The Hideaway Theater - Page 166 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4649Likes

post #4951 of 5944 Old 01-15-2020, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1445 Post(s)
Liked: 2154
Quote:
Originally Posted by imureh View Post
Are you running on bridge mode? Also are you using Speakon connectors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No Sir @imureh. I am running dual stereo(?), using a 2 pole Speakon connector. Should I be running bridged mode.
I will be running 3 JBL's for this. Also,
Once I configure this with USB into the PC with the NX3000D, I should be able to load and save, and then do done for initial set up?
Thanks, Russ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4952 of 5944 Old 01-15-2020, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 367
"Honey, what are we doing with this air mattress? We just bought a new sofa!"
"The mattress is going UNDERNEATH the sofa, it will enhance the BASS"
wife:

m0j0, trhought and Bnaan like this.

A Star Is Born - Lady Gaga goes Rock Audio&Video by Ocean Studios (me)
SKHorn Build
Samsung KS7500 - Marantz NR1504 - Klipsch R-26F - Klipsch R-25C - Klipsch R-15M - SKHorn (on FP-13000 clone)
Bass EQ for Filtered Video Games
post #4953 of 5944 Old 01-15-2020, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1185 Post(s)
Liked: 1752
I just ordered another four tubes and am going to try mounting them at the back of the BOSS mini riser directly behind the tubes around the JBL's to see what that does. I am thinking it will help keep everything more even and perhaps keep the iso's in the back from being used by the platform, making it truly just the tubes coming in contact with the ground. Will report back if it had any affect or not once I get them and test it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4954 of 5944 Old 01-15-2020, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 1040 Post(s)
Liked: 2697
Quote:
Originally Posted by peniku8 View Post
"Honey, what are we doing with this air mattress? We just bought a new sofa!"
"The mattress is going UNDERNEATH the sofa, it will enhance the BASS"
Thanks, that just got me thinking. I had joked about using an air mattress awhile back but I'm thinking now that it might be the solution to my sizing issue. Since I have 2 cavities that are about 13x16" next to each other framed by 2x4 and 2x6s it might work to put the mattress under the framing. It'll give a little bit bigger cavity than an inner tube around the driver but it might work. It's mostly sealed to pressurize. I can calk the seam between the plywood and frame too. 🤔

#IHateNalleh
The struggle is real for Generation Xplain Digital to the Analog and Analog to the Digital.
Klipsch RF-7III, RC-64III
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
Sony 85X900F, Denon 8500, nVidia Shield, Apple TV
post #4955 of 5944 Old 01-15-2020, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by five9dak View Post
PM received but I cannot reply. Just the isolators please. Your price is more than fair, I can paypal you plus fees if you send your email address.
Tagging @LastButNotLeast Hope that works. Sorry to keep cluttering up the thread, I don't want to get in trouble for spamming just to have posts to be able to use the PM system.
post #4956 of 5944 Old 01-15-2020, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by trhought View Post
Stoke....Thanks for the additional details.

The JVC CS1210 has a shaker potential of .42x that of the baseline JBL. It will take about 50 watts to power each one to reach Xmax.

For either this driver or the earlier JBL S2-1224, the NX1000D would drive 2 of either of them just fine for a BOSS setup.

For the platform, I'd recommend staying with plywood. MDF is prone to moisture and will eventually lose it's rigidity over time with the stresses it will see with a BOSS setup.

When you mention your corner sofa...if it's one piece, I'd recommend keeping it all on 1 platform. If it's 2 separate pieces, then it's OK to have a platform under each one. There's a diagram in Post 29 showing examples of "good" platform designs and "not so good" platform designs to give a visual what I'm talking about as far as using separate platforms under 1 piece of furniture.

Hope this helps.

As always, keep the questions coming as your design comes into focus.
I'm interested to know how you worked this out. I see xmax is part of the equation then Mms. But I cant find any stats on the Mms for the JVC. Did you work this out or?
post #4957 of 5944 Old 01-15-2020, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Quoted: 3309 Post(s)
Liked: 4381
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizrussspike View Post
No Sir @imureh. I am running dual stereo(?), using a 2 pole Speakon connector. Should I be running bridged mode.
I will be running 3 JBL's for this. Also,
Once I configure this with USB into the PC with the NX3000D, I should be able to load and save, and then do done for initial set up?
Thanks, Russ
Russ, running them in bridged mode will direct more power to the JBLs. For this however your JBLs will need to be wired in series and of course the speakon changed as well. Also if you have a minidsp you can do all the configuring in there. You will however need the PC to connect to the amp to configure DEQ etc if you wanted to

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser, 2 BK LFE
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
post #4958 of 5944 Old 01-15-2020, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1161 Post(s)
Liked: 1718
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post
@TRTHOUGHT
So i want to inflate the tubes to the point where my platform elevates a bit from its current resting position, but not so much that the existing iso feet stop touching the ground, correct? The iso feet should still touch the ground, but with almost zero compression, yes?

