The Hideaway Theater - Page 151 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5085Likes

post #4501 of 6625 Old 12-18-2019, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 659 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4331 Post(s)
Liked: 4170
The Hideaway Theater

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
^^ Can you try to describe the differences? I have been using Butterworth type. Thanks.

My description wont do you any good because your experience with your setup will be night and day different than mine. Since we have different chairs and more importantly different styles of BOSS Implementation. You’ll have to experiment on your own.

For my setup:
The higher frequencies give my direct mount setup too much “buzz” feel, and those various slope and type filters are all clearly different shades of feel.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
208, 1" tweeters | 52, 5" woofers | 8, 18" subwoofers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4502 of 6625 Old 12-18-2019, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3007 Post(s)
Liked: 3092
^^Ok, I will give it a try. I have been using 30Hz LP BW filter along with 2 negative HS filters plus DynEQ on the 3000D. Thanks.
post #4503 of 6625 Old 12-18-2019, 10:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Both rows of BOSS complete! Very happy with the result. As promised, attached are some shots of my single-seat second-row, with a tall chair on a mini-riser. In the 2nd picture, you can see I've covered it all with felt, which gives it a nice clean look, though I wonder if it'll affect the sub at all.

Now on to learn about BEQ!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0681.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	2655924   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0685.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	798.9 KB
ID:	2655926  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4504 of 6625 Old 12-18-2019, 10:34 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Anyone else sometimes have the feeling there subwoofer is a little obsolete with the BOSS?
post #4505 of 6625 Old 12-19-2019, 04:14 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi All,

What an absolutely fantastic thread and much kudos to @trhought and others for giving us all the knowledge they derived experimenting with their BOSS builds.
Hi Tim.

I have come across the Hideaway Theater thread from the Crowson actuator thread and this is by far and away a more wallet friendly entry point into low frequency TR.

I have read through quite a bit of the thread and have confused myself with all the in depth analysis various bass enthusiasts like @Nalleh , @SBuger , @carp and others have done. So I thought I would reach out to you for advice.

First a little background. I want to build a mini riser in our living room home cinema. My wife is very tolerant of my addiction but to keep her on side it should basically disappear as much as possible under our 4 seat sofa. The base of the sofa is 8' by 3' with plenty of space for the drivers. The sofa has six large wooden feet (1 in each corner and 1 middle front and 1 middle rear) that are 12" long by 6" wide and 2" high. So in terms of the build my thought process is as follows

Make the platform the same size as the base of the sofa. As it has been emphasised that the key factors for good results are the rigidity of the mini riser board and the quality of the isolators, my thought is to use two 3/4" sheets of plywood glued and screwed together to make the board as rigid as I can and have 4 drivers.

Now to the questions

1) In the drawing in post 29 is shown an enlarged drawing of where the sofa arm and the sofa foot rest on the 3/4" plywood. Then under the plywood is the isolator and the floor. The added height of the BOSS in the diagram is 3/4" + 1". In my case with the two sheets glued together the total height of riser plus isolator will be (3/4" x 2) + 1" =2.5".

At this point I have three options

a) Place existing sofa with feet onto riser platform with isos beneath. Overall height of sofa from floor will increase 2.5"

b) Remove 2" high feet from sofa and use the existing threaded screw holes where those feet attach to the sofa to rigidly screw the boss board to the sofa. Total increase of sofa height from original now only 1/2" - more WAF

However after reading post 2079 I wondering if this will compromise performance?

"3. Drivers mounted directly to the chairs/couch....BOSS experience will be about the same as 2 but not as much TR from the far field subs and nearfield subs since the BOSS platform surface area tends to be the smallest in this configuration."

c) Remove 2" high feet from sofa and place sofa onto boss board without securing the sofa and board together. Total increase of sofa height from original again 1/2" -again more WAF

2) Having looked at other builds subwoofer placement seems to vary from a central position to a more rearward position. Some of this will be due to the space available under seating but I seem to be seeing a trend toward rearward placement if possible. Is my assumption correct?

