTPC - i5 4690k & GTX1060

Last edited by paulst; 10-22-2019 at 12:39 PM.
post #3699 of 4019 Old 10-22-2019, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 273 Post(s)
Quoted: 2536 Post(s)
Liked: 2817
Quote:
Also, one thing has me curious.. looking at JBL drivers manual it states connecting the drivers for 8 ohm (see top image).. If so, I'd only need a dual core speaker cable? Is this correct? Or should I run a 4 core cable split in two to each driver? I have a 4 pole Neutrik connector hence me looking for a 4 core cable so I could run one + & - to one speaker and another + & - to the other speaker?
the q is how many amp channels are you using, 1 amp channel = 2 cables from the amp. The picture you've shown is for a single amp channel running 2 woofers in series or parallel. Additional connecting wires may be required though of course.

Some common examples of insertion loss for a given cable size vs impedance can be found in https://www.audioholics.com/audio-vi...er-cable-gauge , 16AWG (~1.5mm2 CSA) is fine for UK house sized runs unless you have some byzantine wiring run
trhought and paulst like this.
post #3700 of 4019 Old 10-22-2019, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ll3d00d View Post
the q is how many amp channels are you using, 1 amp channel = 2 cables from the amp. The picture you've shown is for a single amp channel running 2 woofers in series or parallel. Additional connecting wires may be required though of course.

Some common examples of insertion loss for a given cable size vs impedance can be found in https://www.audioholics.com/audio-vi...er-cable-gauge , 16AWG (~1.5mm2 CSA) is fine for UK house sized runs unless you have some byzantine wiring run
Thanks. Yes, I plan on using one amp channel on the NX3000D.. I have a 4 pole Neutrik as well. if I place the amp at the front I'd need a 10 or 11m cable. If I place the amp behind my MLP I'd barely need a 3m cable (the amp behind seems the better option as I'm running out of space in my equipment rack)

Marantz SR7011 ~ M&K LCR 851 & CS35 ~ 2x4HD ~ PSA S1811 x 2 ~ Behringer NX3000D & BOSS
PC - i7 4790k & GTX970

post #3701 of 4019 Old 10-22-2019, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, I've drawn an x over each of the feet, I'll probably go with it how it looks using all the feet, unless there's any objections, I've drawn a dotted line where the two halfs of the sofa connect as well.. But yes, if I went for the rectangular option, then only one foot in the pie shaped corner will be on the ply board.. I can see how that could be a problem now.

Paul....Thanks....yep, you got it. If your phase 1 platform captures all the 8 of the feet marked with an X, that will work great. This assumes the top 2 X's in your picture are part of the pie shaped corner and not part of the shorter section piece....correct? If those 2 feet are part of the pie shaped piece, then your platform design will work great and you could add 2 more JBL's to that pie shaped piece later on down the road if desired.

Also, the closer you can mount the JBL's to your back legs of that sectional piece, the better the BOSS effect will be since the JBL's will be more aligned with your body mass when seated and your body mass will be more involved in the active shaking that will be going on.

For your speaker wire questions, I think it all depends on your goals and future BOSS expansions. If it were me, I'd find individual 16 gage wires (very small) or 2 conductor 16 ga. wire (also small) and then add more of those as needed down the road rather than trying to plan for how many conductors may be needed inside one of the structured wires.

Hope this helps.
paulst likes this.
post #3702 of 4019 Old 10-22-2019, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
This assumes the top 2 X's in your picture are part of the pie shaped corner and not part of the shorter section piece....correct? If those 2 feet are part of the pie shaped piece, then your platform design will work great and you could add 2 more JBL's to that pie shaped piece later on down the road if desired.
Thanks. Yes, all part of the pie shaped piece. There are also another two feet above the two feet at the top but I was going to raise the feet on those two so all is level, plus the ply board isn't big enough to reach those, so raising them is the only only option.. (see the left part of sofa hanging off the ply)

