The Hideaway Theater - Page 153 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5085Likes

post #4561 of 6625 Old 12-22-2019, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by trhought View Post

...Do you have recliners?...

...For VNF's I'd also recommend using the Behringer with DSP. This will allow you to apply a dynamic eq (signal expander) to the VNF signal to make it feel more natural. Basically, you'll want the VNF volume to increase as your main volume decreases and vice versa to keep the VNF's feeling natural at any main volume level and not call attention to themselves.

As always, let us know of more questions as your design comes into focus.

Welcome aboard!
Thanks @trhought !

Unfortunately, I don't have recliners in my sectional.

Regarding the Behringer, do I still need the DSP version if I'm running a miniDSP 2x4hd?

If so, can the nx3000d apply dynamic EQ to only one channel and not both? I imagine it wouldn't be needed for the BOSS on the other channel.

On that note, I'm guessing I should disable Dynamic EQ on my Marantz.

I will also have the Behringer plugged into a smart plug so I'd likely turn it off when not watching movies, so it may all be moot.

Marantz SR7013, Polk Signature S60s/S30/S15s/HTS12s, Polk MC80 (x4), AC Infinity T9/S9, AAB4 HTPC, Panasonic DP-UB420K...still to come - 82"-85" 4K QLED or eqv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4562 of 6625 Old 12-22-2019, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
Magly....Thanks for the update on your BOSS experiments! I couldn't see in the pictures but if I understand correctly, you're using the tubes as both isolators and to increase pressure on the backside of the driver like this concept here....correct? If so, that's the first cantilevered hovercraft setup I've seen incorporating these alignments for the ultimate in engineering economies

1) Tubes as ultra soft isolators - check
2) Tubes to increase hovercraft pressure while still allowing single digit BOSS driver response - check
3) Cantilevered BOSS drivers to leverage the extra hovercraft pressure and shaker potential from the BOSS driver - check

Nicely done!

This is probably the strongest and most efficient BOSS-only implementation I've seen yet without compromising any of the 3 key BOSS ingredients!

Kudos!
Yes that is what i am doing, sealing the bottom of the driver to the floor with inner tubes so when the drivers push out it lifts the platform and when they go back in it sucks you back down

Only did it to the cantilevered um18s, the jbls are still in open baffle and the combination works really well
trhought and Nalleh like this.

Video: Epson TW9400 - DIY frame 126.5" DreamScreen Ultraweave V6 - Panasonic DP-UB820
Audio: Denon X4400H 7.1.4 - Klipsch - Emotiva BasX A-500 - 2xMiniDSP 2x4HD - 4xNX6000
Subs/TR: 2xSealed UM18's - 2xSVS PB4000 / 6xBK-LFE - 8x12"HB+3x18"CLHB+3x12"BB
post #4563 of 6625 Old 12-22-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
Excellent! Good Job. Do you have the inner tubes just under the cantilever or the entire riser? I believe the cantilever was free floating before so I'm not sure if you just slid tubes under it. Can you post pictures of your hovercraft set-up?
Just under the cantilever, I basically made another baffle that sits under the driver and have the innertube around the hole in the middle then sealed up the sides with cardboard pieces LOL
It actually holds up pretty good so far
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191201_145215.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	710.3 KB
ID:	2657480   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191219_170217.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	549.8 KB
ID:	2657482   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191222_140155.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	851.2 KB
ID:	2657484   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191222_212558.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	865.8 KB
ID:	2657486   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191222_212539.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	659.5 KB
ID:	2657488  

DesertDog, trhought and Nalleh like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4564 of 6625 Old 12-22-2019, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 503 Post(s)
Quoted: 3296 Post(s)
Liked: 5132
Awsome, @Magly !!

What size are your tubes and what pressure are you using so far?

Dual AVR 13.1.8 SWAtmos - Atmos 13.1.8/DTS X 9.1.8/Auro 3D 13.1 - Denon AVCX8500H+AVRX7200WA - Klipsch+KEF - 4xSI18" - 12x12" w/6xSLAPS M12 VNF - 4x12"HB+2x18"CLHB - 6x Crowsons - 4xBK-LFE - 2x12"BB - 2x "4DX" fans- 6xNU6K - Minidsp 10x10HD-Vertex2-Oppo UDP203-XB1X-ATV4K-JVC RS600-Dreamscreen V2 120"-Samsung QE82Q60.
>>>>Nalleh’s HT<<<<
post #4565 of 6625 Old 12-22-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalleh View Post
Awsome, @Magly !!

