The Hideaway Theater - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3595Likes

post #31 of 4340 Old 02-16-2019, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked: 1372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Walton View Post
I'm super new to all of this, but reading about your speaker platform system has been very interesting. Several times you mention that the SPL is low from this setup, which of course makes sense; but the tactical response is very good. I've never really experienced either, so my question is: Do you still need low reaching subs elsewhere in order to get the full ULF experience? If not, this is a tremendous discover, as all the deepest subwoofer builds I've seen were huge and expensive. It appears as if this BOSS also has the benefit of not projecting tons of sound where it's not needed or desired.

For reference, my makeshift theater is in my basement, where I also have a tenant. It would be great to keep the projected sound down, and simply get the feeling of ULF, especially if it's nearly the same experience.
Jeremy....Thanks for stopping by....for your desired needs of not disturbing your tenant, the BOSS would be great in your basement. Having far-field bass in the corners of the room helps keep the overall sound more natural and supplements the BOSS.

Having said that, I listen to music and watch movies with the BOSS only all the time while everyone else is sleeping and it delivers the smiles and no one complains in the morning...lol.
Russell Burrows likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 4340 Old 02-16-2019, 10:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 0
That sounds perfect! You mean you sometimes use just the BOSS as your sub, with no far field, or other supplimentals for non ULF?

If the BOSS covers everything at 40hz and below, that still covers way more than I was expecting, and that changes the game of ULF hunting. This is a drastically more financially viable option to achieve full frequency range, at a perceivable energy level, than anything else I've come by. Usually this requires a few well designed 18" ported enclosures.
post #33 of 4340 Old 02-17-2019, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That sounds perfect! You mean you sometimes use just the BOSS as your sub, with no far field, or other supplimentals for non ULF?

If the BOSS covers everything at 40hz and below, that still covers way more than I was expecting, and that changes the game of ULF hunting. This is a drastically more financially viable option to achieve full frequency range, at a perceivable energy level, than anything else I've come by. Usually this requires a few well designed 18" ported enclosures.
Yes, at night time when everyone in the house has gone to bed, I like to still enjoy music and movies and the ULF offered by the BOSS doesn't disappoint! During the day, with the far-fields on, the overall experience is more natural since I'm also getting the 40Hz and above with the far-field subs.

It is indeed a very affordable entry into the ULF game without insane SPL and all the expense that goes along with chasing high SPL. Think of the BOSS as an inexpensive tactile transducer that can reach down to 3Hz and best of all, every seat on the BOSS feels the exact same experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 4340 Old 02-17-2019, 07:06 PM

Awesome! Whelp, I guess that means I'm going to build some platforms for my sectional. Great work discovering this!
post #35 of 4340 Old 02-17-2019, 07:29 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Hi Tim,

Awesome theater you’ve put together. I like the fact that you have upgraded the theater over the years to get to the place where you are today. And the BOSS system is a great idea!!! Similar to Jeremy I have been looking for a way to achieve good ULF response without waking the entire house at night. I have a riser that I intend to put some woofers in based on your very positive experiences I like this idea better than buttkickers, as they will also help provide a more smooth frequency response across the room when my IB sub is being used during the day.

P.S. Absolutely gorgeous pool area you have created for the family. I’m sure that you spend a ton of hot summer days out there. I showed it to my wife, who also loved it, and we felt just a little bit sorry that it isn’t hot enough in Denmark to justify building a pool like that

My Small Home Theater Build
JVC RS400 / 110" 2.40:1 Curved DIY AT Screen w. Masking / Prismasonic A-Lens / Marantz SR7011 / Emotiva XPA-5 / Behringer EP4000 / Oppo UDP-203 / PS4 Pro / Apple TV 4K / 7.2.2 Surround / DIY LCR's / 4xFI IB3 15" IB Sub
post #36 of 4340 Old 02-17-2019, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Awesome! Whelp, I guess that means I'm going to build some platforms for my sectional. Great work discovering this!
Jeremy.....you won't be disappointed. Just follow my guidelines in post 29 and enjoy.

