The Hideaway Theater - Page 154 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5081Likes

post #4591 of 6616 Old 12-26-2019, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I finally got my risers done and hooked up. Since I am doing drivers facing down I wired them up 180 out of phase. Just to see how they are integrating with my main subs I ran a few sweeps with all EQ and audyssey off and just a LP 80Hz BW 24dB/oct filter on the BOSSes. The main sub and both risers are currently running off the same SUB out on my Denon. Looking at the plot it appears that using the minidsp to re-invert the BOSS back to in phase with my main sub provides a more ideal response. Any thoughts?

I think I will proceed with calibration with this setup and see how I like things once Audyssey has done its thing and I have worked on some custom EQ with the minidsp. I have never had more than my one main IB sub and its cant move so I will probably need to learn all about multi sub integration and delays and all that which might also help smooth things out bc right now it just seems to move my room null up or down depending on the phase relationship between the BOSS risers and the IB sub. I will be honest though I wasnt expecting really any SPL from the mini risers but I am getting some...time will tell if that is a good thing or not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BOSS integration.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	348.5 KB
ID:	2659220  

DIY Khanspire mains, In-Khan-Neato surrounds, RSL 34E Atmos, 8x AE IB15 array
Denon x6500, Emotiva XPA-3, NX6000, MiniDSP 2x4HD
JVC RS2000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4592 of 6616 Old 12-26-2019, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 171 Post(s)
Quoted: 1156 Post(s)
Liked: 3056
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawk2383 View Post
I finally got my risers done and hooked up. Since I am doing drivers facing down I wired them up 180 out of phase. Just to see how they are integrating with my main subs I ran a few sweeps with all EQ and audyssey off and just a LP 80Hz BW 24dB/oct filter on the BOSSes. The main sub and both risers are currently running off the same SUB out on my Denon. Looking at the plot it appears that using the minidsp to re-invert the BOSS back to in phase with my main sub provides a more ideal response. Any thoughts?

I think I will proceed with calibration with this setup and see how I like things once Audyssey has done its thing and I have worked on some custom EQ with the minidsp. I have never had more than my one main IB sub and its cant move so I will probably need to learn all about multi sub integration and delays and all that which might also help smooth things out bc right now it just seems to move my room null up or down depending on the phase relationship between the BOSS risers and the IB sub. I will be honest though I wasnt expecting really any SPL from the mini risers but I am getting some...time will tell if that is a good thing or not.
I'd go with the inverted. It's giving a pretty good line and you should be able to easily EQ that to be pretty flat. Let REW generate the miniDSP filters for you and just give it a slight house curve. Check out the youtube video from home theater gurus on sub setup with REW that I posted like a week ago. It'll walk you through doing everything.
BlackHawk2383 likes this.

#IHateNalleh
The struggle is real for Generation Xplain Digital to the Analog and Analog to the Digital.
Klipsch RF-7III, RC-64III
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
Sony 85X900F, Denon 8500, nVidia Shield, Apple TV
post #4593 of 6616 Old 12-26-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
I'd go with the inverted. It's giving a pretty good line and you should be able to easily EQ that to be pretty flat. Let REW generate the miniDSP filters for you and just give it a slight house curve. Check out the youtube video from home theater gurus on sub setup with REW that I posted like a week ago. It'll walk you through doing everything.
Yeah I have been playing around with the minidsp for about a month using REW to generate the filters and using BEQ designer to merge those with the BEQ files. Its pretty awesome. I also purchased the MultiEQ app and am about to try it out for the first time. I should be able to set it up to leave my low end alone and just let me EQ it with REW.

JVC RS2000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4594 of 6616 Old 12-26-2019, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 735 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3710 Post(s)
Liked: 3570
Quote:
If you have a inuke or the nx line and a miniDSP 2x4 HD do an LS filter at 10 hz, 4.4 gain, .5 q.

