The Hideaway Theater - Page 178 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4698Likes

post #5311 of 5992 Old 02-09-2020, 03:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarteli View Post
I use John wick 2 the tunnel scene and 3 the end fight. Also 13 soldiers the shootout at the villa.
War of the worlds pod scene is also good.
Thanks, I'll give them a go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5312 of 5992 Old 02-09-2020, 03:23 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Liked: 2638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke192 View Post
1” Ply (2 sheets), Hudson isolators (16) and assorted cables.
Next step: bicycle tubes. HoverBOSS time in the UK!
Michael
m0j0 likes this.
post #5313 of 5992 Old 02-09-2020, 03:39 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
Next step: bicycle tubes. HoverBOSS time in the UK!
Michael
Yeah, I was thinking about that when I was putting it together, The Sofa's got to come off again! to do the final finish, I'll put some around the drivers then

It's pretty decent so far, Without, It'll be interesting to see what it's like with them!

Thanks
m0j0 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5314 of 5992 Old 02-09-2020, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post
Since we are talking gain dial settings, I will try again. I am using bridge mode set up with NX Edit and am wondering why it works given the attached photo, but it must be because I used NX Edit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Ferguson View Post
please be aware the front knobs are not gain control, they are input attenuation. gain control is via the software controls.
Thanks for the response. I looked closer at the "manual", and found the below description about the input controls on the front. I am guessing that it is clear to those with more experience in audio than I have that this is input signal attenuation.

INPUT CONTROLS adjust the input level. To increase signal gain, rotate the knobs clockwise; to reduce the gain, rotate the knobs counter-clockwise.

Interestingly, these controls are only addressed in the Getting started section for the NX3000 (not the NX300D):

Adjust the INPUT CONTROLS to set the input levels. If the LIMIT LEDs light up continuously,
lower the INPUT CONTROLS until the LIMIT LEDs only light occasionally. This level should give you
the best balance between signal strength and amp headroom.

Since I am using bridged mode (only channel A), that must be why I set the input level gain on channel A all the way counter-clockwise. It seems like I just need to follow through with the setup and adjust it until the limit LEDs only light occasionally, like stated above. There was a lot going on at the time I set this up, and since it was working, I just neglected this portion of the setup.

Does anyone have any guidance on what kind of signal input I can use (with REW) to make this adjustment?

Thanks again for the guidance.

Mark

Lumagen Radiance Pro HDR Tone Mapping Guide: Click Here

Lumagen Radiance Pro Setup & Calibration Tips: Click Here

UHD-BD Backup & Playback Guidance Link
post #5315 of 5992 Old 02-09-2020, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:
I use John wick 2 the tunnel scene and 3 the end fight. Also 13 soldiers the shootout at the villa.
War of the worlds pod scene is also good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicj1 View Post
Also use scenes with gun shots. Or Hip hop music. This really helps to dial in time delay. The BOSS is so quick its easy to set it up in time to beats
Gents,

I have a time alignment file created by @SOWK that might be useful in setting the BOSS delay. I have hosted it on Google Drive here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fN...wdlCCVe-BVvtCQ

Mark
SOWK, trhought, magicj1 and 1 others like this.

Lumagen Radiance Pro HDR Tone Mapping Guide: Click Here

Lumagen Radiance Pro Setup & Calibration Tips: Click Here

UHD-BD Backup & Playback Guidance Link
post #5316 of 5992 Old 02-09-2020, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked: 1719
Quote:
The end of the tube where you put the pump was leaking, so I put a valve in between.

Materials used:

T-splitters and valve are 4mm push-in fittings from john guest. The connection from the tubes to the 4mm pipe are extensions I cut in 2 from my local diy shop in Holland. The same kind of extensions you can get from Amazon I think. The extension tubes are 4mm inside so the 4mm pipe can be inserted.
jbarteli....Thanks for sharing you're awesome HB setup along with pneumatic design and parts. Nicely done! Those push-on connectors are indestructible. I don't use them inside the house for pneumatic purposes but use them outside around the pool for our 1,000 psi fog system. Haven't had any problems with leakage in over 12 years in a harsh outside environment with lots of vibration from the fog pump. Good choice!