When you mention platform(s) do you mean 1 platform for each sectional piece or 1 platform for each row. Reason I ask, my first experiment actually had 2, 4'x4' platforms each 5/8" thick and placed next to one another to span the entire length of the first row. This didn't work nearly as well as using 1, 4'x8' sheet of 3/4" plywood all as one piece. I think this was because two legs of the long couch was on 1 platform and the other 2 legs were on the other platform. Have each couch piece or pieces on one platform and make sure the platform is 3/4" thick and you'll be fine.

Just wanted to mention this to avoid any problems with your BOSS......post 29 has been updated with a drawing showing examples of good and bad configurations of the platform.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by trhought; 02-18-2019 at 09:41 AM.
post #37 of 4340 Old 02-17-2019, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Chris View Post
Hi Tim,

Awesome theater you’ve put together. I like the fact that you have upgraded the theater over the years to get to the place where you are today. And the BOSS system is a great idea!!! Similar to Jeremy I have been looking for a way to achieve good ULF response without waking the entire house at night. I have a riser that I intend to put some woofers in based on your very positive experiences I like this idea better than buttkickers, as they will also help provide a more smooth frequency response across the room when my IB sub is being used during the day.

P.S. Absolutely gorgeous pool area you have created for the family. I’m sure that you spend a ton of hot summer days out there. I showed it to my wife, who also loved it, and we felt just a little bit sorry that it isn’t hot enough in Denmark to justify building a pool like that
Hey Chris....Thanks for the kind words about our pool. We do enjoy it out there. I've seen some pretty nice in-ground hot tubs and larger spools (spa pools....lol) that may work better for Denmark if your looking for something to add to enhance your back yard in the future. They're also called cocktail pools if you'd like to google that and get some ideas.

Risers are perfect for a BOSS also. Our back BOSS feels just like the front BOSS. Just make sure to put the rubber underneath the riser to get the BOSS effect. The rubber height isn't as important with a riser BOSS since the speakers will be mounted on top of the riser in a more traditional orientation (butt-in instead of butt-out...lol) and you don't have to worry about allowing the speakers to "breathe" underneath. Hope this makes sense.
post #38 of 4340 Old 02-17-2019, 09:31 PM

Just to be 100% sure...

By putting the rubber isolators underneath your riser, you don’t have a sealed enclosure for the drivers anymore, right? Or do you have a bottom plate, which effectively makes your riser a very large volume sealed enclosure?

My riser is already elevated about 1” as I have heavy duty casters underneath so I can move it back and forth. But I don’t have any bottom plate in there, so in theory it’s already open baffle

JVC RS400 / 110" 2.40:1 Curved DIY AT Screen w. Masking / Prismasonic A-Lens / Marantz SR7011 / Emotiva XPA-5 / Behringer EP4000 / Oppo UDP-203 / PS4 Pro / Apple TV 4K / 7.2.2 Surround / DIY LCR's / 4xFI IB3 15" IB Sub
post #39 of 4340 Old 02-17-2019, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Chris View Post
Just to be 100% sure...

By putting the rubber isolators underneath your riser, you don’t have a sealed enclosure for the drivers anymore, right? Or do you have a bottom plate, which effectively makes your riser a very large volume sealed enclosure?

My riser is already elevated about 1” as I have heavy duty casters underneath so I can move it back and forth. But I don’t have any bottom plate in there, so in theory it’s already open baffle
Chris....Thanks for checking....that's correct.....there's no bottom plate. The back riser is also open baffle just like the front row BOSS.

The key is getting it off the floor which you've already done. I would recommend placing rubber pieces underneath the wheels of the casters as an experiment once you get the BOSS speakers in place on the top. I think you might like the added impact on TR with the rubber....I certainly did.

