The Hideaway Theater - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3966Likes

post #91 of 5067 Old 03-02-2019, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked: 1508
^^^^ LOL.....if we hear of any Norwegian earthquakes making recent news, we know what happened! It was just our good AVS friend, Nalleh, running a BOSS experiment!
SBuger and Nalleh like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 5067 Old 03-02-2019, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 710 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3578 Post(s)
Liked: 3342
How often do these drivers go on sale?

Right now they are 129.99 at BB, 69.95 on Amazon, and 66.85 (with shipping) on ebay.
post #93 of 5067 Old 03-02-2019, 04:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by trhought View Post
dgrizzard.....one JBL under each seat will be plenty....wired in series for 8 ohms load to the amp. The Behringer 1000NXD or a used inuke 1000 DSP will be perfect for your setup. Just enter 8 ohms into the Behringer power limiter DSP and dial in 160 watts (80 watts times 2 JBL's) and that will be perfect.

Below is how to wire two 4 ohm speakers in series for 8 ohms total load to the amp.

Thanks! Getting my stuff together now to get this done.
trhought likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 5067 Old 03-02-2019, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 382 Post(s)
Quoted: 2813 Post(s)
Liked: 3876
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
How often do these drivers go on sale?

Right now they are 129.99 at BB, 69.95 on Amazon, and 66.85 (with shipping) on ebay.
Patience, young padawan

Usually around some holiday or something, but just need to keep a lookout
carp and trhought like this.

Dual AVR 13.1.8 SWAtmos - Atmos 13.1.8/DTS X 9.1.8/Auro 3D 13.1 - Denon AVCX8500H+AVRX7200WA - Klipsch+KEF - 6xSI18" - 12xJBL 12" w/6xSLAPS M12 downfiring VNF - 3x2 stacked Crowson MA - 4xBK-LFE Dual TR Sleds- 6xNU6K(fan&trig mod) - Minidsp 10x10HD - Oppo UDP203 - XB1X - ATV4K - Vertex2 - JVC RS600 Dreamscreen V2 120"- Philips 65OLED873.
>>>>Nalleh’s HT<<<<
post #95 of 5067 Old 03-02-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalleh View Post
Patience, young padawan

Usually around some holiday or something, but just need to keep a lookout
Ha, I know myself. If summer rolls around (lots of free time for me) and they haven't gone on sale yet I won't be able to wait.

Specs look very similar to this JBL driver. Hmmm 3 left at 42 each including shipping on Amazon...

https://www.jbl.com/CS1214_.html

On second thought I recently broke down and finally bought a snow blower so I need to be good for a while - easier said than done.
Nalleh likes this.
post #96 of 5067 Old 03-02-2019, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^^ @carp That's the same driver. They're sold as the CS-1214 (I've seen these at Walmart online also for about $35-45 at times). Best Buy sells them as CX-1200 and GX-1200. All 3 of these are the same driver, just different dust caps. As Nalleh said, just keep looking on line for these 3 models or over on the JBL Black Friday thread. Whenever they go on sale, someone always posts over there also. These little beauties are and incredible value!
Rjloper9 and Nalleh like this.
post #97 of 5067 Old 03-03-2019, 01:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 423 Post(s)
Quoted: 1406 Post(s)
Liked: 4749
Quote:
@trhought : thanks for the kind words, much appreciated.

Now, granted my system has escalated a bit over the years, but that was exactly the point when i started my thread, not to brag, but show how you can do it, using alternative ways, and maybe not always the easy expensive way. With money, everything is easy, but i am not rich, so i need to be creative instead. And i am glad it can the of inspiration.

I have to admit, your setup and ideas have impressed me too, and i love your creativity, and not the least: the results. You sure are on to something, and it has been awsome to read about your journey too

I know you say 3 JBL’s is plenty, but you know me, so what i am wondering is: how well does it scale up? Say 12x JBL’s under couch?

3x 18" SI HST?

