The Hideaway Theater - Page 145 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4873Likes

post #4321 of 6257 Old 12-07-2019, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarteli View Post
Work in progress.
Looks perfect!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4322 of 6257 Old 12-07-2019, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 250
It being some 6+ months on since getting our "HoverCOUCH"..(cough) up and running, I thought I'd post a quick update:

Surprisingly, I haven't found a need to adjust the air pressure in the inner-tubes. As expected, the pressure does fluctuate slightly with temperature(gas law and all that), but it's no big deal.

I too WAS concerned with durability, but so far, I've been pleasantly surprised. Similar to Trhought's approach, I placed several small wood blocks around the perimeter beneath the HoverCouch to protect the JBL's - "just in case". My racing background affords me a "run it hard til it breaks" mentality. How else to find the limits? Bring on the football team I say!

One unexpected benefit of the innertube suspension, is that the HoverCouch remains anchored "rock solid" to the carpet. If I were setting up a HoverCouch platform on a concrete substrate, I think I'd place a carpet beneath the inner tubes to help protect them from the abrasive concrete, just in case...

It should be said that I'm still very happy with the approach I've taken. I've found that the tubes go on sale from time to time for as little as $7 each. At present, I'm using 6 of them(1 under each JBL & the rest to support the adjacent "L" section of the couch that is "passive". The passive section moves in sympathy with the main "active" section synchonously, to an extent that no discontinuity is appartent other than that the effect is somewhat attenuated.

One of the things I enjoy the most, is the depth and gradient of the tactile experience. It's kinda freaky, as it's a totally unique sensation, foreign to anything I've experienced in the "natural" world. I just watched Avengers "End Game", and appreciated that effect.

My hope is that the Boss(and HoverCouch) will inspire others to further refine, develop and innovate ULF technology to its greatest tactile potential.

Have fun!
DesertDog and Nalleh like this.

Last edited by Longeze; 12-07-2019 at 11:23 AM.
post #4323 of 6257 Old 12-07-2019, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 469 Post(s)
Quoted: 3173 Post(s)
Liked: 4787
^^^ And you are using ~4psi of pressure on them? Did you experiment with different pressures?

Dual AVR 13.1.8 SWAtmos - Atmos 13.1.8/DTS X 9.1.8/Auro 3D 13.1 - Denon AVCX8500H+AVRX7200WA - Klipsch+KEF - 4xSI18" - 12x12" w/6xSLAPS M12 VNF - 4x12"HB+2x18"CLHB - 6x Crowsons - 4xBK-LFE - 2x12"BB - 2x "4DX" fans- 6xNU6K - Minidsp 10x10HD - Oppo UDP203 - XB1X - ATV4K - JVC RS600 Dreamscreen V2 120"- Samsung QE82Q60.
>>>>Nalleh’s HT<<<<
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4324 of 6257 Old 12-07-2019, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Picked up 4 JBL's on Black Friday. Last nights proof of concept was promising.

The couch is a reclining wall hugger so driver placement was a test and tune event with scrap wood. The magnet barely kiss a small cross bar spring clip when fully upright.

Power is a Dayton SPA250DSP laying around waiting on another sub build. This might get changed if I don't end up using much of the DSP.

1. If usable travel is exceeded, do these speakers make audible clacking etc? Hard to tell how hard these are being driven.

2. Should I be concerned about mounting a plate amp on the same vibrating platform as the JBL's.

3. The couch has 8 supporting feet, all of which land on the two test "platforms" yet the middle seat has obviously less movement. Would a solid piece spanning the whole couch fix this or do I need another driver under there? 3 is not a good ohm load for the amp so I'd like to just use 2. Doubt I have room for 4.

4. While building the test panels, I kept wondering, why not just use bass shakers? Dayton Audio BST-1 are the same price or cheaper. Is BOSS notably better?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2716.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	2650836  
post #4325 of 6257 Old 12-07-2019, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 283 Post(s)
Quoted: 3465 Post(s)
Liked: 4677
Quote:
Originally Posted by varun432 View Post
The installation of 3 pioneer drivers on my platform is complete.. Just got to check with few demo scenes and watched a movie with it angel has fallen.

I haven't beqed still.. And i didn't recalibrate anything.. I haven't even checked the levels at which the boss subs are playing.. Just visually checked the subs and set the gain..