Hope this helps.
post #40 of 4340 Old 02-17-2019, 10:39 PM

Thanks a lot for your replies, Tim - much appreciated!
trhought likes this.

post #41 of 4340 Old 02-18-2019, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

BOSS Drawing and Guidelines

Updating Post 29 with this drawing and guidelines for constructing and setting up the BOSS in both a mini-riser and riser configuration.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BOSS Guidelines.jpg
Views:	3181
Size:	892.5 KB
ID:	2527434  
Nalleh, dgrizzard and SNcube like this.
post #42 of 4340 Old 02-18-2019, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 864 Post(s)
Liked: 791
Pros and cons vs some Buttkicker mini LFEs? Cost to do 2 drivers plus a sheet of plywood and carpet for one seat is equal to one Buttkicker

Pros - response to 3hz?

Cons - the drivers make sound, and the FR wont be flat.

The force probably isnt as strong.

Installation is more involved.

Not as aesthetically pleasing.

Fs in the 20hz range vs 9-13hz for the Buttkicker

All this in mind, im thinking i might try a Buttkicker instead. Am i missing something?
post #43 of 4340 Old 02-18-2019, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post
Pros and cons vs some Buttkicker mini LFEs? Cost to do 2 drivers plus a sheet of plywood and carpet for one seat is equal to one Buttkicker

Pros - response to 3hz?

Cons - the drivers make sound, and the FR wont be flat.

The force probably isnt as strong.

Not as aesthetically pleasing.

Fs in the 20hz range vs 9-13hz for the Buttkicker

All this in mind, im thinking i might try a Buttkicker instead. Am i missing something?
Steve....good question....I've experienced butt kickers in personal theaters and at AMC.......no comparison to the BOSS.

The BOSS makes the entire floor beneath you move starting at 3Hz with authority and teeth start rattling at 11Hz to 22Hz and gently rolls off around 30-40Hz depending on how the LPF is setup.

The experience has to be felt to be believed.

Below is a video of one of the JBL's in action in the back riser after I first constructed it. You can see respectable excursion is achieved with only 80 watts starting at 2Hz.....you can't feel it until about 3Hz when sitting on the platform, but hey, I'll take 3Hz TR any day, especially for less than $100 plus an amp. This excursion times 3 (3 drivers there in the back riser), makes the entire riser respond on command from the JBL's. The front riser is the same experience.

Think of the entire row of seats sitting on a bed of air and that row of seats responding to every wave of low bass energy that moves the earth beneath you to get an idea what the experience is like. I don't get that feeling with buttkickers attached to my chair.

Regarding aesthetics.....yeah, buttkickers are totally hidden....hard to beat. But, with a little carpet on the mini-riser or if you already have a full size riser, the BOSS disappears and nobody knows what they're about to experience until the ground starts moving below them.

My daughter was home from college this weekend and had one of her friends with her. It was her first time in the theater since the BOSS upgrade. They were in the back row, I was in the first row. I queued up "WOW - Pods Emerge" and started playing it without saying anything. After about a minute, when the demo scene was quiet momentarily, I turned around to ask her if she liked it......I didn't have to say a word to know the answer. She was staring at the screen with her mouth wide open oblivious to the fact that I just turned around and was talking to her....Priceless!

After a few more demo scenes, I stopped and lifted one of the chairs to show her the subwoofer below. She said "Oh my gosh, I had no idea, that's crazy, it was like I was riding in the car", right after we watched a demo scene from the movie "Getaway".

Video of JBL response in IB/BOSS alignment with 80 watts of power

GeoJustGeo likes this.

Last edited by trhought; 02-18-2019 at 10:24 AM.
post #44 of 4340 Old 02-18-2019, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Forgot to mention.....installation takes about 1 hour for cutting 3 holes in the 4' x 8' plywood, mounting the drivers, stapling the grommets and running speaker wire to the amp. 2 hours if you want to carpet it and make it disappear into the room. It's definitely more involved since you have to layout the drivers on the plywood for your chairs, but it's so worth it in my opinion. Not for the faint of heart if one isn't comfortable with this kind of stuff. Bolting buttkickers on chairs is super easy but you still have to lift your furniture and find the right place to bolt them and the experience and ULF response isn't nearly as good as the BOSS.