For example @tvuong and his lovely build here

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attac...2&d=1552118664

I am assuming the rearward position is to do with having the drivers under the trunk of the seated person rather than under the legs. Due to having plenty of room under the sofa I can put my drivers as far forward or back as you guys suggest as long as they remain under the sofa.

I also have room for four more drivers if I place the first row of drivers toward the rear of the panel with a second row in front of them so that there will be two drivers under each seat. Will I gain anything by adding four more? Or will I lose out by weakening the overall structure of the board, introducing more flexing, and so reducing the total TR produced by the BOSS?

3) In post 1741 are listed the speaker parameters to focus on for a BOSS device. I am in the UK and have access to the following JBL drivers

GT-X1200: Freq response 23Hz-450Hz, Mms 179, Xmax 12.1mm Best price currently £67.99
S2-1224 : Freq response 25Hz-175Hz, Mms 154, Xmax 10.25mm Best price currently £67.99
GT5-12: Freq response 27Hz-450Hz, Mms 223, Xmax 14.2mm Best price currently £49.99

Is the GT5-12 the better driver and the cheaper price is a bonus? Or is the slightly higher frequency response at the low end more of a disadvantage than the bigger Xmax and Mms?

Sorry for the long post and all the questions and thanks in advance for your help. Also if you have any more thoughts or suggestions for me I would appreciate them greatly.

X
post #4506 of 6625 Old 12-19-2019, 06:48 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I had a major brain fart while marking my rear mini riser for the holes last night. Unfortunately I didn't catch it until after I cut them out My middle driver is in the correct spot but I then proceeded to split the difference between the middle of the board and the end for marking my two side drivers which did not allocate for the width of the middle seat. So irritated with myself. I did some rough measurements and it appears it would still fit and not have any clearance issues with the seats themselves since I was already placing them behind in a cantilevered config but as is now the two end seats in the back row would not have the drivers perfectly centered. How big of a deal is this? If the answer is none I will probably let it go but if you can notice or feel a difference I will probably bite the bullet and redo it. What do you guys think from personal experience with the BOSS?

On a brighter note, the funky shape for my curved front row came out well. These pictures are showing the bottom side which shows all the screws. I went with one 3/4 and one 1/2 sheet just for rigidity. I also am sinking the drivers 1/2 to create more clearance below the riser. I will experiment with not using carpet coasters at first. My carpet isn't berber but it also isn't super thick so not sure if I will need them or not and wanted to give the driver as much room to breath as possible.

edit - I guess I don't know how to embed photos. Clicked share in my google photos and copied link into insert image box...seems like that should work. Images added as thumbnail attachments.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191218_221434.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	662.1 KB
ID:	2656028   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191218_233059.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	947.3 KB
ID:	2656030  

DIY Khanspire mains, In-Khan-Neato surrounds, RSL 34E Atmos, 8x AE IB15 array
Denon x6500, Emotiva XPA-3, NX6000, MiniDSP 2x4HD
JVC RS2000

Last edited by BlackHawk2383; 12-19-2019 at 06:57 AM.
post #4507 of 6625 Old 12-19-2019, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Quoted: 1457 Post(s)
Liked: 2352
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethav View Post
Both rows of BOSS complete! Very happy with the result. As promised, attached are some shots of my single-seat second-row, with a tall chair on a mini-riser. In the 2nd picture, you can see I've covered it all with felt, which gives it a nice clean look, though I wonder if it'll affect the sub at all.

This makes me smile! A BOSS mini riser for a bar stool? What's next, BOSS tub for when you want a little sub action while in the tub, BOSS kitchen mats for when the dishes gotta get done but you don't want to miss out on the fun, BOSS treadmill for when you gotta get in a workout but you want it to be tactile, BOSS Bed, well, I will leave that part unsaid....
trhought and p3bham like this.
post #4508 of 6625 Old 12-19-2019, 07:32 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyrric View Post
"3. Drivers mounted directly to the chairs/couch....BOSS experience will be about the same as 2 but not as much TR from the far field subs and nearfield subs since the BOSS platform surface area tends to be the smallest in this configuration."

c) Remove 2" high feet from sofa and place sofa onto boss board without securing the sofa and board together. Total increase of sofa height from original again 1/2" -again more WAF

2) Having looked at other builds subwoofer placement seems to vary from a central position to a more rearward position. Some of this will be due to the space available under seating but I seem to be seeing a trend toward rearward placement if possible. Is my assumption correct?