Quote:
For your speaker wire questions, I think it all depends on your goals and future BOSS expansions. If it were me, I'd find individual 16 gage wires (very small) or 2 conductor 16 ga. wire (also small) and then add more of those as needed down the road rather than trying to plan for how many conductors may be needed inside one of the structured wires.
Hope this helps.
Are you saying they should be wired as per the diagram in the manual (one dual core cable from the amp then joined at the two drivers) and save 2 of the 4 poles in the Neutrik for later? or run two seperate dual core cables to each driver utilising all 4 poles? Sorry it's just I've been looking into this for a couple of hours now and getting confused

PC - i7 4790k & GTX970

Last edited by paulst; 10-22-2019 at 01:40 PM.
post #3703 of 4019 Old 10-22-2019, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks. Yes, all part of the pie shaped piece. There are also another two feet above the two feet at the top but I was going to raise the feet on those two so all is level, plus the ply board isn't big enough to reach those, so raising them is the only only option.. (see the left part of sofa hanging off the ply)
Paul....Thanks for the details on your sectional couch. So, if the two X's at the top of the picture are part of the pie shaped piece, shouldn't there be at least 3 and probably 4 feet that aren't shown for the smaller section? Just trying to make sure none of those sections are attached to each other and they all have their own feet and could stand alone if placed separately. If none of them are connected and they all have their own feet, then you should be all set.

Quote:
Are you saying they should be wired as per the diagram in the manual (one dual core cable from the amp then joined at the two drivers) and save 2 of the 4 poles in the Neutrik for later? or run two seperate dual core cables to each driver utilising all 4 poles? Sorry it's just I've been looking into this for a couple of hours now and getting confused
For the wiring, I would wire the 2 JBL's you have now in series using 2 conductors as shown in the manual for a total of 8 ohms. That will allow the Behringer to run cooler at 8 ohms and not engage the fan as much. I wouldn't worry too much about the other drivers or the other 2 conductors in the bundled wire if you decide to go with the 4 conductor bundle. Once you know how many more JBL's you'll be getting and where they will be placed, then we can start to plan the wiring for those extra drivers. If it were me, I would just stay with traditional 2 conductor wire instead of 4 to keep things simple and also keep the overall bundled wire size smaller, but that's just a personal preference.

Hope this helps.
post #3704 of 4019 Old 10-22-2019, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
Just as a data point. I was concerned with the couch "walking" a bit too due to bass when building it. I ended up trying it as is, my couch is just sitting on it. I haven't had any issues with it moving on me in the 7 months I've been up and running. So YMMV depending on couch weight. Remember too that you've also going to usually have a human or two on it for additional weight when it's vibrating.

Another option over doing wood strips is to use drawer/desk non-slip liners. A roll is pretty cheap and you can cut it to be the same size as your feet. They'll give more than enough resistance.
That's a good point about people in the furniture during BOSS use which will increase friction and keep the furniture pieces in place. If there's BOSS platforms that don't have people sitting on them, those furniture pieces can start to move even with carpet. I found that out the hard way when our temporary fold-up bar table got bounced off the full size back riser. Since then, I've placed all my back issues of Sound and Vision magazine on top of it and it hasn't moved since....I need to build that permanent bar one of these days.

Last edited by trhought; 10-22-2019 at 06:32 PM.
post #3705 of 4019 Old 10-23-2019, 02:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Paul....Thanks for the details on your sectional couch. So, if the two X's at the top of the picture are part of the pie shaped piece, shouldn't there be at least 3 and probably 4 feet that aren't shown for the smaller section? Just trying to make sure none of those sections are attached to each other and they all have their own feet and could stand alone if placed separately. If none of them are connected and they all have their own feet, then you should be all set.

Here is the small section, has just 4 feet..

Here is the larger section..
The 4 red X are the feet that will seated on the ply,
The 2 blue X are the two that would need raising, to keep the sofa level.
There are another two round feet (blue arrows) that I reckon could be left alone as it makes no difference to the balance of the sofa whether they're attached or not.. I was intending to use them to raise the two blue X feet if they worked out to be the correct height needed.

Quote:
For the wiring, I would wire the 2 JBL's you have now in series using 2 conductors as shown in the manual for a total of 8 ohms. That will allow the Behringer to run cooler at 8 ohms and not engage the fan as much. I wouldn't worry too much about the other drivers or the other 2 conductors in the bundled wire if you decide to go with the 4 conductor bundle. Once you know how many more JBL's you'll be getting and where they will be placed, then we can start to plan the wiring for those extra drivers. If it were me, I would just stay with traditional 2 conductor wire instead of 4 to keep things simple and also keep the overall bundled wire size smaller, but that's just a personal preference.

