The Hideaway Theater - Page 165 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4381Likes

post #4921 of 5563 Old 01-14-2020, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by trhought View Post
jbarteli.....Thanks for the update on your BOSS design. Makes perfect sense. The platform flexing was allowing your tube in that location to start getting excited more easily and therefore creating a pressure wave of its own against the driver.

Clever solution!

Thanks for sharing as the "tubes as hovercraft" retrofits and designs mature.
Ok this is insane man, also put a extra couch feet at the middle isolator at the front so now I got feet at all six isolators. Started testing...... Wow, this makes such a huge difference!! It feels so good now, even more TR and more natural! It should be in de guide lines to put extra couch feet in the middle at all isolators!.

Last edited by jbarteli; 01-14-2020 at 01:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4922 of 5563 Old 01-14-2020, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 138 Post(s)
Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Liked: 1673
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellh44 View Post
Assuming you have a solid baffle under all the seats, I would think this would only be a problem if only one of the end seats is sat in. The baffle may tend to sag a little if only the middle seat is sat in, but that should mostly be a static bend and shouldn't appreciably affect the transfer of vibrations. I plan to add a couple of these C-channel stiffeners along the length of the top-side of my baffle to prevent sagging.
Darrell....Thanks. You're correct. The bouyant imbalance is maximum when only 1 side of the platform is occupied. If the middle seat is occupied only, there should be very little imbalance in the platform.

In my case, since my recliner is on the left-hand side of the sectional pieces on the front row mini-riser, it would always be imbalanced since that's my money seat now after discovering the recumbent position is a much better body position when running BOSS full band. With the individual tubes not communicating with each other this isn't so much a problem with my setup.

One thing I'm discovering with the "tubes as hovercraft"....the bending forces are much, much higher. Like orders of magnitude higher. This makes sense because the shaker force is also magnitudes higher due to the pressure forces involved.

If you're planning a "tubes as hovercraft" design, the more rigid the platform, the better. Those support channels will definitely be needed
giomania likes this.
post #4923 of 5563 Old 01-14-2020, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post
Yeah, before long we will probably have BEQ for Hovercraft with various PSI settings. After that, we will add Rasberry Pi controlled pumps to adjust said pressure. You read it here first!

Mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
We need to start sourcing quiet pumps. That way we can then script the RPi to vary the pressure during the movie to optimize on the fly for what's happening.
When @Longeze and I were brainstorming the "tubes as hovercraft" concept this past summer, he actually mentioned a PID loop for control of the inner tube inflation pressure. Being a controls engineer, maybe he could weigh-in on this topic.
giomania likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4924 of 5563 Old 01-14-2020, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarteli View Post
Ok this is insane man, also put a extra couch feet at the middle isolator at the front so now I got feet at all six isolators. Started testing...... Wow, this makes such a huge difference!! It feels so good now, even more TR and more natural! It should be in de guide lines to put extra couch feet in the middle at all isolators!.
jbarteli....Thanks for the update. I thought you added 2 additional feet for a total of 6, my bad. Yes, since the shaker forces are so much higher for each JBL now, the mini-riser BOSS platforms need to be more rigid than ever.

With the proliferation of the "tubes as hovercraft" retrofit, your're correct....I'm certainly going to have to update Post 29 to account for these tremendously higher shaker forces.
giomania likes this.
post #4925 of 5563 Old 01-14-2020, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked: 603
How's your voice doing today, Tim?

darrellh44's Home Theater
Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences

"Don't trouble Trouble until Trouble troubles you".
post #4926 of 5563 Old 01-14-2020, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
How's your voice doing today, Tim?
Thanks for asking Darrell. Better than my ears The Superdome was louder and more raucous than usual. The place erupted when President Trump and First Lady Melania took the field and stayed deafening loud for most of the game.

What an incredible experience from beginning to end!

Then, of course, we all thought we were in college again as we hit Bourbon Street into the wee hours of the morning It will take me a month to recover...

And, for the Tigers to bring home the trophy.....what a magical way to end a magical season for the Purple and Gold

GEAUX TIGERS!
darrellh44 and Lynkage like this.
post #4927 of 5563 Old 01-14-2020, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Tubes as Hovercraft Add-On

Just updated Post 29 to include the "tubes as hovercraft" BOSS add-on. It's number 9 in that Post now.