2x SI 24" ?

Now THAT would be a fun experiment
So back when the VS thread was going strong right before it went into its long silence, coolrda just got his SI 24 for VNF and was doing some testing with it. I remember him posting a VS measurement of 6hz or somewhere real low and putting the phone right on the driver IIRC just to see what kind of intense TR brutality it would give on the reading and the intensity levels where just off the charts insane, like would probably cause bodily harm if you where shook that hard insane. I remember thinking at the time, now if we could just tap into even part of that power somehow and keep from loosing most of it by the time it reaches us. Even with the driver super close behind us it still looses a ton of TR energy before it reaches us though acoustic coupling, even though it can still feel quite intense.

So, I guess I just didn't know it yet, but I think @trhought 's BOSS may just be the magic solution to actually tapping into this insane amount of TR power in its full or near full glory if you want it (and or if you can handle it LOL)!! Just wow, that is pretty exciting to think about and does get the wheels turning!

This is not an open baffle build, but have you guys seen Scott Simonian's sub riser HERE with 18's (scroll down about half way in the first post). Pretty darn cool, I'm sure that thing is awesome too and will dish out the TR! Also Han's theater with all the 24's, (24 of them I think) put some under a couple of the seats as well.

This BOSS sounds like it is pretty simple (and cheap) and just kicks major butt with 12" subs. The part I bolded in Tim's post down below really caught my attention about feeling every mechanical motion of the sub and makes a lot of sense and why its giving such amazing TR results.

Quote:
Nalleh....Thanks for stopping by and for the compliments on the BOSS. Your setup and @SBuger 's setup have been an inspiration to get my creativity juices flowing and thinking outside the box when it comes to home theater. The detailed pictures and explanations of your setups, the blow by blow descriptions of your experiences during different scenes, trying new and different solutions to take the whole home theater experience to the next level.....truly inspiring!

In reading your posts and SBugers.....it was always with thoughts like "yes, this is what I want to do when the kids are through college". Because I always thought it would be expensive to get into the ULF game and single digit TR setups.

But then, after a 10" subwoofer gift from my father this summer, that led to some experiments with placing that sub close to our listening positions as I was playing around. Suddenly, I realized it wasn't that hard to achieve ULF and it really didn't cost that much if I approached my ULF goals pragmatically.

Then, the discovery of a reliable measuring tool in the VibSensor that allowed me to conduct even more apples to apples comparisons using different VNF setups in a controlled environment. I realized VNF, when placed below the listener, delivered the best bang-for-buck. It wasn't even close to any other arrangement I was testing. Because you were not only feeling all the things we normally associate with VNF setups, but you were also physically feeling every mechanical motion of the sub, it's cabinet walls and the entire cabinet itself moving when sitting on it. I also discovered during my testing when sitting on the subwoofer directly, the addition of rubber isolators underneath the subwoofer took the TR experience to an entirely different level. These were exciting discoveries!

Finally everything started coming together after learning about the insanely low-priced $29 JBL's. Once I seen those, I immediately knew I was going to put them in our back riser as an experiment to see if all my small-scale experiments could be scaled upwards and that's when the BOSS was born in our back riser.

The BOSS truly is an insanely cheap and easy way to achieve unbelievable TR. And, I mean unbelievable in every possible interpretation of the word...lol. Even today, when I sit on one of my BOSS's and fire up a demo scene or a favorite album, a big smile comes to my face...I can't even help it....lol.

And to think, all it took was 6 JBL's at $29 each, a sheet of plywood, some speaker wire, connectors and screws to fasten the JBL's to the plaforms and we were in ULF heaven for every seat in the theater on both rows plus the 3rd row bar....all for less than $250....that brings another big smile to my face....lol.
Also thanks for the good words Tim! Now look who is inspiring us all! Awesome stuff man!!