Last edited by trhought; 02-18-2019 at 10:41 AM.
post #45 of 4340 Old 02-18-2019, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

BOSS for Riser 3rd Row Bars

Did an experiment this weekend as I'm getting ready for construction of our third row bar.

Wanted to know if the BOSS experience would be any good back there in the bar stools with the mock-up I have pictured below.

Was pleasantly surprised the effect was decent. It wasn't the "you are floating" experience when seated in the first and second rows, but the effect is definitely there because your feet are resting on the riser and your elbows are resting on the table which is connected to the riser. Pretty cool....even for guests in the "cheap" seats, they can still feel the 3Hz ULF.

Now I'm thinking about a mini-riser for the bar seats.....lol.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bar Mock Up.jpg
Views:	898
Size:	832.4 KB
ID:	2527474  
post #46 of 4340 Old 02-18-2019, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 864 Post(s)
Liked: 791
So you are saying this creates more tactile field in the Buttkickers? How about the mechanical noise in the vid - from the driver assembly or from the shaking?

Please dont interpret these as negative comments, just wanting a little more information before i pick a path.
post #47 of 4340 Old 02-18-2019, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So you are saying this creates more tactile field in the Buttkickers? How about the mechanical noise in the vid - from the driver assembly or from the shaking?

Please dont interpret these as negative comments, just wanting a little more information before i pick a path.
Steve....Thanks...I think you may be referring to the clicking in between each frequency change. If so, that's in the youtube video originally. I think it was from the author of that video and switching the frequencies with a mechanical switch on a frequency generator. Once the frequency is selected and it starts playing the selected frequency there's no clicking that can be heard.

When watching movies or listening to music, it's purely tactile and absolutely no detrimental effects on my optimized farfield subs and mains/center. Didn't have to optimize those again.....just changed the LPF for the BOSS down to 80 Hz and the effect was unbelievable. I was thinking I would have to add delay to the BOSS since I was so close to them, but didn't even have to do that.

Not trying to sell you on the BOSS and not knocking Buttkickers....just trying to describe the BOSS experience and how it compares to my experience with buttkickers to help answer your questions. And, yes, this absolutely creates significantly more tactile than Buttkickers and gives the feeling of weightlessness that I never got from Buttkickers.

If you're ever in Louisiana and want to experience them, drop me a PM....I love to share the experience with fellow AVS'ers.

I certainly understand the reluctance to build one of these and the ease of buying an off the shelf transducer.....the BOSS isn't for the faint of heart. It's a totally different approach to tactile and probably scares a lot of folks away because of that......I totally get it.

Hope this helps.
post #48 of 4340 Old 02-20-2019, 02:20 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 199
@trhought Tim,

I spent a couple of days working on my BOSS Bass Shaker Platform. Yeah, a couple of days. Kept getting interrupted each day with neighbors etc. Anyways This must have been something you mentioned in the BEQ Thread and I would like to learn how you set your BOSS to 1g at 2 Hz?
I have Vibsensor on my phone and I need to learn to use that program some more. Any help in achieving my BOSS to this calibration at least as a starting point or ending point as well as not to break anything or the drivers. I will update my thread with my BOSS once I'm dialed in and can post a pic or 2 here if you wish.

"The Boy has no patience" Yoda
"He will learn patience. Was I any different when you taught me?" Obi-Wan
My attempt living room build The Story Time Theater
3 DIY HTM-12 LCR 10 M&K S-100B, 2 Servodrive Contrabass. 2 SVS PB12/2 Plus(ForSale). 2 V.B.S.S., 2 Adire Tempest Side Columns Near field Fun all in one room.
post #49 of 4340 Old 02-20-2019, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Young View Post
@trhought Tim,

I spent a couple of days working on my BOSS Bass Shaker Platform. Yeah, a couple of days. Kept getting interrupted each day with neighbors etc. Anyways This must have been something you mentioned in the BEQ Thread and I would like to learn how you set your BOSS to 1g at 2 Hz?
I have Vibsensor on my phone and I need to learn to use that program some more. Any help in achieving my BOSS to this calibration at least as a starting point or ending point as well as not to break anything or the drivers. I will update my thread with my BOSS once I'm dialed in and can post a pic or 2 here if you wish.
Hey Chris....great to hear about your BOSS and can't wait to hear your impressions and see pics in your thread.