Thanks!
post #4595 of 6616 Old 12-26-2019, 07:03 PM

Darn REW is so addictive to staring at graphs. I have messed with this far to long but I came up with two filter settings that pre EQ give me a good integration with my main sub. One is a 12db/oct BW and the second is a 48dB/oct LR. The BW filter needed some delay but the LR filter needed nothing.

So my question is since I am crossing over at 80Hz is a 12dB/oct going to be enough or should I go much steeper with the 48db/oct LR filter? What type of filters are others using that X-over high? I understand it might just be trial and error based on my own personal feel but still curious what others have found works well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BOSS integration 2.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	561.9 KB
ID:	2659376  

JVC RS2000
post #4596 of 6616 Old 12-26-2019, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 1440
Quote:
I'd do them for a 4 ohm load like this.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attac...0&d=1553798320

In this diagram what’s the best way to splice the wires together?

My Theater Build - Full Circle Cinema
post #4597 of 6616 Old 12-26-2019, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magly View Post
Just wanted to share my boss experience going through a few versions and some tests.
So I built my first boss back in march i think with 3 jbl gtx1200 in a 4x8 1.5 inch thick platform, I ran it for a couple of months but after getting used to it I wanted more especially below about 15 hz so I decided to make V2 with 8 drivers instead. when i built the new boss i also glued some weight to each driver (55 grams). It was a big improvement in tr, but again after using it for 3 or 4 monts i wanted even more in the single digits I then made V2.5 which is just a cantilevered extention to the 8 driver boss with 2 um18s so 10 drivers total i did som testing with iso placement and found out that the best setup was to just have isos below each seat leg 12 in my case and none behind for the cantilevered drivers. without the isos for the cantilevered drivers the single digits were 2-3 times more powerful and wobbly in my testing. and i also added 350 grams to both um18s also for even more wobbles and a total mms for the whole setup of about 3.9 kg. it can shake you silly deep into single digits
So in my testing cantilevered works better for single digits but having the drivers under the seats feels more linear but drops off a little more below 13-14 hz in my current setup
Awesome set up! Did you use hot glue when adding more mass to the JBLs or something more permanent? Was the mass attached to the back of the cone like the UM18s? Also did you ever use any EQ to increase single digits or just max cone area?
post #4598 of 6616 Old 12-26-2019, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 174 Post(s)
Quoted: 1276 Post(s)
Liked: 1856
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Hey Tim, I'm sure you have posted this a bunch of times but I can't find it, sorry. What EQ boost do you use to bring up your single digits? thanks!!
carp....Thanks. DesertDog's settings he shared are good for the BOSS amplifier boost below 10Hz. This is a good general setting to get the BOSS single digit signal flat below 10Hz. I've found this usually isn't enough for my liking though.

Below is some geek speak if interested in how much boost I add to my BOSS to tune it to behave like I want it to below 10Hz and also above 40Hz for chest slam. Enter only if feeling a bit geeky

Spoiler!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Two Towers.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	2.21 MB
ID:	2659384  
carp and gpmbc like this.

Last edited by trhought; 12-26-2019 at 08:18 PM.
post #4599 of 6616 Old 12-26-2019, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Darn REW is so addictive to staring at graphs. I have messed with this far to long but I came up with two filter settings that pre EQ give me a good integration with my main sub. One is a 12db/oct BW and the second is a 48dB/oct LR. The BW filter needed some delay but the LR filter needed nothing.

So my question is since I am crossing over at 80Hz is a 12dB/oct going to be enough or should I go much steeper with the 48db/oct LR filter? What type of filters are others using that X-over high? I understand it might just be trial and error based on my own personal feel but still curious what others have found works well.
BlackHawk.....Thanks for the details and the response summary. I use a LR 12dB/oct filter at 80Hz for my particular setup. Have you listened/experienced the TR yet when sitting on your BOSS platform? If not, I'd highly recommend doing that for about 30 min using each of the 2 settings that integrated well with your main sub. You'll soon discover which one you like better when listening to some of your favorite bass demo material that you're very familiar with.