What size are your tubes and what pressure are you using so far?
I am using 16x1.75/2.25" tubes at around 5psi I think, the guage on my pump is very inaccurate
Nalleh likes this.
post #4566 of 6625 Old 12-22-2019, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 174 Post(s)
Quoted: 1284 Post(s)
Liked: 1859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magly View Post
Yes that is what i am doing, sealing the bottom of the driver to the floor with inner tubes so when the drivers push out it lifts the platform and when they go back in it sucks you back down

Only did it to the cantilevered um18s, the jbls are still in open baffle and the combination works really well
Hats off to you Magly!

A seamless merging of all 3 BOSS elements for the ultimate in engineering economy and efficiency

Thanks for sharing.
Magly likes this.
post #4567 of 6625 Old 12-22-2019, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Chan View Post
Thanks @trhought !

Unfortunately, I don't have recliners in my sectional.

Regarding the Behringer, do I still need the DSP version if I'm running a miniDSP 2x4hd?

If so, can the nx3000d apply dynamic EQ to only one channel and not both? I imagine it wouldn't be needed for the BOSS on the other channel.

On that note, I'm guessing I should disable Dynamic EQ on my Marantz.

I will also have the Behringer plugged into a smart plug so I'd likely turn it off when not watching movies, so it may all be moot.
Darren.....Thanks for the details of your setup.

For your VNF's, I'd recommend the Behringer DSP version to get its dynamic EQ capability. Unfortunately, the mini-DSP doesn't have any "audio expanders" in its DSP engine to implement the dynamic eq capability. The mini-DSP only has "audio compressors" in addition to the traditional delays, gains and filters that come along with both the mini and the Behringer DSP engines.

With your VNF's, you'll need external dynamic eq to get them to deliver a consistent TR experience for any main volume level. The Behringer's with DSP offer this dynamic eq capability. There may be other DSP engines out there that also that offer dynamic eq. But, for our hobby the Behringers with DSP is likely the easiest and most cost effective way to add it to the signal chain.

Correct about the BOSS. It won't need any dynamic eq because its TR is quite linear with any main volume setting. This is because the BOSS is delivering full range TR directly to your body and this effect is very linear with different main volume settings.

On the other hand, VNF's rely on air and distance from your body to deliver the TR waves through SPL. And, that SPL has to be kept high in order for your body to feel it. That's where dynamic eq comes into play. It will keep the SPL of your VNF's higher even as the main volume level decreases so you can still feel the VNF's even at low main volumes.

Regarding DEQ on your Marantz. Definitely keep it engaged. That dynamic eq is not only changing the sub-out level based on main volume which you still want. But, that AVR DEQ is also increasing the volume to your surround and height channels (if equipped) to keep the sound stage intact as the main volume is lowered. This is because our peripheral hearing isn't as good and our ears are more sensitive to sounds directly in front of us.

The AVR manufactures not only use DEQ to keep the LFE sounding natural for any main volume level, similar to what I described above for your VNF's using the Behringer DEQ. But, they also use DEQ for the other speakers in your room to keep the entire sound stage feeling natural regardless of your main volume setting.

Regarding applying DEQ only to one channel on the Behringer....yes, that's possible.

Hope some of this feedback helps.
post #4568 of 6625 Old 12-22-2019, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

@Darren Chan I got a bit wordy above which I'm sometimes known to do

In summary:

1) If you still want more chest slam after building your BOSS and you don't have recliners, VNF's are the next best thing for delivering chest slam
2) Keep the VNF's LPF'd at 80Hz and as close to your sectional as possible. Most of the chest slam is in the 40-80Hz range and the chest slam TR will go down exponentially with every inch away from your body because air isn't very dense.
3) Use the Behringer to dial in DEQ for the VNF's to keep their SPL high relative to the main volume setting so they still deliver some chest slam
4) Continue to use DEQ in your AVR, it's doing more than just adjusting your subwoofer outputs. Just add additional DEQ after your AVR using the Behringer for your VNF's to keep them feeling natural and not call attention to themselves as the main volume level changes.