EDIT: hmmmm ...just thinking out loud here. I'm sure the 12's can really get to moving too, but I remember testing my UM18's free air recently with 10-20hz sines to check for bad noises, and man tones of cone travel. Mounted in open baffle like Tim's for TR could be freaking nuts down low for ULF, as I'm sure the 12's are too. But the 18's are a lot bigger and way more magnet do deal with if one is doing the low profile one like on the first row. I'm sure I'll try the 12's first and will probably be enough, but may have to try the 18's too at some point if I can make it happen LOL I do like experimentation
carp, trhought and Nalleh like this.

My 'Blacked Out' Home Theater | Tactile Response for BASS | BassEQ for Filtered Movies
1400cuft Sealed Room on Suspended Floor | SY Triple Black Velvet Blackout | GIK Treatments | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.7.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | Epson 5040UB | Eyes 6.5' to 120" 16:9 AT Seymour Screen | Oppo 203 | Xbox 1X | Apple TV4K | 6x 18" Sealed Subs w/3x VNF | Subwoofer Riser w/6x JBL-12s | 6x Crowson MAs | 4x BK LFEs | MiniDSP 10x10HD

Last edited by SBuger; 03-03-2019 at 01:35 AM.
post #98 of 5067 Old 03-03-2019, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^^ @SBuger .....Thanks for the insight on these different VNF configurations and a bit of history on subs in risers on AVS. I'm going to check out those threads you referred to. I do recall the Rob Hahn Theater and that 24" sub underneath his second row.....that would be insane. Rob went on to say in one of his posts that he wishes he would have done more seats with subs underneath....couldn't imagine a 24" underneath, but that's what makes our hobby so cool.....the "what-if" factor....lol.

The BOSS with 12's is truly incredible, the feeling of every bass wave and the fidelity is so surprisingly good considering how simple it's design and construction is. The other cool thing about the mini-riser BOSS is it's over all height. One could even remove legs from existing furniture pieces and the overall height of the furniture would be about the same once placed on the mini-riser BOSS! How cool is that.

Larger drivers on a normal riser BOSS would be incredible....and rather easy to implement since the magnets will be hidden inside the riser. Can't wait to see all the different BOSS mutations that are sure to come. There will likely be even more cool ideas that come out of this approach to ULF and TR given the creativity of those on this forum...lol.

If you can fit those UM18's on your living room mini-riser BOSS that would be off-the-charts bananas! I'm rootin' for ya!

Also rootin' for Nalleh if he attempts a 12x SUPER BOSS!

Exciting just thinking about all the BOSS possibilities!
SBuger, Nalleh and biga6761 like this.
post #99 of 5067 Old 03-03-2019, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Just seen blister64's video in his "operation neighbor tickler" thread over in the DIY speaker forum. It shows the 24's in action in free air. Talk about excursion....check it out! Couldn't imagine those in a BOSS...that would be amazing!

The mini-riser BOSS would probably have to be about 3" tall to accommodate that excursion....let alone finding a chair that would be big enough to cover up the baskets and magnets...lol.

Now, those 24's in a full size riser BOSS.....imagine what that would feel like!
carp, SBuger, Nalleh and 1 others like this.
post #100 of 5067 Old 03-03-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
^^^^ @carp That's the same driver. They're sold as the CS-1214 (I've seen these at Walmart online also for about $35-45 at times). Best Buy sells them as CX-1200 and GX-1200. All 3 of these are the same driver, just different dust caps. As Nalleh said, just keep looking on line for these 3 models or over on the JBL Black Friday thread. Whenever they go on sale, someone always posts over there also. These little beauties are and incredible value!

Cool, thanks for the info, just ordered one from Walmart for 42 with free shipping.

It's fun to think of trying out larger drivers but I have a feeling that these might be the biggest I could fit under my front row HT chairs. I just want to see what the fit will be like under the chair, I'm really curious.