Looking at curves and getting them ruler flat can be fun (and sometimes exhausting ). But, the settings that result in the best experience when listening/feeling should always be used, even if that means the curve is no longer flat when remeasuring. I'd actually suggest not remeasuring after making your final adjustments after listening/feeling. You'll always be second guessing yourself when looking at the curves again.

Hope some of this feedback helps.
zambine likes this.
post #4600 of 6616 Old 12-26-2019, 08:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 171 Post(s)
Quoted: 1156 Post(s)
Liked: 3056
Quote:
Yeah I have been playing around with the minidsp for about a month using REW to generate the filters and using BEQ designer to merge those with the BEQ files. Its pretty awesome. I also purchased the MultiEQ app and am about to try it out for the first time. I should be able to set it up to leave my low end alone and just let me EQ it with REW.
Cool, if you get your subs EQed how you would like them with REW the MultieEQ app is great to have then. For the subs you can bring the slider all the way down to 20hz so that Audyssey won't touch anything about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkinneb View Post
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attac...0&d=1553798320

In this diagram what’s the best way to splice the wires together?
To splice the wires together for the parallel part I usually just twist them together and use an electrical cap. Like one of these. What one to get depends on wire gauge. I'm in the habit from other electrical work of also then wrapping the cap and an inch or two of the wire in electrical tape to make sure things are secure. It's probably not absolutely needed but it helps my OCD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trhought View Post
carp....Thanks. DesertDog's settings he shared are good for the BOSS amplifier boost below 10Hz. This is a good general setting to get the BOSS single digit signal flat below 10Hz. I've found this usually isn't enough for my liking though.
Oh, yeah. To clarify, what I posted is to give the amp a flat response down to I believe 4 hz. I use that as the base filter for any of my NX amps and then EQ to taste on top of it. It's a foundational filter.
carp, trhought and pkinneb like this.

#IHateNalleh
The struggle is real for Generation Xplain Digital to the Analog and Analog to the Digital.
Klipsch RF-7III, RC-64III
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
Sony 85X900F, Denon 8500, nVidia Shield, Apple TV
post #4601 of 6616 Old 12-26-2019, 10:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 735 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3710 Post(s)
Liked: 3570
Quote:

Below is some geek speak if interested in how much boost I add to my BOSS to tune it to behave like I want it to below 10Hz and also above 40Hz for chest slam. Enter only if feeling a bit geeky

Spoiler!
Woah.. so you are adding boost to the BOSS for each individual movie in addition to the BEQ boost?

Like you I really like the higher bass feel on the BOSS, especially for music. So punchy. For movies I feel like it adds so much of a... violent feel.
giomania and trhought like this.
post #4602 of 6616 Old 12-27-2019, 05:06 AM

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmbc View Post
Awesome set up! Did you use hot glue when adding more mass to the JBLs or something more permanent? Was the mass attached to the back of the cone like the UM18s? Also did you ever use any EQ to increase single digits or just max cone area?
Thanks, I used some type of wood glue to add mass to the jbls and just glued to the front of the cone.
only boost I use in the minidsp is the filter to flatten the amps response: LS 10hz + 4.4db Q 0.5, but with the newest hovercraft setup I use some filters for the um18s in the nx6000
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	eq.png
Views:	31
Size:	232.5 KB
ID:	2659532  
giomania likes this.
post #4603 of 6616 Old 12-27-2019, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Woah.. so you are adding boost to the BOSS for each individual movie in addition to the BEQ boost?

Like you I really like the higher bass feel on the BOSS, especially for music. So punchy. For movies I feel like it adds so much of a... violent feel.
carp....Thanks. Yeah, I love the higher bass feel also for the same reasons for both music and movies

About the extra BEQ boost for movies, the answer is yes. The published BEQ filters in the BEQ thread are conservative to ensure they work for the general AVS population. If you know your system capability and how you like for it too feel, the BEQ designer app that Matt developed is a wonderful tool to have in your toolbox.

