The Hideaway Theater - Page 147 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5072Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4381 of 6599 Old 12-12-2019, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
trhought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 2,460
Mentioned: 174 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked: 1853
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post
I also struggle with figuring out the wiring and power requirements, but admit I have not read the ENTIRE thread. Are there any reference sites and/or calculators we can use to determine the optimum configuration based upon the drivers and amp?

Thanks.

Mark


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mark....Thanks. The wiring and power requirements can be confusing because electricity current flow isn't always intuitive. Once an understanding of current flow is learned, then the common formulas of P=I^2*R, P=I*E, etc. etc. can start to be used to understand what's happening in the circuit.

A good primer for understanding speaker wiring, impedance and current flow in speaker circuits can be found right here. Geoff does a great job of explaining how different speaker wiring combinations effect the overall impedance in the circuit and how that effects the current flow in each circuit and to each speaker in the circuit based on the different impedance values.

Hope this helps.
giomania likes this.
trhought is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4382 of 6599 Old 12-12-2019, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
trhought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 2,460
Mentioned: 174 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked: 1853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_0bvious View Post
Thank you, very much! I am very grateful for how much effort trhought and others have put into this thread. I never would have come up with the idea on my own -- and it is such a simple/cheap upgrade.

I started playing Diablo III this week (I know, a bit late to the party), and the tremors/shaking are so immersive. It blows me away.
Bringing joy to living rooms, dens and theaters around the world.....one BOSS at a time

Glad to hear you're enjoying your new BOSS. Santa came early this year
p3bham and Captain_0bvious like this.
trhought is offline  
post #4383 of 6599 Old 12-12-2019, 10:04 AM
Member
 
PakZX3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rochester Hills, MI
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_0bvious View Post
I just wanted to give a big thanks to trhought, and all the other folks who have contributed their experience to this thread. I saw this idea about a month ago, and instantly saw the genius of it! Thankfully, I didn't have to wait long for a Black Friday sale -- and picked up six of the 12" JBLs.

They are powered by 1 channel of a Sanway FP10k clone, wired at 6ohms, and EQd with a MiniDSP. (I'm a total numbnuts/novice, but slowly making progress with the tuning.)

My build is very simple: a mini-riser with the proscribed Hudson Hi-Fi isolators, two sheets of plywood -- cut to fit inside the footprint of our couch. I painted them to match the floor. Took about 12 hours total spread across three nights. (measuring, cutting, painting, installing wiring, and rough tune.)

It honestly feels like my couch is sitting on an earthquake. Movies, video games, and music are all measurably better!

Nice work! That is professional looking! Makes me want to put the finishing touches on mine now.
Captain_0bvious likes this.

My Cozy HT: Benq 2050HT ; Silver Ticket 115" 2.35 ; Full Marty Sub ; BOSS w/4 JBL's ; Definitive Technology Bookshelves 7 Channels ; iNuke 3000DSP ; HP Chromebox running Kodi w/Scopenox for CIH; Plex Media Server w/30 TB of media
PakZX3 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4384 of 6599 Old 12-12-2019, 10:27 AM
Newbie
 
TestType's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Iceland
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I have four JBL GX1200's on the way and I'm very excited to build a BOSS platform next month, possibly the first in Iceland

I have a few questions though. For over a year now I've been interested in buying the Aura Pro bass shakers. While I'm sure I will get way more TR out of BOSS, would it still be worth it for me to add the Auras as well to my setup, or would they be redundant with BOSS? I know people have been using Crowson transducers with BOSS, but they are way better and more expensive than the Aura's, hence my question.

Another thing, I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on ordering a NX3000. I won't be getting the DSP model as I will be buying a minidsp 2x4 HD to handle that, and the NX3000 is about 40% cheaper than the NX3000D in Europe. With that, am I missing anything by not getting the DSP amp other than power limiting?

My plan was to use one channel to power BOSS with 4 JBL's, with the other channel powering four Aura Pro's. I think the NX3000 should have sufficient power for that, please correct me if I'm wrong. What I am wondering though is if it has enough power on one channel to run 6 JBL's, in case I feel like adding more in the future?