When you say these 12's can rattle your teeth in this setup I wonder if you are being literal. I have had that teeth rattling feeling before, and it's too much for me. I had it at Archaea's place when watching Fury Road when I was fully reclined with 3 18's near field and 5 18's up front. I also felt it at d_c's with his dual near field 24's. It also happened at lukeamdeman's place, and this was the only time I've felt it without nearfield subs being part of the equation. He has 8 low tuned 21's (port tune around 10hz) along with dual Othorns and can hit 150 db's in his room. Nuts!

I could probably get the same effect with my single 18, especially since it angles up so that I can recline all the way but I run my NF pretty low.

Anyway, that's my limit. All 3 times my bite actually changed a bit for a couple days after the fact and my teeth didn't come together like they normally do which was really annoying until they went back to normal.

It's equal parts funny/scary/stupid to be talking about these kind of effects from our love of bass. I was joking with Archaea recently that I need to have a HT mouthpiece.

My point is, I bet that the 12's are all I would need based on your descriptions. 5 years ago or so I just wanted more and more bass and had no limit but after experiencing so many HT setups, many of which stomp my own, I've come to realize that I don't want any more than my 9 18's. Like I posted before, I don't need as much feel as my NF/Crowson can put out I just want more of the feel that the front 18's put out since it's more realistic. For a while I thought that maybe I wanted more far field firepower but I decided I don't want that because it would mean more risk to my ears (ha, and teeth) so for a long time I have just left well enough alone... and then I stumble on to your BOSS solution...
post #101 of 5067 Old 03-03-2019, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Anyway, that's my limit. All 3 times my bite actually changed a bit for a couple days after the fact and my teeth didn't come together like they normally do which was really annoying until they went back to normal.
LOOL, WOW now we are talking !!

Never heard that happen before, and i wonder if that should be a sign........
SBuger and trhought like this.

Dual AVR 13.1.8 SWAtmos - Atmos 13.1.8/DTS X 9.1.8/Auro 3D 13.1 - Denon AVCX8500H+AVRX7200WA - Klipsch+KEF - 6xSI18" - 12xJBL 12" w/6xSLAPS M12 downfiring VNF - 3x2 stacked Crowson MA - 4xBK-LFE Dual TR Sleds- 6xNU6K(fan&trig mod) - Minidsp 10x10HD - Oppo UDP203 - XB1X - ATV4K - Vertex2 - JVC RS600 Dreamscreen V2 120"- Philips 65OLED873.
>>>>Nalleh’s HT<<<<
post #102 of 5067 Old 03-03-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
LOOL, WOW now we are talking !!

Never heard that happen before, and i wonder if that should be a sign........

Yeah, it's pretty stoooopid.

When my wisdom teeth came in back in early college I should have had them pulled because I had some issues with pain etc. but I ignored it because I was an idiot and I couldn't be bothered to take time off from drinking too much. When they finally grew in all seemed to be find but fast forward to my mid 40's and my dentist now says my mouth is getting pretty crowded and the gaps betweent he teeth aren't big enough (turns out our mouths get smaller with age) which could cause issues with bite changes.

So my guess is that I'm more suseptible to bass waves jacking with my teeth.

So I got that going for me....

I guess I'm still an idiot because I still haven't gotten the wisdom teeth pulled...

Way more info than anyone would want on the subject but there you go.
SBuger, trhought and Nalleh like this.
post #103 of 5067 Old 03-03-2019, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1534 Post(s)
Liked: 2236
What did you use for feet. Seems some flexibility would be better. Looking at these

https://www.rubberfeetwarehouse.com/collections/rubber-vibration-isolation-mounts-anti-vibartion-isolator/products/1-3-8-dia-x-1-5-16-ht-rubber-vibration-isolator-mount-feet-1-4-20-screw-hole
post #104 of 5067 Old 03-03-2019, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^^ @carp .....yeah, I didn't mean for the BOSS to sound too intimidating...lol. I think you will find the TR to be about right given your description of your goals. I've only experienced teeth rattling during single frequency sine sweeps where the frequency is parked for several seconds and I park my teeth close to one another and they start to chatter. Probably a lot different than the teeth chattering/bite-changing type of SPL induced TR you were listening to.