Also in Post 29, is a hyperlink to @Longeze 's original "Hovercouch" BOSS build to help members visualize what one of these "TR machines" look like with the "tubes as hovercraft".
post #4928 of 5563 Old 01-14-2020, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked: 603
Quote:
Thanks for asking Darrell. Better than my ears The Superdome was louder and more raucous than usual. The place erupted when President Trump and First Lady Melania took the field and stayed deafening loud for most of the game.

What an incredible experience from beginning to end!

Then, of course, we all thought we were in college again as we hit Bourbon Street into the wee hours of the morning It will take me a month to recover...

And, for the Tigers to bring home the trophy.....what a magical way to end a magical season for the Purple and Gold

GEAUX TIGERS!
The Superdome does get very loud, even when I've been to just regular season Saints games. Can't imagine what it was like last night. On the sports shows after the game, there was quite a bit of discussion on whether this LSU team was the greatest single-season team ever, and the greatest college quarterback ever. Both are obviously squarely in the discussion. It must have been an awesome experience.
trhought likes this.

darrellh44's Home Theater
Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences

"Don't trouble Trouble until Trouble troubles you".
post #4929 of 5563 Old 01-14-2020, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 259 Post(s)
Quoted: 3233 Post(s)
Liked: 4265
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarteli View Post

How about just adding more isolators? Wouldn’t that be easier?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser, 2 BK LFE
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
post #4930 of 5563 Old 01-14-2020, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
I've no doubt...

I'm a shoot first, ask questions later type person, so I just let it rip and see what happens.

What kind of pump are u using that has a gauge that reads as low as 6-7psi?

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser, 2 BK LFE
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
post #4931 of 5563 Old 01-14-2020, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Stoke192....Welcome aboard!

The JBL Stage S2-1224 is a very capable BOSS driver

With an Xmax of .85x the baseline JBL (10.25mm vs. 12.1mm) and an Mms of .87x the baseline JBL (155g vs. 179g), it has a shaker potential of .75x that of the baseline JBL.

It will take about 60 watts for each driver to reach Xmax in an open baffle as constructed in Post 29.

Just follow the instructions in Post 29 for the isolators, the placement of those isolators and use 3/4" plywood to keep the platform rigid.

As your BOSS design matures, just let us know of any questions.

Hope this helps!
Hi,

Thanks for the reply and the Welcome!

Another member of AVForums has mentioned these JVC Drivers, How do they compare to the JBL Stage S2- 1224's ?

JVC CS-G1210 - 1200 Watts

Key Features:
12” 30cm Subwoofer
1200 Watts Max
250 Watts RMS
Single Voice Coil 4 Ohms
Polyolefin membrane with 3D structure
Painted chassis basket made of SPCC steel
High-density foam surround
Extremely heat-resistant ABS sealing
1,106 g ferrite magnet
Faston connector
Frequency range: 25 - 25,000 Hz
Sound pressure level: 87.5 dB/W.m

Specs quoting the Xmax of an Italian website

Modello: JVC CS-G1210.
Diametro subwoofer: 30 cm (12").
Potenza MASSIMA: 1200 W.
Potenza RMS: 250 W.
Efficienza (1W/1m): 87,5 dB.
Risposta in frequenza: 25 Hz / 2500 Hz.
Frequenza di risonanza (Fs): 41 Hz.
X-max: +/- 6 mm (totale 12 mm).
Impedenza subwoofer: 4 ohm.

Some more questions if you don't mind

I was thinking of using 19mm (3/4") veneered mdf for the platform to match my existing flooring, more expensive than a sheet of ply but I've got to think of the aesthetics and WAF , Would this be suitable or better sticking with the ply ?

Also, Due to the design of the corner sofa that it's going under, I was thinking two independent platforms with two drivers in each, Would the NX1000D be sufficient to drive the 4 drivers or the NX3000D be better suited ?

Both risers/platforms would be supported by the Hudson isolators.