Also, I forgot to add one important point about body position and BOSS....if you sometimes lay down on your sectional during movies, the chest slam is just as good as sitting reclined. I was laying on our back row couch the other day while my son and his friends were on the front row. I was getting great chest slam when laying back there with an LPF of 80Hz.

Just wanted to mention this if you happen to do a lot of movie watching laying down which some of us are guilty of doing even though we may not admit it

Last edited by trhought; 12-22-2019 at 02:49 PM.
post #4569 of 6625 Old 12-22-2019, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 171 Post(s)
Quoted: 1159 Post(s)
Liked: 3075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magly View Post
Just under the cantilever, I basically made another baffle that sits under the driver and have the innertube around the hole in the middle then sealed up the sides with cardboard pieces LOL
It actually holds up pretty good so far
Now you along with Nalleh's experiment has me wanting to order some inner tubes. With the size of my riser it is going to take a bunch of them and I need to figure out a way to inflate/deflate all of them together. I don't think I can get any with just the area under the VNF subs. I wonder if it would work if I got a couple air mattresses and used them instead of inner tubes. 🤔

Keep it up and you might get added to my sig.
Nalleh and Magly like this.

#IHateNalleh
The struggle is real for Generation Xplain Digital to the Analog and Analog to the Digital.
Klipsch RF-7III, RC-64III
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
Sony 85X900F, Denon 8500, nVidia Shield, Apple TV
post #4570 of 6625 Old 12-22-2019, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
Now you along with Nalleh's experiment has me wanting to order some inner tubes. With the size of my riser it is going to take a bunch of them and I need to figure out a way to inflate/deflate all of them together. I don't think I can get any with just the area under the VNF subs. I wonder if it would work if I got a couple air mattresses and used them instead of inner tubes. 🤔

Keep it up and you might get added to my sig.
^^^ LOL about the signature hashtag comment.

If the drivers can be arranged to increase/decrease air pressure inside the mattress, then it will work great with all that lift/pull potential. This is how full size BOSS risers with open bottoms that sit directly on carpet and padding behave also. Lots of lift/pull potential with the huge surface areas involved.

If the air mattress is simply being used instead of the tubes, the effect will likely be about the same as the tubes alone. It will largely depend how "rubbery" the air mattress bladder is. That "rubbery" spring is still needed for the BOSS spring/damper equations to work dynamically and deliver the energy needed for strong and linear TR in the entire LFE range. If there's too much dampening in the system, TR will be lost, especially in the higher LFE frequencies.
post #4571 of 6625 Old 12-22-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
@Darren Chan I got a bit wordy above which I'm sometimes known to do [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

In summary:

1) If you still want more chest slam after building your BOSS and you don't have recliners, VNF's are the next best thing for delivering chest slam
2) Keep the VNF's LPF'd at 80Hz and as close to your sectional as possible. Most of the chest slam is in the 40-80Hz range and the chest slam TR will go down exponentially with every inch away from your body because air isn't very dense.
3) Use the Behringer to dial in DEQ for the VNF's to keep their SPL high relative to the main volume setting so they still deliver some chest slam
4) Continue to use DEQ in your AVR, it's doing more than just adjusting your subwoofer outputs. Just add additional DEQ after your AVR using the Behringer for your VNF's to keep them feeling natural and not call attention to themselves as the main volume level changes.

Also, I forgot to add one important point about body position and BOSS....if you sometimes lay down on your sectional during movies, the chest slam is just as good as sitting reclined. I was laying on our back row couch the other day while my son and his friends were on the front row. I was getting great chest slam when laying back there with an LPF of 80Hz.

Just wanted to mention this if you happen to do a lot of movie watching laying down which some of us are guilty of doing even though we may not admit it [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
1) I probably will...the question now is how many do I need &#x1f601;

2) they will be as close as I can get them and probably won't be tuned very low anyway due to limitations of the 460-8.

3)with the marantz DEQ still on, is another one on the Behringer still needed? Also, I honestly don't think I'd even turn on the VNF subs unless the volume is turned up to my regular movie watching volume(approx -15db +/- 5db). I like the idea of EQing all of my subs with the 2x4HD but if the DSP on the Behringer is sufficient, then I can save some money and eliminate the 2x4.