For example @tvuong and his lovely build here

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attac...2&d=1552118664

I am assuming the rearward position is to do with having the drivers under the trunk of the seated person rather than under the legs. Due to having plenty of room under the sofa I can put my drivers as far forward or back as you guys suggest as long as they remain under the sofa.

I also have room for four more drivers if I place the first row of drivers toward the rear of the panel with a second row in front of them so that there will be two drivers under each seat. Will I gain anything by adding four more? Or will I lose out by weakening the overall structure of the board, introducing more flexing, and so reducing the total TR produced by the BOSS?

X
I can't speak for others, but I left the feet on my chair and just screwed a platform comprised of two glued and screwed 3/4" baltic birch plywood panels together. I then used the rubber isolators underneath the wooden feet of my chair. The TR is pretty insane. But it is so realistic and blends incredibly well despite not using any kind of DSP - just the sub out on my receiver. For WAF it's hard to beat hidden within the furniture. As to the placement I can't see it having too much of an effect - I suspect there's some but the vibrations are such through the whole frame of the chair I tend to think it wouldn't be very noticeable in any case. I had to adjust mine due to springs that left very little room underneath the seat - and mine are nearly all the way at the back of the chair - which works out to essentially right under my butt. Drivers are the JBL GX1200 getting 70 wpc from a cheap Russound stereo amp I had lying around.

Roll Tide.
post #4509 of 6625 Old 12-19-2019, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have a couch that is right at 9ft wide and finding plywood that long is proving to be difficult and expensive. My couch is made up of 3 separate chairs (metal frames) that link together with pins in slanted grooves and there is some movement between each seat so I was wondering if making three separate platforms (1 driver on each) would be doable. My concerns is that the load difference on the platforms when different people sit in each seat might have some ill effects. I realize I could overlap 2 pieces of plywood and make it longer but I was trying to keep my chairs as low as possible to keep it as stealth as possible (WAF).

Last edited by gtoboss; 12-19-2019 at 08:26 AM.
post #4510 of 6625 Old 12-19-2019, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Pardon the simple picture, but I figured I should float this out there before I start chopping up wood.

I need my mini-BOSS and couch to slide forwards and backwards, allowing a trundle bed to slide out from under the riser.

Any thoughts on this approach:

The feet of my HTMarket seats will be directly above 2.5” iso’s, which in turn will be directly above 3/4” or 1” wood on rollers.
post #4511 of 6625 Old 12-19-2019, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 171 Post(s)
Quoted: 1156 Post(s)
Liked: 3059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyrric View Post
Hi All,
b) Remove 2" high feet from sofa and use the existing threaded screw holes where those feet attach to the sofa to rigidly screw the boss board to the sofa. Total increase of sofa height from original now only 1/2" - more WAF
I'd probably go with this option assuming you have enough room under the couch to accommodate the driver height. You didn't mention what the underside looks like for clearance. Doing so will probably give you some SPL from the BOSS. So you might need to play with your room's bass EQ after adding it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawk2383 View Post
I had a major brain fart while marking my rear mini riser for the holes last night. Unfortunately I didn't catch it until after I cut them out My middle driver is in the correct spot but I then proceeded to split the difference between the middle of the board and the end for marking my two side drivers which did not allocate for the width of the middle seat. So irritated with myself. I did some rough measurements and it appears it would still fit and not have any clearance issues with the seats themselves since I was already placing them behind in a cantilevered config but as is now the two end seats in the back row would not have the drivers perfectly centered. How big of a deal is this? If the answer is none I will probably let it go but if you can notice or feel a difference I will probably bite the bullet and redo it. What do you guys think from personal experience with the BOSS?