Got to say i enjoyed the tactical a lot.. Had fun during the action scenes of movies.. But was still left wanting more.. I had thought by my readings here that its overwhelming and needs to be turned down.. Didn't get that kind of feel... Infact wanted to gain up more.. But couldn't risk damaging the drivers...

Will do further testing and calibrating and installing minidsp in a few days And then report back..

Like many others things TR is subjective. There are some that think just being on a suspended floor gives too much TR, then you have others who have multiple TR devices on a suspended floor and still want more. So I would not judge those comments to reflect what you want. There are many things that can be tweaked but once you have a mindsp to make sure all is set up to maximize the TR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser, 2 BK LFE
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
post #4326 of 6257 Old 12-07-2019, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked: 2898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longeze View Post
It being some 6+ months on since getting our "HoverCOUCH"..(cough) up and running, I thought I'd post a quick update:

Surprisingly, I haven't found a need to adjust the air pressure in the inner-tubes. As expected, the pressure does fluctuate slightly with temperature(gas law and all that), but it's no big deal.

I too WAS concerned with durability, but so far, I've been pleasantly surprised. Similar to Trhought's approach, I placed several small wood blocks around the perimeter beneath the HoverCouch to protect the JBL's - "just in case". My racing background affords me a "run it hard til it breaks" mentality. How else to find the limits? Bring on the football team I say!

One unexpected benefit of the innertube suspension, is that the HoverCouch remains anchored "rock solid" to the carpet. If I were setting up a HoverCouch platform on a concrete substrate, I think I'd place a carpet beneath the inner tubes to help protect them from the abrasive concrete, just in case...

It should be said that I'm still very happy with the approach I've taken. I've found that the tubes go on sale from time to time for as little as $7 each. At present, I'm using 6 of them(1 under each JBL & the rest to support the adjacent "L" section of the couch that is "passive". The passive section moves in sympathy with the main "active" section synchonously, to an extent that no discontinuity is appartent other than that the effect is somewhat attenuated.

One of the things I enjoy the most, is the depth and gradient of the tactile experience. It's kinda freaky, as it's a totally unique sensation, foreign to anything I've experienced in the "natural" world. I just watched Avengers "End Game", and appreciated that effect.

My hope is that the Boss(and HoverCouch) will inspire others to further refine, develop and innovate ULF technology to its greatest tactile potential.

Have fun!
What tubes are you using and did you take any precautions to prevent the wood from possibly puncturing the tubes?

PS, I hate @Nalleh , he knows why
Nalleh likes this.

#IHateNalleh
The struggle is real for Generation Xplain Digital to the Analog and Analog to the Digital.
Klipsch RF-7III, RC-64III
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
Sony 85X900F, Denon 8500, nVidia Shield, Apple TV
post #4327 of 6257 Old 12-07-2019, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2973 Post(s)
Liked: 2740
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
Get in line.
At least I got even with him with a Viberry.
He's cost me more, though.

MIchael
post #4328 of 6257 Old 12-07-2019, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What tubes are you using and did you take any precautions to prevent the wood from possibly puncturing the tubes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
Get in line.

MIchael

richardsim7 likes this.

Dual AVR 13.1.8 SWAtmos - Atmos 13.1.8/DTS X 9.1.8/Auro 3D 13.1 - Denon AVCX8500H+AVRX7200WA - Klipsch+KEF - 4xSI18" - 12x12" w/6xSLAPS M12 VNF - 4x12"HB+2x18"CLHB - 6x Crowsons - 4xBK-LFE - 2x12"BB - 2x "4DX" fans- 6xNU6K - Minidsp 10x10HD - Oppo UDP203 - XB1X - ATV4K - JVC RS600 Dreamscreen V2 120"- Samsung QE82Q60.
>>>>Nalleh’s HT<<<<
post #4329 of 6257 Old 12-07-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalleh View Post
^^^ And you are using ~4psi of pressure on them? Did you experiment with different pressures?
I did experiment with different pressures and settled on 7psi, but it's probably somewhat meaningless for you, other than as a crude indication of the psi range you'll be dealing with. As you might expect, the "ideal" psi will vary with each application by virtue of differing amounts of mass being suspended as well as the area to be supported.