I’ve got an inuke 6000 x 4 powering my BOSS drivers, so plenty of power on tap, and my platforms are 3 layers of 3/4 plywood thick, so plenty rigid.

Do you do anything to seal/adhere the tube to the underside of the platform, or even to keep it in place, or do you just rely on the weight of the platform?

Have you had to reinflate the tube after time?
Yep...just inflate until the isolators are barely compressed without anyone sitting on the platform to start with. Then you can add or reduce pressure to see how it changes the experience and what you like best.

Nothing is needed to keep the tubes in place. The friction forces are plenty enough to keep them from moving around. I just simply tilted my mini-riser up and slide the tubes underneath by feel. You can probably do the same thing with your individual chair platforms.

Those with larger mini-risers don't have this luxury and typically have to lift the entire platform up to get underneath and place the tubes. In this case, something is needed to keep the tubes located until the platform is lowered back down again. That's why straps are shown in some pictures to keep them in place until the platform can be lowered back down onto the floor. Once it's on the floor, the tubes aren't going anywhere.

I've had mine for about 5 weeks now with no need to re-inflate. The gap between the bottom of the plywood and the floor is staying the same so far...surprisingly.
post #4959 of 5944 Old 01-15-2020, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
You guys, you know if this keeps up this is what next year's BOSS build will look like.

Wait a minute....how'd you get that picture already....it wasn't supposed to be released yet
DesertDog and richardsim7 like this.
post #4960 of 5944 Old 01-15-2020, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizrussspike View Post
Heck of a game @trhought! That number 9 WOW! Number 1 and number 22 were on point as well. The defense stepped up too!
Thanks lizrussspike! They started hitting on all cylinders for sure. I was a bit nervous after the first quarter. But once LSU tweaked their defense and offense, they started looking like the team we've seen all year Gotta give Clemson some serious props for having an awesome game plan coming into the game. That, and they were fired up big time! Both teams are going to be tough again next year. Will be fun to watch!
post #4961 of 5944 Old 01-15-2020, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke192 View Post
Hi,
Thanks for the reply,

If I’m honest I don’t really understand the figures you quoting me, as this is all new to me.

I’ve generally been plug, calibrate and play type of guy and only now just started to go down the rabbit hole of this hobby 😉

Out of the two drivers I’ve mentioned which would you say is the better driver for a BOSS ? JBL or JVC ?
Both drivers are readily available to myself, So ready to pull the trigger on 4 of which you thinks best 🙂.

I’ll take your advice regarding the ply vs mdf, I’ll contact my local supplier and see what veneer ply is available.

Thanks again 🙂
Stoke....Thanks. I modeled that driver in WinISD to get the power requirements in an open baffle using the T/S parameter here.

The shaker potential is .42x when combining the Xmax of .5x (6 mm vs. 12 mm for the JBL) and Mms of .85x (152g vs. 179 g for the JBL).

The S2-1224 has a shaker potential of .74x while the CS G1210 has a shaker potential of .42x. The higher the shaker potential the better for a BOSS. So, I'd recommend the S2-1224 if it's available and has a good price.

Hope this helps.
Stoke192 likes this.
post #4962 of 5944 Old 01-15-2020, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 367
I wonder who'll be the first to install seat belts on his theater chairs.
tortelvis, m0j0, DesertDog and 1 others like this.

A Star Is Born - Lady Gaga goes Rock Audio&Video by Ocean Studios (me)
SKHorn Build
Samsung KS7500 - Marantz NR1504 - Klipsch R-26F - Klipsch R-25C - Klipsch R-15M - SKHorn (on FP-13000 clone)
Bass EQ for Filtered Video Games
post #4963 of 5944 Old 01-15-2020, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
I just ordered another four tubes and am going to try mounting them at the back of the BOSS mini riser directly behind the tubes around the JBL's to see what that does. I am thinking it will help keep everything more even and perhaps keep the iso's in the back from being used by the platform, making it truly just the tubes coming in contact with the ground. Will report back if it had any affect or not once I get them and test it out.
If you're seeking more TR, I think you'll find a nice increase since the platform will be even more floaty! Based on my measurements, "tubes as isolators added 50% more displacement. "tubes as hovercraft" added 100% more displacement when keeping the power at 80 watts with the baseline JBL's. Using both tube alignments together should combine quite nicely for even more displacement

Looking forward to hearing your impressions....just keep your laptop and remotes off the couch

Funny story....last night during the Black Panther scene I mentioned earlier, my Logitech remote kept going back to the setup screen for some reason and was losing what scene it was supposed to be in. That's never happened before and I can only attribute it to the vibrations it was getting when it was in my lap during that scene. It happened twice, then I realized it might be the BOSS. Once I placed it on the table next to me, it didn't happen again.
m0j0 likes this.
post #4964 of 5944 Old 01-15-2020, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicj1 View Post
I'm interested to know how you worked this out. I see xmax is part of the equation then Mms. But I cant find any stats on the Mms for the JVC. Did you work this out or?
magicj1....Thanks. I posted the link to the user manual for the JVC a couple posts above to Stoke. That user manual has the T/S parameters.