On a brighter note, the funky shape for my curved front row came out well. These pictures are showing the bottom side which shows all the screws. I went with one 3/4 and one 1/2 sheet just for rigidity. I also am sinking the drivers 1/2 to create more clearance below the riser. I will experiment with not using carpet coasters at first. My carpet isn't berber but it also isn't super thick so not sure if I will need them or not and wanted to give the driver as much room to breath as possible.
You're fine with them cut that way as long they're not interfering with one of the seating legs and have clearance in your seats. The curve you cut came out nice. It looks good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtoboss View Post
I have a couch that is right at 9ft wide and finding plywood that long is proving to be difficult and expensive. My couch is made up of 3 separate chairs (metal frames) that link together with pins in slanted grooves and there is some movement between each seat so I was wondering if making three separate platforms (1 driver on each) would be doable. My concerns is that the load difference on the platforms when different people sit in each seat might have some ill effects. I realize I could overlap 2 pieces of plywood and make it longer but I was trying to keep my chairs as low as possible to keep it as stealth as possible (WAF).
Take a look at doing something like I did with mine (link in sig). My couch is about 8.5' wide so I did two 4' wide pieces of plywood attached onto a frame made from 1x4 boards. there there's a few inch gap in the center. It works really well.

#IHateNalleh
The struggle is real for Generation Xplain Digital to the Analog and Analog to the Digital.
Klipsch RF-7III, RC-64III
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
Sony 85X900F, Denon 8500, nVidia Shield, Apple TV
post #4512 of 6625 Old 12-19-2019, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarteli View Post
Anyone else sometimes have the feeling there subwoofer is a little obsolete with the BOSS?
Haha.. Yes you are correct..

If not obselete..,, they bring very less addition now.

Afcoarse with boss switched off it now feels empty..
But with subs off I can still manage 😜😜
post #4513 of 6625 Old 12-19-2019, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 525
Quote:
I wouldn't go that far... Using my miniDSP I switched off my subs one at a time until just the BOSS was playing. It was an odd sensation getting some TR, but no real bass. Could I possibly go to 1 sub + the BOSS - probably, but who would want to? If you had one small 8 or 10" sub close by or some pretty capable mains it might be interesting. I mentioned some time ago that I've reduced my MV by an average of 4 dB since I'm no longer trying to have my subs produce TR, so the BOSS has substantial value to the longevity of your subs, your hearing, or your marriage.
m0j0 likes this.
post #4514 of 6625 Old 12-19-2019, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Finished my mini-Boss set-up last night which is 2 platforms. Each platform supports a loveseat and has 2 subs. ie. 2 platforms, 2 loveseats, 4 JBL's, 4 seats. I set up three profiles to limit a 6000dsp to different outputs (80W, 90W, and 100W limited per sub). Would 90W or 100W be safe or should I keep it limited to 80W and be happy? I did a quick demo with Thor Ragnarok and everytning was moving pretty good with no audible distortion. I had it turned up enough to hit the limit on a few occasions. So I'm also wondering how safe it is to be hitting the 80W limiter?
post #4515 of 6625 Old 12-19-2019, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 174 Post(s)
Quoted: 1284 Post(s)
Liked: 1859
Quote:
Originally Posted by automata21 View Post
Just sharing snaps of my setup :
automata21....Looks awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Welcome to the BOSS family!
post #4516 of 6625 Old 12-19-2019, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBF View Post
Just finished my build. The room is small 11x11x8 and my two rythmik l12 do an awesome job but now with the addition of this BOSS I feel it is more or less complete. Wife, neighbour and grandparents were super impressed. Thanks to all pioneers in this forum. Special thanks to xpertpredator who walked me though the setup.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
ZBF....Great looking BOSS build. Love the lighting effects. Theater looks great.

Kudos to xpertpredator for hooking you up

Welcome to the BOSS family.
post #4517 of 6625 Old 12-19-2019, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethav View Post

Looks great kennethav. Thanks for sharing your Phase 2 BOSS platforms. Clever use of just 2 L-shaped stops to keep those stools in place. Looks great!

