The Hideaway Theater - Page 131 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3476Likes

post #3901 of 4063 Old 11-08-2019, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2688 Post(s)
Liked: 2486
I have my 3000D power cable connected to the TP-link smart outlet where I can cut the power off via a button on my iphone App. In case one wonder if he/she could lose the settings cutting its power off instead of pushing its power ON/OFF button, the answer is NO as I just verified by viewing the settings on the front display after cutting it power off and turning it back on again. One thing to share is that if you have the 3000D turned on and launch NXedit, it will load whatever saved/stored on the the set up tab (see hi-light from picture). I happened to have a total different configuration stored from a while back and just found this out as I was going crazy that I kept losing the settings every time I launched NXedit. Any way, I changed all the settings between tabs to how I like and click the first 'Setup' tab to 'store' and name it as 30Hz LPF and now it launches the correct configuration when I launch NXEdit.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	46
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	2638362  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3902 of 4063 Old 11-08-2019, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have a dumb question. How is everyone connecting the input and output to the NX3000D amp? I recieved it today, and was expecting rca inputs as well as a spot for speaker wire, but this looks different.
post #3903 of 4063 Old 11-08-2019, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2582 Post(s)
Liked: 2228
These
https://www.amazon.com/TISINO-Adapte...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
and rca cables to sub(s).
Or these
https://www.amazon.com/Devinal-Speak...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
and speaker wire to sub(s).
Many other combinations, of course, depending on needs/distance/preference.
Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3904 of 4063 Old 11-08-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
These
https://www.amazon.com/TISINO-Adapte...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
and rca cables to sub(s).
Or these
https://www.amazon.com/Devinal-Speak...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
and speaker wire to sub(s).
Many other combinations, of course, depending on needs/distance/preference.
Michael
Thank you for that. Do i need the female or male set of the devinal? I will run an rca from my reciever to the nx3000.
post #3905 of 4063 Old 11-08-2019, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 737 Post(s)
Liked: 2076
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpertpredator View Post
Thank you for that. Do i need the female or male set of the devinal? I will run an rca from my reciever to the nx3000.
For input you can also use rca to 1/4" mono adapter, like these. If you use one of those just make sure you get the mono ones, like in the link, and not a stereo one.

BEQ Slack group
The struggle is real for Generation Xplain Digital to the Analog and Analog to the Digital.
Klipsch RF-7III, RC-64III
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
Sony 85X900F, Denon 8500, nVidia Shield, Apple TV
post #3906 of 4063 Old 11-08-2019, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Look on the back of the 3000 - you need the three pin male.
As I said, there are many ways of doing what you need. You can get a cable that's rca on one end and xlr on the other.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4777
Just about any of these options will work equally well.
Michael
post #3907 of 4063 Old 11-08-2019, 11:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1503 Post(s)
Liked: 2163
I've been getting very little spl from my ported full riser on sorbothane 50duro. Haven't touched my settings I months. I got sidetracked pimpin the riser , buying speakers and amps. I'm carrying the theme to the subs as well
post #3908 of 4063 Old 11-09-2019, 03:48 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Anybody seen / used these as BOSS isolators : https://www.auralex.com/product/u-boat-floor-floaters/
less than $4 each

Last edited by niterida; 11-09-2019 at 03:59 AM.
post #3909 of 4063 Old 11-09-2019, 04:37 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by niterida View Post
Anybody seen / used these as BOSS isolators : https://www.auralex.com/product/u-boat-floor-floaters/
less than $4 each
very firm. unlikely they will provide enough movement but i might be wrong.....i actually have a bunch of these, i used them to isolate my stage and riser (not a BOSS yet)
post #3910 of 4063 Old 11-09-2019, 04:48 AM

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 105
I read an Audioholics article from 2007 where they used them on a "passive" BOSS riser - one that didn't have any drivers mounted to it but relied on the external subs to move it and the review said it worked quite well. Just thought I'd throw them out there for opinions - would be interesting to see if you could try them out.
post #3911 of 4063 Old 11-09-2019, 05:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Does anybody here know Xmax of the Crowsons? I'm wondering how they'd compare to Powersoft's Mover.