Every time I see your JBL's surrounded by those tubes, they just look so BadAZZ. Can't wait to see what you do for your BOSSback setup
m0j0 likes this.
post #5317 of 5992 Old 02-09-2020, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke192 View Post
Hi,

Thanks for your kind words!

I’m late to the party, But what a party it is lol, Thanks to yourself for sharing your idea and also, To all that have contributed to this thread!
It’s been a very interesting/fascinating read, watching this idea evolve over the months and the R&D that’s gone into this by you all has been incredible
Being late I’ve been able to take full advantage of all this, Although I’ve not installed the inner tubes, but the sofa will be coming off the platform to do some final finishing, So I’ll probably jump on that train when I do that

I have a confession to make , I’m a carpenter, so the wood working side of things is bread and butter to me and crucially, I have all the required tools!
I’ve still to apply some iron on veneer to the front and top of the board to better match the flooring (I’m quite fussy on the finished look).

I will say this though, Some of the multi sub setups you guys have are incredible but unfortunately not really an option for most in the UK, We just don’t have the room in the average UK home.
So if your reading this thread in the UK and are after some ULF room wobble that a single sub just can’t produce, Then you need to get onboard (no pun intended) this!

Not cheap if your starting from scratch, Like myself, But you probably wouldn’t think twice about dropping another £500-£1000, if not more on another sub and still not get what your after, This system delivers all the TR you’ll ever need, in spades lol
Comes in at around £600 all in, that’s for the drivers (4), NX3000D, 1” Ply (2 sheets), Hudson isolators (16) and assorted cables.
If you add a MiniDSP HD and a Umik to all that as well, heading towards a £1000, You don’t need a minidsp for this to work if you get the amp with the built in dsp though.
Still cheaper than a high end sub/s, so bare that in mind

We watched our first film last night with the BOSS, Ford vs Ferrari.....cheesy grins all around lol, Boss still needs a bit of dialling in, Started with a crossover at 60hz, we we’re getting some TR from some of the music, that didn’t really appeal to us, but easily sorted With a lower crossover.

Now, due to the delay in building this, I couldn’t help myself and grabbed a Minidsp HD, I’ve yet to sample the delights that BEQ will bring to the BOSS , But looking forward to setting it all up
I’ve been following that thread here and a similar one over on AVF for a while, just needed a excuse to push the button lol.
Unfortunately Storm Ciara's currently raging outside, So not ideal conditions for a re calibration due to the background noise!, So that might have to wait till next weekend

Apologies for the long post, Just thought I’d share my initial thoughts

EDIT: Forgot to add, The fan on the NX3000D is rediculous!!, You never quite believe it’s that bad till you hear it lol, Anyway.....replacement fan ordered!!

Thanks
Stoke....Thanks for the details. I kinda figured you were in the trade when I saw those biscuits being used. Not something the average BOSS builder would have used without the special tools and knowledge.

Your artistry with the platform shows through in spades. Looking forward to seeing the finished deck with veneer.

You'll love what BEQ brings to your overall experience. The 2 are inseparable and compliment each other nicely!

Stay safe from Ciara!
Stoke192 likes this.
post #5318 of 5992 Old 02-09-2020, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by trhought View Post