Thanks again for your reply
post #4932 of 5563 Old 01-14-2020, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The Superdome does get very loud, even when I've been to just regular season Saints games. Can't imagine what it was like last night. On the sports shows after the game, there was quite a bit of discussion on whether this LSU team was the greatest single-season team ever, and the greatest college quarterback ever. Both are obviously squarely in the discussion. It must have been an awesome experience.
The 180 degree change they made in just 1 year is unheard of. Especially a team like LSU who has been a defense minded team as long as I can remember.

Now, to become the premier offensive machine they were this year in just one season is a testament to Coach O and his vision in my opinion. All the new hires he made to the coaching staff supporting that vision. The new training facilities supporting that vision. The new technologies his coaching assistants brought into the program. All that was Coach O. Burrow was a one of a kind for sure and we're going to miss his leadership and experience.

I think both Burrow and this year's team will go down in the history books as one of greatest for sure if not the greatest.

Hopefully we can keep the coaching staff in place and continue more of the same next year. I think other programs have taken note and it will be interesting to see which ones follow a similar strategy going forward.

Can't wait for the 20/21 season!
darrellh44 likes this.
post #4933 of 5563 Old 01-14-2020, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imureh View Post
How about just adding more isolators? Wouldn’t that be easier?
Ray....Thanks. Great question. I'm estimating the shaking force to be in the neighborhood of 100-150 lbs based on some calculations of bending I've measured on a single layer of 3/4" plywood.

With this kind of force moving upwards and downwards, unfortunately, the isolators by themselves aren't adequate to stop the bending because the platform is basically being lifted off the isolators.

By sandwiching the isolator between the legs of the couch and the floor below, the platform can't move any more. This minimizes bending significantly and keeps the BOSS platform moving all as one piece as originally designed.

Post 29 was updated earlier today and I added number 9 to that post to try to explain this a little bit better.

As always, keep the great questions coming about this new and powerful BOSS add-on
post #4934 of 5563 Old 01-14-2020, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke192 View Post
Hi,

Thanks for the reply and the Welcome!

Another member of AVForums has mentioned these JVC Drivers, How do they compare to the JBL Stage S2- 1224's ?

JVC CS-G1210 - 1200 Watts

Key Features:
12” 30cm Subwoofer
1200 Watts Max
250 Watts RMS
Single Voice Coil 4 Ohms
Polyolefin membrane with 3D structure
Painted chassis basket made of SPCC steel
High-density foam surround
Extremely heat-resistant ABS sealing
1,106 g ferrite magnet
Faston connector
Frequency range: 25 - 25,000 Hz
Sound pressure level: 87.5 dB/W.m

Specs quoting the Xmax of an Italian website

Modello: JVC CS-G1210.
Diametro subwoofer: 30 cm (12").
Potenza MASSIMA: 1200 W.
Potenza RMS: 250 W.
Efficienza (1W/1m): 87,5 dB.
Risposta in frequenza: 25 Hz / 2500 Hz.
Frequenza di risonanza (Fs): 41 Hz.
X-max: +/- 6 mm (totale 12 mm).
Impedenza subwoofer: 4 ohm.

Some more questions if you don't mind

I was thinking of using 19mm (3/4") veneered mdf for the platform to match my existing flooring, more expensive than a sheet of ply but I've got to think of the aesthetics and WAF , Would this be suitable or better sticking with the ply ?

Also, Due to the design of the corner sofa that it's going under, I was thinking two independent platforms with two drivers in each, Would the NX1000D be sufficient to drive the 4 drivers or the NX3000D be better suited ?

Both risers/platforms would be supported by the Hudson isolators.

Thanks again for your reply
Stoke....Thanks for the additional details.

The JVC CS1210 has a shaker potential of .42x that of the baseline JBL. It will take about 50 watts to power each one to reach Xmax.

For either this driver or the earlier JBL S2-1224, the NX1000D would drive 2 of either of them just fine for a BOSS setup.

For the platform, I'd recommend staying with plywood. MDF is prone to moisture and will eventually lose it's rigidity over time with the stresses it will see with a BOSS setup.

When you mention your corner sofa...if it's one piece, I'd recommend keeping it all on 1 platform. If it's 2 separate pieces, then it's OK to have a platform under each one. There's a diagram in Post 29 showing examples of "good" platform designs and "not so good" platform designs to give a visual what I'm talking about as far as using separate platforms under 1 piece of furniture.