Any responses would be greatly appreciated!
TestType is offline  
post #4385 of 6599 Old 12-12-2019, 11:39 AM
Senior Member
 
jbarteli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 394
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by trhought View Post
jbarteli.....Thanks. Since you have the Behringer with DSP, just keep the LPF for LFE set at 80Hz in your AVR. Then, the Behringer can be used to lower that LPF even more if desired. Most AVR's don't allow an LPF below 80Hz so that's where the Behringer can help if you find a lower LPF feels better.



If you like the 80Hz LPF, then there is no need to lower it any more and the Behringer LPF won't be needed. Since you don't have a recliner, I'd suggest experimenting with lower LPF settings in the Behringer to see if you like the feel on your butt better with lower settings. Since you're sitting upright, most of your weight and therefore TR will be on your butt which may be a bit overpowering with higher LPF settings.



Regarding the watts question...yes, 320 watts at 16 ohms is 4.5 amps which will keep your 3 JBL's happy.



Happy experimenting!
Ok, just got my first impressions.
it is a bit underwhelming? Maybe I was already spoiled with my Rythmik at VNF? I have set the behringer volume at 80% and the red limit sometimes goes on, the BOSS has trouble to add something to the Rythmik. Am I doing something wrong?
jbarteli is online now  
post #4386 of 6599 Old 12-12-2019, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lizrussspike's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parkview, IA
Posts: 3,852
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1564 Post(s)
Liked: 2419
Ditto @Captain_0bvious. I would not be enjoying the TR that I am if folks like @trhought that provide guidance to us on the way.
lizrussspike is offline  
post #4387 of 6599 Old 12-12-2019, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DesertDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,628
Mentioned: 171 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1156 Post(s)
Liked: 3054
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post
I also struggle with figuring out the wiring and power requirements, but admit I have not read the ENTIRE thread. Are there any reference sites and/or calculators we can use to determine the optimum configuration based upon the drivers and amp?
If you have any specific question on what you're trying to do or figure out ask away. A bunch of the guys on here can answer most questions or point you in the right direction.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarteli View Post
Ok, just got my first impressions.
it is a bit underwhelming? Maybe I was already spoiled with my Rythmik at VNF? I have set the behringer volume at 80% and the red limit sometimes goes on, the BOSS has trouble to add something to the Rythmik. Am I doing something wrong?
It sounds like something isn't right. The VNF is low tier compared to a BOSS in terms of TR. What do you have all of you DSP settings at? Have you double checked the wiring and that everything is connected? I had an issue with my new VNF speakers where the speakon connecter didn't fully lock into place an I wasn't getting everything that I should.

Do you have a miniDSP in the mix? If so, what are its crossover settings for the BOSS output? By default outputs 2 and 4 have a high pass filter at 1000 hz turned on. That'll kill your performance nicely.

#IHateNalleh
The struggle is real for Generation Xplain Digital to the Analog and Analog to the Digital.
Klipsch RF-7III, RC-64III
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
Sony 85X900F, Denon 8500, nVidia Shield, Apple TV
DesertDog is offline  
post #4388 of 6599 Old 12-12-2019, 12:07 PM
Newbie
 
TestType's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Iceland
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_0bvious View Post
I just wanted to give a big thanks to trhought, and all the other folks who have contributed their experience to this thread. I saw this idea about a month ago, and instantly saw the genius of it! Thankfully, I didn't have to wait long for a Black Friday sale -- and picked up six of the 12" JBLs.

They are powered by 1 channel of a Sanway FP10k clone, wired at 6ohms, and EQd with a MiniDSP. (I'm a total numbnuts/novice, but slowly making progress with the tuning.)

My build is very simple: a mini-riser with the proscribed Hudson Hi-Fi isolators, two sheets of plywood -- cut to fit inside the footprint of our couch. I painted them to match the floor. Took about 12 hours total spread across three nights. (measuring, cutting, painting, installing wiring, and rough tune.)