I did the math and all that before I began, just to get an idea of where I needed to be at, but as a practical matter I'd suggest that you just inflate your tubes to 8 psi and relieve pressure ~0.5psi at a time from there until you find your sweet spot. I'm reluctant to advise anything higher, because I have no idea about the quality of the tubes you're working with. Remember, you're using them without the benefit of an exoskeleton(the tire) for support. FWIW, I tried higher pressures and didn't like the effect as well. For want of a better description, it was too "buzzy" - YMMV.

@DesertDog : I used no fabric or foam buffer pad or layer. I was concerned about this issue as well, but early on, I checked several times over the 1st couple months and found no indication of scuffing at all FWIW.

Last edited by Longeze; 12-07-2019 at 08:14 PM.
post #4330 of 6257 Old 12-07-2019, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longeze View Post
I did experiment with different pressures and settled on 7psi, but it's probably somewhat meaningless for you, other than as a crude indication of the psi range you'll be dealing with. As you might expect, the "ideal" psi will vary with each application by virtue of differing amounts of mass being suspended as well as the area to be supported.

I did the math and all that before I began, just to get an idea of where I needed to be at, but as a practical matter I'd suggest that you just inflate your tubes to 8 psi and relieve pressure ~0.5psi at a time from there until you find your sweet spot. I'm reluctant to advise anything higher, because I have no idea about the quality of the tubes you're working with. Remember, you're using them without the benefit of an exoskeleton(the tire) for support. FWIW, I tried higher pressures and didn't like the effect as well. For want of a better description, it was too "buzzy" - YMMV.

@DesertDog : I used no fabric or foam buffer pad or layer. I was concerned about this issue as well, but early on, I checked several times over the 1st couple months and found no indication of scuffing at all FWIW.

Thanks.
Yes, my use is a bit different, as i only have the tubes under the rear of the plattform, not the whole plattform as you have. And i think i have to "fat" tubes(4" dia), so i can’t use 7-8 psi, as the plattform will be all lopsided. I think i am below 1 psi. So too soft.

Need more testing

>>>>Nalleh’s HT<<<<
post #4331 of 6257 Old 12-07-2019, 10:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 36
has anyone else who ordered the JBL Drivers from best buy during black friday weekend having issues, mine are on delay and if not delivered by the 2nd Best Buy says they will cancel the order??

Shouldn't I get a raincheck at least or something?

My Humble HT: Integra 40.3 Audyssey Calibrated / Denon 1930Ci SACD/DVD-A Player / Sony 3600 3D blu Ray / Behringer iNuke 3000DSP / Mach 5 IXL 18.4 Subwoofer / Optoma HD142x 3D REady 1080P DLP Projector / 92" 16:9 Manual screen / miniDSP HD2x4
post #4332 of 6257 Old 12-07-2019, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalleh View Post
Thanks.
.. i am below 1 psi. So too soft...
I confess I haven't been keeping up with the avs threads other than to read the posts(w/o pix) in my email when notified of them. I read back through a couple months here and saw your application, pix & graphs. Great stuff! Just what I was hoping someone would publish. On behalf of my mad scientist side - thank-you!

Now that I'm up to speed, I encourage you to try a 16" bicycle or 2 instead of the wheelbarrow tubes. They're cheap to try, you have failsafe protection, and they'd allow you to test at higher psi if you wanted to experiment in that direction. FWIW, we've had 800lbs +/- on ours with no issue. I'd love to see overlay graphs at varying psi )
Nalleh likes this.
post #4333 of 6257 Old 12-07-2019, 11:39 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Watched another movie last night..
The lion King with beq using minidsp HD only on the boss platform..

The difference was telling.. Enjoyed it.. So did the kids..
I haven't still got the time to tweak everything...
Its still just plug and play..

But it sure takes movie watching at home to another level..
So BOSS is finally up.

There is one thing though... To constantly keep doing beq we need a computer on the same network... I do not have a spare computer in my hometheater for such duties..
Is their a work around to do the same thing from an android or apple phone..
post #4334 of 6257 Old 12-08-2019, 12:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There is one thing though... To constantly keep doing beq we need a computer on the same network... I do not have a spare computer in my hometheater for such duties..
Is their a work around to do the same thing from an android or apple phone..
Unfortunately no. The miniDSP apps for the phones only allow you to change the volume and config. You can't load a file with them.