That app is like a LFE equalizer on steroids which you can see from the picture I posted above. Its DSP suite of filters for the LFE range are both deep and wide....any frequency and any filter can be used The BEQd app also allows you to see the shortcoming of each movie mix and then add what your system needs to make it feel just like you want it. These BEQ settings most always involve more boost than the published BEQ settings....my settings for the Two Towers above is an example of this.

The downside of using BEQ remux.....the Atmos metadata isn't carried over in the bed channels of the movie soundtrack during remixing. But, I've found I prefer Auromatic upmixing for 95% of the movies out there with my Auro3D speaker placement so the loss of Atmos metadata isn't a biggie for me.

BEQ remux can also be used for music to get awesome chest slam. It's a bit trickier with music because the noise floor varies widely from one track to another even on the same album. So, each song has to be remixed individually and listened to for any strange sounds as a result of boosting noise. It's an iterative process for music (and sometimes movies), but the result is simply mind-blowing once the mix is perfected. It's like you're in the sweet spot during a live concert and the bass riffs and kick drums are slamming you so good. And after BEQ remux, you have that entire album in your library now with added chest slam that can be enjoyed anywhere, anytime and often
giomania and carp like this.
post #4604 of 6616 Old 12-27-2019, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked: 2326
Watched Ad Astra with the wife last night. The BOSS really helped with "feeling" the violence and power of the rocket blasts, of which there were plenty. Felt like an Astronaut!
giomania likes this.
post #4605 of 6616 Old 12-27-2019, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
Watched Ad Astra with the wife last night. The BOSS really helped with "feeling" the violence and power of the rocket blasts, of which there were plenty. Felt like an Astronaut!
I loved the rocket blasts in the beginning of First Man. Looking forward to feeling them in Ad Astra!

Thanks for the rec!
m0j0 likes this.
post #4606 of 6616 Old 12-27-2019, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 730
I set up the Behringer NX3000D amplifier and tested out the BOSS platform briefly. As everyone has posted, it is an awesome experience! I wanted to make sure I have the Behringer set up properly, as the manuals do not give you much information at all. I have collected some nuggets of information and screen shots from other users,

Here are the screen shots from the two pages in Behringer NX Edit software I took after setting up my amp.

On the configuration page, I am not sure why this is set to 16 Ohms, but that came from another screen shot example posted previously; the other options are 2, 4, 6, and 8 Ohms The 360W setting was Tim's recommendation, so I just adjusted the dBfs until Watts equaled 360. That said, 80W x 6 drivers is 480 watts, so why wouldn't I use that number?

On the Filter/Crossover page, I think I have this correct based on what @aron7awol posted [URL="https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/2991522-hideaway-theater-29.html#post57895034"]here

Thanks for any input.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Configuration Setup.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	2659936   Click image for larger version

Name:	Filter Crossover Setup.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	2659938  

Lumagen Radiance Pro HDR Tone Mapping Guide: Click Here

Lumagen Radiance Pro Setup & Calibration Tips: Click Here

UHD-BD Backup & Playback Guidance Link
post #4607 of 6616 Old 12-27-2019, 08:08 PM

I finally stopped staring at graphs and listened to some music and watched a movie and I am just as impressed as I hoped I would be. In my effort to get to the point where I could watch I movie I didn't get updated pictures of the build posted but I still wanted to share.

As much as I read this forum before building my theater I didn't learn my lesson completely on building in accessible wire runs EVERYWHERE. I had to cut my riser carpet and cut a hole to get to my conduit I laid but in the end all the wiring is hidden so its all good. I am happy with how the risers came out and wrapping them in velvet just help make them disappear...minus the orange labels on the JBLs which I will need to do something about eventually.