It honestly feels like my couch is sitting on an earthquake. Movies, video games, and music are all measurably better!
I gotta say, that looks absolutely great! Love the smooth edges, the color and how well it blends in. And I really dig the JBL logo you put on there as well, makes it look even more like an actual, polished product.
Captain_0bvious likes this.
TestType is offline  
post #4389 of 6599 Old 12-12-2019, 12:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Birmingham,Alabama
Posts: 462
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarteli View Post
Ok, just got my first impressions.
it is a bit underwhelming? Maybe I was already spoiled with my Rythmik at VNF? I have set the behringer volume at 80% and the red limit sometimes goes on, the BOSS has trouble to add something to the Rythmik. Am I doing something wrong?
I tend to agree with DesertDog above - something doesn't seem right with the setup. You should be getting MASSIVE TR. Like when I hooked my two JBL's up with a crappy Russound stereo amp at 70 wpc and turned it to 80% it quite literally made me nauseous. Made my teeth feel weird...

I would check the phase of your subs. Sometimes reversed phase works better apparently. Also, are you using the isolators? How wide and thick is your platform? Mine is only about 30" across yet is two layers of glued and screwed baltic birch 3/4" ply so extremely rigid. I believe that helps to deliver the vibrations to the seat since in any system a mounting surface that flexes will absorb vibration as it moves in sympathy. If the platform is unable to bend those vibrations have to go somewhere - in this case to your seat. Just spitballing here I have no idea of your setup or construction methods.

Roll Tide.
p3bham is offline  
post #4390 of 6599 Old 12-12-2019, 12:28 PM
Senior Member
 
jbarteli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 394
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
If you have any specific question on what you're trying to do or figure out ask away. A bunch of the guys on here can answer most questions or point you in the right direction.




It sounds like something isn't right. The VNF is low tier compared to a BOSS in terms of TR. What do you have all of you DSP settings at? Have you double checked the wiring and that everything is connected? I had an issue with my new VNF speakers where the speakon connecter didn't fully lock into place an I wasn't getting everything that I should.

Do you have a miniDSP in the mix? If so, what are its crossover settings for the BOSS output? By default outputs 2 and 4 have a high pass filter at 1000 hz turned on. That'll kill your performance nicely.

I checked the wiring and everything seem to be ok, all the woofers move. No I don't have a mini-dsp.

Here are my current settings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Setup.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	2652998   Click image for larger version

Name:	Setup2.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	2653000   Click image for larger version

Name:	Setup3.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	2653002   Click image for larger version

Name:	Setup4.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	2653004  
jbarteli is online now  
post #4391 of 6599 Old 12-12-2019, 12:37 PM
Senior Member
 
jbarteli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 394
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3bham View Post
I tend to agree with DesertDog above - something doesn't seem right with the setup. You should be getting MASSIVE TR. Like when I hooked my two JBL's up with a crappy Russound stereo amp at 70 wpc and turned it to 80% it quite literally made me nauseous. Made my teeth feel weird...

I would check the phase of your subs. Sometimes reversed phase works better apparently. Also, are you using the isolators? How wide and thick is your platform? Mine is only about 30" across yet is two layers of glued and screwed baltic birch 3/4" ply so extremely rigid. I believe that helps to deliver the vibrations to the seat since in any system a mounting surface that flexes will absorb vibration as it moves in sympathy. If the platform is unable to bend those vibrations have to go somewhere - in this case to your seat. Just spitballing here I have no idea of your setup or construction methods.

Here's some info about my build.


https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...l#post58916508


https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...l#post58930376
jbarteli is online now  
post #4392 of 6599 Old 12-12-2019, 12:52 PM
Senior Member
 
jbarteli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 394
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Changing fase helped alot and not setting the peak limiter also made things better.
jbarteli is online now  
post #4393 of 6599 Old 12-12-2019, 01:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Birmingham,Alabama
Posts: 462
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Hopefully TR will chime in as he's the BOSS godfather. I would be tempted to add a second layer of 3/4" plywood - though a lot of people have just used one layer and been fine. I assure you that you shouldn't be lacking in impact. He will be able to figure out what's going on.