Hope this helps.

As always, keep the questions coming as your design comes into focus.
Stoke192 likes this.
post #4935 of 5563 Old 01-14-2020, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 948 Post(s)
Liked: 900
I stop checking in on this thread for a while and i miss using an air tube as a hovercraft! Wtf? Guess i’ll be buying some air tubes now!

I have 15” drivers so a 16” tube won’t work - I’m not up to date on all the details, will this one be fine?

https://www.amazon.com/3-00-21-Motor...9053727&sr=8-3

Last edited by SteveCallas; 01-14-2020 at 07:03 PM.
post #4936 of 5563 Old 01-14-2020, 07:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1077 Post(s)
Liked: 1445
Quote:
Originally Posted by imureh View Post
What kind of pump are u using that has a gauge that reads as low as 6-7psi?

This one, though I don’t know if it’s still available. I got it on sale.

https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B07CNDDYRR
post #4937 of 5563 Old 01-14-2020, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This one, though I don’t know if it’s still available. I got it on sale.

https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B07CNDDYRR

I have a auto tire inflator but I ordered a hand pump as well since I want to leave pipes connect to the tubes for inflating later without moving the seating or the platform. The auto inflator won’t work in the room.

post #4938 of 5563 Old 01-14-2020, 07:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just reporting back on my experience with the tube retrofitted. I find that one of my two BOSS platforms is a little bouncier than the other, so I have been comparing and find I prefer the one that is less bouncy (though it is still bouncier than before the tubes, it is not overly bouncy). So, for those giving this a try, I would recommend you start out a bit less inflated and test, then add more air and test again, then when you find a good psi level, secure the tubes to your BOSS.
trhought likes this.
post #4939 of 5563 Old 01-14-2020, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post
I stop checking in on this thread for a while and i miss using an air tube as a hovercraft! Wtf? Guess i’ll be buying some air tubes now!

I have 15” drivers so a 16” tube won’t work - I’m not up to date on all the details, will this one be fine?

https://www.amazon.com/3-00-21-Motor...9053727&sr=8-3
Steve....Thanks for stopping by. The tubes are still pretty new to the BOSS world as we know it. There's only been a few of us so far that have tried them and there's still a lot of learning going on.

Having said that, the idea is to create a small sealed volume for the BOSS driver that can be pressurized easily as the cone is moving up and down. This pressure does 2 things, 1) it creates a tremendous amount of shaker force both up and down....i.e.; the area inside the ID of the inner tube times whatever pressure/vacuum is being generated and 2) that pressure/vacuum makes the cavity expand and contract easily because of the very pliable rubber side walls of the inner tube.

The combination of both of these result in tremendously more TR than the normal open baffle drivers do by themselves.

So, it depends on the ID of those 21" tubes when inflated....just make sure the ID is larger than the OD of your 15" BOSS drivers. Also, those tubes linked are for 2.75-3" wide tires. What most of us have tried so far are bicycle tires ranging from 1.5-2.125" wide. You only want the tube to raise your platform about 3/4" of an inch or so when loaded down. This makes the rubber isolators not compress as much and makes the platform more "floaty". I've found once this pressure is reached, the tubes deliver about 100% more displacement than the baseline open baffle arrangement using the baseline JBL's with 80 watts.

With those tubes linked being for wider tires, that means they will be squished even more to get to the 3/4" height. This will make them even fatter which will make its ID smaller. Just wanted to mention that as you're measuring the OD of your 15" drivers and comparing to the ID of the tubes....just make sure to account for this added squishing.

Also, since the baffle is no longer open, the BOSS drivers can be pushed with even more power providing even more displacement and TR as a result. I haven't measured just how much more displacement with higher JBL power because the displacement becomes very high, very fast and messes up the scaling on the instrumentation.

It's also worth noting, this amount of TR can be lots of fun, but can also be a bit much depending on the movie. It basically makes the BOSS platform a lot more sensitive and capable of delivering excursions which can sometime be distracting and, quite frankly, mildly painful especially when the frequencies are around 10Hz or so.