Every time I see your JBL's surrounded by those tubes, they just look so BadAZZ. Can't wait to see what you do for your BOSSback setup
Stop man, you're making me blush....
trhought and Stoke192 like this.
post #5319 of 5992 Old 02-09-2020, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Thank you, trhought for posting so much detailed info about your BOSS system. I cannot wait to try this out. Also, love your infinity pool. Probably the most satisfying example I have seen thus far. Now I have a long term goal.
post #5320 of 5992 Old 02-09-2020, 09:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1195 Post(s)
Liked: 1777
So, at the beginning of Avatar, I was noticing a very bad noise coming my my BOSS, like a rattle or shake, hard to describe, but not a good sound. So, I pulled open the recliner and got underneath to take a look. I thought maybe it was my BK's in back, or perhaps something within the seats that was shaking or rattling or something, but no. It was the tubes on my HoverBoss. I put my head down and listened, and sure enough, that was where the sound was coming from. So, I flipped up the BOSS to take a look. I determined that since I am not securing the tubes very tightly to plywood, that there is a lot of opportunity for the tubes and the plywood to move independently, creating some sort of chuffing noise. I think the solution is to use a lot more straps and strap it down very tightly all around. Also, once I started strapping it more tightly, I started to tap on certain sections of the tube with my finger, and if it made a slapping noise, then I added more straps to that section, until I could tap all the way around without hearing any noise. So, after all that, I flipped it back up, and much, much better! In fact, the whole HoverBOSS experience improved immensely! It was a very noticeable and enjoyable improvement, with better sensitivity, better wobble, better everything.

Long story short, secure the heck out of your HoverBOSS tubes for the best experience possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hovboss-improvement.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	479.6 KB
ID:	2683138  
Chris Young, deano86 and Stoke192 like this.

Last edited by m0j0; 02-10-2020 at 04:05 AM.
post #5321 of 5992 Old 02-09-2020, 09:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
So, at the beginning of Avatar, I was noticing a very bad noise coming my my BOSS, like a rattle or shake, hard to describe, but not a good sound. So, I pulled open the recliner and got underneath to take a look
What flooring are your tubes resting on. Carpet? I've used a sheet of 3mm ply on top mine. My underlay is so thick I needed to use this otherwise my ISO's sunk to much. I'm sure this also provides a better seal for the inner tube.

Last edited by magicj1; 02-09-2020 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Shortening quote
post #5322 of 5992 Old 02-10-2020, 03:45 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by trhought View Post
dgrizzard.....welcome back! As long as the different drivers have their own amp channel they will combine nicely. The MBQuarts only require about 20 watts per driver while the JBL's require 80 watts per driver. If both are on the same amp channel the power will be too much for one and not enough for the other and vice versa.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, yes that clears it up. I think I will need to do some more planning to avoid buying another amp for the MBQ.
post #5323 of 5992 Old 02-10-2020, 04:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What flooring are your tubes resting on. Carpet? I've used a sheet of 3mm ply on top mine. My underlay is so thick I needed to use this otherwise my ISO's sunk to much. I'm sure this also provides a better seal for the inner tube.

I have a thin carpet underneath the BOSS. I am thinking of using some blue tac or something to really seal the tube tightly to the plywood. Also, I am thinking maybe if my platform was thicker or heavier it would be less of an issue.
post #5324 of 5992 Old 02-10-2020, 04:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have a thin carpet underneath the BOSS. I am thinking of using some blue tac or something to really seal the tube tightly to the plywood. Also, I am thinking maybe if my platform was thicker or heavier it would be less of an issue.
I haven't strapped my inner tubes down. I used really sticky double sided tape to hold them in place.
post #5325 of 5992 Old 02-10-2020, 04:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I haven't strapped my inner tubes down. I used really sticky double sided tape to hold them in place.

That could work for sure. Have a link to the tape that you used?
post #5326 of 5992 Old 02-10-2020, 05:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That could work for sure. Have a link to the tape that you used?
j

Not the exact same as a friend gave me mine. It’s called ‘double sided cloth tape’. Its’s very tacky. Guess used to fix capers down in some instances.

This is a UK link mind. But you guys have everything so must be available state side 🙂

https://www.stagedepot.co.uk/essenti...iABEgIRWPD_BwE
post #5327 of 5992 Old 02-10-2020, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyork1977 View Post
Thank you, trhought for posting so much detailed info about your BOSS system. I cannot wait to try this out. Also, love your infinity pool. Probably the most satisfying example I have seen thus far. Now I have a long term goal.
joeyork.....Thanks for the kind words.