Roll Tide.
p3bham is offline  
post #4394 of 6599 Old 12-12-2019, 01:34 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TestType View Post
I gotta say, that looks absolutely great! Love the smooth edges, the color and how well it blends in. And I really dig the JBL logo you put on there as well, makes it look even more like an actual, polished product.
Well, they included a sticker with each speaker, and I felt badly about throwing all of them away.

Besides those stickers are worth 2-3 more dB each, right?
Captain_0bvious is offline  
post #4395 of 6599 Old 12-12-2019, 01:48 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Trying new things

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestType View Post
I gotta say, that looks absolutely great! Love the smooth edges, the color and how well it blends in. And I really dig the JBL logo you put on there as well, makes it look even more like an actual, polished product.
By the way -- I should add: I have always been intimidated by using a router, and I don't know why. I inherited one from my grandfather recently, and decided to try it on the BOSS.

After about 2 minutes practicing on some scraps, I went to town on the BOSS. At most, it took me fifteen minutes to complete... And having that beveled edge really adds some polish to the project!
Captain_0bvious is offline  
post #4396 of 6599 Old 12-12-2019, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
trhought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 2,460
Mentioned: 174 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked: 1853
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarteli View Post
Ok, just got my first impressions.
it is a bit underwhelming? Maybe I was already spoiled with my Rythmik at VNF? I have set the behringer volume at 80% and the red limit sometimes goes on, the BOSS has trouble to add something to the Rythmik. Am I doing something wrong?
jbarteli.....Thanks for the details. Given everything you checked already, it sounds like it's a power or signal problem. Your design, build and resulting BOSS platform all look great.....I presume you have the 6 isolators underneath the platform like shown in your original drawing.

Your BOSS should deliver ample TR when powered properly. It seems like it's not getting enough power or perhaps one or more of the drivers isn't wired properly or out of phase.

To check the wiring, verify all 3 woofers are moving during your listening sessions. If any one of them isn't moving, check your wiring to that driver to make sure it's correct.

To check for phase, use a 9V battery and connect it's positive terminal to the positive speaker wire of the BOSS platform and then touch the negative terminal to the negative speaker wire of the BOSS platform. While touching the speaker wire to the negative terminal, observe each driver and whether it moves in or out. Observe every driver as you're touching the speaker wire to the negative terminal of the battery. They all should move the same direction. If you find 1 that is moving the opposite of the others, that means that one driver is wired out of phase.

If the wiring and phase all check out, then it's a power problem.

I'd suggest bypassing all the filters and power limit settings on the Behringer and just run your sub-out from your AVR directly into the Behringer. Set the LPF for the LFE in your AVR to 80Hz. This will ensure you're getting a full bandwidth signal into the Behringer.

Bypassing the Behringer DSP like this will ensure the signal will get amplified without any filters.

Set the gain on the Behringer at half-way and start listening to your favorite bass demo material that you're very familiar with. Listening at your normal main volume setting, slowly start increasing the gain on the Behringer until you start to feel lots of TR. The woofers will also start moving violently as you increase the gain on the Behringer. As you're increasing the Behringer gain, listen for any abnormal banging sounds during heavy bass activity during the demo scene. If you hear any abnormal sounds, back the gain down slightly and listen to that scene again. If you don't hear any unusual sounds, then try another one of your favorite bass demo scenes and listen to it for any unusual sounds. If there's unusual sounds with that bass demo scene, then back the gain down again slightly and listen again.

That should complete your initial BOSS setup and give you a good idea what it's capable of doing. After that, it's just a matter of experimenting with different settings in the Behringer to see what improvements each setting make while listening to your favorite demo material.

Let us know if any other questions come up as you're checking everything.

Hope this helps.
trhought is offline  
post #4397 of 6599 Old 12-12-2019, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
trhought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 2,460
Mentioned: 174 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked: 1853
Quote:
Originally Posted by TestType View Post
I have four JBL GX1200's on the way and I'm very excited to build a BOSS platform next month, possibly the first in Iceland

I have a few questions though. For over a year now I've been interested in buying the Aura Pro bass shakers. While I'm sure I will get way more TR out of BOSS, would it still be worth it for me to add the Auras as well to my setup, or would they be redundant with BOSS? I know people have been using Crowson transducers with BOSS, but they are way better and more expensive than the Aura's, hence my question.