There shouldn't really be much needed to set it up....just keep the LPF around 80Hz and adjust the polarity (switch the positive and negative wires at the BOSS amp or at the BOSS itself and see which one works best)

For my front BOSS, I had to run out of phase since the drivers are butt-out. The back BOSS is in-phase since those drivers are butt-in.

I think you might be referring to my comment below to Aron in the JBL thread about testing I did with different sub arrangements to see which one I liked best.....(sub below the seat or sub behind the seat). The sub below was much more effective for delivering TR and more realistic than the sub behind me and beside me. Yeah, I did some testing with that arrangement too....lol. This testing was all before the BOSS was even born in my head.

Basically, I dialed in each arrangement with the VibSensor to deliver 1g in my seat while watching War of the Worlds-Pods Emerge, when the street literally sinks into the ground right before the pod emerges. I knew right away I was going to like the sub below because the volume levels were lower to achieve 1g and the feeling was more real. For 1g in the behind arrangement and side arrangement, the volume level had to be higher and I could never get the feeling of realism like the sub below me arrangement delivered.

During my tests, I found there's a lot of variability in using the VibSensor and it all depends on how it's sitting on the chair and if it's touching the wood of the chair of just resting on the cushion with a 5lb bag of rice....yeah that's a real thing....lol. Check out the VibSensor thread if you really want to go down the rabbit hole....they did testing with 20lb bags and 5lb bags among other things to improve gage repeatability. I used the same method for all my tests to minimize this variability from one measurement to the next and I haven't used VibSensor since.

Setup for my BOSS's was very simple....I just wanted to make sure I wasn't exceeding Xmax at reference volume levels. Basically I hung a paper clip over one of the cones with a string and taped that string to a wooden ruler above so the paper clip was just touching the cone....marked the string accordingly. Fired up WOW at reference and started moving the paper clip up until the woofer didn't hit it anymore....marked that location on the string and measured the difference to make sure I wasn't over 15mm. Did the same with music also at the higher levels I like during spirited listening sessions.

Once you verify you're not putting too much power into the BOSS at reference volume and you have the LPF around 80Hz and the phase where it feels right (either 0 degrees or 180 degrees), there shouldn't be much more to do other than sit back and enjoy your new found ULF.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trhought View Post
Haha.....yeah, it's funny how things can be perceived when reading these posts....I guess it all depends on one's mood at the time and what fleeting thoughts are going through our brains at the time.

Agreed on the SPL comments with my OB....I even stated that as a downside with my configuration in post 1472 above (The B.O.S.S.) post....lol.

The vertical efficiency comment was related to ULF sensitivity and not SPL.....at least to me, using the VibSensor, 1g of vertical force (z-axis) is much more impactful and "real" than 1g of horizontal force (x or y-axis). Maybe it's just me, but I like that feeling of floating during the music and movies. I don't get that feeling with horizontal arrangements.

Your proliferation of BEQ's is most impressive....I only wish I had access to half that many movies, let alone the time to watch them....lol!

Maybe it was mentioned in the BEQ thread already, but a demo disc remuxed with BEQ would be awesome....I can mention it in BEQ thread if it hasn't been mentioned yet in the ~4500 posts. With all the horsepower in that thread, maybe someone will do it.

Awesome work!
post #50 of 4340 Old 02-22-2019, 08:08 AM

Ideas on amps? I would like to buy a single amp for my full home theater build, but I also understand that the BOSS drivers need much less power than standard subwoofers. Could a 1000 or 3000 Behringer NX series drive one channel of speakers for the BOSS (likely 4 or 5 speakers each at 80 watts), and another channel for two primary subwoofers (two more JBL based sub designs - likely sonotube or iClops derivatives)?