#IHateNalleh
The struggle is real for Generation Xplain Digital to the Analog and Analog to the Digital.
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
post #4335 of 6257 Old 12-08-2019, 02:39 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 120
What's the minimum clearance for the woofer in a mini riser? I have used the 2,5" isolators and the woofer are very near the grond, 1/2" (12mm) or so when not setting on the couch. Woofers used, JBL stage 1210

post #4336 of 6257 Old 12-08-2019, 05:14 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Now I need to wait for the nx3000d.....

DesertDog, OJ Bartley and Spidacat like this.
post #4337 of 6257 Old 12-08-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
To constantly keep doing beq we need a computer on the same network... I do not have a spare computer in my hometheater for such duties.
Even something like this would work fine:
https://www.dailysteals.com/collecti...-windows-7-pro
The other option is to beq the movie itself before you watch it. A little bit of a pita but many prefer it that way, since you don't need the miniDSP.
Michael
post #4338 of 6257 Old 12-08-2019, 10:19 AM

I have the Behringer nx3000d amp. I want to set a low pass filter of 40hz so that the boss is only engaged below that frequency. When I go to set this up in the amp it lets me put in the 40hz but it’s asking to put in a certain filter and gain. I didn’t expect to have to choose a certain filter... just want everything below 40hz. Does anyone have experience with this to know which filter I should select? There are about 6-7 of them. I’m familiar with receivers but not with amp settings. Thanks. There doesn’t appear to be just a standard filter...
post #4339 of 6257 Old 12-08-2019, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked: 2204
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLViking2011 View Post
I have the Behringer nx3000d amp. I want to set a low pass filter of 40hz so that the boss is only engaged below that frequency. When I go to set this up in the amp it lets me put in the 40hz but it’s asking to put in a certain filter and gain. I didn’t expect to have to choose a certain filter... just want everything below 40hz. Does anyone have experience with this to know which filter I should select? There are about 6-7 of them. I’m familiar with receivers but not with amp settings. Thanks. There doesn’t appear to be just a standard filter...

Because filters aren't brick walls, they're slopes, and there are many types of slopes. Try a butterworth 12/dB and see how that feels - experiment! only you can decide what feels best
paulst likes this.
post #4340 of 6257 Old 12-08-2019, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Get in line.

MIchael
We should turn "I hate @Nalleh " into our version of "Epstein didn't kill himself" where we slip it into the end of everything.

Quote:
Quote:
Watched another movie last night..
Even something like this would work fine:
https://www.dailysteals.com/collecti...-windows-7-pro
The other option is to beq the movie itself before you watch it. A little bit of a pita but many prefer it that way, since you don't need the miniDSP.
Michael
Another option if you have a computer in another part of the house and just not in the HT is to get the WiFi adapter for the miniDSP and set the config from the other room. They work great. I control mine from around the house on my laptop with it.

#IHateNalleh
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
post #4341 of 6257 Old 12-08-2019, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLViking2011 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardsim7 View Post
Because filters aren't brick walls, they're slopes, and there are many types of slopes. Try a butterworth 12/dB and see how that feels - experiment! only you can decide what feels best
I went for the Butterworth 12db also, but at 35hz, and in the MiniDSP instead..
richardsim7 likes this.

LG OLED65B8 ~ HTPC ~ Oppo BDP-93 ~ PS3 ~ PS4 ~ Toshiba HD-XE1 ~ Harmony One
Marantz SR7011 ~ M&K LCR 851 & CS35 ~ 2x4HD ~ PSA S1811 x 2 ~ Behringer NX3000D & BOSS
PC - i7 4790k & GTX970
HTPC - i5 4690k & GTX1060

post #4342 of 6257 Old 12-08-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
We should turn "I hate @Nalleh " into our version of "Epstein didn't kill himself" where we slip it into the end of everything.
I don't have any room left in my sig, otherwise I would.

Quote:
the WiFi adapter for the miniDSP
That only works with the HD version, doesn't it?
Michael
post #4343 of 6257 Old 12-08-2019, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

That only works with the HD version, doesn't it?
Michael
It doesn't look like it works for the 2x4 (non-HD). It's not listed on the product page at least. The x8 and x10 models have support though along with some of their other devices. varun432 said he uses the miniDSP HD in the initial post. So I figured it was an option.