Another thing, I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on ordering a NX3000. I won't be getting the DSP model as I will be buying a minidsp 2x4 HD to handle that, and the NX3000 is about 40% cheaper than the NX3000D in Europe. With that, am I missing anything by not getting the DSP amp other than power limiting?

My plan was to use one channel to power BOSS with 4 JBL's, with the other channel powering four Aura Pro's. I think the NX3000 should have sufficient power for that, please correct me if I'm wrong. What I am wondering though is if it has enough power on one channel to run 6 JBL's, in case I feel like adding more in the future?

Any responses would be greatly appreciated!
TestType.....welcome aboard!

the NX3000 will be great with your 4 JBL's on one channel leaving the other channel open for other projects such as the Aura's. Powering 6 of them on one channel will limit the power to 70 watts for each JBL which is slightly less than the 80 watts needed to reach full potential but they will still deliver ample TR with 70 watts. Having said that, if you plan to use 6 drivers, your platform will likely have to be made more rigid because of the additional holes being cut in the plywood for them.

The non-DSP version will be fine if you don't want to spend the high premium in Iceland for the DSP model. At that premium price for the Behringer DSP, the mini-DSP may be a less expensive option down the road if you ever think you'll want to add DSP later.

Regarding the Auras, they can be added later to your BOSS platform to give additional TR in a certain frequency range...I'm not sure what frequency range the Auras will provide, but they will definitely add some TR somewhere in the LFE range. The BOSS platform by itself will deliver natural TR from about 3Hz all the way up to 120Hz in a linear fashion without any peaky behavior. The Auras will be peaky in behavior, but you'll probably find you'll like the added TR they provide especially if you don't have any DSP to boost the BOSS power in certain areas that you like best.

Hope some of this feedback helps.
trhought is offline  
post #4398 of 6599 Old 12-12-2019, 04:49 PM
Newbie
 
TestType's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Iceland
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by trhought View Post
TestType.....welcome aboard!

the NX3000 will be great with your 4 JBL's on one channel leaving the other channel open for other projects such as the Aura's. Powering 6 of them on one channel will limit the power to 70 watts for each JBL which is slightly less than the 80 watts needed to reach full potential but they will still deliver ample TR with 70 watts. Having said that, if you plan to use 6 drivers, your platform will likely have to be made more rigid because of the additional holes being cut in the plywood for them.

The non-DSP version will be fine if you don't want to spend the high premium in Iceland for the DSP model. At that premium price for the Behringer DSP, the mini-DSP may be a less expensive option down the road if you ever think you'll want to add DSP later.

Regarding the Auras, they can be added later to your BOSS platform to give additional TR in a certain frequency range...I'm not sure what frequency range the Auras will provide, but they will definitely add some TR somewhere in the LFE range. The BOSS platform by itself will deliver natural TR from about 3Hz all the way up to 120Hz in a linear fashion without any peaky behavior. The Auras will be peaky in behavior, but you'll probably find you'll like the added TR they provide especially if you don't have any DSP to boost the BOSS power in certain areas that you like best.

Hope some of this feedback helps.
That helps a lot, thank you trhought!
I'll then go ahead and order the NX3000 when I think I have everything I want to order. It's a bit tricky putting this all together in Iceland as most everything I need for it is not available here and I need to order it online from several different websites in different countries, and per package customs fees are quite steep here so I'm trying to order in as few shipments as possible. Thankfully I could take advantage of Best Buy's Black Friday offer on the JBL's via a freight forwarding service. I'm definitely buying a minidsp and a calibration mic so I can EQ my subwoofer, use BEQ for movies and have more control over BOSS and the Aura's if I get them.

I'm sure 4 woofers will be more than enough for my current couch, so it's doubtful I'll go to 6 anytime soon. I don't think I could even fit more than 4 under it. But possibly if I were to get a different one some time.