A Star Is Born - Lady Gaga goes Rock Audio&Video by Ocean Studios (me)
SKHorn Build
Samsung KS7500 - Marantz NR1504 - Klipsch R-26F - Klipsch R-25C - Klipsch R-15M - SKHorn (on FP-13000 clone)
Bass EQ for Filtered Video Games
post #3912 of 4063 Old 11-09-2019, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The crossbars inside my couch are fairly low to the ground. With two 3/4 pieces of plywood I would be able to get the jbls to the front of the couch. With 3 3/4 pieces I can get them to the middle of the couch. Would this be sufficient? There is no way to get them all the way to the back of the couch. How has middle placement worked for others? Also, what I am truly seeking is tactile response and specifically “chest slam” because I’m missing a lot of this on concrete floors without turning up the SPL very high. Does the boss provide chest slam even when limiting them to the prescribed 40hz due to natural feel? Thank you.
post #3913 of 4063 Old 11-09-2019, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLViking2011 View Post
The crossbars inside my couch are fairly low to the ground. With two 3/4 pieces of plywood I would be able to get the jbls to the front of the couch. With 3 3/4 pieces I can get them to the middle of the couch. Would this be sufficient? There is no way to get them all the way to the back of the couch. How has middle placement worked for others? Also, what I am truly seeking is tactile response and specifically “chest slam” because I’m missing a lot of this on concrete floors without turning up the SPL very high. Does the boss provide chest slam even when limiting them to the prescribed 40hz due to natural feel? Thank you.

Chest slam is in the 60-80Hz region, which the boss is not made for. Sealed nearfield subs would do what you're looking for. The placement doesn't have such a big impact as you might be thinking, middle of the couch is perfectly fine.

SKHorn Build
Samsung KS7500 - Marantz NR1504 - Klipsch R-26F - Klipsch R-25C - Klipsch R-15M - SKHorn (on FP-13000 clone)
post #3914 of 4063 Old 11-09-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peniku8 View Post
Quote:
The crossbars inside my couch are fairly low to the ground. With two 3/4 pieces of plywood I would be able to get the jbls to the front of the couch. With 3 3/4 pieces I can get them to the middle of the couch. Would this be sufficient? There is no way to get them all the way to the back of the couch. How has middle placement worked for others? Also, what I am truly seeking is tactile response and specifically “chest slam” because I’️m missing a lot of this on concrete floors without turning up the SPL very high. Does the boss provide chest slam even when limiting them to the prescribed 40hz due to natural feel? Thank you.

Chest slam is in the 60-80Hz region, which the boss is not made for. Sealed nearfield subs would do what you're looking for. The placement doesn't have such a big impact as you might be thinking, middle of the couch is perfectly fine.
Ok. Thank you. So during a movie the boss platform would only shake during ULF noises like an earthquake but not during something like handgun shots? How often would the boss be engaged during a movie with the suggested 40hz limit? It’s going to be fairly big a job to get this built so want to make sure the juice is worth the squeeze. If it’s only really for the odd ULF effect I’m not sure it would be worth it. Appreciate the honest feedback.
post #3915 of 4063 Old 11-09-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The crossbars inside my couch are fairly low to the ground. With two 3/4 pieces of plywood I would be able to get the jbls to the front of the couch. With 3 3/4 pieces I can get them to the middle of the couch. Would this be sufficient? There is no way to get them all the way to the back of the couch. How has middle placement worked for others? Also, what I am truly seeking is tactile response and specifically “chest slamâ€Â because I’️m missing a lot of this on concrete floors without turning up the SPL very high. Does the boss provide chest slam even when limiting them to the prescribed 40hz due to natural feel? Thank you.

Ok. Thank you. So during a movie the boss platform would only shake during ULF noises like an earthquake but not during something like handgun shots? How often would the boss be engaged during a movie with the suggested 40hz limit? It’s going to be fairly big a job to get this built so want to make sure the juice is worth the squeeze. If it’s only really for the odd ULF effect I’m not sure it would be worth it. Appreciate the honest feedback.
Please keep in mind that I’m probably not getting any ULF at the moment with my concrete floor. So it may be that I don’t know what I’m missing? Lol. I appreciate the enlightenment and feel free to let me know what I’m missing.
post #3916 of 4063 Old 11-09-2019, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If you don't BEQ, you're losing out big time on the BOSS. It's a very nice addition. I dislike the feeling of anything tactile above 25Hz, which doesn't originate from SPL. The BOSS is only really meant for ULF imo

SKHorn Build
post #3917 of 4063 Old 11-09-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Ok. Thank you. So during a movie the boss platform would only shake during ULF noises like an earthquake but not during something like handgun shots? How often would the boss be engaged during a movie with the suggested 40hz limit? It’️s going to be fairly big a job to get this built so want to make sure the juice is worth the squeeze. If it’️s only really for the odd ULF effect I’️m not sure it would be worth it. Appreciate the honest feedback.