#IHateNalleh
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
post #4344 of 6257 Old 12-08-2019, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

Michael
Aaawwhh, you guys

>>>>Nalleh’s HT<<<<
post #4345 of 6257 Old 12-08-2019, 03:44 PM

Finished updating the nx3000d with the Behringer software for the limit, crossover and high shelf filter. Going to give it shot and see how it sounds. Thanks for the advice. I have the 6 jbls in series and parallel at 6ohms. There wasn’t a 6ohms options in the limiting section of the software so put it at 4ohms and 320 watts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	76017174-F0E7-41EF-8A4C-9E62E9142C19_1575848528683.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	2651304   Click image for larger version

Name:	2D39F3A9-EB08-462C-897F-758D2E752943_1575848546287.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	2651306   Click image for larger version

Name:	E0760DE5-168F-4B23-B116-EAB5E3AB308A_1575848561605.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	2651308  
post #4346 of 6257 Old 12-08-2019, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked: 2204
post #4347 of 6257 Old 12-08-2019, 04:47 PM

Now add a house curve.
Under both DEQ and PEQ, I'd start with +6dB LP12 @ 20Hz,
You won't need it, but they can handle more than 320 watts.
Michael
post #4348 of 6257 Old 12-08-2019, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 864 Post(s)
Liked: 670
The Hideaway Theater

Hi everyone,

I am finishing up the design for my BOSS platform, and it is going to be 96" wide by 38" deep. I will have a three-seat motorized Berkline theater chair setup on it. I am placing the six JBL GX1200 drivers behind the seat frames, in a cantilever style. Everything should fit nicely. I have allowed for 1" of space between each pair of drivers under each seat pair driver holes, and 1.5" between the driver holes and the rear of the platform.

I am only using one sheet of plywood, and it will be in a basement theater with a concrete floor, heavy carpet padding, and thick carpet. Therefore, I will be using the carpet protectors. I started looking closer at the carpet protectors, and it looks like there might be some higher-quality variants at Amazon, so I am just wondering what the goal is with those. Specifically, should I get the protectors that have taller “spikes”, but have a flat surface for the isolator time rest on, or stay with the variety that have shorter “spikes”, but a concave / cupped surface for the isolator?

Now, for the isolators: Given the above, and based on my research, it seems like I should be purchasing the 2” diameter, 1" tall isolators, but please confirm that is accurate. If anything about my design looks wrong, please let me know. I will include a crude, not to scale drawing below. Note that I have drawn the metal framing with the "button" plastic feet on them, and there are four for each seat, and two for each armrest. The four under each seat seem like a great location for the isolators. I also assume the corners of the platform need the isolators as well, so that would bring me up to twenty, plus whatever I need near the drivers. Maybe one between each pair of drivers?

Thanks for any input.

Mark

Lumagen Radiance Pro HDR Tone Mapping Guide: Click Here

Lumagen Radiance Pro Setup & Calibration Tips: Click Here

UHD-BD Backup & Playback Guidance Link

Last edited by giomania; 12-09-2019 at 06:06 AM.
post #4349 of 6257 Old 12-08-2019, 09:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Hey Guys, I was wondering for the isolators could I get away with using the 2" or even the 1.25" Isolators instead of the 2.5"

My Humble HT: Integra 40.3 Audyssey Calibrated / Denon 1930Ci SACD/DVD-A Player / Sony 3600 3D blu Ray / Behringer iNuke 3000DSP / Mach 5 IXL 18.4 Subwoofer / Optoma HD142x 3D REady 1080P DLP Projector / 92" 16:9 Manual screen / miniDSP HD2x4
post #4350 of 6257 Old 12-08-2019, 10:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post
Hi everyone,

I am finishing up the design for my BOSS platform, and it is going to be 96" wide by 38" deep. I will have a three-seat motorized Berkline theater chair setup on it. I am placing the six JBL GX1200 drivers behind the seat frames, in a cantilever style. Everything should fit nicely. I have allowed for 1" of space between each pair of drivers under each seat pair driver holes, and 1.5" between the driver holes and the rear of the platform. I am only using one sheet of plywood, and it will be in a basement theater with a concrete floor, heavy carpet padding, and thick carpet. Therefore, I will be using the carpet protectors. I started looking closer at the carpet protectors, and it looks like there might be some higher-quality variants at Amazon, so I am just wondering what the goal is with those.
The 1" space between the drivers, do you have that planned as between the holes? It looks that way from your drawing. If so you need a little more space. The outer diameter of the divers are 12 1/4", so if you cut the 11" holes and only have an inch gap between they're not going to fix. Bump it up to at least and 1.5".
giomania likes this.

#IHateNalleh
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page