Overall this is one of the most impactful, pun intended, upgrades I have made to my theater. The added immersion is amazing. Thank you Tim and everyone else who has helped contribute to this concept. As everyone else has said before me...one you go BOSS you can't go back.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20191223_111647.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	1.95 MB
ID:	2659942   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191223_114020.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	2659944   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191223_153654.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	891.8 KB
ID:	2659946   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191223_154510.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	2659948   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191224_221304.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	2659950  

Name:	IMG_20191224_231050.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	2659952  
giomania, m0j0, trhought and 2 others like this.

JVC RS2000
post #4608 of 6616 Old 12-27-2019, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post
I set up the Behringer NX3000D amplifier and tested out the BOSS platform briefly. As everyone has posted, it is an awesome experience! I wanted to make sure I have the Behringer set up properly, as the manuals do not give you much information at all. I have collected some nuggets of information and screen shots from other users,

Here are the screen shots from the two pages in Behringer NX Edit software I took after setting up my amp.

On the configuration page, I am not sure why this is set to 16 Ohms, but that came from another screen shot example posted previously; the other options are 2, 4, 6, and 8 Ohms The 360W setting was Tim's recommendation, so I just adjusted the dBfs until Watts equaled 360. That said, 80W x 6 drivers is 480 watts, so why wouldn't I use that number?

On the Filter/Crossover page, I think I have this correct based on what @aron7awol posted [URL="https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/2991522-hideaway-theater-29.html#post57895034"]here

Thanks for any input.

Mark
Mark....Thanks for the update on your build. Great to hear you've got your BOSS fired up now and are enjoying it!

The earlier question and picture was from another BOSS builder who was setting up the power limiter on the Behringer with 3 drivers wired for 12 ohms. Since 12 ohms isn't a user selectable option, 16 ohms was used along with 360 watts which is the equivalent current as 12 ohms and 240 watts.

I saw you mentioned 6 ohms is a user selectable option. If so, select 6 ohms since that's how you have your 6 drivers wired. Then dial in 480 watts to provide each one the 80 watts needed to reach Xmax.

Having said that, you could experiment with higher settings...say 90 or even 100 watts per driver (540watts or 600 watts respectively). The 80 watts is for reaching Xmax on the JBL's. But, to reach Xmech, the drivers can take over 100 watts if you'd like to experiment. Just stay close to the gain setting and be prepared to back it down a bit if any unusual noises are heard during spirited bass demo scenes at higher main volumes.

For the power boost below 20Hz using the Behringer.....you're looking for a filter called high shelf. My guess is that filter will be located in the PEQ tab you're showing in your picture. Click on that PEQ tab and look for a filter called high shelf. Select "High Shelf", then set the gain to -4dB with a 6dB/octave slope. This negative high shelf "trick" allows Behringer users to add gain below the 20Hz limit of the Behringer DSP engine. This "trick" will flatten your BOSS response down to about 5Hz.

I would suggest removing the crossover filter you're showing for now so you can run the BOSS full bandwidth. I presume your "LPF for LFE" in the AVR is set to 80Hz. If not, find that setting in your AVR and change it to 80Hz. Then, after getting used to your BOSS and what it feels like full bandwidth, you can start to use the Behringer to lower that crossover below 80Hz if desired on the screen you're showing in your picture. Personally, I love an LPF of 80Hz straight from the AVR to run the BOSS full bandwidth when fully reclined to get all the chest slam frequencies.

Hope this helps.

Welcome to the BOSS family!
post #4609 of 6616 Old 12-27-2019, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I finally stopped staring at graphs and listened to some music and watched a movie and I am just as impressed as I hoped I would be. In my effort to get to the point where I could watch I movie I didn't get updated pictures of the build posted but I still wanted to share.

As much as I read this forum before building my theater I didn't learn my lesson completely on building in accessible wire runs EVERYWHERE. I had to cut my riser carpet and cut a hole to get to my conduit I laid but in the end all the wiring is hidden so its all good. I am happy with how the risers came out and wrapping them in velvet just help make them disappear...minus the orange labels on the JBLs which I will need to do something about eventually.