That's one of the beautiful things about the BOSS, being an open baffle design, the SPL is virtually non-existent but the TR is unbelievable. In a PM conversation earlier today about the BOSS we started talking about hearing damage. It's a topic that's becoming more important to me as I'm getting older. After reading the ULF hearing damage warning in the JTR subwoofer thread, I thought, wow, so glad I pursued TR without high SPL.

I'm getting respectable TR even at -15dB main volume listening levels....and when BEQ is added, the level usually goes to about -20 dB and the TR is so real and natural. At those listening levels, everything sounds so clear...the imaging is perfect and the listening is unstrained. I listen to a lot of music, some of it very loud before I built the BOSS's. I probably have some hearing loss due to repeated high level listening sessions......Metallica's S&M concert 5.1, AC/DC 5.1, Dire Straits 5.1, lots of Porcupine Tree, etc. to name a few.

Now, with the BOSS's, my ears don't ring after spirited listening sessions that sometimes go for 2-3 hours at a time. My ears are Thanking me! I do still listen to music around -10dB MV and just smile as those kick drums are hitting so good!

The other advantage of the BOSS's not having a lot of SPL, is they integrate into your existing system so easy. No need to re-calibrate and include the BOSS's in those calibrations because the SPL is so low and doesn't destructively interfere with your current optimization. Awesome time saver as I always dread when I have to get out my measurement tools. It usually means my system will be down for at least a week while I enter the world of "tweaking He!!" that we are all know so well.

Count me in the "getting wisdom teeth pulled too late in life" category also. Mine didn't come out until my late 30's. So glad I did it though. The weird thing is I hardly ever get sick now. Before the wisdom teeth extraction, I would get sick several times a year. Dentist says it's because my immune system was constantly battling my impacted wisdom teeth and now it can do it's job much better now....makes sense.
carp and SBuger like this.
post #105 of 5067 Old 03-03-2019, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Get a good oral surgeon. I had bone splinters coming through my gum fo 2 years. Remember waking up mid surgery with dudes knee in my chest yanking on me yelling Gas,Gas as I opened my eyes lol
biga6761 and eeyoreDK like this.
post #106 of 5067 Old 03-03-2019, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Killa View Post
What did you use for feet. Seems some flexibility would be better. Looking at these

https://www.rubberfeetwarehouse.com/...-20-screw-hole
Gorilla....great question....I should probably update my BOSS guidelines as the softness does play a factor.

I didn't see the durometer mentioned in the feet you linked to.....they look quite stiff, not allowing the BOSS platform to respond on demand.

Some who have built the BOSS already, have been using the feet I link to below. My rubber feet are around 30 durometer and are just simply stapled to the bottom of the plywood. No mounting bolts or sleeves or spacers. Just staple the rubber to the platform. That will give you an idea how soft the feet are.

The ones linked to below are around 20 durometer and seem to work quite well based on feedback from others. They also have self adhesive pads so you won't have to staple them to the bottom of the platform.

https://www.amazon.com/Platinum-Sili...83&sr=8-5&th=1
Rjloper9 likes this.

Last edited by trhought; 03-03-2019 at 05:04 PM.
post #107 of 5067 Old 03-03-2019, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks Tim, I'm going to pick those up and try a few others up the hardness scale. I'm curious how much a difference in shake or shudder it would play.

I need at least 12" to give the motor some venting. I'm looking at using 2x6 frame sitting on post in the corners and in the middle. This will give 6" open underneath the riser to help with cancelling. Then again I could sit the frame on the carpet and see if they can lift it off the ground lol

Great stuff

Jeff
trhought likes this.
post #108 of 5067 Old 03-03-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Get a good oral surgeon. I had bone splinters coming through my gum fo 2 years. Remember waking up mid surgery with dudes knee in my chest yanking on me yelling Gas,Gas as I opened my eyes lol
Holy balls man!!!