The Aura's can apparently be felt down to almost 10hz, but not with great force. I think they peak around 30hz. Getting a bit unsure if I will really benefit from them now that I'm putting together a BOSS platform. My plan was to order them and the minidsp + mic from Parts-Express, as that would cost me the least amount of money in shipping and customs fees, so if I were to buy them separately at a later date it would cost me a lot more. So I'll have to work out if I think it's worth it for me to try out. Not even sure where to put them in the couch with space the woofers will take. Not sure if it's a good idea to mount them directly to the platform. One thing they can add though is TR to my ottoman.

But one thing is for sure, I can't wait to put the BOSS together. I've loved TR at the cinema all my life, and while just this year I've finally got a sub that can shake my couch at home, I live in an apartment and don't want to bother the neighbors with it. Thanks a lot trhought for sharing this great idea of yours with all of us!
TestType is offline  
post #4399 of 6599 Old 12-12-2019, 06:27 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by TestType View Post
. Thankfully I could take advantage of Best Buy's Black Friday offer on the JBL's via a freight forwarding service.

Which service? I looked at doing this and the cost to send them to NZ was 3 x the cost of the JBLs I'm keen to do this, but it's big $$$ way down here to get the various components.

Sony XBR-65A9F, Sony UBP-X700, Denon AVR-890 (cooled by AC Infinity AIRCOM T10), Apple TV 4K, HDFury Vertex, B&W 600 series & LM1s in 7.1 config, Harmony Elite, Hubitat Home Automation, Philips Hue lights
avsngaiouser is offline  
post #4400 of 6599 Old 12-12-2019, 08:39 PM
Member
 
kennethav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by trhought View Post
kennethav.....Thanks for the details on your BOSS setup. I just looked at the manual for your amplifier. Connect your sub2 out from your main AVR to the CD input of the old JVC AVR. You'll need an RCA Y-adapter to split that mono sub signal from your main AVR into 2 mono signals going into the left and right channels of the CD input on the JVC.
Well, thanks again Tim! Finished wiring up the couch, and got my first taste of the BOSS tonight. Of course, it was awesome! I've certainly never had this much TR. At 80%, the BOSS was overwhelming... at 50% it was just about perfect and not too distracting. I might try a DSP at some point to fine tune it, but for now I'm thrilled.

Next I'll move on to the single seats, including the drafting stools. I'll leave a comment when I'm done with those, since I think there aren't many examples of that on this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestType View Post
The Aura's can apparently be felt down to almost 10hz, but not with great force. I think they peak around 30hz. Getting a bit unsure if I will really benefit from them now that I'm putting together a BOSS platform. My plan was to order them and the minidsp + mic from Parts-Express, as that would cost me the least amount of money in shipping and customs fees, so if I were to buy them separately at a later date it would cost me a lot more. So I'll have to work out if I think it's worth it for me to try out. Not even sure where to put them in the couch with space the woofers will take. Not sure if it's a good idea to mount them directly to the platform. One thing they can add though is TR to my ottoman.
I'll comment on this briefly, since I just replaced my auras with BOSS. I tested 2 aura's vs 2 JBL's (before I installed the 3rd JBL), using the same platform, and the difference was quite substantial. The JBLs were much more powerful, performed much better when my couch was reclined, and seem to provide different sensations at different frequencies. They made the auras seem like a one-trick pony. That said, the auras are cheaper, simpler to install, and do get you part of the way there. Given a choice, I wouldn't bother with aura's only, but they are a fun introduction to TR.
OJ Bartley likes this.
kennethav is offline  
post #4401 of 6599 Old 12-12-2019, 11:28 PM
Senior Member
 
jbarteli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 394
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by trhought View Post
jbarteli.....Thanks for the details. Given everything you checked already, it sounds like it's a power or signal problem. Your design, build and resulting BOSS platform all look great.....I presume you have the 6 isolators underneath the platform like shown in your original drawing.



Your BOSS should deliver ample TR when powered properly. It seems like it's not getting enough power or perhaps one or more of the drivers isn't wired properly or out of phase.



To check the wiring, verify all 3 woofers are moving during your listening sessions. If any one of them isn't moving, check your wiring to that driver to make sure it's correct.