Overall this is one of the most impactful, pun intended, upgrades I have made to my theater. The added immersion is amazing. Thank you Tim and everyone else who has helped contribute to this concept. As everyone else has said before me...one you go BOSS you can't go back.
BlackHawk. Thanks for sharing pictures of your BOSS build. Looks great!

Awesome to hear you're enjoying the added immersion with your newfound BOSS TR....pretty amazing huh To this day, I continue to be amazed with my prototype BOSS platforms. With almost every movie, I feel something unexpected that brings a big smile to my face.

Regarding building theaters to be future proof....yeah, it's hard to plan for everything when building a theater. Who would have thought folks would be running speakers to their risers these days. I sure didn't when I built my theater over 20 years ago. Never know what the future will bring in this crazy hobby of ours

post #4610 of 6616 Old 12-27-2019, 10:23 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Mark....Thanks for the update on your build. Great to hear you've got your BOSS fired up now and are enjoying it!

The earlier question and picture was from another BOSS builder who was setting up the power limiter on the Behringer with 3 drivers wired for 12 ohms. Since 12 ohms isn't a user selectable option, 16 ohms was used along with 360 watts which is the equivalent current as 12 ohms and 240 watts.

I saw you mentioned 6 ohms is a user selectable option. If so, select 6 ohms since that's how you have your 6 drivers wired. Then dial in 480 watts to provide each one the 80 watts needed to reach Xmax.

Having said that, you could experiment with higher settings...say 90 or even 100 watts per driver (540watts or 600 watts respectively). The 80 watts is for reaching Xmax on the JBL's. But, to reach Xmech, the drivers can take over 100 watts if you'd like to experiment. Just stay close to the gain setting and be prepared to back it down a bit if any unusual noises are heard during spirited bass demo scenes at higher main volumes.

For the power boost below 20Hz using the Behringer.....you're looking for a filter called high shelf. My guess is that filter will be located in the PEQ tab you're showing in your picture. Click on that PEQ tab and look for a filter called high shelf. Select "High Shelf", then set the gain to -4dB with a 6dB/octave slope. This negative high shelf "trick" allows Behringer users to add gain below the 20Hz limit of the Behringer DSP engine. This "trick" will flatten your BOSS response down to about 5Hz.

I would suggest removing the crossover filter you're showing for now so you can run the BOSS full bandwidth. I presume your "LPF for LFE" in the AVR is set to 80Hz. If not, find that setting in your AVR and change it to 80Hz. Then, after getting used to your BOSS and what it feels like full bandwidth, you can start to use the Behringer to lower that crossover below 80Hz if desired on the screen you're showing in your picture. Personally, I love an LPF of 80Hz straight from the AVR to run the BOSS full bandwidth when fully reclined to get all the chest slam frequencies.

Hope this helps.

Tim,

6 Ohms was a typo, that is not an option, so I just settled on leaving Ohms blank after playing with the 8-Ohm setting to get it to 540 W, and calculating that -7.5 dBfs and 71.7 Vp equates to 360 W at 6 Ohms. I am tired, so will re-check that tomorrow to be sure.

I set the Filter / Crossover page back to the default settings, thereby removing the crossover filters. I do have my LPF for LFE set to 80 Hz in the AVP. Below is the default state of the Filter / Crossover page for reference:

Last, I did indeed find the high shelf filter on the Parametric EQ page, and set that up accordingly:

Thanks again for the assistance.

Mark

post #4611 of 6616 Old 12-28-2019, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Tim,

6 Ohms was a typo, that is not an option, so I just settled on leaving Ohms blank after playing with the 8-Ohm setting to get it to 540 W, and calculating that -7.5 dBfs and 71.7 Vp equates to 360 W at 6 Ohms. I am tired, so will re-check that tomorrow to be sure.