The beauty of the tubes are 1) They can be slipped under any mini-riser BOSS platform for easy experimenting 2) The pressure can be changed easily which affects how much bounce you like 3) The feeling is still very natural staying true to the BOSS roots 4) Surprisingly, no additional SPL has been noticed but I haven't measured either and 5) If you don't like the extra TR, simply remove and don't use them anymore

Personally, I've been using mine for about a month now and am still undecided. Sometimes, I love what they bring to the table, especially for action films and kick drums. But, because of the added sensitivity, they sometimes can be overpowering when the source material doesn't call for it and becomes a distraction at that point. Still trying to find a balance.

With your setup, this may be the perfect addition to your theater.

The last 4 or 5 pages of this thread have some videos that members have shared showing the "tubes as hovecraft" retrofits to their existing platforms if interested.

Happy experimenting!
post #4940 of 5563 Old 01-14-2020, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just reporting back on my experience with the tube retrofitted. I find that one of my two BOSS platforms is a little bouncier than the other, so I have been comparing and find I prefer the one that is less bouncy (though it is still bouncier than before the tubes, it is not overly bouncy). So, for those giving this a try, I would recommend you start out a bit less inflated and test, then add more air and test again, then when you find a good psi level, secure the tubes to your BOSS.
Thanks for the update m0j0. I'll have to try different pressures also. Been trying different power levels and have been having some success with striking a balance. It's not as easy as the original BOSS for sure which was basically set and forget. Maybe I'm just being too picky or have gotten so used to my old setup that it's taking some time to acclimate

It certainly been a fun ride though .....we re-watched the last 20 minutes of Black Panther tonight as I remembered that scene being very active with the original BOSS. What a difference the tubes made. It was insane with the hovercraft BOSS....especially when the rhinos come onto the screen. We were laughing out loud as we bounced around in the front row
post #4941 of 5563 Old 01-14-2020, 10:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 948 Post(s)
Liked: 900
@TRTHOUGHT
So i want to inflate the tubes to the point where my platform elevates a bit from its current resting position, but not so much that the existing iso feet stop touching the ground, correct? The iso feet should still touch the ground, but with almost zero compression, yes?

I’ve got an inuke 6000 x 4 powering my BOSS drivers, so plenty of power on tap, and my platforms are 3 layers of 3/4 plywood thick, so plenty rigid.

Do you do anything to seal/adhere the tube to the underside of the platform, or even to keep it in place, or do you just rely on the weight of the platform?

Have you had to reinflate the tube after time?

Last edited by SteveCallas; 01-15-2020 at 06:27 AM.
post #4942 of 5563 Old 01-15-2020, 12:16 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
We need to start sourcing quiet pumps. That way we can then script the RPi to vary the pressure during the movie to optimize on the fly for what's happening.

How about starting at a low pressure so everything is resting on the isolators and feels nice and solid for everyone sitting down. Then as the movie starts, gradually bring up the pressure without anyone noticing until you get to full impact. As the credits roll, a nice gradual lowering back to solid ground.
post #4943 of 5563 Old 01-15-2020, 01:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked: 2548
Talking

You guys, you know if this keeps up this is what next year's BOSS build will look like.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iu.jpeg
Views:	125
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	2670224  
giomania, m0j0, trhought and 4 others like this.

#IHateNalleh
The struggle is real for Generation Xplain Digital to the Analog and Analog to the Digital.
Klipsch RF-7III, RC-64III
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
Sony 85X900F, Denon 8500, nVidia Shield, Apple TV
post #4944 of 5563 Old 01-15-2020, 05:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the update m0j0. I'll have to try different pressures also. Been trying different power levels and have been having some success with striking a balance. It's not as easy as the original BOSS for sure which was basically set and forget. Maybe I'm just being too picky or have gotten so used to my old setup that it's taking some time to acclimate

It certainly been a fun ride though .....we re-watched the last 20 minutes of Black Panther tonight as I remembered that scene being very active with the original BOSS. What a difference the tubes made. It was insane with the hovercraft BOSS....especially when the rhinos come onto the screen. We were laughing out loud as we bounced around in the front row