What would you choose if your only options were:

(i) to have DSP on BOSS and VNF only and save some money with 3000D and no 2x4HD or

(ii)have only the 3000(non D) with the 2x4HD to DSP all subs and lose out on the extra DEQ on the VNF (which may not be used if only 1 volume is ever used, but has the flexibility if ever needed)

Marantz SR7013, Polk Signature S60s/S30/S15s/HTS12s, Polk MC80 (x4), AC Infinity T9/S9, AAB4 HTPC, Panasonic DP-UB420K...still to come - 82"-85" 4K QLED or eqv.
post #4572 of 6625 Old 12-22-2019, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestType View Post
I'm surprised to see you mention Love, Death, Robots without BEQ. I watched the entire series, and while I enjoyed it I found the sound mix extremely lacking, especially the bass. I found it frustratingly low on bass, lacking any weight or impact, rendering action scenes quite lifeless. Was that just me?
Today, after the Saints game, I re-watched 2 episodes of Love, Death and Robots without any BEQ. The first episode "Sonnie's Edge" and the fourth episode "Suits".

Both were so full of ULF goodness, they could stand on their own as bass demo scenes, especially since their running lengths are so short....I think they're both only about 17 minutes long.

For example the opening scene of "Sonnie's Edge" when there's a flyover of the city....the wobbles happening during the flyover make it feel like I'm right there flying over the city looking down. Then, later in the episode when the cage match fight is happening, every time the Boss walks or pounds the ground of the arena with his fists, it feels like the entire floor of the theater just moved. It reminded me of "The Incredible Hulk - Street Punch" demo scene we all love so much.

The fourth episode was the one I was thinking of earlier with the mech warriors fighting in the open fields. During those fight scenes, the rockets launching from the mech warriors felt so real with the chest slam. Then, when those rockets landed in the middle of the enemy hoard and exploded, the ground beneath me rumbled for a few seconds and my body was slammed with all kinds of TR goodness.

This was without any BEQ I can only wonder what some BEQ goodness could bring to these mixes.

I'd highly recommend checking these 2 episodes out again to see if you have any of the experiences mentioned above. If not, something's probably not setup correctly. Even without a BOSS, there's plenty of chest slam content here in the 40-80Hz range that I could tell would be impressive even if I disabled my BOSS platforms.

Highly recommended for those who haven't checked out this fun Netflix series yet....not for the kiddos though
mcallister likes this.
post #4573 of 6625 Old 12-22-2019, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
1) I probably will...the question now is how many do I need
Read my response to number 4 below first. Then if you still want to do VNF's, read below......

After reading number 4 below and you still want to try VNF.....I'd try to create a wall of VNF back there as much as possible. Because the drivers will be so close to your back, the experience changes quite a bit when just shifting your body a couple inches in one direction or the other. If your sectional has seats where people will always sit naturally, then having drivers behind each of those seats is recommended to maximize the effect for everyone and keep it feeling as natural as possible. To get an idea what I'm talking about, I'd recommend using one of your existing FF subs and place it behind your seat. This will give you a very good idea how the VNF TR changes a lot just by shifting your body from one side to another when trying to get comfortable in your chair. Once you do that experiment, you'll start to get an idea how to maximize the VNF effect as much as possible given your sectional setup.

Quote:
2) they will be as close as I can get them and probably won't be tuned very low anyway due to limitations of the 460-8.
Just keep them LPF'd around 80Hz and you'll be getting the full chest slam effect. For example, if your LPF is 40Hz, you're missing out on half the chest slam content.

Quote:
3)with the marantz DEQ still on, is another one on the Behringer still needed? Also, I honestly don't think I'd even turn on the VNF subs unless the volume is turned up to my regular movie watching volume(approx -15db +/- 5db). I like the idea of EQing all of my subs with the 2x4HD but if the DSP on the Behringer is sufficient, then I can save some money and eliminate the 2x4.
Yes, the Behringer DEQ will be needed for the VNF's in addition to the DEQ in the Marantz. The VNF's will need to be boosted significantly as the main volume decreases. This is because VNF TR drops drastically as SPL (loudness goes down). So, you'll want to keep the VNF's running hot even during low main volume levels so you can still feel the TR. With BOSS, you won't need any DEQ from the Behringer or any amplifier because the TR won't go down very much even at lower main volumes.