The felt won't effect the BOSS performance. As long as the the drivers can breath easily the experience will be great.

Enjoy
post #4518 of 6625 Old 12-19-2019, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawk2383 View Post

edit - I guess I don't know how to embed photos. Clicked share in my google photos and copied link into insert image box...seems like that should work. Images added as thumbnail attachments.
Looks very professional BlackHawk! Nicely done. Because your BOSS platform is very rigid, the placement of the drivers relative to the center of the chairs is less important. The bigger factor affecting BOSS performance is the location of the drivers relative to the back legs of the furniture. You have those very close already so your BOSS experience is going to be great!

Looking forward to learning about your first impressions when you get your BOSS fired up.
post #4519 of 6625 Old 12-19-2019, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtoboss View Post
gtoboss.....welcome aboard! Another fellow Louisianan!

Larger platforms are certainly a challenge from a rigidity perspective. And, as you discovered, custom plywood can be expensive.

For simplicity, separate platforms under each furniture piece will work great! The only caveat is to keep the pieces free from each other. Not sure if you can "bypass" connecting them with those pins in slanted grooves....maybe remove the pins if they can be removed easily.

If the connections can't be "bypassed", your concerns of uneven response from one seat to another with separate platforms underneath is real. The experience won't be as good. If the pieces remain connected together, the best path forward would be a larger platform constructed very rigidly so it moves up and down as one piece providing a great BOSS experience for anything on top of it.

Hope this helps.
post #4520 of 6625 Old 12-19-2019, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinHeadroom View Post
Pardon the simple picture, but I figured I should float this out there before I start chopping up wood.

I need my mini-BOSS and couch to slide forwards and backwards, allowing a trundle bed to slide out from under the riser.

Any thoughts on this approach:

The feet of my HTMarket seats will be directly above 2.5” iso’s, which in turn will be directly above 3/4” or 1” wood on rollers.
MinHeadroom.....clever design. Looks great. As long as those rubber wheels are pretty rigid, the BOSS functionality won't be compromised. I'd presume they're pretty rigid if anything like the ones I've seen in hardware stores. I'm thinking it's probably hard to make an indention in the rubber wheels with a fingernail. If so, your design looks awesome!
MinHeadroom likes this.
post #4521 of 6625 Old 12-19-2019, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by trhought View Post
MinHeadroom.....clever design. Looks great. As long as those rubber wheels are pretty rigid, the BOSS functionality won't be compromised. I'd presume they're pretty rigid if anything like the ones I've seen in hardware stores. I'm thinking it's probably hard to make an indention in the rubber wheels with a fingernail. If so, your design looks awesome!

Thank you so much, and stay tuned!

MinHeadroom
trhought likes this.
post #4522 of 6625 Old 12-19-2019, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by varun432 View Post
Haha.. Yes you are correct..

If not obselete..,, they bring very less addition now.

Afcoarse with boss switched off it now feels empty..
But with subs off I can still manage 😜😜
I've been waiting for some folks to start making this discovery for themselves.

In no uncertain terms, if you have a recliner and are fully reclined with an LPF of 80Hz....the pressure sensation on your whole body is as good as any experience I've ever had. Except for maybe 1 or 2 car audio setups back in the day that were unbelievably over the top in terms of cabin pressure (and hearing damage).

If you're using an LPF below 80Hz then you're losing some LFE content since most AVR's are bass managed around 80Hz. With this bass management setting in the AVR, that sub 80Hz information from the bed level channels are being passed over to the sub-out of the AVR which is feeding the BOSS. If the BOSS is LPF'd below 80Hz, then there will be a hole in the response which will be audibly felt, especially with chest punch material which has a lot of content in the 40-80Hz range.

Also, if you're not laying down parallel to the BOSS platform or not fully reclined parallel to the BOSS platform, the pressure sensation won't be present on your entire body and will be localized more to your butt and/or feet. That's where far field subs or nearfield subs can start to deliver the full body pressure sensation if you can't fully recline or lay down on your furniture.