If this isn't viable for the BOSS system, what amp would you say is well suited for 4-5 JBLs on risers?
post #51 of 4340 Old 02-22-2019, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ideas on amps? I would like to buy a single amp for my full home theater build, but I also understand that the BOSS drivers need much less power than standard subwoofers. Could a 1000 or 3000 Behringer NX series drive one channel of speakers for the BOSS (likely 4 or 5 speakers each at 80 watts), and another channel for two primary subwoofers (two more JBL based sub designs - likely sonotube or iClops derivatives)?

If this isn't viable for the BOSS system, what amp would you say is well suited for 4-5 JBLs on risers?
Jeremy....Thanks....yes, any of the Behringer NXD series will be able to limit the power. It's the "Peak Limiter" function in the DSP settings. Once you enter the speaker load in the NXD (ohms), it will allow you to dial in a power limit. Below is an excerpt from the NXD user manual. If you set it for around 80 watts/speaker, that will be great for the JBL's in a BOSS. Example, if you have 4 JBL's in your BOSS wired in series/parallel for 4 ohms, just enter the 4 ohms into the NXD and dial in 320 watts for that channel (80 watts per speaker).

Hope this helps.

---From NXD User Manual----- Peak Limiter Function-------

The Peak Limiter helps protect your speakers by preventing signal spikes at the
amplifier's output stage.
The Peak Limiter controls include a dedicated virtual knob with matching
numerical displays in dBfs (decibels relative to full scale), Vp (Voltage(peak)),
as well as a rating in Watts, which appears only when you choose an Ohm setting
from the Load pulldown menu.
ryudoadema and Rjloper9 like this.

Last edited by trhought; 02-22-2019 at 09:05 AM.
post #52 of 4340 Old 02-22-2019, 09:14 AM

Awesome! I didn't know about that feature. It will be nice to only have to purchase one amp. Easier to integrate that into the AVR, and cheaper. Thanks!
post #53 of 4340 Old 02-22-2019, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

@Jeremy Walton ....absolutely.....the dollars/watt for those NXD's can't be beat either! Enjoy planning your setup and if you have any questions about your BOSS plans, as always, just let me know.
post #54 of 4340 Old 02-22-2019, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Awesome! I didn't know about that feature. It will be nice to only have to purchase one amp. Easier to integrate that into the AVR, and cheaper. Thanks!
Jeremy.....just read your original post....you mentioned the NX series. To get the peak limiting feature, you'll need the NXD series......just make sure to get the NXD and you'll have this feature
post #55 of 4340 Old 02-22-2019, 03:07 PM

I meant to ask if you send BEQ to the BOSS? If not why not?
Thank,

3 DIY HTM-12 LCR 10 M&K S-100B, 2 Servodrive Contrabass. 2 SVS PB12/2 Plus(ForSale). 2 V.B.S.S., 2 Adire Tempest Side Columns Near field Fun all in one room.
post #56 of 4340 Old 02-22-2019, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Hey @Chris Young .....absolutely....The BOSS loves BEQ, or is it I love BEQ on the BOSS ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Either way....like everything else, it's better with BEQ. I've been BEQ'ing lots of music lately in addition to about 10 movies so far. Definitely OK to add a little BEQ to your BOSS, you won't regret it. Or, maybe you will....I've found once I started using BEQ, I want everything to have it now....crazy hobby of ours!

Like I said in the above post to Jeremy, if you keep the power around 80 watts per driver, you should be good. I've confirmed it many times through spirited listening sessions using the paper clip measurement technique. As I'm getting more comfortable with it, I'm nudging the volume/BEQ even higher. It's an incredible experience!