I'm laughing and super scared at the same time!
Gorilla Killa and biga6761 like this.
post #109 of 5067 Old 03-03-2019, 08:05 PM

Quote:
^^^^ @carp .....yeah, I didn't mean for the BOSS to sound too intimidating...lol. I think you will find the TR to be about right given your description of your goals. I've only experienced teeth rattling during single frequency sine sweeps where the frequency is parked for several seconds and I park my teeth close to one another and they start to chatter. Probably a lot different than the teeth chattering/bite-changing type of SPL induced TR you were listening to.

That's one of the beautiful things about the BOSS, being an open baffle design, the SPL is virtually non-existent but the TR is unbelievable. In a PM conversation earlier today about the BOSS we started talking about hearing damage. It's a topic that's becoming more important to me as I'm getting older. After reading the ULF hearing damage warning in the JTR subwoofer thread, I thought, wow, so glad I pursued TR without high SPL.

I'm getting respectable TR even at -15dB main volume listening levels....and when BEQ is added, the level usually goes to about -20 dB and the TR is so real and natural. At those listening levels, everything sounds so clear...the imaging is perfect and the listening is unstrained. I listen to a lot of music, some of it very loud before I built the BOSS's. I probably have some hearing loss due to repeated high level listening sessions......Metallica's S&M concert 5.1, AC/DC 5.1, Dire Straits 5.1, lots of Porcupine Tree, etc. to name a few.

Now, with the BOSS's, my ears don't ring after spirited listening sessions that sometimes go for 2-3 hours at a time. My ears are Thanking me! I do still listen to music around -10dB MV and just smile as those kick drums are hitting so good!

The other advantage of the BOSS's not having a lot of SPL, is they integrate into your existing system so easy. No need to re-calibrate and include the BOSS's in those calibrations because the SPL is so low and doesn't destructively interfere with your current optimization. Awesome time saver as I always dread when I have to get out my measurement tools. It usually means my system will be down for at least a week while I enter the world of "tweaking He!!" that we are all know so well.

Count me in the "getting wisdom teeth pulled too late in life" category also. Mine didn't come out until my late 30's. So glad I did it though. The weird thing is I hardly ever get sick now. Before the wisdom teeth extraction, I would get sick several times a year. Dentist says it's because my immune system was constantly battling my impacted wisdom teeth and now it can do it's job much better now....makes sense.

I too wore out the S&M DVD (I am way more into their first 4 albums BUT the songs Bleeding Me and Outlaw Torn are off the charts good on S&M) along with their Cunning Stunts DVD a couple decades ago when I had Cerwin Vega speakers and sub. Iron Maiden's Rock in Rio and Dream Theater's Scenes from New York were in heavy rotation too.

Interesting about not gettting sick much anymore, that does make sense.

I love your descriptions of the BOSS setup, sounds like it is exactly what I'm looking for.

Just now I realized that I can't try it out fully on my main seat. I was going to try it on one seat (mine) to see what to expect for the rest of the seats but I forgot that my right arm rest is actually a part of the seat next to me and isn't connected to my seat if that makes sense. Hmmm I guess I could just try it on that seat instead since both arm rests are a part of that chair.

I remember you saying that you low pass filter at around 40hz. What happens/how does it feel if you don't run a low pass? I'm guessing it's kind of like the Crowsons. I like them down low, not so much up high.
trhought likes this.
post #110 of 5067 Old 03-04-2019, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^^ Hey carp....yeah, I'm definitely more into the earlier Mighty Met also, but something about the live concert 5.1 mixes that are just pure joy to me when listening at volumes normally associated with concerts. Now, with the BOSS, I can dial the MV back about 15 dB and those kick drums sound more real than ever....it's like I'm in the front row right next to one of those stacks....except no ear ringing afterwards...lol.