As always, when questions come into focus about your BOSS design and build, just let us know.

Welcome aboard!
post #5328 of 5992 Old 02-10-2020, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrizzard View Post
Thanks, yes that clears it up. I think I will need to do some more planning to avoid buying another amp for the MBQ.
Sounds good dgrizzard. Let us know if any questions come up. Fortunately, the MBQuarts only require about 20 watts each if planning the traditional BOSS build. It won't take much power to drive them separately.
post #5329 of 5992 Old 02-10-2020, 05:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
j

Not the exact same as a friend gave me mine. It’s called ‘double sided cloth tape’. Its’s very tacky. Guess used to fix capers down in some instances.

This is a UK link mind. But you guys have everything so must be available state side 🙂

https://www.stagedepot.co.uk/essenti...iABEgIRWPD_BwE
Thanks! I wasn't able to find a good match so I went with this one, hopefully it will do the job:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
magicj1 likes this.
post #5330 of 5992 Old 02-10-2020, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I watched the original Jurassic Park (DTS-X version) and the T-Rex screaming in your face is straight up frightening with BOSS.
m0j0 and OJ Bartley like this.
post #5331 of 5992 Old 02-10-2020, 06:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YumMasterYum View Post
I watched the original Jurassic Park (DTS-X version) and the T-Rex screaming in your face is straight up frightening with BOSS.
One of my all time favorites! Will have to check it out again with the HoverBOSS in the mix!
post #5332 of 5992 Old 02-10-2020, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
1) I'd mount directly to the ply and neatly cut the carpet to the hole size.

2) Since you said it's 6" high I'm guessing you're using 2x6s or the like to make a frame that the plywood will be screwed to. If that's the case then one sheet of ply is fine. Take a look at my current BOSS in my sig. It's like that but only an inch tall. The new one I'm in the middle of building is using 2x4 and 2x6 to build it.

3) Plywood, it's more solid than osb.

Thanks that’s helpful!

It’s 6” including the top layer so the supports are about 4.6” high.
post #5333 of 5992 Old 02-10-2020, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 720 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3678 Post(s)
Liked: 3495
Quote:
So, at the beginning of Avatar, I was noticing a very bad noise coming my my BOSS, like a rattle or shake, hard to describe, but not a good sound. So, I pulled open the recliner and got underneath to take a look. I thought maybe it was my BK's in back, or perhaps something within the seats that was shaking or rattling or something, but no. It was the tubes on my HoverBoss. I put my head down and listened, and sure enough, that was where the sound was coming from. So, I flipped up the BOSS to take a look. I determined that since I am not securing the tubes very tightly to plywood, that there is a lot of opportunity for the tubes and the plywood to move independently, creating some sort of chuffing noise. I think the solution is to use a lot more straps and strap it down very tightly all around. Also, once I started strapping it more tightly, I started to tap on certain sections of the tube with my finger, and if it made a slapping noise, then I added more straps to that section, until I could tap all the way around without hearing any noise. So, after all that, I flipped it back up, and much, much better! In fact, the whole HoverBOSS experience improved immensely! It was a very noticeable and enjoyable improvement, with better sensitivity, better wobble, better everything.

Long story short, secure the heck out of your HoverBOSS tubes for the best experience possible.
I'm glad you posted this. A week or so ago the family was watching the 3rd Maze Runner movie (can't remember the name) and at the end there is a part that has buildings collapsing. The LFE was really insane on this part with BEQ, and all of a sudden I heard a bad sound coming from the chair next to me where my daughter was sitting. I didn't know what it was but it has to be what you are describing. I guess the sound only came from that chair because she is the lightest and there wasn't enough weight to keep the tubes in place.

I'm really surprised at how well the tubes are holding up, no loss of air at all.