If you don't BEQ, you're losing out big time on the BOSS. It's a very nice addition. I dislike the feeling of anything tactile above 25Hz, which doesn't originate from SPL. The BOSS is only really meant for ULF imo
Thank you. Can you give some examples from a movie wherein the ULF with the boss would be utilized? I don’t think I’ve felt ULF with my setup on concrete floor. So gunshots have kind of been my wheelhouse.
post #3918 of 4063 Old 11-09-2019, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thank you. Can you give some examples from a movie wherein the ULF with the boss would be utilized? I don’t think I’ve felt ULF with my setup on concrete floor. So gunshots have kind of been my wheelhouse.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...cy-charts.html
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...ed-movies.html

What's your subwoofer setup?

SKHorn Build
post #3919 of 4063 Old 11-09-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Thank you. Can you give some examples from a movie wherein the ULF with the boss would be utilized? I don’️t think I’️ve felt ULF with my setup on concrete floor. So gunshots have kind of been my wheelhouse.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...ed-movies.html

What's your subwoofer setup?
I have dual FF v1811s.
post #3920 of 4063 Old 11-09-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Can you give some examples from a movie wherein the ULF with the boss would be utilized?
Michael
post #3921 of 4063 Old 11-09-2019, 06:07 PM

Build is going well. Quick question on the canitlever design the front isolators should be placed directly under the sofa feet correct? But the rears should be slightly back of the center of the drivers.
post #3922 of 4063 Old 11-09-2019, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked: 1341
Quote:
Build is going well. Quick question on the canitlever design the front isolators should be placed directly under the sofa feet correct? But the rears should be slightly back of the center of the drivers.
xperetpredator....Thanks for the update and sorry for the late reply. Been doing a bit of college football watching and a whole lot of celebrating after the Tigers/Bama game Yes, that's correct, the front isos will be under your front furniture legs and the back isos will be slightly back of the center of the drivers instead of under the back legs.

Looking forward to hearing your initial impressions after firing up your BOSS.

Hope this helps.
post #3923 of 4063 Old 11-09-2019, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trhought View Post
Quote:
xperetpredator....Thanks for the update and sorry for the late reply. Been doing a bit of college football watching and a whole lot of celebrating after the Tigers/Bama game [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG] Yes, that's correct, the front isos will be under your front furniture legs and the back isos will be slightly back of the center of the drivers instead of under the back legs.

Looking forward to hearing your initial impressions after firing up your BOSS.

Hope this helps.
Thank you. That is what I did. It's built. Just waiting for Amazon to deliver the connectors for the amp tomorrow. Been reading up on the settings for the amp. From what I gather I need to set my avr crossover for my bass to 80hz from 120 that I have currently.? In reading gup on the manual to understand the settings to figure out what I need to do there.
post #3924 of 4063 Old 11-09-2019, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you. That is what I did. It's built. Just waiting for Amazon to deliver the connectors for the amp tomorrow. Been reading up on the settings for the amp. From what I gather I need to set my avr crossover for my bass to 80hz from 120 that I have currently.? In reading gup on the manual to understand the settings to figure out what I need to do there.
xpertpredator....sounds like you'll be using a Behringer since you mentioned connectors for the amp. If so, and it has DSP, go ahead and keep you're AVR settings like they are and just use the Behringer to apply the LPF. Start at 80Hz and see how you like it. Don't be afraid to try lower LPF's also (60Hz, 40Hz, etc). Just keep watching some of your favorite bass demo scenes that you're familiar with until you find an LPF you like.

The "LPF for LFE" setting I refer to in Post 29 is for those that aren't using any DSP after the AVR. That's a setting in one of the AVR menus. For those with DSP after the amp, the BOSS signal can be shaped accordingly after the AVR using that DSP instead.