To check for phase, use a 9V battery and connect it's positive terminal to the positive speaker wire of the BOSS platform and then touch the negative terminal to the negative speaker wire of the BOSS platform. While touching the speaker wire to the negative terminal, observe each driver and whether it moves in or out. Observe every driver as you're touching the speaker wire to the negative terminal of the battery. They all should move the same direction. If you find 1 that is moving the opposite of the others, that means that one driver is wired out of phase.



If the wiring and phase all check out, then it's a power problem.



I'd suggest bypassing all the filters and power limit settings on the Behringer and just run your sub-out from your AVR directly into the Behringer. Set the LPF for the LFE in your AVR to 80Hz. This will ensure you're getting a full bandwidth signal into the Behringer.



Bypassing the Behringer DSP like this will ensure the signal will get amplified without any filters.



Set the gain on the Behringer at half-way and start listening to your favorite bass demo material that you're very familiar with. Listening at your normal main volume setting, slowly start increasing the gain on the Behringer until you start to feel lots of TR. The woofers will also start moving violently as you increase the gain on the Behringer. As you're increasing the Behringer gain, listen for any abnormal banging sounds during heavy bass activity during the demo scene. If you hear any abnormal sounds, back the gain down slightly and listen to that scene again. If you don't hear any unusual sounds, then try another one of your favorite bass demo scenes and listen to it for any unusual sounds. If there's unusual sounds with that bass demo scene, then back the gain down again slightly and listen again.



That should complete your initial BOSS setup and give you a good idea what it's capable of doing. After that, it's just a matter of experimenting with different settings in the Behringer to see what improvements each setting make while listening to your favorite demo material.



Let us know if any other questions come up as you're checking everything.



Hope this helps.
trthought let me first thank for your detailed responses to everybody's questions!! Much...... much appreciated.

For me its not so easy to write long detailed text.
I have dyslexsia and English is not my first language.


I will follow your steps.

I have to say that with the phase at 180 and no limiter it sounded/felt much better!!

I now have the volume at 75% I think, there is some serious movement in my couch with demo materials! Is it normal that at the most bass parts the behringer hits clip en limit?

Holy moly!! The shooting in 13 hours, thats some serious TR!!

Any more good demo's for the BOSS?
p3bham likes this.
jbarteli is online now  
post #4402 of 6599 Old 12-12-2019, 11:54 PM
Newbie
 
TestType's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Iceland
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsngaiouser View Post
Which service? I looked at doing this and the cost to send them to NZ was 3 x the cost of the JBLs I'm keen to do this, but it's big $$$ way down here to get the various components.
I used ShopUSA. I've used them a couple of times before, my HSU VTF2-MK5 subwoofer was also forwarded by them. For certain large items their shipping is very cheap as they ship via ocean instead of air if the size is over a certain limit. They don't charge by the weight nor size, unless the item is very large (then they calculate volume only), which makes them very economical for large or heavy items. At least that's how it works when they ship to Iceland, they do have a Iceland specific website and a person here working for them, so I can't say for sure how it works on their main website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethav View Post
I'll comment on this briefly, since I just replaced my auras with BOSS. I tested 2 aura's vs 2 JBL's (before I installed the 3rd JBL), using the same platform, and the difference was quite substantial. The JBLs were much more powerful, performed much better when my couch was reclined, and seem to provide different sensations at different frequencies. They made the auras seem like a one-trick pony. That said, the auras are cheaper, simpler to install, and do get you part of the way there. Given a choice, I wouldn't bother with aura's only, but they are a fun introduction to TR.
Thanks for the comment, much appreciated!
I am confident that BOSS is way better and more powerful in every way than the Aura's. What I'm wondering though is if they can complement each other, if there is anything gained by having both. Or if I should just save my money (and time) and stick with BOSS only.

It sounds like you stopped using your Aura's, did you try it with BOSS before retiring them?
TestType is offline  
post #4403 of 6599 Old 12-13-2019, 12:44 AM
Senior Member
 
jbarteli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 394
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Between 30 and 40hz I corrected a bump with Dirac, is it wise to correct this back with the DSP of the behringer for the BOSS? Is it possible to measure the response of the BOSS?
jbarteli is online now  
post #4404 of 6599 Old 12-13-2019, 02:18 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Geraldton - 250miles from Perth Western Australia
Posts: 832
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsngaiouser View Post
Which service? I looked at doing this and the cost to send them to NZ was 3 x the cost of the JBLs I'm keen to do this, but it's big $$$ way down here to get the various components.