I set the Filter / Crossover page back to the default settings, thereby removing the crossover filters. I do have my LPF for LFE set to 80 Hz in the AVP. Below is the default state of the Filter / Crossover page for reference:

Last, I did indeed find the high shelf filter on the Parametric EQ page, and set that up accordingly:

Thanks again for the assistance.

Mark
Mark....Thanks for the update on your Behringer settings.

For the power limiter.....since 6 ohms isn't available, go ahead and use 8 ohms with a power limit of 640 watts. This provides 9 amps into the circuit which is 80 watts for each of the 6 drivers. Don't be afraid to experiment with higher power limit settings as I mentioned earlier. This power limiter is basically just an insurance policy to prevent accidental overloading and works great once you find the upper limit of your BOSS system capability.

Great to hear you're running the BOSS full bandwidth without the Behringer crossover.....I didn't see the picture but the default setting is correct.

Also good to know you found the low shelf filter in the PEQ tab and got it setup accordingly.

Enjoy!
giomania likes this.
post #4612 of 6616 Old 12-28-2019, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Mark....Thanks for the update on your Behringer settings.

For the power limiter.....since 6 ohms isn't available, go ahead and use 8 ohms with a power limit of 640 watts. This provides 9 amps into the circuit which is 80 watts for each of the 6 drivers. Don't be afraid to experiment with higher power limit settings as I mentioned earlier. This power limiter is basically just an insurance policy to prevent accidental overloading and works great once you find the upper limit of your BOSS system capability.

Great to hear you're running the BOSS full bandwidth without the Behringer crossover.....I didn't see the picture but the default setting is correct.

Also good to know you found the low shelf filter in the PEQ tab and got it setup accordingly.

Enjoy!

Thanks, you saved me some research time!

I wanted to clarify that when I set up the mini DSP to control the BOSS (based on the mini DSP filter settings that have been posted), I will be disabling the PEQ filter in the Behringer amp correct?

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

post #4613 of 6616 Old 12-28-2019, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, you saved me some research time!

I wanted to clarify that when I set up the mini DSP to control the BOSS (based on the mini DSP filter settings that have been posted), I will be disabling the PEQ filter in the Behringer amp correct?

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mark....Thanks. Keep the Behringer negative high shelf filter in place even after you add the mini into the mix later. That negative HS is basically tricking the Behringer into adding some extra power below 20Hz to keep the BOSS response flat down low. The mini-DSP will be adding boost on top of that flat line when using BEQ.

Hope this helps.
giomania likes this.
post #4614 of 6616 Old 12-28-2019, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Going to be setting up my new minidsp 2x4hd for BEQ this weekend. I have subeq and audyssey xt32 on my receiver and two subwoofers. So I’ll be connecting the two sub channels from the avr to the inputs on the mini and then the two subs to the outputs of the mini. Where should the boss be connected in this setup? To its own independent output on the mini or using a y splitter to one of the sub outputs channels? If the latter, which one of the two sub channels?
post #4615 of 6616 Old 12-29-2019, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Anyone else having signal noise through the BOSS because of a minidsp connected to a PC with usb?
post #4616 of 6616 Old 12-29-2019, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLViking2011 View Post
Going to be setting up my new minidsp 2x4hd for BEQ this weekend. I have subeq and audyssey xt32 on my receiver and two subwoofers. So I’ll be connecting the two sub channels from the avr to the inputs on the mini and then the two subs to the outputs of the mini. Where should the boss be connected in this setup? To its own independent output on the mini or using a y splitter to one of the sub outputs channels? If the latter, which one of the two sub channels?
FLViking....Thanks. I'd connect the BOSS to it's own independent output on the mini. This way, if you want to experiment with different LPF's or other filters down the road, you'll have that flexibility independent of your subwoofers.