I am so not motivated to move my chairs off the platforms and turn the platforms over to mess with securing the tubes. The biggest pain is all the speaker wires that have to be dealt with when moving platforms.

I think I'll leave it alone for now unless I keep hearing the sound. We've watched quite a lot of bass heavy content and that is the only time has happened so far.
m0j0 likes this.
post #5334 of 5992 Old 02-11-2020, 05:25 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post
Thanks for the response. I looked closer at the "manual", and found the below description about the input controls on the front. I am guessing that it is clear to those with more experience in audio than I have that this is input signal attenuation.

INPUT CONTROLS adjust the input level. To increase signal gain, rotate the knobs clockwise; to reduce the gain, rotate the knobs counter-clockwise.

Interestingly, these controls are only addressed in the Getting started section for the NX3000 (not the NX300D):

Adjust the INPUT CONTROLS to set the input levels. If the LIMIT LEDs light up continuously,
lower the INPUT CONTROLS until the LIMIT LEDs only light occasionally. This level should give you
the best balance between signal strength and amp headroom.

Since I am using bridged mode (only channel A), that must be why I set the input level gain on channel A all the way counter-clockwise. It seems like I just need to follow through with the setup and adjust it until the limit LEDs only light occasionally, like stated above. There was a lot going on at the time I set this up, and since it was working, I just neglected this portion of the setup.

Does anyone have any guidance on what kind of signal input I can use (with REW) to make this adjustment?

Thanks again for the guidance.

Mark
Use the signal generator in REW
giomania likes this.
post #5335 of 5992 Old 02-11-2020, 05:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
I'm glad you posted this. A week or so ago the family was watching the 3rd Maze Runner movie (can't remember the name) and at the end there is a part that has buildings collapsing. The LFE was really insane on this part with BEQ, and all of a sudden I heard a bad sound coming from the chair next to me where my daughter was sitting. I didn't know what it was but it has to be what you are describing. I guess the sound only came from that chair because she is the lightest and there wasn't enough weight to keep the tubes in place.

I'm really surprised at how well the tubes are holding up, no loss of air at all.

I am so not motivated to move my chairs off the platforms and turn the platforms over to mess with securing the tubes. The biggest pain is all the speaker wires that have to be dealt with when moving platforms.

I think I'll leave it alone for now unless I keep hearing the sound. We've watched quite a lot of bass heavy content and that is the only time has happened so far.

Yeah, it can be a pain to have to move everything and flip the platforms over to work on them. I ordered some double sided tape per the conversation above with @magicj1 , so when that comes, I will be going through this process again, but hopefully the result will be worth the effort.
carp likes this.
post #5336 of 5992 Old 02-11-2020, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I have a question for anyone running the cheap Fosi 300W amp from Amazon. Do you notice any limitations in the frequency response, in particular below 20 hz? I want to do a direct mount to 4 seats using the MB Quart shallow subs and I'm concerned that the amp specs show a frequency response of 20hz-20khz. I have an IB setup that digs pretty deep and want the BOSS to be able to keep up. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Marantz SR6011 * Outlaw Model 750 * M&K S-150 LCR * M&K SS-150 Surrounds * JBL In Ceiling Atmos * FI IB318v2 x4
post #5337 of 5992 Old 02-12-2020, 02:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Corley View Post
hi guys new here and am loving the build. I am wondering which would be better for the cost DCS380-4 $279.00 JBL GT5-12 $143.85. I have a 5 seater corner lounge amartfurniture.com.au/magnus-53106/ if i build a platform for the whole lounge am thinking 4 or 5 subs.

hi guys sorry to pester got a xls2502 and i dont know if i should go the dayton and jbl gt5-12
post #5338 of 5992 Old 02-12-2020, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Corley View Post
hi guys sorry to pester got a xls2502 and i dont know if i should go the dayton and jbl gt5-12
Joshua.....Welcome aboard!