Hope this helps.
OK, thanks, it just threw me a bit as to why I needed a 4 pole Neutrik, but it seems this is only needed if running in bridge mode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicj1 View Post
Sorry. Realised I gave you a link to the 2 pole. If your going to bridge you will need the 4 pole.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Neutrik-N...gAAOSwzBJdSV63

Yep, easy to terminate. With a 4 pole - 2 x positive and 2 x negative singles out of the Neutik into a connector block then 2 core speaker cable to you subs.

Once you get it up and running you will wish you had done it a lot sooner I can tell you that

My processor packed in last weekend. It's on its way to Belgium to see if it can be repaired. Which I know it can but at what cost. So I'm holding out on any spends right now. I also think my Quake is up to the task so I'm not sure what benefit I would get from a BOSS build having tried both (except it gives me something to do).

PC - i7 4790k & GTX970

Last edited by paulst; 10-23-2019 at 02:11 AM.
post #3706 of 4019 Old 10-23-2019, 02:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OK, thanks, it just threw me a bit as to why I needed a 4 pole Neutrik, but it seems this is only needed if running in bridge mode?
yes, bridge mode requires a connection to +1 and +2 at the amp

also the neutrik 2 pole adaptor has an exceptionally irritating and hard to use sleeve so I always buy 4 pole anyway
paulst likes this.
post #3707 of 4019 Old 10-23-2019, 02:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ll3d00d View Post
yes, bridge mode requires a connection to +1 and +2 at the amp

also the neutrik 2 pole adaptor has an exceptionally irritating and hard to use sleeve so I always buy 4 pole anyway
So if running in dual mono, the 4 pole is still OK to use? I assume you just connect to -1 & +1 on the Neutrik? And just use channel A on the amp..

PC - i7 4790k & GTX970

post #3708 of 4019 Old 10-23-2019, 02:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So if running in dual mono, the 4 pole is still OK to use? I assume you just connect to -1 & +1 on the Neutrik? And just use channel A on the amp..
sure, it's just a mechanism that makes an electrical connection so anything that connects the right things is fine
paulst likes this.
post #3709 of 4019 Old 10-23-2019, 04:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Have 4 Pioneer subs ready...
Minidsp HD has arrived....

Ordered 16 1.25" silicone bumpers which someone is getting for me from LA

Shall start work post diwali...
Should be boss ready and beq by Nov mid.
paulst likes this.
post #3710 of 4019 Old 10-23-2019, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Here is the small section, has just 4 feet..

Here is the larger section..
The 4 red X are the feet that will seated on the ply,
The 2 blue X are the two that would need raising, to keep the sofa level.
There are another two round feet (blue arrows) that I reckon could be left alone as it makes no difference to the balance of the sofa whether they're attached or not.. I was intending to use them to raise the two blue X feet if they worked out to be the correct height needed.

Paul....Thanks for all the details and the extra work to get pictures underneath. Makes perfect sense now....that corner piece is attached to the smaller piece which makes it one big piece. This changes your platform design. You want each furniture piece to have its own platform and not sharing platforms.

So, for your 2 piece sectional, your phase 1 platform design should only be under the main seats and not include the corner piece. Since the corner piece is connected to the smaller, less used piece, that's one big piece and should have its own platform underneath.

This will allow your 2 main seats to move freely up and down and not be hindered in movement by the corner piece which is connected to the other part of the sectional. That corner piece will rob lots of TR from your butt if it's included on the phase 1 BOSS platform.

There's a picture in Post 29 showing examples of "good" and "not good" platform designs when dealing with multiple furniture pieces like you have. The sketch in the very middle of that picture shows an example of a "not good" design illustrating why you don't want to have the same furniture piece on 2 separate platforms.

Hope this makes a bit more sense now.
paulst likes this.
post #3711 of 4019 Old 10-23-2019, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Paul....Thanks for all the details and the extra work to get pictures underneath. Makes perfect sense now....that corner piece is attached to the smaller piece which makes it one big piece. This changes your platform design. You want each furniture piece to have its own platform and not sharing platforms.