When you say "I don't think I'll even turn on the VNF subs unless I'm watching at reference"....trust me on what I'm about to say. Once you feel what TR does for the movie experience you will want that TR all the time regardless of the main volume setting. This is why DEQ on the Behringer is needed with VNF's. It's also needed to keep the VNF's feeling natural and not distract you from the movie. Without DEQ, you'll always be wondering if you're feeling your VNF's or not feeling them instead of being immersed in the movie. With DEQ, you'll always be feeling them as intended regardless of the main volume.

Regarding having a mini-DSP in the mix for all your subs, VNF's and BOSS. Yes, the mini is great for allowing flexibility to time align and gain match all your subs so they play nicely together. You'll also be missing out on BEQ if you don't have a mini. BEQ plus BOSS is highly recommended. They both bring out the best in each other. There's another way to bring BEQ to your movies (and music) without a mini, but that's a 400 level course we can get into if you're interested in BEQ remux after getting your BOSS built.

Quote:
4) What would you choose if your only options were:

(i) to have DSP on BOSS and VNF only and save some money with 3000D and no 2x4HD or

(ii)have only the 3000(non D) with the 2x4HD to DSP all subs and lose out on the extra DEQ on the VNF (which may not be used if only 1 volume is ever used, but has the flexibility if ever needed)
If I were you, I'd build the BOSS platform first to get a taste of how awesome TR can feel and what you've been missing all these years as the floor below you is moving during your favorite bass demo scenes. Then, add the mini-DSP and implement BEQ to make every movie a bass demo scene

Then, if you really want more TR at that point, add the VNF's behind you and buy the Behringer with DEQ to make them feel as natural as your BOSS. This way, you can start with the biggest TR bang-for-the-buck (BOSS) and then add the other biggest TR bang-for-the-buck (BEQ) with the mini.

If you still feel a wanting for more TR (I doubt you will at that point ), then you can spend the extra money on the Behringer with DEQ and add the VNF drivers behind you. The VNFs plus the Behringer will be the most expensive part of your setup and will bring the least amount of TR to your experience.

VNF's require lots of power and lots of drivers which costs lots of money. Since it sounds like you're making cost conscious decisions and doing your homework up front, I would do the VNF's last and only if desired. Start with the BOSS and BEQ first to get a taste of natural and powerful TR with very little investment then go from there.

Hope some of this feedback helps.
post #4574 of 6625 Old 12-22-2019, 07:15 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 918 Post(s)
Liked: 730
Progress:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lumagen Radiance Pro HDR Tone Mapping Guide: Click Here

Lumagen Radiance Pro Setup & Calibration Tips: Click Here

UHD-BD Backup & Playback Guidance Link
post #4575 of 6625 Old 12-22-2019, 09:39 PM

Thanks again @trhought ! Great feedback and thoughtful suggestions. I should be good to go and will be making the necessary purchases soon. &#x1f44d;

post #4576 of 6625 Old 12-23-2019, 04:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked: 2431
That looks amazing @Magly. Nice work.
Magly likes this.
post #4577 of 6625 Old 12-23-2019, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post
Progress:

Thanks for sharing Mark. Great to see your design come alive!

Won't be long and you'll soon be enjoying your BOSS.

Can't wait to hear your first impressions after firing it up.
post #4578 of 6625 Old 12-23-2019, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks again @trhought ! Great feedback and thoughtful suggestions. I should be good to go and will be making the necessary purchases soon. &#x1f44d;
Sounds good Darren. As always, let us know of any more questions as your design comes into focus.
post #4579 of 6625 Old 12-23-2019, 07:31 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
None of these limitations exist with a BOSS. The realism and pressure on the body is so powerful and consistent at any main volume level. Even shifting of your body from one side to another doesn't change the experience. But, you have to be fully reclined and have an LPF of 80Hz for your BOSS to get this effect.
This. Though I am not reclined I do have an ottoman that both or one of my legs is often resting on. But it feels just fine with my feet on the ground. Mine is two JBL's attached directly to a soft chair with a double layer of 3/4" baltic birch plywood and a Russound 75 wpc stereo amp running them. No DSP just a sub out from my receiver and an 80 Hz LPF.