Hope this helps.
post #3925 of 4063 Old 11-10-2019, 07:33 AM

I’m going to be building the boss over the next couple of weeks. If I wanted to add buttkickers later would i install them on the same platform and if so, in what way (under couch feet or attached directly to platform under the couch)? I’m going to be using three sheets of 3/4x4x10 plywood so don’t know if that would make a difference.
post #3926 of 4063 Old 11-10-2019, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked: 590
Quote:
What is the best way to prevent the couch feet from sliding on the platform? It’s going to be a tight fit with the drivers and I don’t want the couch to move and damage them. I was thinking of little Velcro tabs where one side would stick to the platform and the other to the couch feet, thereby joining them? Also, Would this effect performance? If there is a better way let me know. Thanks!
Here is what I did. Not sure if it will work for you or not. The seat's feet fit in the cup;
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1801.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	2638934  
trhought likes this.

Denali Cinema
JVC-RS540, 124" Wide 2.40:1 DIY Screen, Denon 8500H, Denon 6200W, Panasonic UB820 UHD Player, (3) iNuke 6000DSP; (2) iNuke NX3000D; (3) HTM-12; (14) RSL C34e surrounds; (2) 18" DA RSS460HO-4 Subwoofers; (1) DA UM18-22 18" Ultimax Subwoofer; (4) DA RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofers; BOSS Platform - (12) 12" Subwoofers
post #3927 of 4063 Old 11-10-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazensol View Post
Quote:
What is the best way to prevent the couch feet from sliding on the platform? It’️s going to be a tight fit with the drivers and I don’️t want the couch to move and damage them. I was thinking of little Velcro tabs where one side would stick to the platform and the other to the couch feet, thereby joining them? Also, Would this effect performance? If there is a better way let me know. Thanks!
Here is what I did. Not sure if it will work for you or not. The seat's feet fit in the cup;
That’s a great idea. Won’t work for mine because the feet are quite flush to the frame. Going to find another solution. Probably some very short 0.5x0.5 pieces.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ABC62B73-BD6D-496B-9743-8D13E4731377_1573397384202.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	2638944  
brazensol likes this.
post #3928 of 4063 Old 11-10-2019, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I’m going to be building the boss over the next couple of weeks. If I wanted to add buttkickers later would i install them on the same platform and if so, in what way (under couch feet or attached directly to platform under the couch)? I’m going to be using three sheets of 3/4x4x10 plywood so don’t know if that would make a difference.
FLViking....Thanks for the update on your build and design. I'd plan to add the BK's directly to the platform. Just like the drivers, the closer they are located to the back feet, the more TR you'll feel being delivered to your butt and you won't have to turn them up as much as a result. Keeping the volume lower is helpful for BK's as other members have reported loud clanking noises with them as the volume is increased. The BK's combined with the BOSS platform will help with that situation.

With your thick and heavy platform, locating them further away from the back feet becomes less important because that platform won't be bending very much at all, which is a very good thing. Just make sure to glue and screw each layer together. Any energy spent bending a BOSS platform is energy not making it to your butt. Because your platform will be heavier, that will also help with the low end response of your platform when floating on the isolators below.

Some members, have placed the BK's in a cantilever location behind their furniture on the BOSS platform and have reported good results. @imureh did this after a few months of having his BOSS only platform by adding some very sturdy shelves behind his furniture bolted to the BOSS platform and is reporting great results. I only mention this as a case in point where, if you can't fit the rather large BK's to the BOSS platform directly below your furniture, they can always be retrofit later behind your furniture with a bolt-on platform.

Hope this helps.
imureh likes this.
post #3929 of 4063 Old 11-10-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trhought View Post
use the Behringer to apply the LPF. Start at 80Hz and see how you like it.
Again, because of the way it works, I'd suggest instead a high pass with negative gain, and then just increase the gain on the amp. You'll want to start lower than 80Hz, though.
Or, come to think of it, BOTH!
Michael

NEVER MIND. As demonstrated later, this does NOT work in the DEQ panel. LP with +dB is the way to go.
Michael

Last edited by LastButNotLeast; 11-11-2019 at 04:51 PM.
post #3930 of 4063 Old 11-10-2019, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 229 Post(s)
Quoted: 2949 Post(s)
Liked: 3772
Quote:
What is the best way to prevent the couch feet from sliding on the platform? It’s going to be a tight fit with the drivers and I don’t want the couch to move and damage them. I was thinking of little Velcro tabs where one side would stick to the platform and the other to the couch feet, thereby joining them? Also, Would this effect performance? If there is a better way let me know. Thanks!

I have used sticky Velcro for this and it has worked just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser, 2 BK LFE
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page