I've recently discovered the reclined position listening trick with an LPF of 80Hz and don't miss my 3 far field subs anymore And, the experience is more natural and consistent across my entire body than any of my VNF experiments last summer.

Happy experimenting.
varun432 likes this.
post #4523 of 6625 Old 12-19-2019, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YumMasterYum View Post
Finished my mini-Boss set-up last night which is 2 platforms. Each platform supports a loveseat and has 2 subs. ie. 2 platforms, 2 loveseats, 4 JBL's, 4 seats. I set up three profiles to limit a 6000dsp to different outputs (80W, 90W, and 100W limited per sub). Would 90W or 100W be safe or should I keep it limited to 80W and be happy? I did a quick demo with Thor Ragnarok and everytning was moving pretty good with no audible distortion. I had it turned up enough to hit the limit on a few occasions. So I'm also wondering how safe it is to be hitting the 80W limiter?
YumMasterYum. Thanks for the details. The 100 watts should be OK but the 90 watts would probably be better for some safety factor. The only way to really know is to listen to some of your favorite bass demo material at a main volume level that's a bit higher than you would normally listen.

If you don't hear any unusual sounds from the driver during the heavy hitting scenes of the demo, then you're good to go. Just be close to the 6000dsp gain so you can turn it down quickly if any unusual sounds start to happen. The JBL's are pretty forgiving and are designed to take some abuse given their car audio roots.

Welcome to the BOSS family!
post #4524 of 6625 Old 12-19-2019, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked: 228
@trhought Hello Tim, I would be very interested in your thoughts & input on my last post.

Here is a link to it: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...l#post58968112

Many thanks
post #4525 of 6625 Old 12-19-2019, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAttewell View Post
@trhought Hello Tim, I would be very interested in your thoughts & input on my last post.

Here is a link to it: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...l#post58968112

Many thanks
Adam....Thanks for calling my attention to your post. Been a heavy travel week and taking advantage of some extra time here at the Atlanta airport.

The 3000 is rated at 2 ohms and will be fine. The MBQuarts only need 20 watts per driver so the amp will be happy and not run very hot even at 2 ohms.

I couldn't find the RMS power for the BK1000 amplifier, but I'm presuming the 1,000 watts at 4 ohms is RMS and not peak power. Even if it's peak power, it will still be more than the Behringer which is 900 watts peak per channel.

The proposed amplifier changes look good if you'd like to experiment. The SVS woofer will be getting more power with the BK amp than it was with the Behringer if that's what you're after.

If you want to experiment further, the 3000 could be ran in mono mode (single channel mode) and will provide a lot more power than the BK1000. This way you could see if more power will help with the SVS or not. I wish we had the T/S parameters for that SVS driver but I recall not being able to find them anywhere.

Hope this helps.
AdamAttewell likes this.
post #4526 of 6625 Old 12-19-2019, 10:52 PM

Quote:

If you're using an LPF below 80Hz then you're losing some LFE content since most AVR's are bass managed around 80Hz. With this bass management setting in the AVR, that sub 80Hz information from the bed level channels are being passed over to the sub-out of the AVR which is feeding the BOSS. If the BOSS is LPF'd below 80Hz, then there will be a hole in the response which will be audibly felt, especially with chest punch material which has a lot of content in the 40-80Hz range.

Happy experimenting.
I am using a steep filter @80 hz and not below.. The steep filter also helps with less bleed on the other side..
I am getting lots of chest thump from 40-80 which I so much missed earlier...
The low frequency 20-40 tactical was always there from near field subs sitting on a platform.., but now with boss and beq (mainly boss, as without beq too its on a whole new level) low frequency rumble is at another level..

Also using recliners over the boss platform..

Alone boss is good,, but u know something is missing.
And yes as someone said boss plus 1 sub and you feel it's complete..
trhought likes this.