Hope this helps.
post #4617 of 6616 Old 12-29-2019, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Quote:
Going to be setting up my new minidsp 2x4hd for BEQ this weekend. I have subeq and audyssey xt32 on my receiver and two subwoofers. So I’️ll be connecting the two sub channels from the avr to the inputs on the mini and then the two subs to the outputs of the mini. Where should the boss be connected in this setup? To its own independent output on the mini or using a y splitter to one of the sub outputs channels? If the latter, which one of the two sub channels?
FLViking....Thanks. I'd connect the BOSS to it's own independent output on the mini. This way, if you want to experiment with different LPF's or other filters down the road, you'll have that flexibility independent of your subwoofers.

Hope this helps.
Ok. Thanks. Will do. But wouldn’t the subwoofer setting from the avr get the boss to a flat setting? Please excuse my ignorance if this isn’t the case.
post #4618 of 6616 Old 12-29-2019, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok. Thanks. Will do. But wouldn’t the subwoofer setting from the avr get the boss to a flat setting? Please excuse my ignorance if this isn’t the case.
FLViking....Thanks. Running the BOSS from the mini-DSP output is the same as running it directly from your AVR like you're doing now as long as you don't have any filters entered for that output of the mini. It's basically just passing that signal through to the BOSS if no filters are added on that output.

The advantage of running the BOSS from the output of the mini instead of the output of the AVR is the BOSS will be in the BEQ mix once you start adding those BEQ filters to the input of your mini.

If you continue to have your BOSS ran directly from your AVR like today, the BEQ filters won't have any impact on the BOSS response and you'll be missing out on a lot of TR that BEQ will be adding.

Hope this helps.
post #4619 of 6616 Old 12-30-2019, 04:18 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Question for a friend. He already has a inuke 1000 with one subwoofer connected, DIY 15inch.
Is it possible to also connect a boss with for woofers on the inuke or is that not going to cut it?
post #4620 of 6616 Old 12-30-2019, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 54
After stumbling across this thread (after stumbling across the BEQ threa), I finally decided to pull the trigger on a BOSS setup. My seating is 3 Fusion Lagoons on front row, and a riser with 4 theater rockers in the rear. Immediately my plan was wrought with setbacks due to my layout and seat design.

First problem was I could only accomodate a riser of about 3" and I really didn't want to do that because my rear riser isn't very tall (10-12 inches). Plus the metal frame on the seats was such that the woofer could not extend ANY into the underside of the chair. So that plan was out pretty quickly.

After some quick measurements of the frame, I figured I could direct mount a shallow sub. But still it was tight. I love the Fusions and they are well-built, but their beefiness doesn't lend well to space for a BOSS. I ordered a 10" MB Quart sub (just one to make sure I could get it to work) and started measuring the space for a mounting board. After cutting the board and test fitting it, I could NOT get it past the metal frame of the reclining mechanism. I trimmed, cut notches, everything.

Then it occured to me that I could pre cut the board and if I could squeeze my impact driver in there I could reattach it with pocket holes, then pocket hole the whole thing to the frame. It was a long shot, but it worked! (pics below)

Hooked it up to a cheapo used NU1000 I picked up and we're off! Only had a short time to play around with it, but so far it's great! I have no comparison (other than Archaea's thoughts) to a platform type BOSS setup, but my guess is this is going to be more of the "punchy hit" bass than the "wobbling" bass some of you nuts are getting with your hovercrafts! I'm still playing around with crossovers and levels so I'm still getting it dailed in and figuring out what I like and don't like. So the plan is to do direct mount on each front recliner and nothing on the existing riser.

Ordering the remaining 2 subs today. Can't decide whether or not to get 12's or 10's.

Currently have a LPF set on my MiniDSP at 60Hz. Comments welcome and thank you to everyone for their innovation and input!

Setup:
3 HTM-12 LCR
2 Volt 8 surrounds
4 RSL C34E (not yet installed) Atmos
2 Micca M8 Atmos
4 Stereo Integrity 18" subs
Denon X4400H
Behringer iNuke NU1000
MiniDSP
Epson 3100

giomania, Archaea and trhought like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page