Everyone always talks about the huge impacts of the BOSS - explosions, gunshots, etc. What I don't hear people talk about a lot is the subtlety it has. To me that is what is so great about it - when it needs to be delicate and add just a very slight feeling it does. When it needs to tear the chair apart it does it's best to do it. And everywhere in between it lends itself to the experience. What this serves to do is DRAW YOU IN to the movie like nothing else I've ever experienced even if the movie is mainly dialog the subtle vibrations that you feel rather than hear just make it so much more like you are in the movie rather than watching it. I will never have another theater without one.

Roll Tide.
post #4580 of 6625 Old 12-23-2019, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3bham View Post
This. Though I am not reclined I do have an ottoman that both or one of my legs is often resting on. But it feels just fine with my feet on the ground. Mine is two JBL's attached directly to a soft chair with a double layer of 3/4" baltic birch plywood and a Russound 75 wpc stereo amp running them. No DSP just a sub out from my receiver and an 80 Hz LPF.

Everyone always talks about the huge impacts of the BOSS - explosions, gunshots, etc. What I don't hear people talk about a lot is the subtlety it has. To me that is what is so great about it - when it needs to be delicate and add just a very slight feeling it does. When it needs to tear the chair apart it does it's best to do it. And everywhere in between it lends itself to the experience. What this serves to do is DRAW YOU IN to the movie like nothing else I've ever experienced even if the movie is mainly dialog the subtle vibrations that you feel rather than hear just make it so much more like you are in the movie rather than watching it. I will never have another theater without one.
Thanks for the update on your BOSS experiences p3bham.

Great point about the subtlety of the BOSS response. That's probably a better way to describe what I usually refer to in my posts as fidelity. I guess fidelity could mean a lot of different things to different folks. Subtlety is probably a better way to say it. Some in our hobby may also call this dynamic range.

When using the full bandwidth of the BOSS (0-80Hz), like you and I and a few others do, its dynamic range is unparalleled. There's a few other members who use full bandwidth also, and they've shared a similar description about the subtlety of the BOSS. Steve Callas went as far as feeding his BOSS platforms an untouched LFE signal straight from the movie soundtrack and reported a great experience with his setup. I shared one of his testimonials in Post 1 of this thread and there's other posts where he expressed comments similar to yours.

What I think trips up most AVS folks about TR is it's more than just the lower frequencies and the violence we normally associate with those lower frequencies. It's the entire LFE range of those frequencies and how the sound mixer uses those combined together to transport us into the movie. It could be a subtle swaying feeling as we're flying in the air onscreen (similar to a whisper we're listening to on the screen when we're talking about dynamic range). Or, the TR could be the bodily thrashing and loudness that accompanies an automobile accident (a violent and loud event that's happening on the screen that's at the high end of the dynamic range).

Both these events use the entire LFE frequency range to create the full experience on both ends of the dynamic range spectrum. Whether it's a whisper event or a big explosion event, the entire LFE range is being used to it's fullest effect when the LFE mix is done correctly. When the BOSS is being used to it's fullest capability, it can render these events with the subtlety needed to make it feel real and powerful. Even the "floating in the air" effect can be more powerful when the BOSS is ran full range because there's other LFE effects that are going on at the same time in the mix that are being missed if the BOSS is crossed at say 30-40Hz. Some may argue they're getting these other frequencies from their subs, but it's not nearly as powerful and the dynamic range isn't nearly as big.

Great to hear you've kept your setup simple and are using the entire frequency range capability of your BOSS setup. In the last month or so, I've been trying to advocate more BOSS owners to try this simple approach so they can also get this full experience and not just the lower frequency experience.

I think some BOSS owners may just simply switch their mini-DSP to 80Hz while sitting upright with their laptop and immediately dislike it because it feels so different. Rather than sitting back and listening and feeling for an hour or so to see if they like it.

Pretty cool stuff

Thanks for sharing your experiences!
p3bham likes this.
post #4581 of 6625 Old 12-23-2019, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Progress:

That looks incredible! You’ll love the 6 drivers. I sure do!
giomania likes this.

Last edited by FLViking2011; 12-24-2019 at 05:38 AM.
post #4582 of 6625 Old 12-24-2019, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 918 Post(s)
Liked: 730
The Hideaway Theater

Merry BOSSmas gents! I finished installing it now I had to connect it set it up and try it out.