Yep thats why I scoured gumtree and ebay to find secondhand subs that were actually affordable.


Ended up with Clarion XW1500 car subs for $250 for 3 - they are about equivalent to 1 1/2 JBLs - so 4 1/2 JBLs for less than $60 each
niterida is offline  
post #4405 of 6599 Old 12-13-2019, 07:18 AM
Member
 
FLViking2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Hey guys. I have my behringer nx3000d from the BOSS plugged into my denon receiver using an xlr to single rca. The single rca is plugged into a y-splitter rca along with one of my dual subs’ rcas. The y-splitter goes into one of the two sub channels in the receiver. There is a noticeable hum that is generated. If I turn off the sub the hum is gone. Also, if unplug the xlr from the amp the hum is gone. I’m thinking there is a ground loop that is created by the amp and sub rcas going to the y splitter. I tried to change the y splitter for a higher quality one and same hum is still present. Should a purchase a ground loop isolator to fix the issue or would this cause sound loss problems (like attached)? Is there another way I should be wiring the amp into the receiver? The receiver has two sub channels which are being used by my dual subs with audyssey xt32
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F73AC746-4012-42F6-A7E4-694B7FC9D1BB_1576250235545.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	2653264  
FLViking2011 is offline  
post #4406 of 6599 Old 12-13-2019, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
LastButNotLeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 08077
Posts: 11,024
Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3045 Post(s)
Liked: 2859
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarteli View Post
Any more good demo's for the BOSS?
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...read-bass.html
LastButNotLeast is offline  
post #4407 of 6599 Old 12-13-2019, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
LastButNotLeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 08077
Posts: 11,024
Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3045 Post(s)
Liked: 2859
Quote:
Originally Posted by TestType View Post
I am confident that BOSS is way better and more powerful in every way than the Aura's. What I'm wondering though is if they can complement each other, if there is anything gained by having both. Or if I should just save my money (and time) and stick with BOSS only.
Obviously, you haven't met @Nalleh .
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/29-wh...l#post41323201
Michael
DesertDog and Nalleh like this.
LastButNotLeast is offline  
post #4408 of 6599 Old 12-13-2019, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
LastButNotLeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 08077
Posts: 11,024
Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3045 Post(s)
Liked: 2859
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarteli View Post
Is it possible to measure the response of the BOSS?
There is now.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...r-viberry.html
Michael
LastButNotLeast is offline  
post #4409 of 6599 Old 12-13-2019, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
LastButNotLeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 08077
Posts: 11,024
Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3045 Post(s)
Liked: 2859
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLViking2011 View Post
I’m thinking there is a ground loop that is created by the amp and sub rcas going to the y splitter.
Tracking down ground loops can be a challenge. First, make sure the outlets are actually grounded (outlet testers are cheap and very worthwhile).
Try running a wire from a metal screw on the amp to the screw holding the outlet cover in place.
Sometimes it is a bad cable, so it was a good idea to check that. You might want to check the others.
Michael
LastButNotLeast is offline  
post #4410 of 6599 Old 12-13-2019, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DesertDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,628
Mentioned: 171 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1156 Post(s)
Liked: 3054
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
DO NOT MEET @Nalleh ! You have been warned. That's a rabbit hole you don't want to go down. All of us that have fallen into it now make the Mad Hatter look sane.


Does anyone know if it's possible to run Audyssey but not have it apply to a sub output? Since I'm recalibrating everything for the new gear I was thinking of plugging my BOSS into the 2nd output on my AVR and I'd like to have that output give just a raw signal with no room correction. I'm going to ask in the 8500 thread too but figured I'd check in here too.
Nalleh likes this.

#IHateNalleh
The struggle is real for Generation Xplain Digital to the Analog and Analog to the Digital.
Klipsch RF-7III, RC-64III
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
Sony 85X900F, Denon 8500, nVidia Shield, Apple TV
DesertDog is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off