So, for your 2 piece sectional, your phase 1 platform design should only be under the main seats and not include the corner piece. Since the corner piece is connected to the smaller, less used piece, that's one big piece and should have its own platform underneath.

Hope this makes a bit more sense now.
Thanks, I was about to make the cut tomorrow so the job seems a lot easier now. I probably won't bother with making a larger platform for the larger part of the sofa, instead, I'll just raise the feet on it so it's level.

This will allow me to use all 8 isolation feet on the smaller part of the sofa as well I got some of the carpet saver risers today through the post so I'll use all 8 of those on the smaller part as well.. They fit quite nicely under the iso feet and will help in adding more space between the driver and my carpet.. I just hope they hold the weight (they're supposedly rated at 150KG per riser) so they should do..
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

PC - i7 4790k & GTX970

post #3712 of 4019 Old 10-23-2019, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

After looking at the pictures I think you're going about it all wrong. Put the sectional on a square platform and do this. You'll get great TR!

And yes, I have mad photo editing skills!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xE12zBo.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	545.8 KB
ID:	2631122  
trhought and paulst like this.

BEQ Slack group
The struggle is real for Generation Xplain Digital to the Analog and Analog to the Digital.
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
post #3713 of 4019 Old 10-23-2019, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
After looking at the pictures I think you're going about it all wrong. Put the sectional on a square platform and do this. You'll get great TR!

And yes, I have mad photo editing skills!
That'd be nice, if only. Think there should be a grille on top though as someone will step on it

Hoping tomorrow will be the day things get moving.. How's about this for some luck, I was thinking what could I use as a 286mm template to draw a perfect circle.. pulled out some dinner plates, too small, grabbed the Wok, too big, pulled out an old frying pan.. measured 285mm, by the time you draw a line round it, it's gonna be 286/287mm.. perfect Just unscrewed the handle with a phillips screwdriver, perfect circle. Just need to cut the ply down to size and get it under the sofa and figure out exactly where the drivers are going and should be good to go..

Got to grab an electric staple gun from my Uncle tomorrow to secure the carpet wrap around, then just wait for my 10m RCA cable and 3m Van Damme Blue 2.5mm speaker cable to be delivered (hopefully by the weekend).. Can't wait to try it now

I assume this is fine? I had 1.8m length left over from my speaker setup, tested it in the Neutrik and fits nice n snug..
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Van-Damme...dc31%7Ciid%3A1
DesertDog likes this.

PC - i7 4790k & GTX970

post #3714 of 4019 Old 10-23-2019, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That'd be nice, if only. Think there should be a grille on top though as someone will step on it

Hoping tomorrow will be the day things get moving.. How's about this for some luck, I was thinking what could I use as a 286mm template to draw a perfect circle.. pulled out some dinner plates, too small, grabbed the Wok, too big, pulled out an old frying pan.. measured 285mm, by the time you draw a line round it, it's gonna be 286/287mm.. perfect Just unscrewed the handle with a phillips screwdriver, perfect circle. Just need to cut the ply down to size and get it under the sofa and figure out exactly where the drivers are going and should be good to go..

Got to grab an electric staple gun from my Uncle tomorrow to secure the carpet wrap around, then just wait for my 10m RCA cable and 3m Van Damme Blue 2.5mm speaker cable to be delivered (hopefully by the weekend).. Can't wait to try it now

I assume this is fine? I had 1.8m length left over from my speaker setup, tested it in the Neutrik and fits nice n snug..
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Van-Damme...dc31%7Ciid%3A1
Well, since the driver is about 16.5" deep I'd install it facedown if really doing it. The platform would be way too high with it face up.

That left over cable is more than fine. Going from the the Neutrik connector to the drivers is a pretty short run. So 10 gauge is plenty. Really for the couple feet of it you could use 16 gauge (1.29mm) and be fine.
paulst likes this.

BEQ Slack group
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
post #3715 of 4019 Old 10-23-2019, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Well, since the driver is about 16.5" deep I'd install it facedown if really doing it. The platform would be way too high with it face up.