Drivers & isolators installed:

Carpet sticker “sticking” solution:

Drivers wired; 3 in series and each group of three in parallel. I lined up the wires like that just to show the specific connections for future reference:

Installed; one chair showing reclined. I wonder if that “flap“ is going to be flapping in the air during operation of the BOSS:

Mark

Lumagen Radiance Pro HDR Tone Mapping Guide: Click Here

Lumagen Radiance Pro Setup & Calibration Tips: Click Here

UHD-BD Backup & Playback Guidance Link

Last edited by giomania; 12-24-2019 at 07:03 AM.
post #4583 of 6625 Old 12-24-2019, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked: 2431
Merry Christmas to all, and @giomania , that is spectacular! Can't wait to hear your impressions with all that TR!
trhought likes this.
post #4584 of 6625 Old 12-24-2019, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Merry BOSSmas gents! I finished installing it now I had to connect it set it up and try it out.

Drivers & isolators installed:

Carpet sticker “sticking” solution:

Drivers wired; 3 in series and each group of three in parallel. I lined up the wires like that just to show the specific connections for future reference:

Installed; one chair showing reclined. I wonder if that “flap“ is going to be flapping in the air during operation of the BOSS:

Mark

Merry BOSSmas Mark! Looks awesome.

Thanks for documenting your build so well with pictures and sharing them with us!

The flap shouldn't be a problem at all. When it's flapping, your attention will be elsewhere I don't think it will make any sound that will draw attention to itself.

Won't be long now

This will be a fun Christmas in your theater
post #4585 of 6625 Old 12-24-2019, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3bham View Post
p3bham....just added your comments to Post 1. You bring up a really good point about the subtlety of a BOSS and how that DRAWS YOU IN to the movie even during quite passages. Great feedback for those considering a BOSS who also seek a natural experience with added realism even during dialogue-centric movies. Those added vibrations from running the BOSS full band sometimes make the hairs on my arms stand up because it feels like the actors are right there in the room talking with us. We not only hear them, but feel them, just as you pointed out.
post #4586 of 6625 Old 12-25-2019, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Merry Christmas!

May your day be filled with joy and a bit of TR to go along with your egg nog.

We started the LOTR series last night.....lots of fun to revisit these films. Reminds me of their releases around Christmas time years ago.
giomania likes this.
post #4587 of 6625 Old 12-25-2019, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Merry Christmas!

May your day be filled with joy and a bit of TR to go along with your egg nog.

We started the LOTR series last night.....lots of fun to revisit these films. Reminds me of their releases around Christmas time years ago.
Happy holidays to all. Go Gandalf!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gandalf.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	5.9 KB
ID:	2658712  
trhought likes this.
post #4588 of 6625 Old 12-26-2019, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 735 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3710 Post(s)
Liked: 3570
Hey Tim, I'm sure you have posted this a bunch of times but I can't find it, sorry. What EQ boost do you use to bring up your single digits? thanks!!
post #4589 of 6625 Old 12-26-2019, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 242
QQ: Are you running Audyssey with your BOSS platform off or on?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
post #4590 of 6625 Old 12-26-2019, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 171 Post(s)
Quoted: 1159 Post(s)
Liked: 3075
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Hey Tim, I'm sure you have posted this a bunch of times but I can't find it, sorry. What EQ boost do you use to bring up your single digits? thanks!!
If you have a inuke or the nx line and a miniDSP 2x4 HD do an LS filter at 10 hz, 4.4 gain, .5 q.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambine View Post
QQ: Are you running Audyssey with your BOSS platform off or on?
I run mine with it off. I have dual sub outs so when I run Audyssey I turn the BOSS off, route both outputs to the subs in the miniDSP. Then after it runs put output 2 routed only to the BOSS. You can then adjust the gains and delay for the boss in the AVR settings and in the miniDSP. I also pull the frequency cutoff in the Multi EQ app all the way down to 20 hz (I already have my subs flat using REW).
carp likes this.

#IHateNalleh
The struggle is real for Generation Xplain Digital to the Analog and Analog to the Digital.
Klipsch RF-7III, RC-64III
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
Sony 85X900F, Denon 8500, nVidia Shield, Apple TV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page