The Dayton will only need about 20 watts while the JBL GT5-12 will need about 80 watts to reach Xmax in an open baffle configuration. Both will provide about the same shaker potential and deliver a great BOSS experience. Since you have ample power for either, it really depends on what space constraints you have and which speaker will fit better.

Hope this helps.
post #5339 of 5992 Old 02-12-2020, 08:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1478 Post(s)
Liked: 3778
The Hideaway Theater

Hey all you BOSS fiends. I hope all is well in TR land. I took roughly six months off of theater stuff to build a house, and there’s flying hover couches and cantilevered BOSS back doohickeys galore! Nice evolution.

I’m already thinking of using some spare drivers for BOSS 3.0 in the new room instead of the 12” JBLs. I have two Dayton 15” RSS390HO and one 18” RSS460HO collecting dust, and the 18” seems to have about 3x the shaker potential of a single JBL, so it will go nicely under the MLP with less holes and can just use a single 15” under each of the two side seats.

I quickly ran the numbers in WinISD, and if I‘m looking at it right, the Daytons use about the same power (80-90w) as the standard JBL to hit max excursion at 10Hz.

One thing we never really discussed here is how the resonant frequency (Fs) affects shaker potential or TR quality. I’m not sure I’ve seen this explored or maybe I’ve missed it, other than a lower Fs driver should be better for ULF. The Dayton drivers at 21.5Hz and 18.8Hz respectively are still considerably lower than the JBL’s Fs of 28Hz, so the Dayton should all perform better ~20Hz and below for this reason, but how to quantify that is above my pay grade...less distortion down low, but does that even matter for the purposes of a BOSS?
m0j0 likes this.

Speakers: PSA MTM-210T x2, MTM-210C, MT-110SR x2; Atmos-SVS Satellite x2, DIY Volt-10 x2
Subs: PSA V1801 x2, DIY: 18" RSS460HO, 15" RSS390HO x2, BOSS w/JBL CX1200 x6
MA’s: Crowson Tech x2
Processing: Denon X4200, NU6KDSP, 3KDSP
Video: Epson 3700; Screen: Silver Ticket 106" High Contrast

Last edited by Sekosche; 02-13-2020 at 08:52 AM.
post #5340 of 5992 Old 02-13-2020, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekosche View Post
Hey all you BOSS fiends. I hope all is well in TR land. I took roughly six months off of theater stuff to build a house, and there’s flying hover couches and cantilevered BOSS doohickeys galore! Nice evolution.

I’m already thinking of using some spare drivers for BOSS 3.0 in the new room instead of the 12” JBLs. I have two Dayton 15” RSS390HO and one 18” RSS460HO collecting dust, and the 18” seems to have about 3x the shaker potential of a single JBL, so it will go nicely under the MLP with less holes and can just use a single 15” under each of the two side seats.

I quickly ran the numbers in WinISD, and if I‘m looking at it right, the Daytons use about the same power (80-90w) as the standard JBL to hit max excursion at 10Hz.

One thing we never really discussed here is how the resonant frequency (Fs) affects shaker potential or TR quality. I’m not sure I’ve seen this explored or maybe I’ve missed it, other than a lower Fs driver should be better for ULF. The Dayton drivers at 21.5Hz and 18.8Hz respectively are still considerably lower than the JBL’s Fs of 28Hz, so the Dayton should all perform better ~20Hz and below for this reason, but how to quantify that is above my pay grade...less distortion down low, but does that even matter for the purposes of a BOSS?
Sekosche....welcome back!

Congrats on the new house! Can't wait to see your BOSS 3.0 come to life along with all the other BOSS add-ons

Great question about the Fs and it's impact on TR. I believe @SteveCallas has used the Dayton DCS385-5 15" with an Fs of 17.5Hz on his front row chairs and is using the baseline JBL's in his back row. So, he would have some direct experience. He posted about it here and over in his thread awhile back. A link to his observations comparing the 2 are right here.

His theater is also this month's Home Theater of the Month!
Sekosche likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page