Hope your BOSS is coming along OK.
Chris Young and biga6761 like this.
post #57 of 4340 Old 02-22-2019, 04:05 PM

Very Cool I figured I should ask about it. And yes the BEQing is addictive and great to have available. I used to only run a house curve all these years and found it bloated the sound sometimes depending on the movie. I didn't dip into it when they started the HDMI version of it as it wasn't as appealing as this newer way Aron has going.
Running Audyssey now in the room and we shall see what I come up with in the end. I'm trying to picture this paperclip thing you are talking about. It sounds simple but I'm probably over thinking it. lol
Also had to add one washer to each on the BOSS feet to extend the height the BOSS sits away from the floor. I'm on flat commercial grade carpet with 8-pound pad. I wasn't sure that the JBL's could breathe enough down there and now there is a gap big enough to fit a finger between the carpet and JBL. Is this correct? Or will I possibly cause cancelation in the use of them?
biga6761 likes this.

post #58 of 4340 Old 02-22-2019, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

@Chris Young ....yeah, that should be enough breathing room for the JBL's...no problems.

To keep it simple for the BOSS setup after Audyssey, just remember the 80/80/180 rule. 80 watts max per driver on the BOSS amp / 80Hz LPF for LFE on your AVR feeding the BOSS / 180 degrees out of phase (reverse red and black power wires to the BOSS) since it sounds like your BOSS has the drivers magnet out. If they're magnet into the cabinet, then the rule is 80/80/0....0 degrees out of phase.

I didn't include the BOSS when I ran Audyssey.....just added it afterwards since it's mostly TR. After adding the BOSS, then I bumped the LPF for LFE down to 80 Hz in the AVR after Audyssey to get it feeling natural.

Hope this helps.
Rjloper9 likes this.
post #59 of 4340 Old 02-23-2019, 01:12 AM

Tim,

Well after running Audyssey and following the latest on how to and dialing in the subs this BOSS does, in fact, rock and feels so natural to the sound coming from the entire system. And on top of that, it really brings it in a BEQ setup. This is the closest I've been able to come to the feeling of the subs on the couch cushion I PM'd you about. The BOSS is so far past the feeling of a buttkicker. Then, on the other hand, there is that thought of adding a buttkicker or 2 to the platform or Y axis (for another experiment) but take complete control of its throw and response more so then the BOSS as the buttkicker can bottom out so easily if not set up correctly or too deep and loud of a passage in a film. I ran WOTW pod scene and the BOSS played it so well. I did sense any bottoming out and still want to try setting it up with this paperclip you mentioned and take it to the edge but I might just have it dialed in already by listening and feeling. Thanks much for this great idea of yours and I plan to post it in my build thread with credit to you.
biga6761 likes this.

post #60 of 4340 Old 02-23-2019, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Chris....Thanks for the update and so glad you got it rocking without much fuss. That's the beauty of the BOSS from my perspective. It's about as close to plug and play as you can get when following the 80/80/180 rule or the 80/80/0 rule if the speakers are mounted with the magnet into the cabinet.

Enjoy that new found ULF. I still smile today after playing some of my favorite music and movies. My youngest daughter and I were in the theater last night and she fired up some songs off Taylor Swift's newest album Reputation....wouldn't have been my first choice but she was the DJ I just sat back in awe as some of those bass notes hit with such authority and articulation. All while the imaging was crystal clear around us. Couldn't help but look back at her and give her a big Thumbs Up with a smile on my face. She did the same back to me....Priceless.

If you're not hearing any mechanical bottoming with the BOSS today and are happy with the feeling I wouldn't mess around too much with the paper clip measurement technique unless you just like to tinker like me. I only did it to confirm the WinISD model was correct for these JBL's in the BOSS arrangement....which it was.

Although, being AVS'ers, we always like to see where the boundaries are for our equipment so enjoy!

Today, I'm going to BEQ the album "Resistance" by the Muse. That looks like a clean recording when I analyzed it last night....should be able to add lots of BEQ without any issues. Will report over in the BEQ thread accordingly.

Also, finally watched the Cloverfield Paradox with BEQ yesterday on Blu-Ray (not the Netflix streamed version).....that one has some incredible ULF into single digits that delivered the smiles with the BOSS!

Last edited by trhought; 02-23-2019 at 09:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page