Hope this helps.
post #4965 of 5944 Old 01-15-2020, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peniku8 View Post
I wonder who'll be the first to install seat belts on his theater chairs.
My 5 point racing harness is coming in the mail
m0j0 likes this.
post #4966 of 5944 Old 01-15-2020, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
magicj1....Thanks. I posted the link to the user manual for the JVC a couple posts above to Stoke. That user manual has the T/S parameters.

Hope this helps.

It does, cheers. The spec I read for the JVC was 6mm xmax 'one way', total 12mm?

Technical features:
Model: JVC CS-G1210.
Subwoofer diameter: 30 cm (12 ").
MAXIMUM power: 1200 W.
RMS power: 250 W.
Efficiency (1W / 1m): 87.5 dB.
Frequency response: 25 Hz / 2500 Hz.
Resonant frequency (Fs): 41 Hz.
X-max: +/- 6 mm (total 12 mm).
Subwoofer impedance: 4 ohms.
post #4967 of 5944 Old 01-15-2020, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It does, cheers. The spec I read for the JVC was 6mm xmax 'one way', total 12mm?

Technical features:
Model: JVC CS-G1210.
Subwoofer diameter: 30 cm (12 ").
MAXIMUM power: 1200 W.
RMS power: 250 W.
Efficiency (1W / 1m): 87.5 dB.
Frequency response: 25 Hz / 2500 Hz.
Resonant frequency (Fs): 41 Hz.
X-max: +/- 6 mm (total 12 mm).
Subwoofer impedance: 4 ohms.
Correct....the industry standard for the Xmax measurement is one way and that's what WinISD uses also....so 6mm Xmax for the JVC CSG1210
magicj1 likes this.
post #4968 of 5944 Old 01-15-2020, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 1040 Post(s)
Liked: 2697
Quote:
Wait a minute....how'd you get that picture already....it wasn't supposed to be released yet
It's not that hard to get your wife talking...
trhought likes this.

#IHateNalleh
The struggle is real for Generation Xplain Digital to the Analog and Analog to the Digital.
Klipsch RF-7III, RC-64III
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
Sony 85X900F, Denon 8500, nVidia Shield, Apple TV
post #4969 of 5944 Old 01-15-2020, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
It's not that hard to get your wife talking...
That wasn't my wife. You have the 'red herring' photo.
DesertDog likes this.
post #4970 of 5944 Old 01-15-2020, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1445 Post(s)
Liked: 2154
@ imureh, would that require a 4 post SPEAKON connector, and would I really need to do that? If I configured each JBL to receive 80 each, would not that be 240 total @ 4ohms? Need to read some more, before I end up frustrated. Should look up series wiring as well!!
post #4971 of 5944 Old 01-15-2020, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1534 Post(s)
Liked: 2048
Quote:
Correct....the industry standard for the Xmax measurement is one way and that's what WinISD uses also....so 6mm Xmax for the JVC CSG1210

Ah, so when my sub says it has an Xmax of 33mm it'll move 66mm total?
magicj1 likes this.
post #4972 of 5944 Old 01-15-2020, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
@trhought , you wrote about how the hoverboard suspension provides significanly more displacement and “the shaker force of each JBL is multiplied exponentially.”
You sort of replied to my concerns earlier, but I’d like to make sure that the hoverboard approach is doable in my case.

My intented platform (approx. 4’ x 8’ with 4 x JBL GT15-12) is supposed to end up in a large, open layout type room, on the second floor, as close as possible to three (in this case),
weightbearing walls. I am slightly worried however about the long term effects of these vibrations on the structures below me , and that isolation here, might be more critical than
if I’d been able to just put the platform on the ground floor. But this is not possible for now. Maybe I’m worrying for nothing. But still, it will be a dynamic load of approx. 336 lbs,
vibrating at single/double digit Hz, for a few hours a week or so.

Should I just try to increase the dampening for this platform further, or forget about the hoverboard approach in this situation altogether?

Looking at the Hudson 2.5” iso specs, it says “Ideal for 50- 100lb components”. Eight or so of these should be more than enough for this weight and platform size.
The room I’m in has wooden flooring. I can maybe first lay down some rubber tiles or mat on top of that. Will increasing isolation beyond that still have an effect?