Last edited by varun432; 12-19-2019 at 11:00 PM.
post #4527 of 6625 Old 12-19-2019, 11:19 PM

Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

In no uncertain terms, if you have a recliner and are fully reclined with an LPF of 80Hz....the pressure sensation on your whole body is as good as any experience I've ever had. Except for maybe 1 or 2 car audio setups back in the day that were unbelievably over the top in terms of cabin pressure (and hearing damage).

Also, if you're not laying down parallel to the BOSS platform or not fully reclined parallel to the BOSS platform, the pressure sensation won't be present on your entire body and will be localized more to your butt and/or feet. That's where far field subs or nearfield subs can start to deliver the full body pressure sensation if you can't fully recline or lay down on your furniture.

I've recently discovered the reclined position listening trick with an LPF of 80Hz and don't miss my 3 far field subs anymore And, the experience is more natural and consistent across my entire body than any of my VNF experiments last summer.

Happy experimenting.
Nice to know I'm not crazy.
trhought likes this.

Last edited by jbarteli; 12-19-2019 at 11:55 PM.
post #4528 of 6625 Old 12-20-2019, 01:14 AM

Installation of boss drivers on my already constructed platform took me just 1 working day.. Including addition of minidsp in the setup..

But I have still done only a couple of hrs of tweaking my subs and boss with minidsp.. One can say I have spent more hours watching movies with the new setup. (5 6 new movies now)

Earlier my 4 subs were daisy chained.Just adjusted with phase settings for best performance. No eq etc.

They are now are being routed through mini dsp via 3 outs,, 1 out is being used by boss platform.. I haven't tweeked any settings for the subs etc..

The only setting in minidsp is a 12ms of delay on all subs except the boss platform,This as of now gives the flattest response without touching anything and without and eq..

Attaching screen shot... Please let me know what you guyz make of it... The boss platform is contributing to the spl here.. Is it good? Should it be doing at such low frequencies 30-50hz
The blue one is just the subs...
The red one is subs with boss.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Last edited by varun432; 12-20-2019 at 01:17 AM.
post #4529 of 6625 Old 12-20-2019, 04:52 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 918 Post(s)
Liked: 730
Quote:

While I haven’t built and set up my BOSS platform yet, I’m guessing the answer will be...Nah!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lumagen Radiance Pro HDR Tone Mapping Guide: Click Here

Lumagen Radiance Pro Setup & Calibration Tips: Click Here

UHD-BD Backup & Playback Guidance Link
post #4530 of 6625 Old 12-20-2019, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 171 Post(s)
Quoted: 1156 Post(s)
Liked: 3059
Quote:
Originally Posted by varun432 View Post
Installation of boss drivers on my already constructed platform took me just 1 working day.. Including addition of minidsp in the setup..

But I have still done only a couple of hrs of tweaking my subs and boss with minidsp.. One can say I have spent more hours watching movies with the new setup. (5 6 new movies now)

Earlier my 4 subs were daisy chained.Just adjusted with phase settings for best performance. No eq etc.

They are now are being routed through mini dsp via 3 outs,, 1 out is being used by boss platform.. I haven't tweeked any settings for the subs etc..

The only setting in minidsp is a 12ms of delay on all subs except the boss platform,This as of now gives the flattest response without touching anything and without and eq..

Attaching screen shot... Please let me know what you guyz make of it... The boss platform is contributing to the spl here.. Is it good? Should it be doing at such low frequencies 30-50hz
The blue one is just the subs...
The red one is subs with boss.

Depending on your boss set-up you'll get some SPL out of it. Mine does a little bit more than yours since my seats are almost a ported box for the drivers. I'd work on EQing your subs to fix the dip between 40 and 60 hz and the peak at 22 hz. Check out this video on setting them up and integrating all of the subs together with a miniDSP. He does a great job explaining and showing how to do it.

#IHateNalleh
The struggle is real for Generation Xplain Digital to the Analog and Analog to the Digital.
Klipsch RF-7III, RC-64III
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
Sony 85X900F, Denon 8500, nVidia Shield, Apple TV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page