Yeah, it is harder to dial in for sure, but worth it as there is way more TR available. I was watching Alita last night, and compared to before, when I would get a good punch and wobble, but now I get a much more powerful TR vibration like sensation, which really surprised me.
post #4945 of 5563 Old 01-15-2020, 05:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1399 Post(s)
Liked: 2096
Have a question, and may ask in the other thread, for those with a NX3000D, using 1 channel.. I do not think I have my NX3000D configures right . First problem is that is came with a 240 plug...Finally got a transformer, and now working, but fan is loud. JBL's not working, need to check wires, so I wired the MB Quart 304, and finally got the NX3000D to power the woofer, but the gain is at max. I will re-try to run the configuration for NX3000D tonight, and see what. I thought that I configured for 300W.
Thanks, Russ.
post #4946 of 5563 Old 01-15-2020, 05:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1399 Post(s)
Liked: 2096
Heck of a game @trhought! That number 9 WOW! Number 1 and number 22 were on point as well. The defense stepped up too!
post #4947 of 5563 Old 01-15-2020, 06:09 AM

[quote=trhought;59100552]
Quote:
Hi,

Stoke....Thanks for the additional details.

The JVC CS1210 has a shaker potential of .42x that of the baseline JBL. It will take about 50 watts to power each one to reach Xmax.

For either this driver or the earlier JBL S2-1224, the NX1000D would drive 2 of either of them just fine for a BOSS setup.

For the platform, I'd recommend staying with plywood. MDF is prone to moisture and will eventually lose it's rigidity over time with the stresses it will see with a BOSS setup.

When you mention your corner sofa...if it's one piece, I'd recommend keeping it all on 1 platform. If it's 2 separate pieces, then it's OK to have a platform under each one. There's a diagram in Post 29 showing examples of "good" platform designs and "not so good" platform designs to give a visual what I'm talking about as far as using separate platforms under 1 piece of furniture.

Hope this helps.

As always, keep the questions coming as your design comes into focus. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Hi,
Thanks for the reply,

If I’m honest I don’t really understand the figures you quoting me, as this is all new to me.

I’ve generally been plug, calibrate and play type of guy and only now just started to go down the rabbit hole of this hobby 😉

Out of the two drivers I’ve mentioned which would you say is the better driver for a BOSS ? JBL or JVC ?
Both drivers are readily available to myself, So ready to pull the trigger on 4 of which you thinks best 🙂.

I’ll take your advice regarding the ply vs mdf, I’ll contact my local supplier and see what veneer ply is available.

Thanks again 🙂

Last edited by Stoke192; 01-29-2020 at 10:51 AM.
post #4948 of 5563 Old 01-15-2020, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizrussspike View Post
Have a question, and may ask in the other thread, for those with a NX3000D, using 1 channel.. I do not think I have my NX3000D configures right . First problem is that is came with a 240 plug...Finally got a transformer, and now working, but fan is loud. JBL's not working, need to check wires, so I wired the MB Quart 304, and finally got the NX3000D to power the woofer, but the gain is at max. I will re-try to run the configuration for NX3000D tonight, and see what. I thought that I configured for 300W.
Thanks, Russ.

Are you running on bridge mode? Also are you using Speakon connectors?

post #4949 of 5563 Old 01-15-2020, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1505 Post(s)
Liked: 1988
Quote:
Hi,
Thanks for the reply,

If I’m honest I don’t really understand the figures you quoting me, as this is all new to me.

I’ve generally been plug, calibrate and play type of guy and only now just started to go down the rabbit hole of this hobby 😉

Out of the two drivers I’ve mentioned which would you say is the better driver for a BOSS ? JBL or JVC ?
Both drivers are readily available to myself, So ready to pull the trigger on 4 of which you thinks best 🙂.

I’ll take your advice regarding the ply vs mdf, I’ll contact my local supplier and see what veneer ply is available.

Thanks again 🙂

He's saying the JBL Stage S2-1224 is ~75% as powerful as the JBL driver in the original BOSS design, and the JVC CS1210 is ~42% as powerful
Stoke192 likes this.
post #4950 of 5563 Old 01-15-2020, 08:05 AM

@richardsim7

Thanks for the reply, looks like the JBL’s will offer better performance then.

I’ll get them ordered tonight.

Thanks

Last edited by Stoke192; 01-29-2020 at 10:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page