That left over cable is more than fine. Going from the the Neutrik connector to the drivers is a pretty short run. So 10 gauge is plenty. Really for the couple feet of it you could use 16 gauge (1.29mm) and be fine.
Might be a slight trip hazard that way up

The left over 1.8m bit I had was too short (I needed around 2.5m) so had to order a 3m length. I've also got to grab some spade connectors as well, looks like they're 6.3mm on the JBL's? Hard to see exactly with just a tape measure and doesn't say in the manual..

PC - i7 4790k & GTX970

post #3716 of 4019 Old 10-23-2019, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, I was about to make the cut tomorrow so the job seems a lot easier now. I probably won't bother with making a larger platform for the larger part of the sofa, instead, I'll just raise the feet on it so it's level.

This will allow me to use all 8 isolation feet on the smaller part of the sofa as well I got some of the carpet saver risers today through the post so I'll use all 8 of those on the smaller part as well.. They fit quite nicely under the iso feet and will help in adding more space between the driver and my carpet.. I just hope they hold the weight (they're supposedly rated at 150KG per riser) so they should do..
Paul....Thanks...yep, the phase 1 platform will be very simple now and just raising the other sectional piece won't take long at all!

Shaping up nicely!

For the isolators, just start with 4 placed under each of the 4 feet of the couch, then add another 2 mid-span between the couch feet since it looks to be more than 2' between those legs.

Won't be long and you'll be enjoying your BOSS!
paulst likes this.
post #3717 of 4019 Old 10-23-2019, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Paul....Thanks...yep, the phase 1 platform will be very simple now and just raising the other sectional piece won't take long at all!

Shaping up nicely!

For the isolators, just start with 4 placed under each of the 4 feet of the couch, then add another 2 mid-span between the couch feet since it looks to be more than 2' between those legs.

Won't be long and you'll be enjoying your BOSS!
Thanks, yes the platform will be 49" long, so I'll probably add another one or two in between the drivers as well to support the mid section. I was also thinking of putting a bit of double sided tape between the isolation feet and the carpet savers to the hold them together in case the platform needed to be lifted or moved? Also is the adhesive tape on the iso feet sticky enough to be secured directly to the ply or would it be best to add a bit glue to them as well?

Yeh, I really can't wait to get this up and running, it's been a long couple of weeks waiting for all the bits and preparing. I've even got a couple of my mates (who are into HC) eagerly awaiting my finished project so they can decide on whether to attempt it themselves, so I wouldn't want to disappoint

PC - i7 4790k & GTX970

post #3718 of 4019 Old 10-23-2019, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1264 Post(s)
Liked: 1889
@paulst. Starting to shape up. Looking forward to your finished product. I have a similar shaped couch that I have mounted my subs to. I have 2 complete, and finishing the other 2 today/tomorrow.
paulst likes this.
post #3719 of 4019 Old 10-23-2019, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, yes the platform will be 49" long, so I'll probably add another one or two in between the drivers as well to support the mid section. I was also thinking of putting a bit of double sided tape between the isolation feet and the carpet savers to the hold them together in case the platform needed to be lifted or moved? Also is the adhesive tape on the iso feet sticky enough to be secured directly to the ply or would it be best to add a bit glue to them as well?

Yeh, I really can't wait to get this up and running, it's been a long couple of weeks waiting for all the bits and preparing. I've even got a couple of my mates (who are into HC) eagerly awaiting my finished project so they can decide on whether to attempt it themselves, so I wouldn't want to disappoint
Paul....Thanks for the additional details. Yep, no problem with double sided tape to keep the carpet savers attached to the isolators. Also, the 3M tape on the isolators will do a great job of adhering to the plywood directly. Shouldn't be a problem with any isolator movement especially with the weight of the couch placed on top of the platform.

Looking forward to learning more about your build and your impressions (and your mates impressions) afterwards. Your BOSS won't disappoint!
paulst likes this.
post #3720 of 4019 Old 10-23-2019, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizrussspike View Post
@paulst. Starting to shape up. Looking forward to your finished product. I have a similar shaped couch that I have mounted my subs to. I have 2 complete, and finishing the other 2 today/tomorrow.
Russ....Thanks for the update.....looking forward to learning more about your BOSS expansion project and your impressions afterwards!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page