For your first BOSS build, that's a bummer about the right arm rest on your MLP seat not being part of that chair but rather the one next to it, but no biggie. You have a couple options...build 1 BOSS platform underneath both of them and place a sub under each chair as long as the curve for those 2 chairs layout OK on 1 4x8 sheet of plywood. You will have to order another driver though for this to work and this will require a bit more time due to laying out the chairs on the one sheet to get everything right.

If just experimenting and you don't mind the look of a single platform under each chair later down the road, then, yes, just build one BOSS platform with one driver that can fit under any of the chairs. That way, this summer when you can dedicate more time to it, you can still use that 1 platform for any of the chairs and just simply build 3 more. This will also allow you to experiment to see if 2 separate platforms under adjacent chairs without common armrests results in a sensation that doesn't feel right. If it doesn't feel right, I'd recommend the first option above (1 platform for 2 adjacent chairs). Hope this makes sense.

For the LPF for LFE setting, I use the 80Hz setting in the AVR. I've found going higher than that doesn't feel natural as the platform is moving when it really shouldn't be moving. You'll know it when you start to dial in the LPF. It will just start feeling right when the other settings don't. I've found 80Hz works great! For the mini-riser BOSS, just remember the 80/80/180 rule. 80Hz LPF for LFE / 80 watts per driver and 180 degrees out of phase with the mains since the drivers are upside down in a mini-riser BOSS.

For a taller BOSS in a traditional riser, the rule is 80/80/0. 80Hz LPF / 80 watts per driver and 0 degrees out of phase.....basically the BOSS in a full riser height platform should be in-phase with the mains since the drivers will be mounted with magnets into the cabinet like your mains.
carp likes this.
post #111 of 5067 Old 03-04-2019, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Tim, I'm going to pick those up and try a few others up the hardness scale. I'm curious how much a difference in shake or shudder it would play.

I need at least 12" to give the motor some venting. I'm looking at using 2x6 frame sitting on post in the corners and in the middle. This will give 6" open underneath the riser to help with cancelling. Then again I could sit the frame on the carpet and see if they can lift it off the ground lol

Great stuff

Jeff
Jeff....That sounds like it will be a great platform to deliver good seat-to-seat tactile for everyone on it since it will be pretty darn rigid with the 2x6's. The rubber isolators attached to the bottom of each post separating the entire platform from the carpet will be icing on the cake.

Since you're BOSS will have the speakers mounted into the cabinet, you really don't need the larger Amazon isolators I linked to. There's an option in that same link to select smaller isolators and save some money. As long as each of those posts are separated from the carpet by 1/2" or so, that will be plenty.

The larger isolators I linked to were for a mini-riser BOSS where you have to allow the face of the drivers some breathing room so they can physically move better since the speakers are mounted upside down. There's a drawing in Post 29 that shows that the height of the isolator in a traditional riser BOSS isn't that critical.
post #112 of 5067 Old 03-04-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:

The larger isolators I linked to were for a mini-riser BOSS where you have to allow the face of the drivers some breathing room so they can physically move better since the speakers are mounted upside down. There's a drawing in Post 29 that shows that the height of the isolator in a traditional riser BOSS isn't that critical.

I'm wondering if the isolators that come with the Crowsons would work great for this? They are shorter than the 1.5 inch tall isolators that you linked above, I think they are around .75 inches. Do you think that would give enough room for the driver? I want to minimize the height increase as much as possible.
post #113 of 5067 Old 03-04-2019, 09:06 AM

On second thought it probably isn't worth it just to save .75 inches since the Crowson isolators are so expensive and I would need to get more of them.
post #114 of 5067 Old 03-04-2019, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^^ Hey carp......3/4" overall height might work...it could start choking the BOSS response at lower frequencies when the JBL excursion is really high and moving lots of air. You could always try it to see. Also, not sure how soft the Crowson isolators are. If they're softer, they will probably compress when sitting on them and start to choke the JBL's even more since they'll be closer to the floor. Won't hurt to try though to see if you can notice a difference since you already have them on hand. One member did put washers underneath his isolators to raise his mini-boss a little bit more since he was on plush carpet with lots of padding below. That could be an option with the Crowson isolators if you want to use what you have.
post #115 of 5067 Old 03-04-2019, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
On second thought it probably isn't worth it just to save .75 inches since the Crowson isolators are so expensive and I would need to get more of them.
The Crowson isolators are the same thickness as the actuators: 28mm/1.1inch.