I’m thinking about putting these between the rubber floor mat and the 2.5” isolators+tubes: https://www.diversitech.com/en-US/item/id/2445
Something like this maybe:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2l1mn0hzdi...ation.jpg?dl=0
post #4973 of 5944 Old 01-15-2020, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardsim7 View Post
Probably.....if it's a reputable manufacturer. That would be 33 mm out of the cabinet and 33 mm into the cabinet. But, you'd have to confirm this with the sub manufacturer to be sure. Some like to purposely not specify 1-way or 2-way for marketing reasons.
richardsim7 likes this.
post #4974 of 5944 Old 01-15-2020, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willem81 View Post
@trhought , you wrote about how the hoverboard suspension provides significanly more displacement and “the shaker force of each JBL is multiplied exponentially.”
You sort of replied to my concerns earlier, but I’d like to make sure that the hoverboard approach is doable in my case.

My intented platform (approx. 4’ x 8’ with 4 x JBL GT15-12) is supposed to end up in a large, open layout type room, on the second floor, as close as possible to three (in this case),
weightbearing walls. I am slightly worried however about the long term effects of these vibrations on the structures below me , and that isolation here, might be more critical than
if I’d been able to just put the platform on the ground floor. But this is not possible for now. Maybe I’m worrying for nothing. But still, it will be a dynamic load of approx. 336 lbs,
vibrating at single/double digit Hz, for a few hours a week or so.

Should I just try to increase the dampening for this platform further, or forget about the hoverboard approach in this situation altogether?

Looking at the Hudson 2.5” iso specs, it says “Ideal for 50- 100lb components”. Eight or so of these should be more than enough for this weight and platform size.
The room I’m in has wooden flooring. I can maybe first lay down some rubber tiles or mat on top of that. Will increasing isolation beyond that still have an effect?

I’m thinking about putting these between the rubber floor mat and the 2.5” isolators+tubes: https://www.diversitech.com/en-US/item/id/2445
Something like this maybe:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2l1mn0hzdi...ation.jpg?dl=0
William....your concerns are valid. There will be a lot of moving mass on your floor when the BOSS is moving your platform and everyone else on top of it.

It really depends on where the BOSS platform will be placed relative to your floor spans. If it's in the middle of the room, the floor will certainly flex more with everyone on top of it bouncing up and down....regardless if there's isolation pads below your BOSS or no isolation pads, that force has to go somewhere. Those isolation pads would help with the higher frequency content but won't do anything for the low frequency content which is what the BOSS will be producing.

If your BOSS platform is closer to the walls, there won't be as much flexing of the floor up and down because you will no longer be at the mid-span of your floor.

A good test would be to stand where your BOSS platform will be in the room and just start moving your body up and down quickly by bending your knees. If your floor is flexing a lot when doing this, then it could cause a problem long term with the occupants below you. If you're just worried about structural damage below with the floor flexing, I don't think there will be nearly enough energy to cause any damage.

Hope this helps.
post #4975 of 5944 Old 01-15-2020, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Probably.....if it's a reputable manufacturer. That would be 33 mm out of the cabinet and 33 mm into the cabinet. But, you'd have to confirm this with the sub manufacturer to be sure. Some like to purposely not specify 1-way or 2-way for marketing reasons.

Given the results, I believe them
post #4976 of 5944 Old 01-15-2020, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Thanks for your take on this! I will take everything into consideration going forward.
post #4977 of 5944 Old 01-15-2020, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Flipping heck! What sub are you running Rich? My IB's have 34mm xmax
richardsim7 likes this.
post #4978 of 5944 Old 01-15-2020, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Flipping heck! What sub are you running Rich? My IB's have 34mm xmax

Two of these, sealed cubes, tiny room, more info here
magicj1 likes this.
post #4979 of 5944 Old 01-15-2020, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Stoke....Thanks. I modeled that driver in WinISD to get the power requirements in an open baffle using the T/S parameter .

The shaker potential is .42x when combining the Xmax of .5x (6 mm vs. 12 mm for the JBL) and Mms of .85x (152g vs. 179 g for the JBL).

The S2-1224 has a shaker potential of .74x while the CS G1210 has a shaker potential of .42x. The higher the shaker potential the better for a BOSS. So, I'd recommend the S2-1224 if it's available and has a good price.

Hope this helps.
Thanks to both yourself and @richardsim7 for the explanation, 4 of the JBL S2-1224's are now on order!
I'm going to order the NX3000D, probably a bit ott for my build, but you don't know what's round the corner once you start down the rabbit hole

Just need to source some beech veneer ply for the platform and we should be good to go

Thanks Again!

EDIT : Link removed due to post count not being high enough.
paulst and richardsim7 like this.
post #4980 of 5944 Old 01-15-2020, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Two of these, sealed cubes, tiny room, more info here
Holy macaroni. x 2 Awesome. Must punch you out the park! Great thread

I'm going to have to re think my possible BOSS build having got my figures wrong
richardsim7 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page