>>>>Nalleh’s HT<<<<
post #116 of 5067 Old 03-04-2019, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^ Thanks Nalleh! Even better with 1.1" tall Crowson isolators. If they are somewhat soft, they should work just fine. 👍
eeyoreDK likes this.
post #117 of 5067 Old 03-04-2019, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Updated BOSS Guidelines in Post 29

BTW....updated Post 29 earlier today with additional guidelines on how to select BOSS isolators. Also, included a link to isolators that have proven to work well in both mini-riser and normal riser BOSS applications. The mini-riser BOSS isolators should be a minimum of 1" thick, while the normal riser BOSS only needs isolators around 1/2" thick.

The link I provided allows you to chose what size isolator you need depending on what type of BOSS riser you have.
Rjloper9 and dgrizzard like this.
post #118 of 5067 Old 03-04-2019, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So I need kick over the edge. I pulled the 18's out of the manifold and with the 2"roll I'm going to need to be at 14" and that's right on the edge because frame of the chair wont accommodate it. While I dont need the height sitting it just seems high. I put the driver in the chair and its 34" tall.

Is this going to be too.much overkill? Part of me has me thinking like carp and try a chair first. These are made for IB and the Fs is 18hz so I hate not to use them

Should I do a drop down cutout in a full riser so I can get the magnet up over the deck? Firing like a mini Boss. Only concern is sag, they are fairly compliant so long term cod be a problem.

This is 18's next to a 12. I have 2 12's but the Fs is 38hz
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190304_143805_1551734052354.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	2534262  

8hz ULF TR for the masses and the Cashless. Like a BOSS

If you can't stand behind our troops stand in front of them
post #119 of 5067 Old 03-04-2019, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^^ Jeff....those 18's are huge and would definitely be awesome in a BOSS configuration of some sort....especially with an Fs of 18Hz.

A mini-riser BOSS with those 18's would be an engineering feat if you can pull it off! That's why the JBL's work much better because of their smaller size and respectable Fs of 28Hz. Even a 15 is significantly bigger than a 12, let alone an 18 in a mini-riser BOSS...lol.

For your traditional riser BOSS, if you really want to use the 18's and they don't have any other use, they could definitely be shoe-horned into your platform somehow. I'm just not sure if the extra effort will be worth it. I'm getting incredible TR with just 3 12" JBL's in our back riser and it weighs close to 1,000 lbs and nearly 1500-1800 lbs with 4 people on it.

If you can snag 1 or 2 of the JBL's for $30-40 each, they would be better building blocks for your single platform experiment similar to carp's.

I've also thought a lot about the sag with the JBL's but since it's suspension is rather stiff, I'm not losing too much sleep over it, especially since they're a car audio speaker and probably designed for horizontal mounting. Your 18's may be a different story...probably have to check with the manufacturer to make sure an overhung or underhung voice coil design won't be effected by the sag.

Sorry....probably not much help in pushing you over the edge. If the manufacture says the 18's are fine in a horizontal configuration, I would love to see an 18" BOSS for sure and hear your impressions of it.....lol.
post #120 of 5067 Old 03-04-2019, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm going to cannibalize my ib manifold and slap one together. if I can keep it to 7" I'll be ok with it. Hard to tell if this will fit without doing it, trial run shouldn't take but a couple hrs to put together

Long term sag could occur but for what I'm doing he didn't think I'd ever notice.

I found a 12" Dayton HO if need to punt
trhought likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page